DFW Group Shoot 04.25.04

PDA

TechBrute
April 1, 2004, 10:02 PM
Time for another DFW Shoot. Based on our Yahoo poll, April 25th seems to be the best date for most. We've decided that this will be a rifle-heavy shoot, so bring the boomsticks. I'm pretty sure there's pistol action at Gibsons, if you really feel the need.

I'll suggest that we post the rifles that we'll be bringing so that if someone doesn't have a rifle, they can buy some ammo and shoot yours. All are welcome and there'll be more than enough rifles to go around.

The discussion has leaned towards Gibsons in Garland for the venue. If you have other ideas, speak up! We love a good discussion.

To keep my reputation as the Local Poll Whore, I've put a poll (http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/THR_DFW/surveys?id=1195976) up for the best time to start.

Here's a link to previous discussions and the start of our group. (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=70439)

If you enjoyed reading about "DFW Group Shoot 04.25.04" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
tiberius
April 1, 2004, 10:13 PM
Allrighty then....

Will Bring:

M1A: 7.62 NATO - Natch!
Win. 94 - 44 RM - need to sight in new peep sight.

Can Bring if requested:

M1 Garand - Beautiful late production Springfield ~1954, 30.06 - don't have a lot of ammo on hand right now.
SKS - Russian in great condition - 1955 – 7.62X39
Ruger 1022 – SS Manlicher stock – scoped - .22 lR – like everyone else has I imagine.

RRTX
April 1, 2004, 10:23 PM
I'm in :D I'll have my AR and maybe my SKS. I'd love to put a few rounds thru that M1A Tiberius :cool:

TechBrute
April 1, 2004, 10:37 PM
I'll bring some ARs.
I also need to break in a new LTR in .308, so it will most likely make an appearance.
I've got a Savage .223 that I'll bring.
I might buy a VEPR or other AK before then, but I just bought another Kimber yesterday, so the gun embezzlement fund is at the critical "wife might notice" point.

Tiberius, I'd like a few minutes at that M1A. That's one of the rifles that I keep wondering why I don't have.

RRTX
April 1, 2004, 10:47 PM
Anyone know what this range is like?

TechBrute
April 1, 2004, 10:49 PM
I think it's up to 200 yards, but it's at least 100 yards, so we can at least sight the stuff in.

TechBrute
April 2, 2004, 01:01 AM
Here's a map to the proposed site for this shindig.

http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?ed=OTnEZ.p_0ToL6bcrm.F1tUtN.PVj8Xg-&csz=mesquite+tx&country=us

aguyindallas
April 2, 2004, 09:43 AM
Well, I will bring my Russian SKS and Russian M44 carbine. Anyone know what the ammo rules are here? Will they let us shoot Wolf fmj?

roo_ster
April 2, 2004, 10:43 AM
Rifles I WILL Bring
Remington, Nylon 66, .22_LR
Mauser, Spanish, FR8, 7.62_NATO
Schmidt-Rubin, Swiss, K31, 7.5_Swiss

Rifles I MIGHT Bring, if anybody is interested...Speak Up!
Remington 7400 .30-06
Mauser, Yugo, M48, 8x57
Mauser, Swede, M96/38, 6.5x55

Gibsons: How to Get There
I. East of I635 in Mesquite
II. Get toward that side of Dallas
A. If coming from North
1. US80 east away from Dallas ~5 miles
2. Lawson Road Exit, Lawson Road south ~2miles on left
B. If coming from South
1. I20 east away from Dallas ~5 miles
2. Not Sure Which Exit, Lawson Road nouth ~2miles on right

Gibson's: What It's Like
Outdoors
Covered shooting positions
Pistol range on left, rifles on right
Fixed target stands for both
Pistols have two distances of stands
Rifle out to 200 yards, several distances
All rifle from bench, several lefty benches available
FMJ for rifles OK
Owners a bit crotchety, pay no mind
Year membership: $10
Range fee: $8, if a recall
Can buy various targets & ammo
Owner is sole range officer
Owner declares range hot/cold at set time intervals
When Range COLD:
Unload weapon
Leave action open (if possible)
Step away from firing line

I generally prefer a little more free-form range that allows off-the-bench riflery, but Gibson's is about as good as it gets WRT public ranges.

Gibson Outpost Shooting Range
1712 Lawson Rd
Mesquite, TX 75181
(972) 222-8127

Hawk
April 2, 2004, 07:30 PM
Well allrighty, then...

Will definitely be bringing:

1. Rem Sendero 7mm RUM (needs sighting in w/new scope).

2. Ruger #1-H Tropical in .416 Rigby (for anyone who may have missed it the first time - got a whole new box 'o ammo :D ) Aguyindallas - take note - lotsa rounds to burn this time - good chance to show it who's boss.

Will probably bring:

3. Rock River Varmint HB 24" EOP, 8-25 Mil-Dot Springer Scope, AR-15 distant cousin (weighs too much to be a proper AR-15).

Will bring on request:

4. Swiss K-31 (maybe 50 rounds of Swiss 7.5 on hand).

5. Norinco MAK-90 with Choate stock. 30 round Bulgarian mags. If a Swiss watch was ever built like a locomotive, this would be it.

6. Frankengun - Bushmaster Dissipater upper with Rock River lower, A2 layout - no gizmos - "return to the basics" type AR-15. Techbrute has seen it - it looks pretty "sparse" next to his decked out AR's.

7. Coupla Russian MN's - both shortened, both barely shoot minute of capitalist. Counterbore on the one with the laminated stock measures 3/4 of the total barrel length. :(

8. Enfield Jungle Carbine - not yet shot - still in the SOG shipping box. Proper headspace is probably like the lotto - possible, but wouldn't count on it.

