When your pistol is picky about what ammo it will reliably chamber.........

PDA

Shifty
March 8, 2014, 03:34 AM
........do you consider this a flaw?

Not talking about older military arms designed for hardball.

What if your buddy has the same pistol, and it eats everything?

My .40cal Sig chokes on federal critical duty 165 grain ammunition. But runs 180 grain FMJ and 180 grain gold dots like a champ.

It just bothers me for some reason.

I'm just looking for opinions/discussion on what others would do in this situation. Just curious.

If you enjoyed reading about "When your pistol is picky about what ammo it will reliably chamber........." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
horsemen61
March 8, 2014, 04:08 AM
Not use 165 grain critical duty for starters

JDR
March 8, 2014, 05:28 AM
I want my guns to be able to feed all types of factory ammo; my Gen3 Glock 17 and my Gen4 Glock 21 meet this requirement the best. My P226 .40 had to be worked over twice by my gunsmith to get it to feed everything reliably.

Detritus
March 8, 2014, 05:57 AM
If it bothers you, then for you, it is a flaw.

If another identical gun does not, and especially if most if not all other examples of that model do not have the same issue. then it is most definitely someting that you should be contacting the maker about.

any further advice about what to do depends on what the maker, SIG in your case, has to say.

hardluk1
March 8, 2014, 07:19 AM
If My handguns were picky over speers GD or boned that would bother me but the federal CD, never as its not on my preferred list. If it only that one bullet design then try try again one again as I do not like 180gr in a 40sw. My preferred is a 155gr at 1300fps with a speer bonded hp or a xtp from underwood ammo.

Give sig CS folks a call and see if they have a easy fix they can do for you. Might be as simple as polishing the feed ramp and the top of the chamber

hartcreek
March 8, 2014, 08:03 AM
Contact the maker when all it could take is a polish job on the feed ramp. Look at your friends and compare then just do it.

C0untZer0
March 8, 2014, 09:44 AM
It doesn't bother me for a CCW as long as it reliably feeds SD ammo that is an effective round.

I happen to like the 147gr Winchester Ranger "T" Series RA9T. My Rohrbaugh R9 has been flawless with it so far.

It doesn't like 147gr Golden Sabre. OK, so I don't use 147gr Golden Sabre.

No big deal for me because the round that I want to be carrying is the RA9T anyway.

I think it is important that the gun be able to fire some kind of comparable practice ammo. I wouldn't want to have to practice with Ranger T all the time because my gun wouldn't cycle anything else.

My R9 shoots 124gr and 147gr Lawman TMJ flawlessly, so I'm perfectly happy with that, and don't feel the need to go on a quest to prove that it shoots every brand of ammo under the sun.

The Lone Haranguer
March 8, 2014, 10:14 AM
I would prefer a pistol feeds, fires and shucks anything and everything I put in it, as I'm sure we all would. But a problem with just one kind of ammo is forgivable - I just don't use that ammo in that gun. One of mine, for example, doesn't like to eject CCI Blazer aluminum-cased, but it has been flawless with everything else.

bds
March 8, 2014, 12:04 PM
For me, I consider firearm's primary role is to go bang. If it doesn't, I would investigate and work on it until it does - if it doesn't, we would part ways.

Would you use a parachute that only worked 95% of the time?

What if your buddy has the same pistol, and it eats everything?
I would contact customer service of the pistol manufacturer.

rcmodel
March 8, 2014, 12:10 PM
What if your buddy has the same pistol, and it eats everything? Try your buddy's magazines.

rc

JohnnyBravo
March 8, 2014, 07:13 PM
Just run the Gold Dots in it and carry on.

JDR
March 8, 2014, 07:59 PM
The only ammo feeding problems I've really had were with my .40 P226 and my Gen4 G22, and my gunsmith fixed both problems.

tomrkba
March 8, 2014, 08:59 PM
A SIG should not have trouble like that. Contact SIG and get them to look at it.

browningguy
March 8, 2014, 10:32 PM
If it won't reliably chamber a pretty standard defensive round then it's a broke gun in my book. It would either go back to the manufacturer or to someone elses house.

Wreck-n-Crew
March 9, 2014, 12:25 AM
My .40cal Sig chokes on federal critical duty 165 grain ammunition. But runs 180 grain FMJ and 180 grain gold dots like a champ.

It just bothers me for some reason.

I'm just looking for opinions/discussion on what others would do in this situation. Just curious. FME there is a combination of things that could be causing it rather than just the Critical Duty. The rubber tip slows feeding down depending on the gun. The nose of the bullet might be dipping a little as it hits the feed ramp causing the rubber tip to hit first.

Why? Maybe Magazine springs may be a little weak. A 1911 is not optimal for rubber tips on the CD and if one or two things isn't right, she will not feed well. Also might be a little weaker recoil spring adding to it as well.

As some have suggested the CD feed fine for the most part. If your Magazine spring is fine and the magazine follower is fine ( seen things add to feeding issues by type of the Follower as well ) , if magazine spring is fine, and mag is in spec then there should not be an issue with the nose dipping when it is stripped from the magazine. I have never seen the feed ramp alone be the issue.

sota
March 9, 2014, 01:24 PM
I would first question what you mean by "chokes."

I can give an example from what I have in hand...
H&K P30's are sometimes known to NOT like 115gr ammo. The reason is the recoil spring is stiff from the factory. It can take hundreds if not thousands of rounds for it to loosen up a bit. The combination of lighter bullet and lighter charge can cause a number of failures... FTE, FTF, etc. The usual recommended cure... leave the slide locked back for a couple days. Or you can put a couple boxes of heavier/hotter ammo through it and that'll break in the spring.
Having all said that, all I ever fed my first P30 for 3000 rounds once I first bought it... was 115gr CCI Blazer Brass (#5200) ammo. Not a single ammo-related issue a (couple limp wrist-related failures, but that was my newbie-at-the-time fault) and I didn't know about the lock-back-the-slide-for-a-couple-days trick at the time. There could be any number of reason why it worked fine, but the fact is some people do have the "problem" and some don't.

So my suggestion would be, do some research, contact the manufacturer, and possibly try the "problematic" ammo at a later date after more rounds have gone down-range.

If you enjoyed reading about "When your pistol is picky about what ammo it will reliably chamber........." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!