grip / frame mods

PDA

taliv
March 10, 2014, 11:00 AM
i'm actually happy with the factory texture on the CORE grip, and not looking to make it super aggressive so i'm going to skip the soldering iron, but man, that trigger guard was driving me nuts! so i finally had to take the dremel to it. I was considering relieving the frame some too but haven't yet. i will probably cut some meat out at the back of the trigger guard so i can get my hand just a bit higher.

so i'm curious how many others do this. i have seen many of my friends' guns that have been texturized with a soldering iron or dremel, but they are all competitors. just wondering how widespread this practice is.

If you enjoyed reading about "grip / frame mods" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bannockburn
March 10, 2014, 11:57 AM
taliv

Not really sure what gun it is we're voting on to modify or not. Thinking Glock but not clearly stated. Could you be a little more specific as to the particular gun?

TestPilot
March 10, 2014, 01:03 PM
Whatever suits your operational needs.

I personally have no desire to have a scrub stone for a grip.

As far as stippling goes, none of mine is modified.

taliv
March 10, 2014, 02:48 PM
any gun, bannock, but presumably plastic. i'm just asking if you've modified one of yours

9mmepiphany
March 10, 2014, 05:46 PM
My IDPA M&P9 looks like a toy and is often the butt of jokes during matches.

Not because of taking hot pointy things or spinning grindy things to it, but because I've adapted the gun to my hand with Sugru...moldable latex rubber

I've built up the backstrap is a swirling maroon combo, filled the web in sky blue, and built up a palm swell in yellow...plus I added skateboard tape to the front strap and the frame as an index for my support thumb

taliv
March 10, 2014, 05:50 PM
hmm.... maybe some pics would help

these aren't mine, just a couple from the pages and pages of hits searching images.google.com for "soldering iron grip mod" and "heat stippling"

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-aGqJB5TsICw/UiKM_Ljh7YI/AAAAAAAAAXs/ZLLplmr5_AE/s1600/IMG_2827.JPG

here's an 11 pages thread from arfcom with a tutorial http://www.ar15.com/mobile/topic.html?b=6&f=19&t=261758

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/HAL_5555/Guns%20and%20Knives/Pistolas/picture328.jpg

http://files.getdropbox.com/u/9870/G19/DSC01243.JPG

http://i850.photobucket.com/albums/ab70/Nat_Tex/TexasCHLForum/IMG_0232edit2.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb320/chiefjason/IMG_1418.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y134/boss_406/IMG_1464.jpg

really? I'm surprised so few of you guys have done this

taliv
March 10, 2014, 05:51 PM
9mm, ok you've got to post a pic of that!

Inebriated
March 10, 2014, 05:53 PM
I voted "NO WAY", but I'm not nearly that emphatic about it. I haven't because I haven't needed it. I use gen 4 Glocks for pretty much everything that I would think "man, I need more grip!". If I had a gen 3, you bet I'd be on it. I'd most likely send it off to get done, though. Form follows function.

I HAVE done a stipple job on an AK grip, 870 stock and magpul forend, and I've been happy with the work, but honestly, I would want the job to look nicer than I could probably do, and I'm a complete sucker for that tree bark stipple look that some companies can do. I've actually considered getting an M&P or Gen 3 Glock just to have a reason to get it done lol.

1John1:9
March 10, 2014, 06:53 PM
delete.

9mmepiphany
March 10, 2014, 08:26 PM
9mm, ok you've got to post a pic of that!
Since you asked

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n79/9mmepiphany/MampP9colors002.jpg (http://s109.photobucket.com/user/9mmepiphany/media/MampP9colors002.jpg.html)

AK103K
March 11, 2014, 06:29 PM
Most of my Glocks have their grips stippled. The only ones I dont do, are those with the RTF2 grips.

Ive done my LCP, an AK, a bunch of Glock knives, and a few other things as well.

highorder
March 11, 2014, 06:57 PM
I did this. Feels good. It took me 20 minutes with the soldering iron.

