Scopes with smaller eyepiece dimensions

PDA

dvdcrr
March 3, 2014, 01:27 PM
Some of these new scopes look like they have a soda can on the back half. Which scopes have the smallest eyepiece or ocular dimensions? I just like my optics to be nice and sleek. Saves weight, looks better, and can avoid mounting problems.

If you enjoyed reading about "Scopes with smaller eyepiece dimensions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
greyling22
March 3, 2014, 09:07 PM
leupold, redfield revolution, and weaver classics all have small eye-pieces. most everybody else I've seen has gone big. I'm sure there are very good optical reasons for it, but it's ugly and I had bolt handle clearance issues to deal with.

rcmodel
March 3, 2014, 09:53 PM
There is no optical reason for it.
The ocular lens is still the same size.

IMO: The scope manufactures have lost sight of what will fit on a rifle, under a bolt handle.

They are continually making them bigger to pander to the unknowing new scope buyers that think bigger looks better.

With no idea of the actual function of the ocular lens housing, useless 'Quick Focus' feature, or how many mounting problems they cause!

Nobody needs a 'Quick-Focus' ocular lens on a rifle scope!
You focus it once when you mount it, only if your eyes are exceptionally bad.
And then never touch it again until your eye ages or changes enough over many years to need to change it slightly again.

I have 1970's steel-tube Weavers that have never needed ocular (eye-piece) adjustment again nearly 50 years and several bi-focal eyeglasses later.

rc

Savage99
March 3, 2014, 10:12 PM
The oculars do not measure the same on the three scopes I measured.

A. Leupold 3-9 Compact 1.100"

B. Leupold 2.5-8 1.400"

C Zeiss Conquest 3-9 1.420"

dvdcrr
March 4, 2014, 08:54 AM
Thanks for the measurements, leupold compact is a great idea I hadnt thought of that one.

jmr40
March 4, 2014, 11:17 AM
A Leupold/Redfied is going to be the trimmest and lightest everything else being equal. A 3-9X40 VX-1 or 2 is going to be around 11 oz compared to 15-18 oz for most of the competition. Generally an inch or so shorter too.

The Leupold Compacts are just not quite as good optically in my experience and not worth the tradeoff. Most folks could use a lot less power. If an 11 oz 3-9X40 is too big the 2-7X32's and 1-4X20 are 8-10 oz. I could do 95% of my hunting with a 1-4X scope.

rbernie
March 4, 2014, 11:54 AM
I've used the Weaver Elite 3200 series of scope on rifles when I needed an optic with a long body and/or a small ocular assembly. They trend towards heavy, but they sit low.

greyling22
March 4, 2014, 07:03 PM
I've used the Weaver Elite 3200 series of scope on rifles when I needed an optic with a long body and/or a small ocular assembly. They trend towards heavy, but they sit low.
you mean a bushnell elite 3200 right? there isn't some strange hybrid scope I don't know about?

rbernie
March 5, 2014, 08:08 AM
HA! Yes, I'm an idiot and typed something nonsensical in a rush. I knew what I meant! :)

The Elite 3200 is a Bushnell product.

stiab
March 23, 2014, 11:11 PM
Nobody needs a 'Quick-Focus' ocular lens on a rifle scope!

I do on one of my rifles. It's a Ruger All American .308 that serves as a loaner when guests deer hunt at my place who don't have a scoped rifle of their own. They have to "qualify" with it before the hunt, and any number of people could be using it. I previously had a Swift 4x on it, but it proved burdensome to make frequent adjustments, so replaced it with a 3 - 9 Bushnell Elite. Much easier to make the transition now.

herrwalther
March 24, 2014, 08:05 PM
I have a Leupold VX-III 20mm scope on my Marlin, makes one great marriage for accuracy. The objective lens is about 1" and the eyepiece is about 1.6 inches. Sure is a pain finding flip open scope covers for it though.

Savage99
March 24, 2014, 09:46 PM
Here is a Leupold 3-9 Compact on a Brno 21H.

The scope fits into the rifle's factory mount and clears the bolt handle.

It's the best scope for that rifle. I like it.

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/675x506q90/42/z9nc.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Scopes with smaller eyepiece dimensions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!