A thought about local gun politics

PDA

1911 guy
March 1, 2014, 10:42 PM
I've had a thought. First, I live in a very small town. Population 2,500. Yes, less than 3K people. Being a small town, we also have a small police force of about a dozen officers. Which makes my idea possible. I'm just not sure it's a good idea, so I'm running it past you guys first.

I'm sure that at least a portion of our police force would like their own AR. Seems to be a common theme amongst some of the police I've interacted with in the past, they want a personal copy of their duty weapon. Some of them just want one, whether they're issued an AR or not.

So... What about contacting the department and having a "build party"? Buy your parts by a certain date, come over for a cookout and put it together. I already have all the tools.

While I enjoy tinkering with rifles and have built a couple ARs in the past, the main purpose would be to cement in the minds of the officers that it's not a scary "I'm the only one professional enough..." rifle, but one that should be viewed as common and applicable to many purposes, not just shooting puppies and making babies cry within a three county radius. Gun ownership and use is acceptable by the general public and not to be viewed with suspicion.

To be clear, I've not noticed any anti-gun sentiment locally. In fact, I've not noticed any sentiment regarding firearms. This is more of a preventive and relations thing, rather than trying to correct a perceived issue.

Good idea? Bad idea?

If you enjoyed reading about "A thought about local gun politics" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Field Tester
March 1, 2014, 11:10 PM
It's not the police you need to change the minds of, it's the legislators.

armoredman
March 1, 2014, 11:15 PM
Regardless, sure, go for it, sounds like a great way to meet the police and for them to do some "community policing".

If you enjoyed reading about "A thought about local gun politics" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!