Anything new in shower stall mount holsters?

PDA

Tallbald
April 2, 2014, 01:41 PM
Not sure if this would be better posted in the Tactics and Training section, so posted this here as a holster question.
Here in my home town last fall there was a shooting wherein as a man exited the shower stall he was attacked by an intruder. Talk about being caught with your pants down. This got me to thinking about the practicality of a wall mounted holster right inside the shower stall for quick easy access in a usually vulnerable section of one's home.
I'm confident that in a shower stall, a stainless steel weapon would be best for corrosion resistance. I also would be inclined to use a revolver rather than a semi-auto. Not to start a flame, but soap scum risks and stray hairs could I think affect reliability in an auto, while the leverage provided by the hammer of a single action or even a double action could help overcome calcium build-up issues. Regular cleaning and maintenance would be critical for reliable function of any tactical shower weapon. Another option might be a simple two shot derringer-style weapon. Thoughts appreciated.
Kydex, which I believe is waterproof, would I think be preferable to leather for the holster due to moisture. My concern is mounting technique. Although I hate the idea of drilling a fiberglass stall wall (we don't have a tub, or ceramic tile in the master bathroom), I'd hate to rely on even the large suction cups I see securing soap trays, washcloth racks and the like. And the heavy duty suction cups meant for industrial applications are usually black which does not complement decor, a big factor in selection).
Ammunition choice involves other issues I think about. I have considered a lacquer-based coating or some military style coating that would effectively seal the cartridge against the heat and moisture laden environment, and the penetration of the better brands of body wash and protein-enriched shampoos. With the concerns of sudsy waters dripping downward, I myself would be quite concerned that if suds were to collect and dry at the business end of individual cartridges, the hollow point of self defense ammo would effectively become filled and ineffective in promoting expansion. I'd rather not rely on solid point projectiles because of over-penetration risks.
After reviewing in my mind the possible scenarios involving my at-risk behavior needed while bathing, I've come to realize that there are just times I cannot cover every possibility. The extreme approaches I have seen posted on some forums addressing vulnerability while dealing with personal hygiene (tiny .22 caliber revolvers kept rolled up in several layers of toilet tissue, allowing one to ask an intruder for a moment to finish, then unwinding paper allowing the revolver to drop into your hand "on the sly") are more caution than I'm willing to take.
All thoughts appreciated. Don

If you enjoyed reading about "Anything new in shower stall mount holsters?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
April 2, 2014, 02:17 PM
I can't think of a much more hostile environment for storing a gun then inside a shower stall.

The only possible way I can think of for a gun to survive would be sealed inside a water & air-proof container of some sort.

Tupper-Ware food storage containers come to mind first.
With a desiccant pack kept from any contact with the gun.

Then if you Ever pop the lid seal in the wet shower?

Get it out of there, and clean it, and make sure it, the container, and the desiccant pack are completely dried out again.

rc

leadcounsel
April 2, 2014, 08:55 PM
Only mildly serious conversation here...

But I'm envisioning two basic scenarios.

1) You are in the shower and are alerted to an intruder in your home (alarm, dog, crashing noise...). Probably takes all of 3 seconds to step out of the shower, walk to the nearest counter/dresser where you have your trusty sidearm concealed under a towel, pick up the phone, dial 911, and put on your pants.

2) You are in the shower and are surprised when the Boogyman attacks you in the shower. Scenario 2 - you won't have time to open a container to draw your gun. If you are that concerned about this situation, you need to revert back to scenario 1 and get an alarm. However, if you must put a weapon in the shower, I would vacuum seal a 5" Kbar style fighting knife, and hang it in your shower. Preserved from rust, instant self defense, and I bet you could probably grab it by the handle and thrust it to defend yourself and it would cut right through the vacuum seal. Much faster and more effective in a wrestling match. Alternately, possibly a small 'tire kicker' style club, made out of a strong non-rot and non-rust material, like a baton or something.

Tirod
April 2, 2014, 10:26 PM
Water tight camping box, Command adhesive tapes, and a link: http://www.prepper-resources.com/diy-15-shower-gun-box/

As for stepping out of the shower with no clue, can't help there. Apparently home security was zilch, someone could just walk in without making any noise at all? Doors weren't locked, what locks were used were easily manipulated or next to glass openings, someone else opened the door instead of checking who knocked?

