Update on my HK USP Kaboom

PDA

gggman
April 3, 2004, 05:05 PM
I won't go into details about the KB. It's all here.....
http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/hk-kb.html

One month later the gun is back in my hands, as good as new. They installed my slide and barrel on a brand new lower unit, including a new mag, testfired, and returned it to me.:)
Total damage, including overnight shipping to my door was $162.50.
HK customer service was excellent.
The first thing I did was dry fire it (using snap caps) about a couple hundred times. Before the KB, the trigger pull was 4.5 lbs, and with the new lower unit it measured 5.25 lbs.
After pulling the trigger 200 or so times, it's down to 4.75 lbs. I'm sure this will improve with use.
I took it out shooting, and the results are great.
I put a couple hundred rounds of various ammo through it, including 230 gr. hardball, 200 gr. LSWC, 230 gr. JHP and 200 gr. FMJ match.
I had one failure to feed with the FMJ match, but that was with a cheap Pro-Mag aftermarket magazine. With the factory mags it was 100 percent reliable with all types of ammo.
This gun is seriously accurate. I had 10 rounds in 2.5 inches at 25 yards, but nine of those were in 1.5 inches. No doubt that would be even better in the hands of someone who can shoot.:D
All the spent shell casings were dropped neatly into a 3 ft. diameter circle on the ground.
All in all, I would say that the USP is an extremely well made pistol, and my experience with HK customer service is very positive.
I think the $162.50 repair costs are very reasonable. I was totally up front with them in taking the blame for using bad ammo, and I think they treated me very fairly.

If you enjoyed reading about "Update on my HK USP Kaboom" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
7.62FullMetalJacket
April 3, 2004, 05:17 PM
Good for you and HK.

caz223
April 3, 2004, 05:30 PM
I've yet to meet the H&K pistol that couldn't put 5 rounds in less than 3 inches at 25 yards, with the right pair of hands.
Sounds fair to me.
Kudos to the H&K service center.
EAA take note.

Cawdor
April 3, 2004, 06:48 PM
Did the serial number on your frame change?

tc300mag1
April 3, 2004, 07:44 PM
Excellent every says Hk service is pretty good to deal with .. Im also wondering about the serial number..

gggman
April 3, 2004, 07:56 PM
Yes, the ser. # on the frame is different. The slide and frame now have non-matching numbers. Likely reduces the resale value of the pistol, but I can live with that. I've already got more money invested in it than I'll ever be able to recoup. It's still a great gun, and I'm not looking to sell it. From now on it will only be seeing a diet of factory ammo, and my own handloads.:o

tc300mag1
April 3, 2004, 08:07 PM
Hum that would make it a pain here since we have to have them inspected:rolleyes: and the serial # goes on the card. have to get it reinspected.

At least your all set to go :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Update on my HK USP Kaboom" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!