Remcell Pad doesn't even close to fit my 1990's 870...

PDA

Macchina
March 27, 2014, 11:35 PM
I have an 870 from the early 90's. The pad on it is rock hard, so I purchased a new Remcell pad (they only one option for wood cells). The thing is off by 1/8". I wasn't hoping for a perfect fit, but it looks like this was made for another gun. There is a 1/8" gap of extra wood on both sides and a 1/8" gap of extra pad on the top. This is very frustratng! Should I expect all pads made from 870's not to fit? I'm tempted to just buy a whole new stock to make sure the pad fits.

Any suggestions aside from a grind-to-fit pad? IMO they are just too expensive for something I have to fit myself...

If you enjoyed reading about "Remcell Pad doesn't even close to fit my 1990's 870..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ugaarguy
March 27, 2014, 11:51 PM
What variant is your 870? Do you have a local gun store or a nearby Bass Pro or Cabela's that stocks the Remington Supercell, Sims Limbsaver, or Pachmayr Decelerator? If so, you could take the original pad in there and compare it to pre-fit 870 options.

Macchina
March 28, 2014, 12:01 AM
It's just a standard 870 Express. I can't believe they changed the stock shape this much. The stock is from the factory and has never been modified in any way.

rcmodel
March 28, 2014, 12:42 AM
There was a time not long ago when pads were fitted oversize, and ground & finished with the stock.
No two were exactly the same.

Buying a pre-fit pad that fits all stocks is really a recent thing.

rc

PabloJ
March 28, 2014, 01:04 AM
You should have picked one of the pre-fit Limbsaver pads. They even have vertical screw slots so drilling new holes is not needed in most cases. I was able to achieve perfect fit for 12ga Charles Daly Ithaca 37 using youth model 870 pad.

gamestalker
March 28, 2014, 02:49 AM
Wow, I didn't know made to fit pads were available, I've always had to fit mine, must be nice.

GS

JohnBT
March 28, 2014, 08:10 AM
" can't believe they changed the stock shape this much"

Yes, they did. I bought an Express 12 ga. in 1993 and a few years later had to sand down a pre-fit Decelerator to fit. They changed the stock shape. This was confirmed by Rem and www.gamaliel.com

It was worth it. The original pad was a fake - a hollow hard plastic box with a little rubber stretched over it.

Macchina
March 28, 2014, 10:49 AM
Wow, I didn't know made to fit pads were available, I've always had to fit mine, must be nice.

GS
That's the problem: they claim it's a pre fit when it only fits 2004 and newer stocks...

ugaarguy
March 28, 2014, 09:38 PM
That's the problem: they claim it's a pre fit when it only fits 2004 and newer stocks...
Well, the stock shape was changed. If there was enough demand for pre-fit pads for the older stocks Remington would offer them. Have you contacted Brownells or Midway to see if another manufacturer offers a suitable alternative that's pre-fit to the older stock?

If you enjoyed reading about "Remcell Pad doesn't even close to fit my 1990's 870..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!