Emerson Karambit or Spyderco Karahawk

PDA

Spec ops Grunt
March 12, 2014, 02:40 AM
Which one should I get I'm having a hard time choosing.

If you enjoyed reading about "Emerson Karambit or Spyderco Karahawk" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Yo Mama
March 12, 2014, 04:10 PM
Man, hard choice. The Emerson has a "better" steel with the 154cm, but I love VG10 as well. Both have great design aspects, and warranties. The Emersons have a chisle grind, so that may also be something for you to consider. A few reviews on the Spyderco put the angle of the locked blade somewhat more like a hawkbill than a Karambit.

Spec ops Grunt
March 12, 2014, 04:21 PM
The blade angle thing is definitely something to consider.

Whats the pro's and cons of a chisel grind?

Yo Mama
March 12, 2014, 08:45 PM
Chisel grind is easier to sharpen, and is pretty strong and long lasting. Not everyone likes them though. While not as pronounced as the Emersons, my Victroinox Trekker has a chisel grind and I love it.

While I don't have either model, thinking over today, go with the Emerson. I love Spyderco, and have a lot of their stuff, but Emerson's been doing this for a long time, and knows how to make a perfect karambit.

Sam Cade
March 12, 2014, 09:41 PM
Which one should I get

What is the purpose of the knife?

rcmodel
March 12, 2014, 09:57 PM
Whats the pro's and cons of a chisel grind?
Pro= Cheap to grind.
Con= They cut crooked!

Karmait
Pro = Really good for one specialized martial art.
Con = Not good for much of anything else except cutting carpit & vynal floor material.

rc

Spec ops Grunt
March 12, 2014, 11:11 PM
its p much a fun knife, maybe ill try to learn some silat lol :neener:

also hawkbill is best letter opener.

ugaarguy
March 12, 2014, 11:31 PM
Have you considered the more affordable but nearly equal quality Fox Folding Karambit (http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/FOX478/FOX-Folding-Karambit-3-2-inch-Satin-Blade-Aluminum-Handles), or the new 5.11 Folding Karambit with S30V blade (http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/TG51048/511-Tactical-51048-CUB-Master-20-Karambit-287-inch-S30V-Black-Blade-FRN-Handles)?

Spec ops Grunt
March 13, 2014, 02:48 PM
In a rare move of foresight I purchased a 10 dollar Karambit plastic trainer.

These things are really awkward, they may have cool factor but I don't think its for me.

Think I'll probably just get a Benchmade Balisong or an AR lower or a 12 gauge.

Yo Mama
March 14, 2014, 09:17 PM
^which 12 gauge?

ugaarguy
March 14, 2014, 11:20 PM
Keeping this on topic for NFW, which Benchmade models are you looking at?

Spec ops Grunt
March 15, 2014, 04:37 AM
The morpho, I like the pocket clip and have flipped one before.

The all titanium model handles are nice, but heavy and no pocket clip.

I might get a spydie paramilitary too. IDK yet

DT Guy
March 15, 2014, 08:28 AM
Kerambits require a bit of retraining, both physically and mentally, in their use. The biggest thing for most folks seems to be thinking of it as 'a knife', when it really isn't, at least in the functional sense.

A Kerambit, particularly in reverse (blade on pinky side, edge on knuckle side) grip doesn't really work anything like a 'knife' as we usually use them, and so treating it as something completely new and unique seems the key to learning to use one correctly, IMHO.

Larry

jahwarrior
March 19, 2014, 09:45 AM
Benchmade no longer produces titanium handled balisongs; their latest, the 6x series, are all steel. If youthink titanium is too heavy, you won't be able to lift the all steel ones. ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Emerson Karambit or Spyderco Karahawk" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!