Protocol

PDA

poteen
March 31, 2014, 07:12 AM
I am brand new to the site, as a matter of fact brand new to any forum.

My question is, and this is not a complaint. Why when I see a thread that has something I would like to learn more about and open it, the original subject gets lost in personal anecdotes, wish lists and non subject related conversation??

Speaking for myself, it requires a lot of "Chaff Sorting" to acquire the information or opinion/guidance that I originally went to the site to get.

Is there some sort of "BS sorter" tab that I missed.

If you enjoyed reading about "Protocol" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sam1911
March 31, 2014, 07:23 AM
Have you ever met people? Ever had a conversation with people? It's sort of like that.

Ask a question, get an answer ... and a few suggestions and a few reminiscences and a smattering of thoughts this thing reminds someone of.
And you do them the politeness of listening to their thoughts as they answer your question.

We get enough complaints as it is that we close down too many threads and delete too much stuff that folks took the time to write, just because it wasn't on topic.

Guess you'll have to be your own "BS sorter."

fallout mike
March 31, 2014, 07:42 AM
Welcome to the internet!

Sam1911
March 31, 2014, 07:46 AM
You might have the internet confused with a tech-support help line. We can't promise to make folks stay perfectly focused on your question or need (especially if you're clicking into someone else's thread on a subject!) ...

... but you know, we won't put you on hold, make you listen to muzak, or charge you $3.99 a minute, either. :D

fallout mike
March 31, 2014, 08:04 AM
I think Sam nailed it.:D

taliv
March 31, 2014, 09:50 AM
you picked a great join date

(see how thread drift works?)

Mal H
March 31, 2014, 11:09 AM
Ha! Right! That was the 2057th anniversary of that fateful day. Interesting. (2057 because there was no year zero)

(... and so it continues ...)

ugaarguy
March 31, 2014, 04:16 PM
Poteen, to give you a more serious answer, we really do try to keep things on topic here. We pride ourselves on having a very high ratio of signal to noise. However, we're still a discussion forum. There are going to be comments directly related to the topic, people are going to suggest alternatives, and others are going to drift a little off the topic in the course of discussion. If it gets grossly off topic we (the staff) will step in and try to clean up the thread.

Of course, if there is something that you're not finding an answer to you can always start a new thread in the appropriate forum.

hso
March 31, 2014, 04:49 PM
a lot of "Chaff Sorting" to acquire the information

That's the nature of anything outside of a formal training setting.

Fred Fuller
March 31, 2014, 04:52 PM
Is there some sort of "BS sorter" tab that I missed

If you could invent one of those (or write the software for it), you'd get RICH :D.

That said, welcome aboard THR, and welcome to forums in general. Forums are where crowds gather, and sometimes conversations wander. We call it "thread drift." The staff here tries to keep things on track, and this is one of the more controlled forums on the web in that and other regards (some people think we're TOO controlling, in fact).

Oh well. We try.

Best thing to do, if you have specific questions that are not being addressed, is to ask on the thread that caught your interest. If that doesn't do it, you can start your own thread on the subject you're interested in. Don't forget that the site has a search feature - it might be the question has already been asked and answered.

hth!

poteen
April 1, 2014, 04:34 PM
Thanks one and mostly all for your astute observations and forum protocol. I have always tried to abide by the modified "Thumper" philosophy , if I hadn't anything useful to say I didn't say anything. Guess I am not as addicted to typing as some folks.
I'll just treat the forum like a trip to our local Gun Plumber. Sometimes you get good information and a neat trick, and sometimes it's mostly plant food.

pbearperry
April 1, 2014, 04:49 PM
If off topic drives you crazy,stay away from Facebook.lol :evil:

Claude Clay
April 1, 2014, 04:50 PM
hmm, given that information is power and power often yields wealth,
i hope you did not over pay

----------
you, just you, have to do this yourself for yourself

read here ( or where ever you go) long enough to grok who
knows what and speaks truly. and even they sometimes take the long way .

9mmepiphany
April 1, 2014, 05:06 PM
Thanks one and mostly all for your astute observations and forum protocol. I have always tried to abide by the modified "Thumper" philosophy , if I hadn't anything useful to say I didn't say anything. Guess I am not as addicted to typing as some folks.
I'll just treat the forum like a trip to our local Gun Plumber. Sometimes you get good information and a neat trick, and sometimes it's mostly plant food.
That is pretty much my philosophy too.

14.5k post later, and look where it has gotten me. ;)

BTW: Welcome to the forum

blarby
April 4, 2014, 05:22 PM
Sometimes, righting the sails full tilt into thread drift lands us right where we need or want to be, however.

Rare, but it does happen.

Generally, Poteen.... In whatever subforum you visit, find a few names that give the best ansers to questions you find relevant. Gravitate to those responses, and you'll reap a lot more wheat than straw.

Welcome to THR :D

artpotts
April 4, 2014, 05:48 PM
Sometimes that "BS" answers a question you didn't know you needed to ask, and sometimes it just makes you smile.

If you enjoyed reading about "Protocol" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!