Does anyone make great pocket pistol?

PDA

4season
March 1, 2014, 11:40 AM
This goes back to the issue of accurate and reliable carry gun. It has to go bang every time the trigger is pulled and it has to punch holes where it is aimed. I have yet to find a pocket gun that can claim these 2 key features.

I have looked at the usual candidates, LCP, TCP, Kel-Tec, and Diamondback. The LCP and Kel-tec neither have useable sights. The TCP is known to choke on hollowpoints. After handling the Diamondback I thought I had found one with useable sights but upon doing more reading I found it won't eat hollowpoints either, and apparently it doesn't shoot to point of aim either. So I looked at the LCP with a laser, thinking it wouldn't matter if I can see the sights then. But apparently the mags come out in your pocket meaning you only have a single shot assuming no mag disconnect. Is it too much to ask for a small gun to have good sights that point where the gun will hit, eat any ammo, and be ready for action when it's drawn?

Now before someone responds that that is why they carry a big gun, I have a full size that I carry everyday. But summer is coming and I am tired of dressing around my gun. I can dedicate a shorts pocket to my gun but that is the only dressing hassle I want to deal with this summer. Also I am in and out of places that I can't carry so a pocket holster can be slipped out and put in the glove box when I go in many times a day.

I also looked at revolvers but the cylinder is just to bulky even on 5 shots like the LCR and SP101. I really think the 380 is the way to go for my application.

If you enjoyed reading about "Does anyone make great pocket pistol?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MedWheeler
March 1, 2014, 11:47 AM
Pocket gun, with "good sights"? :rolleyes:

For decades, the "pocket gun" was the classic .38 snub revolver. Just look at the sights that come on those things. Even then, people understood that "good sights" and "pocket guns" just don't go well together.

That being said, I actually like the sights on my PF9. But, like you, I've never seen anything much smaller (like the pocket-.380 class in which you're shopping) that had as decent a set.

Hossfly72
March 1, 2014, 12:00 PM
I'm sure this comment will bring out "experts" who tell me that it's not possible, but it's just my personal opinion so here goes....
I was happily surprised by the S&W Bodyguard .380. The sites aren't sniper quality but they work just fine. The laser shows EXACTLY where a hole will appear when I pull the trigger, it feels comfortable like a larger gun when I hold it, and it has yet to say "click" when I expect it to go bang. My wife bought it and carries it and I've tried to tell her she needs a bigger gun (so I can carry it) but she won't give it up.
I carry the Keltec P-11 IWB in a kydex holster from deadeyeluke.com.. It has the same qualities for me except for the laser. In colder weather I carry a full size steel EAA Witness .45 IWB under a jacket. While the p-11 will fit in some of my cargo pants pockets, it works better IWB.

guyfromohio
March 1, 2014, 12:02 PM
I shoot my wife's S&W BG .380 all the time. Surprisingly accurate and shootable. The sights are great. Trigger is not awesome, but not terrible either.

KSCCHTrainer
March 1, 2014, 12:18 PM
After a long time looking for one (it was discontinued), I obtained a stainless Taurus 445 (2" DAO, bobbed hammer, .44 special 5 shot revolver). It's only slightly larger and not much heavier than an all steel S&W J frame and it fits my pants pocket in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster. With Hornady XTP ammo, it has better ballistics than a .45 ACP, fits the "pocket pistol" category and shoots under 3" groups @ 25 yards -- considerably smaller groups the closer in the target gets.

I've had it for over 3 years now and after 5-600 rounds down range it's still running perfectly. Nice thing about a revolver, it goes bang every time as long as the ammo is good.

CraigC
March 1, 2014, 12:22 PM
I love my Bodyguard .380. Yes, the radius is very short but it has very good sights. Good enough to bounce a paint can at 25yds.

rskent
March 1, 2014, 12:22 PM
For me its the Sig 238. Small 380 with night sights.
So far very reliable and very shootable with XTPs.

wally247
March 1, 2014, 12:33 PM
I've had the S&W Bodyguard .380 and liked that. I also liked the Ruger LC9, it's almost too big depending on pocket size but it can be done. They also now make the LC380, same size as the 9 but in .380 if that's what you want.

More and more companies are getting smaller 9mm's also. Like the LC9 or the Kahr CM9 and others.