Alduro has ruined me - I may have to buy my first shotgun since I sold my last one 30 years ago. Oh well, grin factor is higher than I would have guessed.

Gun range digression follows:

DFW area trivia: DFWGun range allows shotguns - no restrictions on ammo apart from no "Dragon Breath" or similar. Alduro advises me this is not unusual, but it is unusual that it applies to us mere mortals (non LEO).

If the consensus is that the Shooting Gallery is preferable, perhaps we could use DFWGun's policy at least as a bargaining chip - I'm already a member of a range that allows shotguns, why would I quit to join one that doesn't?

Alduro. You're the one that started me down the path to the darkside. What do you think?
:D

orangeninja
April 2, 2004, 07:33 PM
I will bring 2 stock Saiga 7.62x39's ...(never did find a .308) Will they allow shotguns? (the origional boomstick):D

Hawk
April 2, 2004, 07:41 PM
I believe I've got 2 of the Saiga 7.62 mags that I got from CDNN back when I owned my Saiga. I'll bring 'em along - if they fit, they're yours. I think they're 5 round thingies.

TechBrute
April 2, 2004, 09:55 PM
Will they allow shotguns? Good question, since it's been mentioned that they only allow shooting from a bench.:confused:

Alduro, since we elected you our official leader(what? you didn't get the memo?), why don't you give them a buzz and see what they say. If they say no, tell them you'll call in the black helicopters on them.:evil:

Hawk
April 3, 2004, 01:11 AM
what? you didn't get the memo?
:evil:

aguyindallas
April 3, 2004, 01:57 PM
Looks like another great shoot!

Hawk, I will have a little one on one with the Beast and see if I can "tame" it's wild instincts, lol.

I would like to see the MAK90 as I have never shot one. It's in 7.62X39...right?!? If so, I've got plenty of Wolf to blast if we can use them anyway.

Although Winchester is about as far from my house as I can think of for a range, I think I really like it. I enjoyed having that whole range to ourselves and the little lounge area outside of it was nice too. Maybe Alduro can get strong with them and see about the shotgun issue.

One last thing...at some point, I would love to shoot some trap/skeet. I am far less than skilled, so anyone that wants to help me out in that area...speak up! Not something immediate necesarily, but sometime in the future. Perhaps a shotgun day I guess, lol...

roo_ster
April 4, 2004, 01:26 AM
agauyindallas:

My dad & I used to shoot skeet every other weekend...when I was a kid, many moons ago. It is a dadgum hoot, IMO.

Unfortunately, I tried my hand at it a coupla years back and thouroghly embarassed myself. A nice, heaping helping of humble pie. THAT is a skill which deteriorates F.A.S.T., & mine is all gone.

Anyway, I also wouldn't mind shooting skeet again & have a Remmy 1100 that has been neglected lo, these many years.

I hear there is this new fangled thing called "sporting clays." I suspect I oughta wait until doing some skeet & trap before I tackle that, however.

Hawk
April 4, 2004, 10:04 AM
Aguyindallas - MAK-90 will coming along.

Yes - is chambered in 7.62 X 39. Something about those Russian firearms sure loves Russian ammo.

TechBrute
April 5, 2004, 01:06 AM
It's looking like this shindig will start at noon. Have we figured out an after-venue yet? :D

CatsDieNow
April 6, 2004, 02:47 PM
I'm in. I've only got rimfire rifles though. :p

Will definitly bring a Ruger .17HMR and .22lr and possibly a friend who's got some bigger toys.

I don't think I've met any of you guys, but I shouldn't be too difficult to spot - tall, blonde and female. :D

TechBrute
April 6, 2004, 02:51 PM
Glad to have you. You're more than welcome to come and bring friends, as well. Feel free to join the Yahoo group in my signature line for more local info.

patentnonsense
April 6, 2004, 02:55 PM
The Gingerman does not have a full bar - but Two Rows on Greenville does.

Or maybe somebody can suggest a place in the West End?

TechBrute
April 6, 2004, 03:24 PM
Two Rows is fine with me, although I'll pretty much go with the group consensus. If I'm the only one that wants a full bar, I don't want to be a stick in the mud.

Delmar
April 6, 2004, 03:40 PM
I'll be bringing a Rem 700 VS-308
Rem 700 270 Win

Lennyjoe
April 7, 2004, 12:35 AM
April huh. Bummer!!

I will be in Wichita Falls in May for 2 weeks. Wish it was April so I could attend.

Would be interesting to see how you Texans hold a shoot.;)

aguyindallas
April 7, 2004, 10:02 AM
Lenny,

If its any consolation to you...we will most likely have a May shoot also. We have started a group of folks that get together monthly for this...so maybe sometime you can join us.

Lennyjoe
April 7, 2004, 01:55 PM
I will keep an eye out for the May shoot.

I will also be in San Antonio in June.

RRTX
April 7, 2004, 10:22 PM
I'm sure even if you come down on a weekend that we aren't having our normal monthly shoot that some of us would be glad to meet up for some range time. I know that it doesn't take much of an excuse for me to go to the range :evil:

Lennyjoe
April 7, 2004, 11:55 PM
Sounds good to me.

I will post when I firm up the dates.

