Knob Creek in about 2 months...

PDA

bogie
February 5, 2003, 03:48 PM
Having one of those days at work - Who else is going?

Gonna cook breakfast on Sunday - this time it's gonna be sausage, scrambled eggs with cheese and peppers, and bacon.

If you enjoyed reading about "Knob Creek in about 2 months..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Logistar
February 5, 2003, 03:58 PM
Hey, I missed it last time due to an injured foot. :banghead: I will be there this spring unless something else goes wrong. :rolleyes: -NEVER been to the machine gun shoot despite living fairly close to the range.

(I have shot there a few times though!)

Any plans for members of THR to meet up?

Logistar

bogie
February 5, 2003, 04:29 PM
I plan to camp at the same location - the "range end" of the campground.

I'll be putting up the large tent again.

No Tammy - splitsville

Probably will have Kay along - No Clay. Maybe a few other folks too...

Greg L
February 5, 2003, 04:38 PM
I would hate to jinx it again by saying that I was coming. I had plans on being there in the fall but a 3am trip to the ER the night before put a damper on those plans.

Do you know what weekend it is offhand? If I'm in town and uninjured :rolleyes: I want to make the trip southwest.

Greg

yesterdaysyouth
February 5, 2003, 04:47 PM
when and where???

i'd feel kinda funny to actually shoot with other people around :uhoh:

check this out, but i'm sure you already have...
www.kc3.com
you'll find some fimiliar pics there...

garrettwc
February 5, 2003, 05:05 PM
Ditto on the day at work.

I'll be there some of the days. I may even talk myself into camping between now and then.

Definitely have to do a THR roundup when we all get there. Bogie's easy to spot. He's the big guy in the bright yellow shirt that says "Bogie" on it. You can't miss him.:D

critter
February 5, 2003, 05:12 PM
I have never been to Knob Creek and would like to go. Are there motels nearby? Can you get rooms without reservations long ahead of time? If you drive in (from motel or elsewhere) is there ample parking? Is it a fun trip even if you do not participate in matches, etc? What kind of other attractions-displays? Guns for sale? Food vendors? etc. Thanks for any info.

bogie
February 5, 2003, 05:27 PM
Critter, if you're just staying for a night, plan on camping. Bring an air mattress (or more, if you've got more people), a lawn chair each, and whatever bedding you need. Whatever food and drink you wanna mess with. We'll have tents for you (the kind with floors...), at least four burners of propane for cooking, a charcoal grill or two, etc...

No showers, but it ain't bad for just one night.

Driving in can be a hassle, since the parking lot is a fair distance, and if it rains, it turns into a swamp.

Please RSVP if you're planning on coming and need camping support.

Intune
February 5, 2003, 05:42 PM
Same Bat time, same Bat channel! My virgin plunge into Knob Creek last Fall was, well, a blast! My kids still talk about shooting the MP5 and the awesome nighttime shoots. It was great to meet a bunch of TFL'ers and we really enjoyed walking around the numerous tables of weapons & gear. Does it sound like we enjoyed it? You bet! We'll be there.

mpthole
February 5, 2003, 05:55 PM
I would really like to go again and actually be able to meet up with you guys this time. This past fall the guy I brought along was kind of a 'dud' and didn't want to "socialize" with anyone he didn't know. :rolleyes: So, if I can make it this spring I'll hopefully be with some more fun people... or maybe I should just make the trip on my own and hang out with you folks. :)

critter
February 5, 2003, 06:27 PM
Bogie, thanks for the info and the invite. I'll let you know later if I can make it (I will be alone). Sounds like a lot of fun. I'd sure like to shoot a Thompson and a BAR!

garrettwc
February 5, 2003, 06:42 PM
Is it a fun trip even if you do not participate in matches, etc? What kind of other attractions-displays? Guns for sale? Food vendors? etc. Thanks for any info.

Well let's see...

On the grounds you have a guns, gear, and knife show where you can buy anything you ever imagined. From BDUs to Busse Knives. Class III stuff etc. You can rent guns yourself to try out. Intune shot the MP5 in the fall, I shot an HK G3 battle rifle (7.62 on full auto yeehaw!).

You can take a ride in a Hughes helicopter and buzz the tree line.

Then there is the night shoot:rolleyes:
They drag all these old cars and refrigerators, etc out onto the range and place barrels of diesel full inside them. On command the line "lights 'em up" !