4season
March 1, 2014, 12:52 PM
I'll have to look at the Bodyguard again but I have read reviews of light strikes with the Bodyguard. Anyone have that issue? Also the safety on the BG gives me concerns. I don't want to have to fight to get my gun off safe while I am fighting for my life. I am worried that the safety might get clicked on while in my pocket. Just something else that can go wrong so why did they even put one on this gun?

CraigC
March 1, 2014, 01:07 PM
I've put several hundred rounds through mine without a hitch and it hasn't been cleaned yet. It's a DAO so I just completely disregard the safety. It's small and positive enough that there's little chance it can get inadvertently engaged. My DeSantis pocket holster covers most of it anyway.

handloader357
March 1, 2014, 01:10 PM
Im in the same boat as you... I thought it would be the XDs but mine turned out to be a lemon. Thinking about a J frame 38 +p now...

Hossfly72
March 1, 2014, 01:18 PM
The first run of BG's had problems with light strikes but mostly with the screw holding the laser battery, which would back out and jam it up. Those problems have been fixed now though. The wife's Bodyguard is smooth, tight and flawless.

Vodoun da Vinci
March 1, 2014, 01:32 PM
"Pocket Pistol" is pretty hard to define now days...I carry a Glock 26, Ruger LCR, Beretta PX4 sc, Colt 1903 (the Classic pocket gun) and other stuff in my pocket but they aren't exactly pocket guns.

If yer looking at .380 pistols with sights try the Glock 42....whether or not it can be deployed on yer person as a pocket gun only you can decide.

VooDoo

Ankeny
March 1, 2014, 02:22 PM
I have had several "pocket" .380 autos. The Sig 238 is the best of the lot as far as sights...and mine goes bang every time. I did a little trigger work on mine to get it down to 6 lbs or so. Mine is the sport model with Hogue grips and a 7 round magazine. It is a bit on the large side compared to the LCP, etc.

Skribs
March 1, 2014, 02:27 PM
The sights on most pocket autos are "terrible" by design. They're not designed to be used to hit the bullseye at 50 yards. They're designed to give you enough frame of reference to accurately hit your target at 10 feet. I have some sight paint on my LCP, and it's helped tremendously. I can hit a target well enough at ranges I'd expect to need it.

Waveski
March 1, 2014, 02:45 PM
How about the Micro Desert Eagle? It would actually fit in the pocket. Anyone have experience with that one?

Combat Engineer
March 1, 2014, 03:16 PM
"Does anyone make great pocket pistol?" [4season]

Yes. After an exhaustive search, I found and carry only one .380ACP pocket gun, a Sig P238. It is very accurate out to 50 yards. Mine weighs 13.5 ounces empty, carried mostly on the ankle, but also in jeans pocket, or denim jacket pocket (hand or chest).

Amazing little handgun.

WestKentucky
March 1, 2014, 04:05 PM
I ran across a llama mini max once. 1911 shrunk down with 1911 sights. I liked it until I was pressured into adding it to my dad's collection. Very usable sights. But, in the market your shopping...there isn't much out there. It's across the room type range at most for intended use, so you really don't even need sights let alone good ones. For that size and sights, I would go with a sw bodyguard .380 with laser. Lasers suck but on that size gun it's probably your best (only) bet but it only works at night.

rchery59
March 1, 2014, 04:08 PM
Don't overlook the Kahr P380. Reliable, accurate, small.

SigFTW
March 1, 2014, 04:11 PM
You will get all kinds of responces :D. I carry a Kimder Solo, accurate at 25yards, 9mm and shoots all types of ammo and reloads.However its not a 380.

snooperman
March 1, 2014, 04:31 PM
My neighbor , down the road, has a S&W BG and it is adequate for the job. The pocket 380 is a "point and shoot" gun. If you really ever have to use it for up-close defense you won't use the sights. If you want great sights then a larger gun like Browning BDA might be a good choice or a Beretta 85.

jon_in_wv
March 1, 2014, 04:39 PM
I will second the Bodyguard 380. The sights are good enough to shoot at any distace I've tried it even out to 30 yards. The laser is totally superfluous. I'm glad you can purchase it now without it. In reference to the laser however:

The sites aren't sniper quality but they work just fine. The laser shows EXACTLY where a hole will appear when I pull the trigger,

This statement is just false. The laser is below the boreline and even further below the sights. If sighted to strike right at your point of aim that will only happen at that exact range. It will strike higher than the laser at closer range and lower the further past that range you get. Its best to sight the laser to point for a POI the same distance below the sights as your POA. Then it will be relatively consistent regardless of range. having the laser cowitness with your sights is a pipe dream at anything other than one specific distance.

