Lyman 310 tong tool in 357.

PDA

Brian Williams
April 1, 2004, 10:32 PM
Does anybody have any info for a Lyman 310 tong tools and dies. I would like to get a set in 357 for my "ultimate bug out" kit.

If you enjoyed reading about "Lyman 310 tong tool in 357." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Quantrill
April 2, 2004, 10:59 AM
The Lyman 310 tool uses dies that are smaller than standard so do not plan on using any dies you may have from other presses. The Lyman Tru-Line Jr press also used the same smaller dies. Also, there are no carbide dies in the smaller size. While I have never had a 310 tool, I did have the Tru-Line Jr. (2 of them actually) hence the knowledge of the smaller size dies which I understand are still made. Also there are adapters so that these smaller dies can be used in a press with standard size dies but, alas, not the other way around. Quantrill

Gunfyter
April 2, 2004, 11:08 AM
Try Cabelas. I bought mine for .45 Long Colt a few months ago.

30Cal
April 2, 2004, 11:58 AM
http://www.lymanproducts.com/lymanproducts/availdie.htm#Pistol

They work pretty well. Used one for a couple years in college reloading in front of the TV.

RON in PA
April 2, 2004, 12:00 PM
They do work, but require their own special dies that do not full length resize and require case lubing as they are not carbide. I think a better idea ( and maybe cheaper) is a Lee hand press that uses regular dies. Only drawback is larger size. By the way, a Lyman 310 tool for 38 special was the first reloading tool I owned, but that's going back over 30 years.

Brian Williams
April 2, 2004, 01:03 PM
I use a Lee hand press for a lot of my 357 stuff now, resizing and depriming, expanding, then I use my RCBS rock chucker for loading. a 310 tool would be nice for fun and small size.

ClarkEMyers
April 2, 2004, 04:01 PM
Given that one is necksizing only even in handguns it is quite possible to load in front of the TV without lubing - not saying it is necessarily a good idea but when I did it pushing 40 years ago Lyman touted this as a feature. Maybe goes with light - read dipper - loads.

If you enjoyed reading about "Lyman 310 tong tool in 357." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!