Burris MTAC. Is there a better value in 1-4x illuminated reticle scopes?

PDA

breakingcontact
March 4, 2014, 04:24 PM
Plan on putting this on a Sig 556.

If you enjoyed reading about "Burris MTAC. Is there a better value in 1-4x illuminated reticle scopes?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
4thPointOfContact
March 4, 2014, 04:31 PM
At the price point it's a dang good value for the money. I've had mine for nearly two years now and have enjoyed it tremendously. It has been consistent and repeatable at all magnifications.

It took a bit of research to find the proper front and rear caps, though.

breakingcontact
March 4, 2014, 04:42 PM
The butler creek caps? Please do share! What mount did you use?

omgtkk
March 4, 2014, 09:53 PM
Its an excellent choice. I'm running one on my Sig M400. I've taken a few 1000 round classes with it and it has performed flawlessly. Never lost zero. I got the combo with the Fastfire III, but am using the Fastfire on another rifle. The Bushnell 1-4 with the Throwdown lever also looks good for the price and may be worth checking out also.

MtnCreek
March 5, 2014, 09:48 AM
It's a good scope IMHO. I bought one used (I think I got it here) and used it for a while on a carbine. It's now out as a loaner to a buddy and he's liking it.

basicblur
March 5, 2014, 11:46 AM
From what I read, the MTAC is a 2nd Focal Plane reticle - the Bushnell Throw Down PCL is a 1st Focal Plane reticle iff'n that's important to you.
A 1st Focal Plane reticle was one of my requirements when I went scope hunting, 'specially if the scope has a BDC reticle.

I bought one of the first Bushnell's in the area - everybody that's looked thru it has been impressed with the clarity / brightness - one of the salesman at the local gun shop (and he's looked thru a lot more glass than I have) was impressed enough with it that he ordered one.

I have a friend with LASIK done that really struggles with some red dots - he was also impressed with the Bushnell enough that he now owns two of 'em.

MtnCreek
March 5, 2014, 12:18 PM
From what I read, the MTAC is a 2nd Focal Plane reticle
Yep. At 1x, you're seeing more of a dot and at 4x you see a bdc reticle.

basicblur
March 5, 2014, 12:21 PM
Yep. At 1x, you're seeing more of a dot and at 4x you see a bdc reticle.
???????

Haven't you got that backwards (if you're comparing focal planes)?

With the Bushnell (1st Focal Plane), at 1x you can't even see the BDC marks - it functions as more of a red dot.
At 4x, the BDC marks are visible as the reticle size changes with increasing optic power selection.

MtnCreek
March 5, 2014, 12:29 PM
Probably do. The reticle gets larger going from 1x to 4x. At 1x, it basically looks like a dot.

REB
March 5, 2014, 02:03 PM
I have been looking at both of these as well but now I am confused.

According to the Bushnell website the Throw Down PCL is first focal plane, interesting enough the standard Bushnell 1-4 x 24 is listed as second focal plane. Not sure I like the lever but I would rather have a first focal plane scope.

I cant find any spec on the Burris web site as far as reticle focal plane goes. I have seen a couple of reviews that state it is second focal plane.

Can someone who actually has one of the Burris scopes verify either way?

Does the reticle change size when the magnification is changed?
Yes = First focal plane
No= Second focal plane

MtnCreek
March 5, 2014, 03:57 PM
Does the reticle change size when the magnification is changed?
I'm 95% sure it does, but I haven't used mine in a while. I'll try to confirm later today.

4thPointOfContact
March 5, 2014, 04:26 PM
Just poked my MTAC out the window and looked; the size of the reticule does not seem to change when adjusting the magnification.
A web-search on "Burris focal plane" seems to agree that it's second focal plane.

Mine is mounted on a Burris P.E.P.R. quick release mount. Seems to be a perfect height and I can still raise the rear BUIS without problems. I went with a quick release with the "just in case it ever needs to be removed, I want it gone" theory. I plan on seldom if ever removing it.

Lens covers
Butler Creek front, 02A
Butler Creek rear, 16

p.s. short vid re first/second focal plane (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4XgugJSqpoE) by Vortex Optics.

4thPointOfContact
March 5, 2014, 05:05 PM
Strictly a personal opinion...
I don't look at my AR as any sort of sniper weapon, but instead as a 0-250 system. If all I had was an AUG's 'donut of death (http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss12/maleantemalandro/STG_77/AUG%20OPTIC/Slide2_zpsbbf98a9b.jpg)' circle, I'd be happy. I plan on leaving the optic at 1X until something is far enough away for me to want 4X.

basicblur
March 5, 2014, 07:30 PM
According to the Bushnell website the Throw Down PCL is first focal plane...
I have the Bushnell, and I can verify it is a 1st Focal Plane reticle.
All I had until recently was fixed optics (4x ACOG, old Colt 3x scope, etc). I bought one of the Nikon variable power 22 scopes with BDC for my 15-22, and quickly found out (for me), a 2nd Focal Plane reticle on a scope with BDC really sucks. Nice little scope for my 22AR, but having the BDC values constantly changing depending on scope power...not my cup o' tea.

BTW - you can read my review of the Bushnell Throw Down PCL here. (http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Illuminated-Reticle-Riflescope-Turrets/dp/B00AU6EIIY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394065714&sr=8-1&keywords=Throw+Down+PCL)

3GunEric
March 5, 2014, 09:08 PM
Been using MTAC for over a year for 3 Gun. Added Charlie Drissel cat tail throw lever for fast magnification changes.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=83588

I hate spending $ on glass, prefer iron battle sights so I went with MTAC and am very happy. It has never let me down through some hard use and bad weather.

If you enjoyed reading about "Burris MTAC. Is there a better value in 1-4x illuminated reticle scopes?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!