BTW, I realize that set up the way I do it you can't see the laser when using my sights. If I'm using my sights, I don't feel the need for the laser so that is the way I prefer it.

rskent
March 1, 2014, 04:41 PM
If yer looking at .380 pistols with sights try the Glock 42
I havenít shot one yet but the G42 feels pretty good in my hand. I think I will wait until the aftermarket catches up to it.
I doubt if it will be long before we start to see a bunch of holsters, connector, and springs for the baby Glock.

usp9
March 1, 2014, 04:42 PM
If it's a true pocket gun, you probably don't really need sights. My personal choice is the Seecamp. It is tiny, reliable, holds an amazing 7 rounds, lightweight and high quality. That's everything I've wanted in my pocket gun. I've looked at all the new one's. None yet has caused me to switch. Rohrbaugh came close though.

heyjoe
March 1, 2014, 04:48 PM
i agree with usp. i have a seecamp 380. it has no sights but shoots point of aim everytime. a pocket gun is for close up self defense. the only thing you will be able to do in that case is point and shoot. you wont have time to aim. point and shoot is the most important practice you can do with your pocket gun.

snooperman
March 1, 2014, 05:19 PM
If you really want better sights on a pocket gun, a gunsmith can always do what you want too. Just a thought. Snoop

Cycletroll
March 1, 2014, 05:44 PM
Kahr PM9 or CM9. Both about 16oz (20oz with 6+1). Very accurate, very reliable, good sights nice trigger, safe.
I've hit a coke can offhand at 40yds with my CM9 so yes it is very accurate if you can hold a gun that small steady.
P380 is smaller but IMHO .380 is not really enough penetration/expansion given the small guns available in 9mm.
I carry mine in right front pocket on a regular basis when not carrying a S&W 340.

celem
March 1, 2014, 06:02 PM
...The LCP and Kel-tec neither have useable sights. ...

I can shoot my P3AT pretty accurately using the sights at 12 yards. That said, However, that isn't what it is for. It is for point and shoot self defense in close quarters. In point and shoot self defense range practice it also does well - hitting 100% center mass. I am perfectly happy with it for its intended purpose - highly concealable self defense.

Claude Clay
March 1, 2014, 06:42 PM
friend i instructed got sig 238's for the whole family.

2 are dead-nuts accurate in my hands, the other 2 are 3" at 25'

my Shield is 2" @ 25' and that is all i need

76shuvlinoff
March 1, 2014, 06:57 PM
Yes the "sights" on my LCP suck. BUT the thing seems to point just right for me at the ranges it is intended for. A pink grip extension tightened my groups and follow up time.

SDGlock23
March 1, 2014, 06:58 PM
I like the Kahr CM9 or CM40, both very pocket-able and have good sights and are reliable. Opinions vary on Kahrs, but with a good initial break in they're good pistols with a pretty nice trigger. They come sprung tightly and I've found are a little more susceptible to limpwristing than some, but once the springs settle in just a little and with proper (and firm) grip they're very good pistols, accurate too.

I've had a few LCPs and I don't care for their trigger, the non existent sights and worse of all, the slide doesn't lock back on the last round. The Kahrs do all of these things the LCP doesn't, and for being a 9mm or .40, they're a great size and make a very nice pocket pistol. I hope to snag a CW380 and give it a go.

WRGADog
March 1, 2014, 07:22 PM
I pocket carry almost 100% of the time. I rotate several pistols, a Beretta Nano, Kahr PM9, Kahr P380, and Kimber Solo. These are quality guns, accurate, reliable, and have decent sights. The Kahr P380 is somewhat selective on ammo and doesn't like Hornady Critical Defense, but feeds everything else (Winchester Ranger, Remington Golden Saber, and Corbon) just fine. I also just picked up a Glock 42 that I have not yet taken to the range. IMO there are lots of good pocket pistols available just pick the one that fits your hand the best and you shoot well. I have night sights on my Nano and Solo.