Uploaded from my phone, sorry if it's huge.

Wreck-n-Crew
March 12, 2014, 12:12 AM
Guess I'll throw in....but not my doing I bought it this way! I know the legal ramifications as well...so easy on my sore head..:uhoh:

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f153/recncru1/IMG_20140307_215035_0.jpg

MDI_Weapon
March 12, 2014, 05:59 AM
My old Gen 2 Glock 23 - I carried it so much the grip started getting a little slick and hard to hold on to (especially with hot Corbon loads). So it got dimpled and then coated with truck bed liner. Now it feels like it is super glued to my hands even if wet 196048

bannockburn
March 12, 2014, 06:49 AM
taliv

That's what I figured but wanted to know for sure. I voted "No way" as I like all of my polymer guns just the way they come from the factory. Don't feel the need for any mods done to the polymer frame.

Hometeached1
March 12, 2014, 12:08 PM
Not sure how to vote, I've put grip tape on mine. I've thought about a grip chop though.

strambo
March 12, 2014, 07:59 PM
I voted "not yet, but considering it" as the most accurate answer. I don't own a plastic framed pistol, but have considered stippling the front strap of my Kahr K9 and I put grip tape on the front straps of my guns. If I had a plastic pistol, I'd more than likely stipple it myself.

Wreck-n-Crew
March 12, 2014, 10:27 PM
So it got dimpled and then coated with truck bed liner. Did you do the whole frame?

Wreck-n-Crew
March 13, 2014, 09:40 PM
My 19 was done prior to purchase. Decided to do try my hand at it on my Glock 22. Kept it simple first time out.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f153/recncru1/IMG_20140313_212234_0.jpg (http://s47.photobucket.com/user/recncru1/media/IMG_20140313_212234_0.jpg.html)

MDI_Weapon
March 13, 2014, 09:41 PM
Did you do the whole frame?
No - I just dimpled the area around the grip, masked off what I didn't want coated with bed liner and then sprayed it with 3 light coats.

KenW.
March 13, 2014, 10:21 PM
I voted no. Simply because I do not believe in permanently defacing my guns. I prefer to think of the future owners, whether they be my descendants or not.

There are plenty of grip options that are not permanent.

AK103K
March 13, 2014, 10:40 PM
None that Ive found that work as well.

Im only worried about them working well for me. Future owners are on there own. Or they can change them to suit themselves. Assuming they arent worn out by then. :)

WestKentucky
March 13, 2014, 10:52 PM
41 voters with 47 responses. I like it.

sappyg
March 13, 2014, 10:54 PM
Some great pics here.
I have added some stiple to a Glock and have no regrets. It's not as nice as the ones here but, function wise, it helped. They get slippery after a while.

possum
March 19, 2014, 10:12 AM
I have cut the frame of My G17 down to a G19 size. Belt sander and 1200 grit sandpaper.

I have done some work on my g-19 as well: Stippled with a soldering iron and cut the grip to allow better one handed mag rips (Dremel).

I did a full stipple on my xd service model (soldering iron).

I have stippled a lot of other items here and there as well as the backstraps to my M&P full size (soldering iron).

KenW.
March 19, 2014, 10:44 AM
Quote:

"None that Ive found that work as well. "

The gun is yours to do with as you please. I simply choose to not alter mine. Grip options like decal grips in sand or rubber, Pachmar (sp?), skateboard tape, Hogue, etc are plentiful. If I ever find my "Holy Grail" gun at a shop, and someone had stippled it, I would pass on it.

taliv
March 19, 2014, 11:24 AM
i can understand that. i think the difference is in perceptions of the pistols. If i was prone to trading them and want to get my money back out of it, i wouldn't change it either. but that's not me.

I don't look at plastic pistols as potential heirlooms like a fine rifle or shotgun. I view them as disposable tools. I don't expect them to last more than a few years. trade in value never even entered my mind.

