milling slide for red dot recommendations

PDA

Thompsoncustom
March 6, 2014, 09:56 PM
For you guys that have your pistol slide milled for a red dot who did the work and how much did it run you?

If you enjoyed reading about "milling slide for red dot recommendations" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Blueduck
March 8, 2014, 08:50 PM
TSD did my glock 17 for a Doc III. Could not be happier with the work. Mine was about $700 for slide milling, red dot, and the optional threaded match barrel.

Ps but by reading your sig guess your not interested in the Glock package ;)

Thompsoncustom
March 8, 2014, 10:01 PM
lol thanks I have a G17 but no I was thinking for a CZ sp-01.

JDGray
March 9, 2014, 01:20 PM
Why not go with a Leupold DeltaPoint? Comes with dovetail adapters for most guns.

JN01
March 9, 2014, 04:12 PM
Having them installed in a milled cutout is preferable as the sight sits lower, allowing the use of suppressor iron sights as back ups (and they also make quickly acquiring the dot easier). However, not all pistols are suitable for having the slide milled, it depends on the slide thickness, clearance for parts under the milled area, etc. Not sure about the CZ.

One of the best for that type of work is Mark Housel at L&M Precision. You could contact him about the feasibility of having your gun milled.
http://www.landmprecisiongunworks.com/

Thompsoncustom
March 9, 2014, 07:16 PM
Thanks, I've run a red dot on a dovetail mount and I'm not a fan the red dot sits to high.

JDGray
March 9, 2014, 07:53 PM
This guy in MI. is very good!
http://ateiguns.com/atei-community/

raze
March 9, 2014, 11:18 PM
This guy in MI. is very good!
http://ateiguns.com/atei-community/
That's who I'm thinking of sending my 34 to. Been very impressed with their work. Can also check out salient arms

wally
March 10, 2014, 07:42 PM
Thanks, I've run a red dot on a dovetail mount and I'm not a fan the red dot sits to high.

Yes, but will making it sit maybe 1/4" lower really be the solution and worth $200-300?

Thompsoncustom
March 10, 2014, 10:30 PM
I don't know I can tell you the mount that I had was 1/4 thick so it should be closer to a 1/2 of difference, will it be worth the money not sure but I would think it would be a big improvement

mes228
March 11, 2014, 10:09 AM
Just my opinion, and not trying to de-rail your question. You might wish to look into a pistol with a pre-milled slide. In larger calibers, I have both a FN Tactical & the M&P Pro with micro red dots. The M&P is quite a good deal in my opinion.

I suspect that you can purchase the M&P Pro already machined, with mounts (comes with 3-4 mounts for the most common red dots). As cheaply as machining a pistol and purchasing the mounts. Mine also came with a Promo card that gave 50% off on several makes of red dots. The M&P Pro has an acceptable trigger for a plastic gun. Is quite accurate and reliable. And not too expensive. Before I would mill any pistol I'd just purchase the package. It's a good deal over all.

wally
March 11, 2014, 02:28 PM
Mine also came with a Promo card that gave 50% off on several makes of red dots.

How long ago did you buy your C.O.R.E. pistol? What makes of red dots? I may have to go up in the attic and see if such a card is in my box -- I never looked at the papers inside.

I have an early M&P40 with the rear sight mount and a new C.O.R.E M&P 9 Pro which is why I asked if the OP really thinks getting it ~1/4" lower will really be worth the expense.

Why I agree, lower is better, I won't be spending $200-300 to lower the optic on my M&P40, I don't see it as that much better. Perhaps on a sub compact carry pistol where an extra 1/8-1/4" can make a disproportionate difference in carry comfort...

I don't know I can tell you the mount that I had was 1/4 thick

What brand of mount? I've not seen any that thick except to mount on a rail (my LaRue RMR QD mount for example).

Remember its the mount thickness above the slide, to the top of the mount you gain, not from the top of the mount to the bottom of the dovetail. It is unlikely the slide can be milled significantly below the the bottom of the rear sight dovetail, so basically you can lower it by about the depth of the dovetail + the thickness of the mount above the top of the slide.

Thompsoncustom
March 11, 2014, 09:09 PM
Ya it's a thick mount, Doctor mount and yes just the base from bottom of red dot to top of slide is 1/4. On the CZ you should be able to mill to the firing pin channel i'm not sure how much will be gained but I don't fell like changing platforms so it's run a dovetail adapter or mill the slide.

http://surplusfirearm.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/4-FP-install-pin-spring-300x225.jpg

Blueduck
March 11, 2014, 09:16 PM
From somebody who has run both, IMHO the milled slide is a huge advantage and well worth the money. The dot sitting at a normal eye level with suppressor sights to guide you makes more difference than most would ever imagine.

If you enjoyed reading about "milling slide for red dot recommendations" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!