Choosing a single-shot .410

PDA

gbeauvin
February 27, 2014, 01:16 PM
Any thoughts on Yildiz vs. H&R vs. whatever other options are out there? The little folding Yildiz is really appealing right now, but I haven't had a chance to actually handle one (Academy's inventory system is really terrible).

-GB

If you enjoyed reading about "Choosing a single-shot .410" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rule303
February 27, 2014, 01:29 PM
Your grand children will still be trying to wear out an H&R. They are heavy for what they are though, since they are built on the same receiver as a 12ga, and the barrel is the same diameter at the breech. There are also lots of older Mossberg and Stevens bolt actions out there cheap, some single shot, and some repeaters. I have a Mossberg 500E pump that didn't cost much more than a new H&R single, and is more practical IMO.

plumberroy
February 27, 2014, 05:07 PM
I've never seen a Yildiz shotgun so I can't say anything about it I have a dozen or more H&R's and have good service from all them. For a beat around 410 I have a rossi . For one reason H&R make one frame for 410 through 12 Ga Rossi has a 410 sized frame makes a lighter slimmer gun . This is the only place where I choose a rossi over H&R's
Roy

RPRNY
February 27, 2014, 05:10 PM
Yildiz. I have several Handis and love them. But the Yildiz is a more refined little gun.

plumberroy
February 27, 2014, 05:27 PM
Yildiz. I have several Handis and love them. But the Yildiz is a more refined little gun.
The pictures I have seen it seem like a nice little gun. Is the 410 built on a 410 sized frame?
Roy

JSH1
February 28, 2014, 12:28 AM
I have an H&R and like it. I've never handled a Yildiz single shot but their over / under's are nice looking guns.

I vote H&R because of their barrel accessory program. H&R has 18 shotgun barrels, 2 rifle barrels, and a muzzleloader barrel that they will fit to your SB-1 shotgun receiver. As others have said, the receivers are the same from .410 to 12 ga. If you get a SB-2 rifle receiver you can fit any of the above plus and additional 24 rifle barrels. http://www.hr1871.com/Support/accessoryProgram.asp

I have a .410 barrel and a 20 ga vent rib barrel w/ interchangeable chokes.

Bull Nutria
February 28, 2014, 10:38 AM
I bought a 410 and a 20 ga baikal hammerless single
shot from wholesale hunter $125 each seem like nice guns both are youth model.have safety and no external hammer
Bull

jaguarxk120
February 28, 2014, 11:54 AM
The Baikal's are finished very nicely inside. They also have a cocking indicator showing the hammer cocked, nice touch.

Some people do not like the finish on the stocks, but then look what you get with some of the other single shot offerings.

I think the Baikal is a very nice buy.

Marlin 45 carbine
February 28, 2014, 01:06 PM
don't have an H&R .410 but do the 12ga and 20ga which can be had with either full, modified or ic chokes.
IIRC the .410 comes only w/a full choke.
you will never break one for sure built like a tank
takes down for packing too.

kbbailey
February 28, 2014, 02:26 PM
I have an entire wheelbarrow full of H&Rs. I like 'em. In fact, Im taking my SB2 .30-06 to Texas boar hunting tomorrow. They are simple, reliable, and compact.
....Just be advised: .410 ammo isn't cheap to buy, and it is a really light load for hunting purposes. Just my $.02

If you enjoyed reading about "Choosing a single-shot .410" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!