So far its 9-21 May in Wichita Falls and 6-18 June in San Antonio

Cinomed
April 8, 2004, 05:27 PM
I just talked to Gibson Outpost, Pistols and Rifles only no shotguns.
:uhoh:

In that case I have no gun to bring, if I show up with some 7.62x39 ammo will someone show me how and let me shoot their gun/guns?
I am a new shooter :(

Delmar
April 8, 2004, 05:51 PM
Cinomed-you're welcome to jerk the trigger on what I'm bringing, and you'll find out most of these guys are the same way:D

tiberius
April 8, 2004, 06:52 PM
Cinomed,

You will be welcome to shoot what I bring (M-1A & Win. '94 in .44 RM for sure), but you still have two weeks.....Buy a rifle. :) You can get a Yugo SKS for < $150 and use that 7.62 in your own rifle. Big Town's monthly gun show is the weekend of 4/17-18 and you should be able to get a good deal there.(http://www.classicshows.com/bigtown.htm). I'd even go with you, but my mother is coming to town for a visit that weekend. :)

Speaking of gun shows, we should definitely go as a group to the next Market Hall show on 6/12 or 6/13.

Cinomed
April 8, 2004, 10:21 PM
Thanks guys,
Tiberus, the wife vetoed me from participating in the April 15th BAG festivities.
It has taken me a lot of talking but she is not opposed to me owning any more guns she just wants me to do a couple of things before I buy one.

A: Make her confident I know what I am doing and won't kill myself

B: Find a gun I will enjoy and shoot, and not leave in the closet for years being a wate of money.

Honestly cannot blame her, I have a habit of starting hobbies I dump, and she cannot accept this is higher calling than a hobby.

oops, rambling
Anyrate, if I can make it, I will try and show up, meet y'all and shoot some

TechBrute
April 8, 2004, 10:31 PM
Cino,

First of all, don't sweat the lack of equipment. At our last shoot, there was MORE than enough to go around.

Secondly, bring your wife. If she's like my wife (or any other wife I know,) she's more likely to be OK with something that she's familiar with. IE, my wife is fine with me going out with my friends, because she knows them. She doesn't like shooting, but she's been a couple of times, so she knows what's up.

If you and your wife come (or if you come by yourself,) it's likely you'll pick up some pointers. None of us are really experts, but it seems that there are a few of us that are at least somewhat experienced enough that you may be able to learn something, seeing as how you're a new shooter. We are really concerned with safety, and we're a friendly bunch (except for Alduro, you have to watch out for him.:evil::D:neener: ) Everyone is willing to share their guns and their knowledge.

thumbtack
April 8, 2004, 11:21 PM
Will the shoot always be on a Sunday?

roo_ster
April 9, 2004, 12:43 AM
Cino:

I plan on bringing a few rifles & you're welcome to give 'em a whirl.

Just a question for you & others new to rifles: would y'all like a "Rifles 101" briefing before we hit the range? I don't want to insult aybody's pride/experience/whatever, but it is a whole lot easier to give pointers & training BEFORE you hit the firing line and have to shout over other rifles & through hearing protection. I'm sure we have a few guys with enough experience to get you stated off on the right foot.

DonNikmare
April 9, 2004, 01:19 AM
I plan on bringing my new CETME .308.

I got a "delay" on the FFL background check today :mad: . I should really apply for citizenship soon.

Hopefully I will get a chance to sight it in and work out any other issues before the shoot.

I bet my CETME will have a louder boom than alduro's Saigas :D

Gibson's seems like a nice enough place.

Oh and count me in for that rifle 101. It doesn't have to be all or nothing - those of us needing/wanting it could get it while the more advanced shooters go ahead and get started.

Anybody know how many lanes the rifle sections has and should we make a reservation in view of how many of us will show up? Would the Gibson owner be willing to reserve the rifle lanes for us?

Nik

tiberius
April 9, 2004, 07:48 AM
Honestly cannot blame her, I have a habit of starting hobbies I dump..... It's not a hobby, it's a way of life. :)

Hope you make it. It will be a GOOD opportunity to shoot a bunch of different rifles.

Splat Shot
April 9, 2004, 10:01 PM
I think Gibsons has about 20 rifle stations. The 200 yard targets are not always open but they do have 50 and 100 yards. Also, if you are shooting a rifle with no bolt hold open, you will be required to insert a spent case in the action to show that it is unloaded during a cease fire.

Did not see anyone bringing a FAL so I will bring a DSA STG58 and maybe some other toys.

Also would not mind taking a couple of shots out of an M1A, got one of those on my future acquisition list. So to confirm, this is at Gibsons at starting at noon on the 25th?

DonNikmare
April 10, 2004, 04:58 AM
I think Gibsons has about 20 rifle stations.

Great!!! :)

It would be neat if we all fired a shot right at the same time once but it might be difficult to do with so many of us.

Hey jfruser, do you think the owner would be willing to reserve some lanes for us or is overcrawding not likely to be an issue?

I GOT THE CETME today!!! :D :D :D

Nik

orangeninja
April 10, 2004, 05:20 PM
Hi guys I'm back....while I was out I got married and I've been getting as much as humanly possible for the last week....:D

Anyhow....where is the next shoot and when?

Nik...congrats on the Spanish .308.....I hope you make it to an even 1000 rounds before it breaks:evil:
just kidding...

Techbrute....did you get the VEPR? I think my Saiga's will be stock for only another couple of weeks before I make them "EVIL"'

anything else I missed?

TechBrute
April 10, 2004, 06:48 PM
Techbrute....did you get the VEPR? No, spent my embezzled gun money on a new Kimber instead. I'll probably pick the VEPR up next month.

while I was out I got married and I've been getting as much as humanly possible for the last week.... Enjoy it while it lasts... :neener: :D

DonNikmare
April 15, 2004, 12:09 AM
I got married and I've been getting as much as humanly possible for the last week....