4season
March 1, 2014, 08:11 PM
I have looked at the Nano but I would love to try the Pico. I also looked at the Bodyguard today and think I could live with the safety as it took a bit of force to engage it, but it still lingers in the back of my mind about what could go wrong. I also looked a the LCP again today and I am not sure how people are releasing the mag in their pockets. The button is recessed and not exactly sensitive. Are people putting the gun in their pocket with their keys? I may look at a LCP with the laser again.

hartcreek
March 1, 2014, 08:42 PM
S&W Airweight in .38 Special. My mom carries one. She was concerned about accuracy with it. At 50 feet I put 50 rounds into a standing five gallon bucket. That is plenty accurate for a SD firearm. Practice is everything.

VA27
March 1, 2014, 11:37 PM
How about the Micro Desert Eagle? It would actually fit in the pocket. Anyone have experience with that one?

I've carried mine for a coupla years now. Goes bang every time. Reliable with everything from ball to DPX. Sights are as good as a J-frame. As accurate as a typical service-sized gun.

All metal (except the grips) so it's a few ounces heavier than the polyguns, and size-wise it is bigger than a Seecamp but smaller than anything else.

I like it enough that I picked up another as a spare rather than a P3AT/LCP/P380.

Some have complained about the trigger pull. It's actually about like a J-frame. Some have complained about the recoil. Those folks have likely never shot a Seecamp 380 or one of the airweight 357's. It's just not that bad.

djm3801
March 2, 2014, 12:48 AM
I have a new LCP. Better sights than the original but basic. The Bodyguard does have better sights but I fired it and did not care for it. That said, S&W advises that misfires occur with non American ammo due to harder primers. I asked them about it when i thought that I was going to buy one, then I tried one and changed my mind.

I do not see sights as being an issue for a pocket carry. In the heat of the moment where you are defending yourself sights may not even be real visible and if they are I think a best case sight picture is all you will get. That said, I find I can use the LCP sights as well as any and I can punch a pie plate at 10 yards - all the distance you need. I was looking at the Bodyguard and the Kahr P380 and went back to the LCP with hogue grips and a pocket holster.

My opinion and you know what they say about opinions... Good luck.

toivo
March 2, 2014, 01:24 AM
SIG P238
SIG P938
Beretta Pico, if it ever actually comes to market.

Hossfly72
March 2, 2014, 01:26 AM
This statement is just false. The laser is below the boreline and even further below the sights. If sighted to strike right at your point of aim that will only happen at that exact range. It will strike higher than the laser at closer range and lower the further past that range you get. Its best to sight the laser to point for a POI the same distance below the sights as your POA. Then it will be relatively consistent regardless of range. having the laser cowitness with your sights is a pipe dream at anything other than one specific distance.

Told ya the "experts" would come out and start flaming away didn't I?
Did I say it was a freaking sniper rifle? No. I aimed at a target 20 feet away and hit that target. I'm not aiming at somebody on the 2nd floor of a building down the block or driving down the road in a car. I'm aiming at an immediate threat, up close and personal. If it came to the point of having to use it for it's intended purpose though, I'm sticking it up the bad guys nose and pulling the trigger until it goes "click" and screw the sights!

Esoxchaser
March 2, 2014, 08:40 AM
Another firm believer in the 238 here. Dead solid reliable, accurate, and soft shooting. whats not to like?
I have a 938 as well, great pocket pistol, but if I could only have one it would be the 238 because it fits clothes the 938 won't.

Vodoun da Vinci
March 2, 2014, 09:34 AM
Are people putting the gun in their pocket with their keys?

With the exception of my Px4 SC because of the decocked, trigger deactivated, hammer down on a down turned firing pin block, all guns get pocket holsters and a dedicated pocket. Generally I'm of the feeling that they should always be in a holster and nothing in the pocket 'cept the gun.

VooDoo

bikerdoc
March 2, 2014, 10:04 AM
I use a Bersa Thunder CC for summer carry. 9yrs and lots of rounds, never a fail.

kokapelli
March 2, 2014, 10:08 AM
There is nothing out there in a pocket 380 that beats the P238.

It has excellent sights (as good as most full size pistols), good trigger and very reliable.

huntsman
March 2, 2014, 10:35 AM
Pocket gun, with "good sights"?

For decades, the "pocket gun" was the classic .38 snub revolver. Just look at the sights that come on those things. Even then, people understood that "good sights" and "pocket guns" just don't go well together.

+1 and then it's usually complaining about the trigger like it's not a bullseye gun.

For me this isn't too difficult: pocket carry LCP, light belt gun BDA, Sidearm S&W 4566. All are tried and true with good rep.

ritepath
March 2, 2014, 10:42 AM
For me my LCP is a great pocket pistol. Accurate, easy to shoot, reliable.

