Why

PDA

j1
March 17, 2014, 10:22 AM
I have been reading this board for several years and like it very much. I started a thread about Glocks because I have a Glock and have questions about Glocks. Reading the thread I found that it was closed. There were no arguments so I cannot understand why. Could a moderator please explain why? I wanted to make another comment but cannot.

If you enjoyed reading about "Why" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Arkansas Paul
March 17, 2014, 10:29 AM
PMs are your friend.

Sam1911
March 17, 2014, 10:42 AM
When I closed your thread, I posted the following:

Guys? 50 responses to the second oldest question in the firearms world since Glocks came out.

We're starting to get (predictably) short with each other, and there's really no need for that. This issue is a deader horse than the one Custer rode into battle at the Little Big Horn creek. Let's not spill more e-blood over it.

That might be plenty of explanation. Or you could have sent me a Private Message to discuss it.

To expand, though:

1) The "are Glocks (or other striker-fired/no external safety designs) dangerous" question has been kicked around for DECADES. It is extremely old news, sort of like coming onto a car forum and posting a thread like, "Are Chevys better than Fords?" Yes, there's lots of new folks out there in shooting-land who might not have thought about the question before, but I figured that 50 posts worth of a re-cap was enough, without another heated flame fest brewing up.

2) If you read the last 1/3 of the posts carefully, you'll pick up the distinct beginnings of just that kind of "flame fest" unpleasantness brewing. "Maybe you need better glasses?" And claims of folks having "naieve faith" in this or that, and "oh Lord, here we go again."

If you don't feel the question is sufficiently answered, and you cannot find the answers to your satisfaction with a basic search, I'll happily reopen the thread for you, though I won't leave it open to collect bashing, trolling, and arguing over an issue that's seen more vitriol and bitterness than "9mm vs. .45."

j1
March 17, 2014, 12:03 PM
I am not here to create problems but to learn things. My Glock is new to me. Is there some place where I can read ask questions and make comments about Glocks?

How do I do a search about Glocks? Sorry for not knowing more about how to use this board.

Arkansas Paul
March 17, 2014, 12:19 PM
If you are new to Glock handguns, all you have to do is use the search function.

Click "Search" at the top of the screen and then click "Advanced Search".
Where it says, "Search entire posts", click on the arrow and change it to "Search titles only". Type in the word Glocks and you should have hours of reading material.

Sam1911
March 17, 2014, 12:22 PM
Right up at the top menu of your screen, near the right middle is the "Search" button. If you click on that you get a quick search box. You can also click on "Advanced Search" if you want to get very specific.

Otherwise, you can ask all the questions you want about your Glock in the Handguns: Autoloaders section of our forum.

Do not take it amiss if you ask a controversial question and folks get short tempered and loud with each other. That's just the internet and we (the Staff) are here to help keep things polite and on-topic. Happy to help, and also happy to help you find answers if you've got a specific question and the search function isn't working well for you.

j1
March 17, 2014, 02:26 PM
I have been on this forum for quite a while but this is the forst time on almost any forum that I was sorry that I asked a question. I have never before seen members get nasty. I asked a question. If you do not like it do not answer it.
I feel that many people answering it have never handled a Glock or read anything about the problem.

Sam1911
March 17, 2014, 02:34 PM
I have been on this forum for quite a while but this is the forst time on almost any forum that I was sorry that I asked a question. I have never before seen members get nasty. Oh? Well, we see it three or four times a week, on a good week. Folks feel passionately about things and it is hard to say something "with a smile" -- or to read something in a spirit of friendliness -- over the web. Folks get riled and short and snippy with each other for the silliest reasons.

I'm sorry you felt bad for asking the question. Please don't worry about it, and ask whatever questions you do have. We'll make sure things stay on track.

I asked a question. If you do not like it do not answer it.
:) Oh, but some folks DO like it. Like it and have their right answer, and want to beat up on the guy who answers the opposite way! It's a sport. Like internet boxing, if you will. :)

I feel that many people answering it have never handled a Glock or read anything about the problem.Well, I doubt that was an accurate assessment. At this point, pretty much EVERYONE has handled Glocks, about half own one or two or a dozen, and between "Glock Leg," the question of whether you can shoot lead bullets in one, the question of the good/bad Glock grip angle, and the dreaded "Kaboom" issue, EVERYONE's got their favorite arguments and opinions when it comes to the Glock.

But like I said, if you can't find the answers you're looking for, we're happy to help!

Arkansas Paul
March 17, 2014, 04:07 PM
If you're going to frequent internet forums (this one or any other) you better have thick skin at times.

This is a great place with tons of knowledge and folks who will go out of their way to help. However there are nearly 10,000 active members here. With that many folks you will always find some that are very direct and opinionated and at times downright rude and off-putting. That's the way it is.