We will have one slugish n tired alduro - lol

Nik

roo_ster
April 19, 2004, 03:32 PM
All:

It is likely that I talked a co-worker & his wife into joining our rifle shoot. They have no firearms experience and will attend my little rifle tutorial the morning of April 25. I have asked a couple of other friends if they are interested, but no response so far.

The tutorial will cover rifle safety, basic marksmanship, and basic rifle handling. When you are finished, you ought to be a safe rifle shooter and be able to hit the target at close range. I will make the assumption that those who arrive know nothing about firearms. This is not, "How to Be a Sniper in 5 Easy Steps," but more like, "How NOT to Injure Yourself or Others and While Hitting the Target." Carlos Hathcock, I ain't.

If you're wondering, I have no training CREDENTIALS whatsoever. I have, however, launched others into the shooting sports and delivered numerous blocks of training while I was in the service.

Requirements:
* Bring some sort of safety glasses or prescription glasses for eye protection. Safety is important. To paraphrase some wise fellow's sig line, "It's hard to look cool with a sucking chest wound."
* I'd recommend a new set of foam ear plugs. Sometimes ear muffs get in the way.

Date:
Sunday, April 25

Time:
9AM-11AM

Directions & Contact Information:
See THR_DFWer Group (http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/THR_DFW/)

Maps:
Yahoo Wide FOV Map (http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?zoomin=yes&name=Home&ed=KzUCDup_0TqbLFzrrWbUmne5t0EtcOwoZQQukw1im7F6RgcOyZcs.q_VdTaRq9syzkmJNlK8lJ5BNqO0Y0vQk4luqmVkdhStb6wdZEYDZlcUPg--&state=TX&csz=Richardson%2C+TX+75080-4804&ds=n&uzip=75080&mag=9&desc=&country=US&dma=623&cat=dine&resize=l&rezoom=0&.intl=us&compass=&pan_x=0&pan_y=0#mapcontent)

http://imgi.maps.yahoo.com/mapimage?MAPData=ljrMlfhyzy04yHPzF6OTk39E8SWIstfF97YRAngmF9yrwpyFsv1ebdmRn6_LB4HW8eHxWYyOpXjzIWDpHmAAJ.yYRBC5Igqpb97.Wufe0KV9xHRPdEz_TkiDVvkZdeARrImzFyOP

*The Four Rules of Gun Safety*
Rule One --
All guns are always loaded.

Rule Two --
Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.

Rule Three --
Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on target.

Rule Four --
Be sure of your target and what is behind it.

Billmanweh
April 19, 2004, 04:00 PM
not having a rifle myself, and assuming it's ok to mooch off of everyone else's rifles...

:rolleyes:

what kind of ammo should I pick up this week? I guess I'm asking what will be the most popular calibers represented this weekend.

TechBrute
April 19, 2004, 04:15 PM
Bill, you're more than welcome to use mine. I'll have .223 and maybe .308.

Billmanweh
April 19, 2004, 04:29 PM
what's a decent, inexpensive brand of .223 and .308 to look for?

orangeninja
April 19, 2004, 04:38 PM
Bill...try to get the cheapest nastiest most corrosive ammo available. It's not YOUR rifle and Techbrute loves a cleaning challenge....heck....see if you can get some black powder .223:evil:

I can't make it sunday....otherwise...my saiga is your saiga....and those guns LOVE the cheap stuff.;)

TechBrute
April 19, 2004, 04:49 PM
I can't make it sunday What!!??!!:eek: :confused:

The main reason for me going was to mock your rifle skills! :D

orangeninja
April 19, 2004, 05:19 PM
Sorry guys.....I got scheduled to work this weekend until 3:15PM....crappy. I would love to hand your @$$ to you any other time though Techbrute:neener:

TechBrute
April 19, 2004, 06:29 PM
Are you going to join us for the festivities afterwards? I you should have my cell if you want to meet us somewhere.

I would love to hand your @$$ to you any other time though Techbrute Where's the snoring smilie? Bring it on, brother Al.

orangeninja
April 19, 2004, 06:51 PM
Yeah Pecktoot.....email me your cell number. Techbrute....Pecktoot....Pricksoot....it all sounds the same.:o

TechBrute
April 19, 2004, 06:52 PM
No problem, smallburro. :D :neener:

aguyindallas
April 19, 2004, 07:06 PM
pricksoot....that was great! :D

tiberius
April 20, 2004, 09:02 AM
Great, I just got a new set of Peltor TacticalPro electronic muffs.....now I'll be able to hear you ladies bicker even when I'm shooting. :)

RRTX
April 20, 2004, 07:31 PM
I think we got a love connection going here, those are some cute pet names you guys have for eachother :neener:

TechBrute
April 20, 2004, 07:51 PM
I think we got a love connection going here, those are some cute pet names you guys have for eachother You're just jealous that you're being left out of our cute banter.

orangeninja
April 20, 2004, 08:58 PM
not much you can do with RRTX....maybe "Really Raunchy Texas Xenophobe?"

Smoke
April 22, 2004, 10:31 PM
Looks like I'll be coming up for a while. SHould get there for opening festivities, but have to leave early to drive over to Fort Worth to see my Mom.

Rifles I can add to the mix: (if anyone is particularly interested in any one of these PM me to make sure I throw it in)

Scoped AR15
Kimber 84M 22-250
Savage 99 - 300 Savage
Marlin 1895 45-70
Savage 300 Win Mag
Marlin .17v (17 Hornady)
Ruger 10/22
Marlin Lever .22
Savage pump 22
NEF 45-70

Won't throw them all in so if anybody wants something special....let me know.

Looking forward to it. I'll be the new meat.