I do wish my 5yo specimen had a little better sights and trigger, but for me it's pretty darned good as is.

bannockburn
March 2, 2014, 11:01 AM
I also like the S&W Bodyguard .380 for pocket carry. Decent sights (though the laser module is a bit problematic), a relatively smooth DAO set-up, and great ergonomics make the gun quick and easy to get on target.

In a single action design I like my SIG P238 (night sights and a removable laser), in the pocket carry role as well.

PabloJ
March 2, 2014, 11:03 AM
This goes back to the issue of accurate and reliable carry gun. It has to go bang every time the trigger is pulled and it has to punch holes where it is aimed. I have yet to find a pocket gun that can claim these 2 key features.

I have looked at the usual candidates, LCP, TCP, Kel-Tec, and Diamondback. The LCP and Kel-tec neither have useable sights. The TCP is known to choke on hollowpoints. After handling the Diamondback I thought I had found one with useable sights but upon doing more reading I found it won't eat hollowpoints either, and apparently it doesn't shoot to point of aim either. So I looked at the LCP with a laser, thinking it wouldn't matter if I can see the sights then. But apparently the mags come out in your pocket meaning you only have a single shot assuming no mag disconnect. Is it too much to ask for a small gun to have good sights that point where the gun will hit, eat any ammo, and be ready for action when it's drawn?

Now before someone responds that that is why they carry a big gun, I have a full size that I carry everyday. But summer is coming and I am tired of dressing around my gun. I can dedicate a shorts pocket to my gun but that is the only dressing hassle I want to deal with this summer. Also I am in and out of places that I can't carry so a pocket holster can be slipped out and put in the glove box when I go in many times a day.

I also looked at revolvers but the cylinder is just to bulky even on 5 shots like the LCR and SP101. I really think the 380 is the way to go for my application.
While I do not understand need for high quality combat sights on 5 to 7 yard piece Sig Sauer makes tiny pistols with very good sights.

5-SHOTS
March 2, 2014, 11:11 AM
Maybe the Kahr 380?

CraigC
March 2, 2014, 12:40 PM
Even then, people understood that "good sights" and "pocket guns" just don't go well together.
And maybe that was a design flaw? I know I have come to realize that one can shoot these little pistols a lot better with decent sights. For I no longer consider them restricted to "point `n shoot" affairs. Better to have them and not need them and all that.....

Pyzon
March 2, 2014, 02:03 PM
Heard at the LGS sales counter, every day:

I want a little tiny and lightweight, invisible in a bikini easy to carry and draw pistol that:

1.) Is accurate out to 25 yards.
2.) Meets the FBI penetration standards of (enter number here ").
3.) No recoil, no loud noises.
4.) Is really cheap.
5.) Shoots easy to find at Walmart ammo, even now.
6.) Never malfunctions, even if I use bad technique, cheap Walmart ammo and never practice, break it in, or blow out the pocket lint.
7.) Holds at at least 15 rounds.
8.) Has a laser visible across town, a 1000 lumen flashlight w/strobe and SOS, and a bayonet too.

jrdolall
March 2, 2014, 02:59 PM
It depends on your pockets. If you wear pants that are 2 sizes too big for you and have pockets that reach your knees then put a full size Glock in there. I got some new Levis 527 jeans a couple of weeks ago and the KT P3AT in a nylon Uncle Mike's holster will barely fit. The Bodyguard won't work in those jeans.

I like the laser on the BG but in very bright daylight conditions it is pretty useless. With lots of practice I am able to consistently hit a 2 liter bottle at 25 yards with a BG, P3AT or any of my other "pocket" guns. I don't really consider that a needed skill for a pocket gun but it can't hurt. If I can just get an attacker with a gun to stand still at 25 yards for a couple of minutes then I feel confident I can hit him. Maybe he will be holding a 2 liter bottle center mass.

The Sig P-238 or the Bersa Thunder are too big for me to comfortably carry in my front pocket. The Sig is nice to shoot and has all the features of a full sized gun but the hammer on both of these make them less than desirable in MY pocket. The P-238 is probably my favorite gun right now. Accurate and easy to shoot.