Hometeached1
March 17, 2014, 08:04 PM
Don't feel bad about people getting upset over something you posted. Even something like hugging (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=735517&highlight=Hugging+while+concealed+carrying) can set people off you never know. Although like Sam1911 pointed out the whole "Glock leg" is kind of old.

beatledog7
March 17, 2014, 08:54 PM
Glock threads tend to bring out the fanboys and the haters, and that's never gonna go well.

BTW, I am a multiple Glock owner, and though I sometimes carry them, I (like most Glock owners) have never shot myself in the leg with one. But then (also like most gun owners), I have never shot myself anywhere with any firearm.

j1
April 10, 2014, 01:55 PM
Having read this board for many years I still do not understand one thing. Having started a thread about are Glocks more dangerous I just read the thread and want to make a comment. The thread has been closed and I would like to know why. This is a great board and I read it all of the time.

Drail
April 10, 2014, 02:22 PM
Because the moderators and most of the people on this forum are sick of that discussion and because it almost always degenerates into general mudslinging. :banghead:

j1
April 10, 2014, 02:37 PM
There has been nomudslinging so far. I bought, own shoot and carry a Glock. I legitimately am interested in the responses to the thread. The really nice thing about this board is the fact that you can read what interests you and just skip right over what does not interest you. I and everyone else have that option available to us.

Onward Allusion
April 10, 2014, 03:05 PM
Because it is dead horse subject and every time it comes up there is always a handful of people who has absolutely no idea how the Glock or other semi's work but spew their opinion like gospel.

45_auto
April 10, 2014, 03:17 PM
The thread has been closed and I would like to know why.

Maybe because you start the exact same thread almost word for word every three weeks?

Kind of like having kids in the car constantly asking "Are we there yet? Are we there yet?".

I'd think that you would figure out sooner or later that you'll get the same answers as the first 10 or 12 times the exact same question was asked.

You can always PM the mods and ask them why, they'll be glad to give you a much nicer version of my answer.

Sam1911
April 10, 2014, 03:54 PM
I was VERY clear when I merged your threads as to why. In fact, I all but requested some direct answer as to why you'd repeatedly ask the same question. It's kind of odd behavior. Do you have memory loss issues, and maybe didn't realize you were repeating yourself?

Sam1911
April 10, 2014, 03:57 PM
Here is your thread: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=747007

You received over FIFTY good answers to your question. What more do you want?

Sam1911
April 10, 2014, 04:03 PM
Wow, in fact, you even started the same complaint thread -- with the same exact title! -- three weeks ago.

I've merged that one so we can help keep you all on the same page.

Sam1911
April 10, 2014, 04:07 PM
You've also started a thread with the following opening post:

Guns are involved in numerous killings. Our children have been attacked and slain repeatedly. What will the effects of plastic guns be on our society
and homeland security including airports and the crowds there? I have heard that people can create them on computer printers.

Yet you say you own Glocks and shoot them and want to know more about the dreaded "Glock Leg" disease?

I'm not sure what's up but there seems to be much confusion on one end of the line here, and I don't think it's mine.

Frank Ettin
April 10, 2014, 10:18 PM
j1, you basically asked if Glocks were dangerous.

Well the reality is that a Glock is gun, and all guns are [potentially] dangerous. And all guns, as long as in good working order, can be handled safely. So safety with a gun, any sort of gun in good working order, comes from the person having it in his/her hands (1) knowing how to manage it safely; and (2) doing so all the time. Safety is not about the gun; it's about the person holding it.

And it seems that every thread on gun safety comes down to repeating that same thing in various ways, using various words.

After a [short] while there's nothing further meaningful to add.

TennJed
April 12, 2014, 02:39 AM
j1 if you are not comfortable with glocks don't get one. Plenty of double action guns out there for you. As far as glocks not being safe, I would assume more glocks are sold every year than any other gun. they are very safe.

why do you keep starting thread asking the same question? why are you asking a question that has been asked a million times before? Just do a search here or on google for the topic and you will have months of reading material. No need to keep repeating it.

Honestly there is no reason to ask it or research it to be honest, because the answer is yes, they are safe.

JShirley
April 16, 2014, 11:05 AM
"They are as safe or unsafe as you."
Next question.

Field Tester
April 16, 2014, 03:46 PM
I have been on this forum for quite a while but this is the forst time on almost any forum that I was sorry that I asked a question. I have never before seen members get nasty. I asked a question. If you do not like it do not answer it.
I feel that many people answering it have never handled a Glock or read anything about the problem.
Bull. You got caught trying to start a flame war, twice! Take your lumps like a man and knock it off.

Sam1911
April 16, 2014, 04:10 PM
Guess the OP doesn't really feel like talking about Glock Leg anymore? Fine, enough wandering then.

If you enjoyed reading about "Why" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!