Smoke

Sylvilagus Aquaticus
April 23, 2004, 03:17 AM
Ok, I'm going to try to come out there for this. It turns out I live a block from jfruser and I've offered to take a couple of toys over for his little impromptu class Sunday morning. I'm going to tempt fate and nerve damage and bring my M44, the Rotowhackulous (my STG58) and maybe my ancient Walther Sportmodell V to show you pups what old age and treachery can accomplish.

See y'all there. First round of prednisone and vicodin are on me.

Bring your own Tiger Balm.

Regards,
Rabbit.

Oh, nice CETME, Nik.

roo_ster
April 23, 2004, 08:07 AM
Smoke:

I've never fired a Savage 99 lever action in any caliber, but have been itching to. I'd be more than willing to trade off some time with any of my boomsticks in return.

TechBrute
April 23, 2004, 09:57 AM
I don't suppose that anyone has a Marlin or Winchester lever action in 357/38?

tiberius
April 23, 2004, 10:06 AM
No, but I am bringing my Winchester Trapper in .44RM. Same gun - more bullet. Its the 100 year anniversary model (1894-1994) with the “John Wayne” big loop lever and I just put a Williams peep sight on that needs to be sighted in. Hopefully the front won't be too low, but I won’t know until I try it. You will certainly be welcome to give it a try.

TechBrute
April 23, 2004, 10:15 AM
I think I will... Thanks, Scott.

patentnonsense
April 23, 2004, 10:32 AM
Well, I'm curious to get my hands on an STG FAL, and I'll be bringing some .308 hunting rounds. I'll also be bring a tasteful selection of bolt-actions, with a little ammo for each.

Does anybody have a boresighter? I've got a varminter which I think I may have swapped a scope onto before I parked it.

I'm happy to share some ammo for my rifles - no need to go purchase - but if anybody has odd factory rounds of 22-250, 300win, 375HH or 458 you'd like to shoot up, bring them along!

I'm also going to be active on the pistol range.

And did we ever decide on venue for afterwards? I propose Gingerman for geographical convenience (and wonderful beer), but it doesn't have a full bar -

Looking forward,

TechBrute
April 23, 2004, 10:35 AM
Does anybody have a boresighter? I've got a varminter which I think I may have swapped a scope onto before I parked it. If it's a bolty, I can boresight it for you without a boresighter.

Smoke
April 23, 2004, 10:47 AM
jfruser,

Savage Model 99 will be there.

Smoke

Sylvilagus Aquaticus
April 23, 2004, 11:20 AM
Sure, I'll bring my boresight.

orangeninja
April 23, 2004, 04:23 PM
Hey guys, I have a buddy in Iraq who needs some help. He lost a flashlight (a stinger) during a bunker raid recently. I have been able to replace the flashlight but he and his fellow squad members are having a shortage of 3volt lithium batteries. They are the photo battery size CR123A. If anyone is able to, please help donate some batteries for these guys. They are available pretty much everywhere but tend to be expensive. I have found a place called GST Uniform in Grand Prarie that has them for $3.00 each. Anyone williing to provide some email me at alduro@mailcity.com

I thought it might be nice to help some of our troops.

TechBrute
April 23, 2004, 04:34 PM
Surefire has them at $15 per box of 12.

Billmanweh
April 23, 2004, 05:24 PM
there's also a guy on candlepowerforums.com that sells them for $1 apiece (I think he still does, I might need to look). but if anyone else is in, I'll chip in for a dozen.

Billmanweh
April 23, 2004, 07:03 PM
what exactly is an SKS and what kind of ammo would I need to get if I want to run a few boxes through someone's Sunday?

Delmar
April 23, 2004, 07:04 PM
Unfortunately, I won't be making it this Sunday-got to meet with a nice lady in Colorado City about a new deer lease. Tried to put it off but it looks like some competition is trying to move in on me. Nice place tho-$500 a year and BIG deer, Turkey, and quail too. Deer stands already set up and the feeders are in place. Hope you guys have a great shoot!

TechBrute
April 23, 2004, 09:44 PM
Ok, whoever's familiar with Gibson's, is the firing line covered, or will we be hip deep in mud?

Splat Shot
April 23, 2004, 10:44 PM
All stations at Gibson's, rifle and pistol are covered. However, down range tends to get very muddy after a good rain so boots are recommended. If it rains hard tonight or Saturday, they might close the 200 yard lane(s).

Heads up for newcomers, you will have to buy a one year membership for about $10 plus your range fee of another $8-10.

Billmanweh, an SKS is 7.62 x 39. Origin is usually Russian, Chinese or Yugoslavian. Ammo runs about $2 for a box of 20. I'll bring mine, you are welcome to shoot a few rounds.

What time is everyone getting there?

TechBrute
April 23, 2004, 10:54 PM
noon

Splat Shot
April 23, 2004, 10:55 PM
One last thing, when you get there, leave all your gear locked up in your vehicle. Then go in though the front door and pay up. Then go back to your vehicle, get your stuff and proceed to the range.

The owner goes a bit mental when you haul all your stuff into the shop and lay it on his couch or if you take it to the range first and then come in though the back door. Kind of like the soup Nazi on Seinfeld.

Range sessions are 20 minutes then a cease fire. Rules are strictly enforced which is a good thing. The range is all concrete (no standing in mud) with concrete blocks covered with astro turf type carpeting for the shooting stations. Sand bags are plentiful.

TechBrute
April 23, 2004, 10:57 PM
Is the firing line covered?

orangeninja
April 23, 2004, 11:08 PM
Hey thanks for the tips on the batteries guys...I think I'll try to get some from surefire....that's a heck of a price.