If an intruder can be standing in the bathroom while the resident is blissfully ignorant they wandered in, there are much more serious problems with security and access than a gun in the shower is going to fix.

Hopefully it's a great time to pour a pitcher of ice water on them. :evil: Ah, the memories.

Jenrick
April 2, 2014, 10:36 PM
As far as in the shower edged weapon http://www.coldsteel.com/Category/18_1/Plastic_Knives.aspx

Plastic certainly doesn't care you're getting it wet and soapy. They will cut and stab just fine.

-Jenrick

WestKentucky
April 2, 2014, 11:08 PM
Cousin worked up north on the Alaska pipeline, was a chef. Previous chef was mauled by a bear. He bought a raging bull 454. It stayed in a shoulder holster hung from a hook on the back of the door next to the shower. Gun survived well enough as he was scared of bears and cleaned it and oiled it regularly. Only damage was from banging it against the trash hopper when flinging trash in.

bainter1212
April 2, 2014, 11:14 PM
The Ka bar idea is a good one. Nobody attacking you in the shower will expect that.

Put it in a ziplock bag and hang it from a shower hook. You can still use the knife without removing it from the bag.

ColtPythonElite
April 2, 2014, 11:27 PM
Just lock the bathroom door.

Ron James
April 3, 2014, 01:23 AM
or, don't bother to shower, then no one will want to get close to you, anytime.:evil:

Combat Engineer
April 3, 2014, 10:36 AM
Haven't taken a shower in 30 years.

Prefer a bath... have a 1930s claw foot bathtub. The bathtub is the way to go, enameled cast iron. Trays on either side, keep a 1911 on each. Very relaxing soak.

Recall an infamous shower murder incident, the 1982 homicide of W. Hartmann, who upon exiting his shower was shot by his wife's lover. Police found Mr. Hartmann shot 5 times in the head, 8 times in the chest, and once in the scrotum, all bullets 45 ACP.

"Hours later, she (Mrs. Hartmann) comes into the Northbrook Police Department and says her husband committed suicide," detectives did not buy her story. [Chicago Tribune, Nov 23, 1989]

Tallbald
April 3, 2014, 11:34 AM
Interesting and thought provoking responses all. I thank each of you. It seems to me that had Janet Leigh in 1960's Hitchcock classic thriller "Psycho" given tactical bathing preparation some thoughts she may not have ended up with the world getting a close-up view of her eyeball. I sure don't plan on that happening to me. I think I'll study up on "nude knife fighting techniques" and practice at the range occasionally,wet down and sudsy while in the buff. Can't be too prepared. Don.

sauer1911
April 3, 2014, 12:09 PM
Brilliant, Simple, Quick, and even better, lock the front door too!

be safe

natsb
April 3, 2014, 03:31 PM
I am blessed with a natural defense when stepping out of the shower. One of two possibilities will happen. The bad guy will either be frozen with terror, or be laughing so hard he can't get off the floor. Either way, I will have plenty of time to make it to the night stand.

bainter1212
April 3, 2014, 04:06 PM
Or you could take a big No. 2 before your shower. The toxic gases will stop any attacker.

cammogunner
April 3, 2014, 04:21 PM
if your woried grab you a fixed blade knife
make the blade a lil bit dull if the boogy man atempts to grab you evan if you dont stick him right that dull point will keep him in enough pain to not want to fight to hard

BSA1
April 3, 2014, 09:22 PM
You have got to be kidding. Install good locks on the exterior and bathroom door , lock them when you shower, when traveling don't stay at the Bates Motel and don't insult Norman's mother.

TAKtical
April 4, 2014, 02:45 PM
I could rig up a kydex holster that would hang upside down from the shower head or curtain rod.

rcmodel
April 4, 2014, 02:47 PM
Tactical Soap-On-A-Rope? :D

rc

toiville2feathers
April 4, 2014, 03:18 PM
If you use a glock you will be fine, plastic don't rust, Thats about as "tactical on a rope as you can get.:neener:

Sol
April 4, 2014, 04:31 PM
How about a zany "Home Alone" inspired trap that involves your shower and a hair dryer or radio?

Field Tester
April 4, 2014, 05:17 PM
Haven't taken a shower in 30 years.

