Will you take the small pox shot?

PDA

Stinkyshoe
February 5, 2003, 02:50 PM
I am wondering how many of you will take the small pox shot if it is forced. I have heard from some that the small pox shot is a government ploy to kill off 80% of the population. I have also heard that the shot is no big deal and that it is for our safety. My brother has to get it this weekend because he is in the Army. He doesn't have a choice whether he wants to take it or not. I can't imagine that the U.S. would kill its own people, but then again I have also heard that the government covered up the golf war disease.
What are you thoughts on this topic?
Thanks
Ss

If you enjoyed reading about "Will you take the small pox shot?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
spacemanspiff
February 5, 2003, 03:03 PM
i think the black helicopters are circling your perimeter, but they are in silent mode so you cant hear them.

80% casualties? the 20% that survive will have fun looting, i mean, recovering, thats the word, recovering guns from the dead.

foghornl
February 5, 2003, 03:37 PM
Not now

Not ever

bogie
February 5, 2003, 03:44 PM
Guys, most of you have ALREADY had smallpox vaccine. It's just that it becomes ineffective after about 15 years or so.

Unless you are immune-compromised, odds are you won't have anything to worry about.

What I _would_ worry about is that a terrorist organization could infect a few dozen "martyrs" and have 'em go out and ride mass transit around the U.S., resulting in infection of MILLIONS with a virus that has very high mortality factor.

I'm :cuss: that I can't go down to my doc's TODAY and get vaccinated.

voilsb
February 5, 2003, 03:49 PM
I would volunteer to take it. I wouldn't have to be forced.

10-Ring
February 5, 2003, 03:54 PM
Dude, you might have crossed over from "the outer limits of my insanity!" Get a grip, stop believing all the crap and understand that the new threat to civilization is EVIL personafied and will use biological agents to achieve his plan.

Would I take it? Absolutely & so will my young son ;)

Mike Irwin
February 5, 2003, 03:56 PM
Golf war disease?

What's that? The rash you get from sitting on your rump watching Tiger Woods?

I don't know who in the flaming :cuss: told you that this was a ploy by the goverment to kill 80% of the population.

Jesus Christ.

OK. Is your brother dead yet? If the odds are truly correct, it's unlikely that your brother survived his innoculation.

Also, what would killing 80% of the population accomplish?

If you kill 80% of the military, that leaves a military force of around 250,000.

The general population would fall to 53,000,000 or there abouts.

American industry and society would immediately come to a screeching halt.

Given that essential elements of society would be affected, such as food production and distribution as well as the medical services, FAR more people that that would die.

Essentially the US would go, in roughly a heartbeat, from being the world's most powerful nation to being one that could be conquored by Cuba.

Normally I like to simply laugh at conspiracy theorists. But the one who cooked up this theory needs to be severely beaten.

Finally, I had a small pox innoculation in 1965.

TheOtherOne
February 5, 2003, 03:59 PM
I am wondering how many of you will take the small pox shot if it is forced.
The Government isn't planning to force it on civilians, are they? I thought it was going to be strictly voluntary. They just want to make sure that it's available for everyone. Health care people first and then everyone else, if they want it.

I guess if you are in the military though, then the vaccine will be forced on you?

Leatherneck
February 5, 2003, 04:04 PM
WOW. The first one on THR. :rolleyes:
TC
TFL Survivor

Viking6
February 5, 2003, 04:19 PM
I'd take it (as long as it's not in kool-aid ). As for forced or not; I don't know that it is. I do remember something about having the "first responders" take it and the military so neither of those critical resources would be incapacitated.

Jmurman
February 5, 2003, 04:21 PM
I got it when I was a child...a LONG time ago. I would get it again.

denfoote
February 5, 2003, 04:23 PM
Been there!! Done that, when I was a kid!!!

Ebbtide
February 5, 2003, 04:31 PM
I recall the days when everyone got it. No big deal, I'll get it again.

FYI: George Washington order his troops back in the 1700's to get it. Aparently, small pox has been a problem and a weapon of war for some time.

It is also reported that the U.S. gave blankets to the Indians infected with small pox.

Viking6
February 5, 2003, 04:37 PM
I have heard that the British during the Colonial Period did it (blankets, infested) to the Indians by design and the US may have done it out of negligence during the early reservation days. I may have it entirely wrong.

Kruzr
February 5, 2003, 04:40 PM
I was already forced to take a smallpox vaccination.......in 1956 and again in the early 60's in elementary school. I don't recall 80% of my classmates dying so the rumor might be "a bit overblown" perhaps by about 99.997% or so. Some people will have an adverse reaction......after all you are introducing smallpox into the body......but other than a very slight fever and an ugly pus filled bump on your arm, you should survive. :rolleyes:

I'll get vaccinated again when I'm convinced the threat of smallpox is real. I may be too late but I'll take that chance. Oh, and for those who have never been vaccinated, its not a shot, its a series of "pin pricks" on your arm.

ball3006
February 5, 2003, 04:50 PM
grade and two in the airforce. None of them "took" so I must have a natural immunity to smallpox. The only shot I will not take is a flu shot. Get everytime I get the shot....chris3

MitchSchaft
February 5, 2003, 04:55 PM
The Government isn't planning to force it on civilians, are they?