I really wish I could make it tomorrow....but I have to go make America safe again. :D

TechBrute
April 23, 2004, 11:12 PM
but I have to go make America safe again. How? You gonna sell all your guns? :D hahahahaha...

Seriously, holler if you want to get together before the May shoot.

orangeninja
April 23, 2004, 11:17 PM
Actually yes...how about next Sunday?

TechBrute
April 23, 2004, 11:18 PM
Sounds good. Sending PM so as not to confuse the thread.

Splat Shot
April 24, 2004, 11:48 AM
TechBrute, the firing line is covered.

TechBrute
April 24, 2004, 12:08 PM
Ah yes, I'm a dumas. I see that you've had to tell me that twice now.:banghead:

I'll be there regardless of the weather, so if anyone has doubts, come on out!!

orangeninja
April 24, 2004, 02:06 PM
"Ah yes, I'm a dumas."

Glad I didn't have to remind you. By the way, I hear the firing line is covered.:neener:

TechBrute
April 24, 2004, 05:29 PM
I am SO going to put the smack down on you when I see you next... :cool:

DonNikmare
April 24, 2004, 05:35 PM
Looking foward to tomorrow. I just got called in to work this evening and hopefully won't be called in for tomorrow. If I do, it will be grand suckfulness!

jfruser,
I'm planning on coming to your house for the rifle 101. I lived a few bolks from you on West Shore Drive for 4 years while going to college.

Nik

CZSteve
April 24, 2004, 11:36 PM
Hello All,

Bummed that I won't be able to make it out to Gibson's for the rifle shoot tomorrow. :(

Had a motor go out in our dishwasher and need to put a new machine in tomorrow.
Just too much to get done and if I even tried to sneek out to shoot the 'boss' would shoot ME.

Realize we were planning on paying for the TigerValley course tomorrow while at Gibson's.
How else can we handle confirmation & payment in advance?
PayPal?

Have fun and stay dry.

geegee
April 25, 2004, 12:51 AM
Hey guys, it's been too long since checking in, but I figured I'd better stop by. My chances of being there tomorrow are about 50/50. I've already loaded my magazines, and will do my best to be there. At the worst, I'll be a little late. Hope to see you guys then, geegee.

roo_ster
April 25, 2004, 01:00 AM
Rifle 101 is on, 9AM at Chateaux Ruser. Come one, come all, but I only printed up 10 copies of the briefing, so if more than 9 show up, ya'll will be sharing briefing books.

It'll be Mauser 98-oriented ('cause that's what I got most of), but we'll hit other actions/models, too, even those new-fangled "semi-automatics."

So far, I have gotten word from:
DonNikmare
Sylvilagus Aquaticus
A buddy (Corvette Drivin' Bob) & his wife from work (first-time-shooters)
A college buddy who shot an AR15 once.
My wife

Ought to be a good time.

I'm looking forward to slinging lead down range.

DonNikmare
April 25, 2004, 01:08 AM
I've already loaded my magazines, and will do my best to be there.

I was wondering about doing this today... So far when taking my handgun and rifle to the range(I don't have a CHL) I have always had no mags loaded much less the gun itself.

In TX is it OK to have mags loaded in proximity of the firearm in the car's trunk while on the way to a range?

Looking forward to seeing all of you.

alduro what happened to coming out late after you get off of work?

Nik

Billmanweh
April 25, 2004, 01:19 AM
I don't think I'm going to make it either. I'm sick as a dog and the only way I could do any shooting right now is out the front door of a porta-potty.

paul, drop me a line sometime this week and we can hook up and I'll give you that box of .45 Ranger.

ok, I'm crawling back into bed...

:barf:

geegee
April 25, 2004, 01:27 AM
Bill-Thanks, will do (and I hope you're feeling better). Paul

tiberius
April 25, 2004, 07:05 AM
In TX is it OK to have mags loaded in proximity of the firearm in the car's trunk while on the way to a range? Don, In TX long guns are treated differently that hand guns. You can have a loaded long gun in your car legally no problemo. In fact you can technically carry a loaded long gun anywhere you want legally, but would probably get into some trouble for "created a public nuisance" or some such if you tried in town. In other words load ‘em up. :)

See everyone there at noon. I’ll be wearing my hip waders. :)

CZSteve, I am getting the feeling that you will need to make a parts run around noon today…..think about it.

CatsDieNow
April 25, 2004, 10:50 AM
Afraid I'm somewhat sick too. I'll have to make the next one. :(

TechBrute
April 25, 2004, 10:54 AM
Ok, just so everyone knows, I'll be there at noon regardless of weather, cancellations, etc. If you are on the fence, come on out, as you won't be shooting alone no matter what. :)

tiberius
April 25, 2004, 11:09 AM
I'll be there at noon regardless. If it's too wet or whatever, we'll just play it by ear from there....I've been wet before, I'm sure I'll be wet again....heck, I was born wet. :)

orangeninja
April 25, 2004, 11:42 AM
"alduro what happened to coming out late after you get off of work?"

Yesterday sucked for me....my truck broke down on me a 5 in the morning on my way to work in the rain.....then I stood out on a detail in the rain for over 3 friggin hours....I'm JUST NOW feeling dry.

Sorry I couldn't make it....I will deffinantly be at the next one. I will hook up with Techbrute Sunday if anyone else wants to come hang.

I still have Hawks SKS....Jim if you're reading this I have kept it nice and cozy...have it back to you real soon...(sorry about not making it)

I would like to pay for my part of going to Tiger Valley, can someone tell me where and how much to send. Techbrute, I already know the "where" is not to you.