Prefer a bath... have a 1930s claw foot bathtub. The bathtub is the way to go, enameled cast iron. Trays on either side, keep a 1911 on each. Very relaxing soak.

Recall an infamous shower murder incident, the 1982 homicide of W. Hartmann, who upon exiting his shower was shot by his wife's lover. Police found Mr. Hartmann shot 5 times in the head, 8 times in the chest, and once in the scrotum, all bullets 45 ACP.

"Hours later, she (Mrs. Hartmann) comes into the Northbrook Police Department and says her husband committed suicide," detectives did not buy her story. [Chicago Tribune, Nov 23, 1989]
http://murderpedia.org/female.H/h/hartmann-debra.htm

CE, thanks for bringing this up and making me research this!
I believe this is the murder you're talking about.
This is the first murder with a NFA Machinegun that I've ever found beyond that police officer one.

Field Tester
April 4, 2014, 05:20 PM
Tallbald,

I always love your posts. You never fail to deliver.

Field Tester
April 4, 2014, 05:29 PM
http://murderpedia.org/female.H/h/hartmann-debra.htm

CE, thanks for bringing this up and making me research this!
I believe this is the murder you're talking about.
This is the first murder with a NFA Machinegun that I've ever found beyond that police officer one.
I take it back. I can't find anything saying it was a properly tax stamped machine gun.
Guess that just leaves that cop who killed his wife.

CWL
April 4, 2014, 07:40 PM
I think that a Remington Marine Magnum stoked with 3" magnum loads propped in the corner ought to work for your needs.

Or you could hang it from the shower curtain rod.

http://www.homecrux.com/wp-content/gallery/branch-shower-curtain-rings-with-hooks/branch-shower-curtain-rings-with-hooks_1.jpg

MIL-DOT
April 4, 2014, 07:57 PM
Unless I knew that I was on a Cartel hit-list, I wouldn't even consider taking a pistol into the shower with me. I'd say that's paranoia bordering on stupidity, not to mention criminal negligence (of an innocent firearm:D).
I do always lock the door just so no one can walk right up on me, and if I'm alone in the house, I'll often take a pistol in the bathroom with me, and lay it on the counter with a T-shirt over it.
But that's about as far as I'm going.

Hullraiser
April 4, 2014, 08:00 PM
If I'm alone I always turn alarm system on and there's a gun access about 30 sec away

Combat Engineer
April 5, 2014, 03:24 PM
A determined skilled criminal may not be deterred by a security system.

"...there's a gun access about 30 sec away "

30 seconds in a gunfight is a l-o-n-g time. A good shooter can fire a 1911 four times in one second... which means I would be Swiss cheese in way less than 30 seconds. And if there are multiple shooters it only gets worse, for example, in a matter of seconds, Dr. C. Weiss was shot 62 times. He died instantly.

I prefer a handgun on my person, and bathe in an enameled cast iron bathtub, with side trays of course... for the 1911s.

Like Bill Jordan used to say, ain't 'no second place winner' in a gunfight.

Hullraiser
April 5, 2014, 06:36 PM
Access 30 sec away would be a bad idea if you lived in a 1 or two room house. I'm showering on a different level where a break in may occur. Alarm system gives me plenty advance warning as well as making someone think twice about continuing to enter.
One of the main things I do is make sure I don't have a loaded gun laying out for them

TRX
April 6, 2014, 09:29 AM
> Unless I knew that I was on a Cartel hit-list

I've lived in places where I felt a smash-and-grab "invasion" was fairly likely.

Life has its ups and downs. Having a plan to deal with the downs is a good idea.

Hometeached1
April 6, 2014, 01:40 PM
If other people (who are carrying or at least have access to a firearm) are in the house, the bath room door is locked (mostly so that no one can get the gun with out me knowing) and I'll put my 642 under my clothes on the sink. If alone doors are locked and the 642 goes in a zip lock bag in the shower with me at least I can fire it inside the bag if need be and it keeps it dry. Just my two cents.

CE if I had a bath tub like that I would never shower again. Very nice.

DammitBoy
April 6, 2014, 02:10 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_-kZfLgIo2Nk/R4m_rn0C2II/AAAAAAAAABI/q5ALn7IDjp4/s1600/Cookie%2BShower%2BGun.png

Mike1234567
April 6, 2014, 02:58 PM
I'd be far more concerned about the attacker going blind after seeing me nekked. Poor foolish idiot.