I don't carry a pocket gun with the intention of taking on a gang of drug addled gang bangers on the south side of town. It is a bare minimum SD weapon that I consider as a compromise based on where I am and what I am wearing. If I do run into the aforementioned gang I will be well and truly screwed whether I am carrying a Seacamp or a Kel Tec.

rtz
March 2, 2014, 03:04 PM
I'm sure one of these is decent...

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B22wLsyYEkTOMDU4MjJlNTktOTRlZi00NTJkLWE0MGMtZmEwNGFlMWE3ZDlm/edit?hl=en_US

alternety
March 2, 2014, 03:28 PM
Take a look at Boberg (http://www.bobergarms.com/). Small +9mm. Fits well in pocket. DAO, firing pin blocking, no other safeties. Accurate. Can have night sights.

Comes in a pocket size (Shorty) and large. There will soon be a .45 version. You get 9mm or .45 in a package more he size expected of a .380. The quintessential label really belongs on this one.

A new barrel design (retrofitable) may have the rating upped to +P+ and further reduce the already low felt recoil. Firing 9mm in revolver - sharp recoil. Firing Boberg Shorty - not unpleasant at all. It really really is low recoil. The internal design does it.

Very precisely machined weapon. Recommended to run 100 or 200 rounds through it before carry to break it in. It does not care about the shape of the bullet (it has no feed ramp). It does care about poorly crimped ammo. There is a list in the forum of good and bad. The action is unlike anything you have seen. His own deign.

There are reviews on the web. Look through the forum at the Boberg website.

spence
March 3, 2014, 02:25 AM
76shuvlinoff; what brand gripextension do you use on your lcp? it sounds interesting. thanks spence

kilibreaux
March 3, 2014, 04:20 AM
Kahr probably makes THE quintessential "pocket pistol" with the P380. It has REAL sights that you can actually see...dovetail front and rear.
It has a DAO trigger system that is amazingly light...ZERO "stacking" you simply stroke it through.
It's .75" thick, weighs less than 10 oz unloaded and is 4.9" long x 3.9" tall. All metal parts are stainless which means you can wear it next to your skin.

The ONLY downside is the P380 is not a "cheap" gun...you pay for the quality.

I carry a P380 almost daily because doing so is virtually transparent.

And no, Ruger, S&W, and Kel-tec do NOT have the same type of trigger...nor do they have the ergos.

4season
March 3, 2014, 09:47 AM
With the exception of my Px4 SC because of the decocked, trigger deactivated, hammer down on a down turned firing pin block, all guns get pocket holsters and a dedicated pocket. Generally I'm of the feeling that they should always be in a holster and nothing in the pocket 'cept the gun.

VooDoo
This is my thought too. I am just trying to figure how the mag is getting accidentally released.

Nom de Forum
March 3, 2014, 01:49 PM
How great is your pocket? That ultimately determines what is a great pocket pistol. My P-32 is a great pocket pistol in the breast pocket of my sport-shirt, my PF-9 doesn't fit but is a great pocket pistol for my pants pocket, my P-32 is not because it gets lost in too big a pants pocket. My S&W M38 Bodyguard is a great pocket pistol to fire out of the pocket of my coat, my P-32 and PF-9 are not, but my M38 is too bulky for my pants pocket and sport-shirt's pocket.

Casefull
March 3, 2014, 08:55 PM
This might be out of the price range but I love my kimber solo. It is incredibly accurate and easy to shoot. I have keltecs and ruger pocket pistols that work but they are nothing to brag about accuracy wise and have pinching triggers...lots cheaper though.

FitGunner
March 3, 2014, 10:51 PM
Bodyguard with XS Big Dot sights.

gym
March 4, 2014, 12:58 AM
Pf9 with night sights and 2 extra mags, "at least". I have 6, 2 are 7 rounders. I keep them in the car house and pocket. Gun has never failed to fire, have had most everyone mentioned, My second favorite is the XDS in 45. Also a great little reliable carry, One step larger is the Glock 26, 30. I won't carry anything below a 9mm.

Olympus
March 4, 2014, 09:30 AM
I also have a Kimber Solo and LOVE it. I've tried carrying the SR9c, compact 1911s, Sig 238, Shield, and j-frame revolvers. None of them felt right to me. The Solo is exactly what I was missing.