RRTX
April 25, 2004, 12:12 PM
:fire: Dang it, looks like I'm not making it now. :fire: Our power was out yesterday at work so I couldn't go in and get stuff ready for monday so they just now called me in as I was loading the truck up :cuss: Figures, the one saturday every 2 months that I have to work gets screwed up on a weekend I have plans. :banghead: I'll try and get finished early and make it out there, but I don't know if that will happen. Alburro :D I told techbrute to let me know where ya'll plan to meet next weekend and I will come out. Alright I'm off to work, hopefully I will make it out there.

TechBrute
April 25, 2004, 08:27 PM
Just now got back. It turned into a beautiful day. Anyone who bailed because of the weather really screwed up.:D

Alduro, Hawk didn't make it.

Also, we're going to just pay at the class. We hope that everyone who's committed will stick to it, as it wouldn't be too classy to leave a few of us out there to cover the whole thing.

geegee
April 25, 2004, 09:34 PM
We hope that everyone who's committed will stick to it, as it wouldn't be too classy to leave a few of us out there to cover the whole thing.
Roger that. And one other consideration, if you will. From time to time I'll run in to TJ Pilling at the local gun shows. Ever seen TJ? His forum name over at AR15.com is "MaDeuce." It fits him very well, if you get my drift. I reallllly don't want to tell him that after reserving that day at TIGER Valley, and having him line up the instructors, that we've decided that we won't be doing it after all, due to a lack of interest.....:what:

As for me-I'm still jazzed, and I promise you guys that this will be two of the best hours you can commit to your shooting skills. I'm ticked off that I couldn't make it today, but it was unavoidable.

One other thing that might be of interest, as regards the TIGER Valley course. If any of you guys don't have a kydex holster and a spare mag carrier for the course, you may want to consider buying one. We'll certainly be drawing from a holster, and while a good leather holster will certainly get the job done, kydex will do it better (certainly when re-holstering your weapon). I'm not trying to make everyone go out and spend a lot of dough, just passing this along as a suggestion. Fobus holsters can be had for around $20-25 brand new, and used kydex holsters are sold every day on the different forums, so it's something to consider.geegee

orangeninja
April 25, 2004, 09:44 PM
Okay guys....what date exactly is this going to be? Next month all of my days off will be on a Friday and Saturday only.

Got the Fobus.....if you guys get one, get some silicone to slick it up a little, otherwise you will have a bear of a time getting it in and out.

No Techbrute...the KY won't work.:p

TechBrute
April 25, 2004, 10:19 PM
Geegee, yes, I've met TJ, and I won't be the one to tell him that. I'll just hand over the list of no-shows and run...

the KY won't work. You speak as if from experience... :neener:

geegee
April 25, 2004, 10:22 PM
Okay guys....what date exactly is this going to be? Next month all of my days off will be on a Friday and Saturday only.
Say what?!! :what: WE ARE COMFIRMED FOR MAY 23RD! That would be a Sunday.

Talk to me, Bro....

TechBrute
April 25, 2004, 10:33 PM
According to our Yahoo role call, we've got 8, not including GeeGee. So we're one short if Alduro doesn't go.

geegee
April 25, 2004, 10:47 PM
I have a friend who I shoot with quite often, who I believe would like to attend. I really don't think we'll be limited to ten, even though that's the number we've been discussing. If any other DFW High Roader reading this is interested in participating, I say "come on in!" Nothing magical about the number ten, as regards this course. What do you guys think?

TechBrute
April 25, 2004, 11:05 PM
I thought the MINIMUM was 10. I misunderstood. Cool...

geegee
April 25, 2004, 11:26 PM
I thought the MINIMUM was 10.
No, I think you're right (based on the group price we'll need to pay), but we could certainly add some guys without much problem.

A PM heading your way.

Billmanweh
April 26, 2004, 12:14 AM
I would strongly suggest getting everyone's money in advance. Maybe set a deadline at next Monday to have our money in and that way we'll know for sure that we have enough people, and then if anyone else wants in they can just bring their cash to the range. But by having everyone pay in advance, at least we know for sure that the trainer will get paid before we get too far into this. If everyone agrees, just let me know where to send my $35.

Caliburn
April 26, 2004, 12:20 AM
:( I didn't see this thread until today. How was the shoot? How many people made it?

Do you meet there every month? I'd like to come to the next one.

TechBrute
April 26, 2004, 12:36 AM
GeeGee, you wanna bankroll it?

geegee
April 26, 2004, 12:37 AM
If no one else has volunteered and you guys are comfortable with me being the "cashier," I'll collect the dough. You can just email me and I'll shoot you back my address. If someone else is doing it, no problem.

Billmanweh
April 26, 2004, 12:38 AM
sounds good to me, I can give you the cash the same time I give you those .45s

geegee
April 26, 2004, 12:39 AM
Bill-that'll work fine with me. Paul

TechBrute
April 26, 2004, 12:49 AM
New announcement:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=78875

orangeninja
April 26, 2004, 12:53 AM
Fer Christ's sake guys....does EVERYTHING have to happen on a Sunday? Good Lord.....man......I was so looking forward to an actual 3rd party training.:cuss:

Nobody's fault I guess except my own, but I don't think the other guy I work with will swap days off with me. He has to have Sunday off or die.....hard core religious guy.

How about we schedule some things on Saturday soon? Is this the only pistol training there you guys are taking? What time does the class start and when is it over? I don't have to be at work until 2PM but that probably negates my participation.:banghead:

Anyone interested in doing somthing like this on a Saturday soon?

Billmanweh
April 26, 2004, 12:57 AM
Anyone interested in doing somthing like this on a Saturday soon?

