Now I remember...

PDA

bradvanhorn
April 3, 2004, 07:01 AM
... why I love shooting 10mm so much! I finally picked up my Delta Elite yesterday afternoon. While I was waiting for the NCIC call-back, I went into the range and fired a box of ammo through my Beretta 96. Hmmm... Not much push, but a lot of muzzle flip, and "snappy" as someone once put it here on THR. Next i put a box of ammo through the Delta Elite (they let me shoot it, even though NCIC delayed me). Wow! My memory of 10mm didn't do it justice. A big slow push into the hand and not a lot of muzzle flip... very pleasant to shoot actually. I was so happy with it that I got two more boxes of ammo and fired that off as well. I was easily able to rapid fire tight groups with it, since the muzzle doesn't rise all that much. Ahhh... I am at peace :D. Ironically, I always get delayed by NCIC because of my military security clearance/background investigation (go figure), but NCIC finally came through for me, and now the Delta has a happy new home. The only down side? At $18 for a box of 50 rounds of range ammo, it's very expensive to shoot. I'm going to have to learn to reload, or find a cheap supply of range ammo and buy in bulk.

If you enjoyed reading about "Now I remember..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MaterDei
April 3, 2004, 07:13 AM
Glad you're happy with the 10! That ammo is too rich for my blood.

I'm curious about this statement?
Ironically, I always get delayed by NCIC because of my military security clearance/background investigation (go figure)
I'm not disagreeing just wondering, how do you know that is the reason for the delay? I too have a TSBI clearance and have been delayed in the past, but not every time.

bradvanhorn
April 3, 2004, 08:25 AM
Ironically, I always get delayed by NCIC because of my military security clearance/background investigation

MaterDei - Discussion with NCIC revealed that when they see the codes for FBI investigations - done as a part of your SSBI - they are supposed to do some further research on you. Apparently the codes only indicate you are or were under investigation by the FBI, but provide no reason why. This usually results in a short delay while they verify that you are not a criminal or under criminal investigation. I can't guarantee this is the truth, but it certainly sounds plausible. But on the other hand, it sounds ridiculous that people with TS clearances get delayed, when most others get approval right away, but I guess I can follow the logic presented above.

wally
April 3, 2004, 09:11 AM
I think your "snappy" Beretta vs. the "long slow push" of the 10mm has more to do with the 1911-like design of the Delta Elite vs the very light slide of the Beretta than the difference in ammo.

--wally.

bradvanhorn
April 3, 2004, 10:32 AM
Hi Wally - yes you could be right about the difference in the two weapon designs accounting for the difference in felt recoil. However, my impression of the 10mm vs 40S&W has always been "pushy vs snappy", even when fired in the same weapon design (Glock 20 & 22, and 1911s in both calibers). My Kimber 40S&W should arrive on Monday, so I think another side-by-side comparison is definitely in order. I'll post again after I shoot them both, and we'll see if I still feel the same then...

wally
April 3, 2004, 02:47 PM
10mm in the same bullet weight will have more recoil than a .40 S&W of the same bullet weight unless the 10mm is loaded down to .40 S&W velocities.

How the recoil feels is a function of the gun -- its weight and slide mass and/or recoil spring strength. Only you can describe how it feels somehow different to you. I don't think you can generalize this to be a virtue or liability of a particular caliber or brand of ammo.

Some guns are uncomfortable to shoot in some hands -- Walther PPK/S is one that despite being a "wimpy" .380ACP quite a few folks find unpleasant to shoot.

--wally.

Black Snowman
April 3, 2004, 03:38 PM
I really like the 10mm. Right now I just have a Delta Elite but if the AWB sunsets I'll probaly get a G20 and a Witness 10mm also. If it doesn't I'll probably pick up a S&W 610-1

My Delta weights quite a bit and that helps tame the recoil a lot. Someone at the range burned up a ton of 10mm through their Glock 20 before I got there because there was about 150-250 spent Federal cases sitting on the floor. I snatched those up as it's sometimes tricky locating exactly where my Starline brass went once it leaves my Delta. :uhoh:

The brass I picked up easily covered the days range fee. :D

rich2u
April 3, 2004, 06:15 PM
Try WWW.lancerammo.com
$9.75 for reloaded 180 gr fmj ,3 bucks more for new.

If you enjoyed reading about "Now I remember..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!