JudgeHolden10
April 6, 2014, 04:19 PM
After reviewing in my mind the possible scenarios involving my at-risk behavior needed while bathing, I've come to realize that there are just times I cannot cover every possibility.

I think you just answered your own question. Or listen to ColtPythonElite.

And, not to be an @$$ or anything, but I thought this was something from April 1.

4thPointOfContact
April 6, 2014, 04:55 PM
I'll secure the exterior doors, but that bathroom door is gonna be wide open so I can hear. They're so flimsy they won't stop a ten year old from busting one open.

Re the firearm, oil it up and put inside a zip lock bag. Mount a magnet, or a large soap shelf to the shower tile and it will be there for years without trouble.

EmGeeGeorge
April 6, 2014, 05:38 PM
Plate carrier with ceramic inserts?

Or vacuum-sealed Kevlar vest?

A steel security door for the bathroom might work. Think "safe room" with toilet and shower perhaps?

ColtPythonElite
April 6, 2014, 06:15 PM
I'll secure the exterior doors, but that bathroom door is gonna be wide open so I can hear. They're so flimsy they won't stop a ten year old from busting one open.

Re the firearm, oil it up and put inside a zip lock bag. Mount a magnet, or a large soap shelf to the shower tile and it will be there for years without trouble.
I don't see how you can hear over the water noise.

Mike1234567
April 6, 2014, 06:20 PM
If I was concerned about someone attacking me in the shower, other than Heidi Klum, I'd keep a pistol mounted on a wall and within arm's reach just outside the shower door.

Fred Defender
April 19, 2014, 09:38 PM
The title of this thread certainly caught my attention. It got me to thinking that, perhaps, I should think about having a pistol with me when I am in the bathroom. But the shower...??? I don't think so.

The wife and I live in a 2-story house with both bathrooms on the second floor. And we have a house full of dogs including a 110-lb Lab and a standard poodle, both of which have very loud and threatening barks. Even when I am traveling on business, I don't see the Mrs showering with her SP101.

phillipduran
April 23, 2014, 12:33 PM
Id say during a shower, you are at one of your least situationally aware household moments. Water rushing over your ears, noise from fans and shower heads, soapy face and so on.

A family member of mine rinsed off, turned off the shower, pulled back the curtain and was staring trough her open shower door at a home intruder about 20 feet away. He split when she saw him, but she had no idea he was there until she was done with her shower.

Having a ready defense while showering is a good practice. I carry at all time where permitted including during showering. I put my firearm between the clear shower curtain and outer decorative curtain on the side of the tub. I would find some way to adapt a regular holster with some sort of drape over, weighted flap. You could lay that over the top of a shower door and be good to go.

Hullraiser
April 23, 2014, 10:54 PM
Phillip, that sounds like a bad^ dream. I always turn my alarm system on when alone. I also make sure I don't leave any loaded guns out for them. Most burglars don't carry guns unless you supply them one. At least that's how it used to be.

ba ba booey
April 28, 2014, 02:38 AM
If your neighborhood causes you that much concern.....get yourself a good german shepard or doberman. Odds are no matter what the Dog will alert you and keep them occuppied long enough for you to retreive a non shower stall firearm.

kitsapshooter
April 28, 2014, 03:24 AM
I find all this talk about having guns is a bathing situation very disturbing. I may never take off my clothes again. :neener::neener:

ECVMatt
May 2, 2014, 08:59 PM
Well if it could happen to the Duke:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lCYxEOOCRU

WestKentucky
May 2, 2014, 09:21 PM
Just sayin...soap scum is a pain to clean off of a wall. I wouldn't consider allowing that funk into a gun to clean, and any boxes that would be adequate protection would take too long to get into. Glad this "need" isn't on my top 1000 on the priority list...comes just after reusable toilet paper.