I'm still planning to try and hook up with Steve Moses at some point. Maybe we could try and swing that on a Saturday...

orangeninja
April 26, 2004, 01:01 AM
Oh PULLLLEEEEZZZZZ Bill.......I'm getting so left out here. Its like being in a fish bowl watching the world pass. It sucks.

Hook me up Bro........:D

geegee
April 26, 2004, 01:07 AM
AFAIK, we have yet to determine the time. I asked the question before, and seems like it hasn't been answered, so I don't see why we can't go for a morning class. My time on Sunday is also spent in church with my family, but if something special pops up, my wife will extend a little "grace" my way. ;)

So how 'bout it? Should we go for say a class around 9:00 am? I could contact TJ and see what he says. :confused:

geegee
April 26, 2004, 01:09 AM
I'm still planning to try and hook up with Steve Moses at some point. Maybe we could try and swing that on a Saturday...
I did a Saturday all day defensive carbine class with Steve and it was freakin' awesome! Oh yeah, baby...we'll keep that one on the back burner.

Billmanweh
April 26, 2004, 01:20 AM
sometime in the next couple of weeks I'll repost Steve's pricing information over at the yahoo forum

orangeninja
April 26, 2004, 10:27 AM
Hey a 9:00 AM class would probably work out just fine. Is this at their Dallas location? How long will it last?

TechBrute
April 26, 2004, 10:29 AM
In regards to the timing of the TJ training, we have a poll going to set the start time. Steve will need to let us know what the results are because it's one of those secret polls. Previously, we'd discussed starting it early due to temperature issues, and then starting the group shoot afterwards. If we start at 9, you should have no problem getting to work by 2 (unless you have to walk due to your truck being broke down. :( ) It's a two hour class.

orangeninja
April 26, 2004, 01:06 PM
I hope it will be at 9.........is the poll on our yahoo forum?

TechBrute
April 26, 2004, 01:22 PM
Yes.

aguyindallas
April 26, 2004, 06:31 PM
I just ended the time poll for us folks....check it out.

aguyindallas
April 26, 2004, 06:33 PM
Alduro:

By the way, I am the knucklehead that can ONLY get out on Sundays 90% of the time. We missed you yesterday!

DonNikmare
April 26, 2004, 11:02 PM
Great weather great people great shoot.

My first time to shoot at over 25 yrds. It was very fun for me and I still have a sore shoulder from patantnonsense's 300 and 375. But I got off easy - just ask TechBrute about his tit :neener:

Nik

alduro
I still want to do something but I can't get my 97b even close to 100%. I got the brass to behave on its way out but I'm still having some premature slide locks ftf's and the mag popping out with +P ammo. Once I get it all worked out we can set a date.

Nik

TechBrute
April 26, 2004, 11:23 PM
But I got off easy - just ask TechBrute about his tit Let's think twice before taking about getting off and my tit in the same sentence.:scrutiny: :D Just so everyone knows what the deal is, I fired the .375 and pinched myself in between the stock and the bench. It sounds weird, but if you watched it, it wasn't all that weird. Anyway, there's not even a mark today, so Steve is still the gun-hickey winner.

What's a 97b?

EghtySx
April 26, 2004, 11:36 PM
I posted somw pictures I took here (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=78854)

I didn't put "pics" in the title like I guess I should have.

orangeninja
April 26, 2004, 11:41 PM
"What's a 97b?"

Good Lord man.....it's only one of the most accurate .45's ever. A CZ.:D

Don....have you tried polishing the feed ramp? The premature slide lock...hmmm....maybe need a new mag the +P ammo problem is easy....you either have a worn slide catch or spring or during recoil you inadvertantly are bumping the mag release...trust me...happens more than you know.:cool:

YES!!! I can go to the class....rest easy geegee....I'm in....Techbrute...better bone up on practice so's I don't cause you to soil yourself.....(I gots skillz):neener:

Disclaimer: the above statement is intended soley for the aggrivation or amusement of Techbrute. This is in no way intended to mean I am a good shooter, or even adequate....just better than Pricksoot....any similarities to real life are soley by chance.:evil:

DonNikmare
April 27, 2004, 12:06 AM
I'll have to shoot Mike at cz-usa an e-mail. I think what's happening with the slide lock is that the slide stop spring slides out of its spot on the inside of the slide with +p ammo. I took it out and gave it a good bending toward the inside of the slide wall. The feed ramp is reshaped and polished (by Mike) but still has feeding problems. I think the bottom line is the mags don't seat high enough and that's hard to fix but the ramp could stand another reshaping.

By the way TechBrute probably couldn't tell the 97b was one of the most accurate .45's out of box if not the most accurate the way I was shooting it.

Nik

orangeninja
April 27, 2004, 10:59 AM
Techbrute wouldn't be able to tell if it was accurate by the way he shoots either:neener:

LAWD......it's too easy.

TechBrute
April 27, 2004, 11:04 AM
Luckily, the bullseye volutarily jumps in front of my quivering muzzle. :D

aguyindallas
April 27, 2004, 01:06 PM
Techbrute....interesting....maybe it was the bulls eye on my target jumping towards yours because I sure wasnt getting the same effect on my side!

TechBrute
April 27, 2004, 01:21 PM
I was noticing that you weren't using your bullseye. I thought it had a sentimental value or something. :neener:

tiberius
April 27, 2004, 01:24 PM
OUCH! :)

aguyindallas
April 27, 2004, 05:30 PM
I believe in recycling...thank you very much :banghead:

If you enjoyed reading about "DFW Group Shoot 04.25.04" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!