No. Over here, the healthcare workers are getting it first on a voluntary basis. That started last week I believe. The rest of us can get it when they have enough to give out. All on a voluntary basis. I'm not sure if I want to get it just because I haven't heard of anybody contracting it yet. I won't have a problem with it, though. I don't know if I've ever had it. Unless they gave it to me in bootcamp a couple years ago. They gave us a bunch of shots that I had no idea what they were.

Chipperman
February 5, 2003, 04:55 PM
My Mom elected not to have me get it as a kid. Most of my classmates did have it. They are mostly still alive (at least 80%). It would not matter anyway, b/c they would all need it again at this point.

They will not force the Civvies to get it. You are more likely to have a reaction if you have Eczema, which is a very common skin condition.

PATH
February 5, 2003, 05:00 PM
Git the first shot and the booster when I was a wee tiny fella back in the early sixties. Stinkyshoe, you have not had any sort of Smallpox innoculation as the disease was considered conquered a few years before you were born.

If I were you I would get the shot. You have no immunity to the disease and the odds of you dying are fairly high. As for the previously immunized, your mortality rates would be lower than the un-immunized.

If the government is giving out the shots then get one. I will be getting a booster if available. Better safe than sorry!

BenW
February 5, 2003, 05:00 PM
Of course, why wouldn't I? My last one already wore off. Other than the preoccupation with buying more firearms than I have room for in my safes, I had no ill effects from it.

bogie
February 5, 2003, 05:34 PM
Again, if you've had it before, it's probably worn off. You'll need to get stuck again.

Frankly, the illness is so horrible that I'd wonder why anyone wouldn't want to be vaccinated. It is not as horrific as Ebola, but since it is slower-acting, it has potential to spread a lot further. Ebola burns through a population pretty rapidly, but it doesn't spread well. The old (read: pre-industrial revolution) criteria for a civilized area being able to "support" smallpox for an epidemic are that they need at least 200,000 people living within two weeks travel for an epidemic to be possible. Well, guess what - We're generally less than two DAYS away from virtually any place on the globe.

Watch-Six
February 5, 2003, 05:57 PM
My age is going to show again. I got it in grade school as a kid. Everybody did. Nobody died or even got sick. We had boosters given, but they never took on me. I still have a bit of a scar on my arm. 80% casualties? What a crock! I would not hesitate to get it again. Watch-Six

Selfdfenz
February 5, 2003, 06:03 PM
Lets see......got it the first time about 45 years ago.
It was manditory for school kiddies back then and no-one throught twice about it.

Will take it again.

Sadly only those that got it back in the day will be able to take the shots now and survive. All the newbies will unfortunatly be killed. Mostly due to their heads swelling and the collendars cut off the blood supply and well.....its not a pretty picture.

S-

Stinger
February 5, 2003, 06:11 PM
The earliest example I can think of a biological weapon being used was the Mongols. They would catapult people with the plague and such over walls of fortifications. They have been around for some time.

When Spain found out they were spreading diseases throughout the New World, they didn't stop. Instead they used it to their advantage and dominated the New World.

They have been around for a long time, they will never go away. If the vaccine is available, why not?

But why in the HE double hockey sticks would the government kill 200,000+ people? That is without question the most ignorant statement I have ever heard in my life :cuss: :banghead:

Stinger

NewShooter78
February 5, 2003, 06:31 PM
I'd get it. I've never had it, so I wouldn't mind getting it now. Both my folks got it when they were kids, nothing ever happened to them, so I'm not affraid of it.

Blain
February 5, 2003, 06:39 PM
Yes...go ahead and take your chips. Remember, big brother loves you.

Mike Irwin
February 5, 2003, 09:13 PM
"Yes...go ahead and take your chips. Remember, big brother loves you."

You DO realize, don't you, that the Gov't is years past having to inject tracking chips, don't you?

They're tagged to the fluoride in our water, in the USDA stamps on our meat, in the gasoline we put in our cars, and in every pair of shoes sold in this country.

Big Brother Conspiracy Theorists are REALLY unimaginative.

No...

Limited.

:rolleyes:

Med 10
February 5, 2003, 09:38 PM
I'm a paramedic in Atl. Ga. and yes i would take the shots. Little pricks actually. My beef is that they are moving so slow with the vaccines it will probably be next year before we recieve any.

Navy joe
February 5, 2003, 09:49 PM
Personally I can't wait, one less bug to kill me. Someone said the vaccine introduces smallpox into the body, not quite so. The vaccine is actually vaccina or cowpox. Of the soldiers that have already been innoculated one has developed generalized vaccina, another got flu-like symptoms that were undetermined as to cause. The one with cowpox all over his body probably got that way by being a retard and scratching the injection site.

IT's SAFE :cuss: Some folks need to check, I think they screwed up and put the shiny side in and now the stupid waves can't escape. Why do some think that every vaccine is an evil plot?

Sven
February 5, 2003, 09:56 PM
Closed.

Posts must be related to firearms.

If you enjoyed reading about "Will you take the small pox shot?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!