(it's ironic, since plastic will probably last forever)

AK103K
March 19, 2014, 11:26 AM
Ive used skateboard tape for years, on just about everything, that is, until I stippled my first Glock.

Tape always worked great at first, but soon degraded with use, and you constantly need to redo it. You also dont get the complete coverage with the other methods as you do stippling.

Ive tried pretty much anything you can think of trying to improve the grips and/or texture on all sorts of things, and with some guns, you can stipple the grips, and replace them later, something I would have done with my SIG's, and a couple of others, if I still had known the advantages then and still had them.

Youre right too, its your gun, do with it as you like. For me, I use what I have, and prefer function over fashion, and if I should decide to sell it later, if the next guy likes it, they will buy it, if not, they wont. From what Ive seen personally, and from what others Ive talked to who have held and/or shot mine have said, Im sure someone will. Not that Im likely to sell the ones I have done, at least at this point.

The few used guns Ive seen on the shelves at local shops that were stippled (you usually dont see too many) didnt last long, and werent going for discounted prices, so I dont think its as big a deal as some make it.

If you search in Google "images" for stippled guns, youll see all sorts of work done, from horrible to pretty spectacular. I personally like the real fine, sandpaper texture with the "cat tongue" type feel for mine. The gun locks into your hand like nothing else, with no movement. Something you dont normally get with the "temporary" fixes.

Wreck-n-Crew
March 19, 2014, 12:24 PM
If you search in Google "images" for stippled guns, youll see all sorts of work done, from horrible to pretty spectacular. I personally like the real fine, sandpaper texture with the "cat tongue" type feel for mine. The gun locks into your hand like nothing else, with no movement. Something you dont normally get with the "temporary" fixes. true. If it is too rough you can buff the roughness out with a piece of 120 grit sandpaper.

One of the pros I have found is that you can take a bent soldering iron tip and flatten it back down. Then rework it. If you pick up a police trade in or are rough on it yourself and it's beat up or worn it can give some what they are looking for.

One of the cons is once you stipple an area you have to keep it that way or sand the whole frame to get uniformity between the stippled and non-stippled area.

I still am surprised at the G19 I bought with the stippling. There was no reason to do it other than wanting it. The guy had only a few rounds through it and when I took it apart you could tell. I removed all the springs from the trigger job and put it back stock. I have only 130 rounds through it and the black on the barrel is coming off where the slide and barrel make contact. Finish is not like the old Glock's and what some are calling rumors have more truth than not with the new guns finish coming off.

Once I get a better image to replace the punisher with I plan on changing it.

rskent
March 19, 2014, 04:36 PM
I havenít done it yet. I have thought more than once about rounding off the base of the trigger guard on my Glocks.
Right where they rub the top of my middle finger. Not much, just a little clearance where Glock should have done it at the factory.
Blasphemy I know. :rolleyes:

Big Shrek
March 20, 2014, 10:40 PM
Used bicycle tube, or new...cut to fit, slip on...instant recoil absorber & better grip than stock...

Cooldill
March 20, 2014, 10:49 PM
I think the RTF on my G19 Gen 4 is just about the perfect texture as is. No mods needed.

Out.

gunnutery
March 21, 2014, 03:49 AM
I can't really get into the stippling mods. I've seen some that look good, even some on this thread, but I get along good with the factory issue.

I voted for the "not yet, but thinking about it" category, since (as mentioned in another thread) as soon as I get a second G22, I'll be chopping the grip to a G27 size. Looking forward to it.

Twiki357
March 22, 2014, 08:56 PM
Iím not sure if this really qualifies, but the stippling on the corner of my Kel-Tec P-11 grip would scrape my knuckle raw so I Dremiled and sanded it smooth.

bob2231
March 22, 2014, 09:23 PM
Like probably most who have "dremelled" away,I did some basic polishing,nothing more.
Dremels aren't exactly precision tools when it,or what your dremelling,are hand held.
But they can be pretty decent mounted in a fixture.

If you enjoyed reading about "grip / frame mods" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!