It eats up my mild reloads like they are candy. No failures of any kind.

jon_in_wv
March 10, 2014, 11:19 PM
Remember to take peoples comments about the capabilities of "pocket pistols" with a grain of salt. People seem to equate their ability to shoot one accurately with the accuracy of the weapon when my experience with the LCP, and especially the BG380 is that they are mechanically more accurate than most people shoot by far. If I every get around to reloading some 380 I plan on taking mine to the range and posting some video shooting steel plates at 25-50 yards with mine. I've done it before, the weapon is a lot more capable of shooting that range accurately than I am. As long as I do my job, it will do just fine. That being said, without sights there is no way I could do that. Pistols are no less accurate at short range by having good sights but they sure help at longer than arms distance.

OldMan74
March 11, 2014, 05:25 AM
I have tried a couple of 380's; the Ruger LCP and a Kahr which has a safety and a loaded chamber indicator but found neither particularly accurate. After a local robber took four 380 rounds in the chest at 15 feet and was still talking I lost faith in the 380 and bought a Kahr P9 9MM with a crimson trace laser sight grip which is just slightly larger than the 380 but enough so to be more accurate and with much greater stopping power. I have since upgraded from the Kahr to a Kimber Solo CDP which is quite similar in size but a more attractive and smoother functioning unit out of the Kimber Custom Shop at a higher price.

Despite all the safety features I remain reluctant to routinely carry any of these guns with a chambered round in a pocket holster so I often carry a light S&W hammerless J frame instead unless I really need the smaller size of the Kimber. The only pistol I am comfortable carrying with a chambered round is my HK P7 which is very accurate and completely safe against any accidental discharge but far from a pocket pistol in size or weight.

gym
March 12, 2014, 01:40 PM
Well made guns, like most mentioned, unless they have the sights on crooked or shoved over to one side, are always going to be more accurate the the shooter. The word accuracy is commonly misused. You may shoot one better than the other, but chances are it's not the gun, it's just the fact that you shoot one better than the other, It's like saying that saying one car drives better than an other, "to you maybe", just as likely someone else will say the opposite. People really think that they can tell by shooting a gun, "without a rest" that it is better than a similar gun. They are wrong unless they are an elite shooter that can actually tell the difference. The gun is always going to be more accurate than we are, unless it's broken somehow.
On carrying a chambered round, if I wasn't carrying a gun with a round in the chamber, I wouldn't carry a gun at all. I would leave it in the car or in the house. You need to be able to draw and fire in 1 second. That's impossible if you have to chamber a round.
It's difficult enough to get close to 2 seconds without having to chamber one. I used to, "in my youth" be able to do it from an owb holster easily. But now, even though I still practice when the wife goes to bed, about 4 times a week, I know it's going to be a contest. When you see a gun, you have about a second of grace time, until the bad guy figures out that you are going for yours, if he knew you had one, he would have gone else ware, "so you have an opportunity if you are disciplined, and don't get shook up", but after a second or two, he is going to figure it out in his brain that he has to dispatch you before you shoot him At that point in the story do you really want to start trying to chamber a round?
How many times have you gone to chamber a round and something went wrong, like you slipped off the slide, or the round got stuck because you didn't pull the slide all the way back, or a hundred other things that could happen, I am just trying to be honest with you, it's a bad idea. Your gun won't go off unless you pull the trigger.
If necessary use a gun with a safety, and practice releasing it on the draw. God forbid you hit the mag release or smack the gun against something on the way out, if you have a round chambered, you know the first one is coming out regardless, at which time you can grab the mag, and at least have a chance.

rchery59
March 12, 2014, 05:00 PM
As some others have said, Sig p238 Great gun but has some controls, Kahr p380, simple and accurate,great trigger, Keltec 380 cheap but reliable. There are many others but these I have experience with ,all good too.

foolsgold80z
March 12, 2014, 05:46 PM
The sig p238, or a good 'ol fashioned j frame. I have one of those dreaded clip draws on mine.:eek:

will11
March 12, 2014, 07:55 PM
Been carrying the Kel-Tec P -32 for years now and love it. A true front pocket carry gun in winter - summer. I know it doesn't have great sights and I don't care because it is a close quarter point and shoot piece. That to me is what pocket carry is all about. Accurate and reliable. The P-3AT is the one you want if your desire is 380. I don't want bulk for pocket carry. When I carry my P-32 no one is the wiser. If the .32 ACP was good enough for John Browning it's good enough for me.
Will

PS229
March 12, 2014, 08:37 PM
Does Anyone have a comment on a Walther PPS in 9MM ? I have heard good things about them.

gym
March 13, 2014, 01:08 AM
Nice little carry gun, "PPS" 1.04 inch profile" no reason not to get one.