armoredman
May 2, 2014, 10:51 PM
Layered defenses are an excellent beginning, starting with deadbolts, security screen doors, alarm systems, lighting of hard to see out door areas, etc. Bathroom door should be shut and locked while showering. If you have a big dog or two, said animals SHOULD raise enough ruckus for you to hear even over the shower noise. Don't use a shower radio and sing along, unless you're voice is bad enough to cause physical pain, then it could be considered a defensive weapon.
If you must have a sidearm in the bathroom, a shrouded hammer revolver in a heavy duty plastic sealed baggie would be easiest and safest. A shrouded hammer, (not a "concealed hammer" like the Taurus 85CH), won't snag on the plastic. A revolver doesn't require room for the slide to move without hanging up on something, and even though the sides and front of the bag will be blown away with muzzle and cylinder blast, the plastic shouldn't foul the gun for followup shots. A very heavy duty plastic bag like this with a corner hole inset, (like a shower curtain hole, reinforced and sealed off from the inside of the bag), might be a cute novelty shower "holster" to sell at the gun shows. :)
Probably would work, too. Might be interesting for someone to do some video with this as a premise. Just use clothed models, keep it family friendly.

My $.02, generally worth a little less than you paid for it. ;)

1911 guy
May 3, 2014, 02:30 AM
I lived in a part of the world for a short time where showering with a pistol was normal. Well, as normal as that part of the world can be. We also flipped a coin to see who got the privilege of sleeping in the bathtub. Here's the process:

Ditch holster and mag pouches in dresser drawer. Do not want them visible on belt while pantaloons are on the floor in bathroom.

Stash pistol and spare mag between shirt and pants. Do not arrange them neatly, it will be too obvious there is something there. Drop shirt on floor, put pistol on shirt, drop pants on top.

After drying off, put on pants, stick pistol in waistband, put on shirt and go back to bedroom to re-install holster and mag pouches. Wipe pistol off, clean well at least weekly.

Keeping a pistol in the bathroom full time is a recipe for a rusted hunk-o-junk in a relatively short time.

25cschaefer
May 3, 2014, 01:28 PM
Is the bathroom gun for a scenario where your legless boyfriend decides to shoot at you through the door?

Hullraiser
May 4, 2014, 12:35 PM
Is the bathroom gun for a scenario where your legless boyfriend decides to shoot at you through the door?

Lol... That would be the perfect scenario !!
As for the topic title, I didn't know any of anything old in shower stall holsters?
But as I said before, you're at your most vulnerable should something happen. I ALWAYS turn my alarm system on, put away any loaded firearms laying out & have access to a loaded shotgun within 30 sec or so. I'm also in the lower level from main. It does have a window and wouldn't be hard to figure out I was in there while home alone

krupparms
May 4, 2014, 01:49 PM
As I am disabled, I have a steel hold on bar that is very easily installed in alot of tubs & showers. My carry peace gets a towel around it after putting it in a plastic bag & then I just slide it between the wall & hand bar. This works very well. Even in a hotel / motel as they are put in most tubs /showers. After I am dressed I take out &wipe it down! (Inside &Out! ). Since I don't have a alarm system I lean some stuff against the door so it will fall outward if the B.R. door is opened. I have had tweakers break in & we only have 2 S.O.s on duty in a county the size of R.I.! So you are own for 1hour+ in most S.D. situations!

Twiki357
May 5, 2014, 02:57 AM
A lot of interesting scenarios in these posts. Only problem I see is that if you’re in the shower, an intruder is going to fill up a pillow case and be long gone before you turn off the water unless you have a loud dog and/or an alarm. That is as long as your property is the target and not you.

45_auto
May 5, 2014, 08:41 AM
I figured that people on this forum would have learned to take bubble baths 48 years ago from "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly". After all, it it can happen in the movies, it'll probably happen to you! :rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AApIyQK-vEQ

gym
May 5, 2014, 06:25 PM
You need the new "vault showering system" that I began working on after I saw your post,. 2 inch steel with bullet proof glass doors. It will survive a 10 megaton explosion. I can also but a nice Flat screen and fiberglass bench seat in there, along with the tail gun from an old B17 Flying Fortress. I have to work out the kinks, but let me know how it sounds so far. It can all be m0ounted on the bed of a Silverado, just in case you need to get out of there fast.

Chief Day USN RET
May 5, 2014, 06:38 PM
Navy Chiefs come equiped with a club between the knees.

Chief Day USN RET
May 5, 2014, 06:40 PM
Needs a dog.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anything new in shower stall mount holsters?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!