Strahley
March 13, 2014, 01:42 AM
I've had a couple of TCPs and they were both 100% with everything I fed them, JHPs included ("regular" ones at that, not ones with polymer inserts in the nose etc)

4season
March 13, 2014, 03:17 AM
If necessary use a gun with a safety, and practice releasing it on the draw. God forbid you hit the mag release or smack the gun against something on the way out, if you have a round chambered, you know the first one is coming out regardless, at which time you can grab the mag, and at least have a chance.
Unless there is a magazine disconnect like the Bersa Thunder CC. I wanted one of these until I found out that it would not fire without a mag in place. Talk about a useless safety. Why would you ever want a gun to not go bang just because the mag got released?

AirForceShooter
March 13, 2014, 08:05 AM
I just picked up a colt mustang.
Light as a feather and after 150 rounds totally reliable.

yeah, the sights suck

AFS

Rugerspyderon
March 13, 2014, 11:08 AM
Actually the new LCP has useable sights. They should make a night sight version. The trigger is more conventional now, though I don't mind the long but light pull on original. I have p938 as well and it is just a different animal, nice but not a real pocket pistol. I mean you can but it is a bit cumbersome unless you wear cargos.

toivo
March 13, 2014, 01:47 PM
Why would you ever want a gun to not go bang just because the mag got released?
I think it's for informationally-challenged people who might think that you unload a gun by racking the slide first and then dropping the magazine. File under "idiot-proofing."

jon_in_wv
March 25, 2014, 11:30 PM
While I do not understand need for high quality combat sights on 5 to 7 yard piece Sig Sauer makes tiny pistols with very good sights.

I don't get statements like this. What is it about the design of any of the pocket pistols that would make someone think it is a "5-7 yard piece"?? Have you tried to really shoot these pistols? The only thing limiting their utility at distance past 7 yards, as you put it, is the relatively poor sights! With better sights they can shoot just about any distance you would want just like any other pistol. Is it going to be as easy with a small pistol? No, of course not. But its not that hard either.

The bottom line to me is that no one can argue that better sights make a weapon LESS accurate at shorter ranges than crappy ones. I'll take better sights any day. You are already dealing with a short sight radius and a small grip, why add poor sights to that too? I carry a weapon not only to defend myself but those that I love too. I would not even carry a weapon that I couldn't shoot accurately enough to defend them with if they were being attacked. Can I guarantee I'll be within 7 yards and I won't have to take a shot to defend them from imminent danger? NO! You can't be so ego centric that you only arm yourself with the idea of defending numero uno. I can tell you with no reservations that the LCP and the BG380 absolutely CAN be shot effectively at distance well beyond 7 yards. I owned the LCP and I just didn't think the sights were enough for me unless lighting was pretty much perfect. The BG380 has better sights so I switched to it. When I put a front night sight on it I'll be pretty happy with it for what it is. I normally carry a larger pistol (3913 or M&P) but there are times when the BG380 is pressed into service and I trust it to do its job. If you guys don't trust yours I would be willing to bet you haven't shot it enough. No weapons is accurate without an accurate shooter behind it.

kokapelli
March 26, 2014, 12:08 AM
One of the main reasons rifles are more accurate at distance than handguns is sight radious as well as a more stabilized bullet from the longer barrel in a rifle.

The same thing is true in short barreled pistols vs longer barreled duty guns.

I don't believe anyone can shoot a pistol with a 2-1/2" barrel and short sight radius as accurately at distance as they can a pistol with a 4" or 5" inch barrel with longer sight radius and longer rifling regardless of the sights.

CWL
March 26, 2014, 02:54 PM
Rohrbaugh R9 carries 6-rds 9mm NATO. Here compared to a KT P3T .380ACP.

Personally, sights for a pocket gun aren't that important since it'd be used in "bad breath" ranges. For IWB carry, I'd prefer something bigger and with real sights, like a M1911.

http://japanese-steakhouse-white-sauce.com/rohrbaugh.jpg

gym
March 26, 2014, 07:01 PM
I always wanted a Rohrbaugh, but I felt that way about the seacamp when it first came out, and spent over a grand for one, and never trusted it. I would have to shoot one first, but which is better the Rohrbaugh or the Boberg?

If you enjoyed reading about "Does anyone make great pocket pistol?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!