Off the grounds...
Knob Creek is located just southwest of Louisville, KY. Food wise you can find anything from road side grease to 4-star stuff in town. You have the KY Derby museum, Caesar's gambling boat, further down I-65 in Bardstown you have the distilleries that are the home to Jim Beam and several other fine brands of bourbon.
If you go the other direction to Ft. Knox then you have the General Patton museum, and the U.S. Cavalry catalog is HQ'd a little further down the road and has a retail store.

critter
February 5, 2003, 06:57 PM
DANG! You guys are twisting my leg! Sure sounds like fun. What about CCW there? I have a FL permit which (I understand) has reciprocity with KY. Not that I feel the 'need' to carry there, but I SURE DO hate to have to leave my carry piece in the truck while I am away cause it is too easy for somebody to 'grow attached to' if you know what I mean.

yesterdaysyouth
February 5, 2003, 08:26 PM
http://www.machinegunshoot.com/schedule.htm

looks like the 2nd weekend in april...

garrettwc
February 5, 2003, 10:02 PM
Critter, you are correct on reciprocity with your Florida permit.

See the KC3 website (http://kc3.org/default.htm) for everything you ever wanted to know about CCW in the Bluegrass state.

Off the grounds you are cool. On the grounds is pretty much like any other gun show, they stamp your hand and zip tie your gun.

Logistar
February 5, 2003, 10:08 PM
No problem, Critter! Kentucky is a very gun-friendly state. We honor your CCW permit (as long as you are 21 years of age). You can check www.packing.org (http://www.packing.org) but I don't think you will have any problem.

(It is legal even for a non-CCW to carry a loaded handgun in the glove compartment!)

Logistar

critter
February 6, 2003, 08:36 AM
Thanks for all the info guys. Still 'contemplating' and seeing if I can work out the logistics.

Betty
February 6, 2003, 10:03 AM
Oleg and I hope to go. I hope to generate some more interest with some relatives & other friends, so maye I'll bring a small army with me! :p

fal308
February 6, 2003, 10:07 AM
I've been going for Saturday for years. It's everything everyone else told you above. The only thing I'd add is bring wet weather gear. It usually seems to rain.

bogie
February 6, 2003, 11:31 AM
Yeah, ponchos are good, but the surplus guys generally have enough.

Wear good boots for walking in the mud, in the event it rains - the 4-wheelers, etc., tend to get things muddy...

I've got a 14x20 canopy tent (with sides if it is REALLY nasty, a coupla folding tables, etc., and can set up to be almost as comfy as home... I'll be snoozin' in the van, but I've got about 3-4 tents of varying sizes that can be used by folks.

Owen
February 6, 2003, 10:27 PM
Hmmm, about a 9 hour drive from Cola, SC. Anyone else from the Columbia, SC area going?

This will require some consideration

CRUSHER
February 6, 2003, 10:54 PM
bogie
I plan on being there and staying till sunday, just had a few hours to look around last year
I met you and a few others last year( I was the guy bigger than you lol)
Let me know what you have in mind as to a meeting place and time

bogie
February 7, 2003, 11:00 AM
Crusher, you gotta camp. It's the only way. The truth and the light, and all that crap. Trust us. We're professionals, from the home office, and we're here to help you.

I've decided to putt down Thursday night, set up on Friday morning. On Sunday, instead of doin' the range/gun show, I'm gonna strip all the crap outta the van, and load as many folks as wanna fit in to run up to the Patton Museum.

Since it is on-post at Ft. Knox, it will be a NO FIREARMS/WEAPONRY excursion, unless you really like having Berettas screwed into your ears while you get a cavity search.

CRUSHER
February 20, 2003, 11:30 PM
Sounds like a plan
Drop me a email closer to time and Ill let you know for sure when Ill be there

22x9
February 21, 2003, 04:22 PM
OK when is the event?

The wife & I will be heading down that way in April, just wondering if our trip is around the say timeframe. If so, I'll try to find my way there. Just so the THR - Virginia Chapter is represented.

bogie
February 21, 2003, 06:42 PM
www.machinegunshoot.com

2nd weekend in April.

simon
February 21, 2003, 06:56 PM
Well, no promises, but I'll try to show again.Got laid-off from the A/L, so no cheap airfare this time,unless I can talk a friend into it...:D

22x9
February 21, 2003, 10:46 PM
We should be in Berea, KY (which I think is south of Louisville,KY) on April 11th & 12th.

To quote Skunkabilly: "Reehaw!!!"

My wife won't attend with me, but I can convince my brother and his two sons to go with me.

Can I schedule a photo op with Oleg & the THR gang? I'll gladly donate to the THR ammo fund (if such a thing exists), if that'll help my chances of getting a pic.

Intune
February 22, 2003, 09:18 AM
Looks like it is shaping up to be another great time!

bogie
February 22, 2003, 02:22 PM
Berea is just south of Richmond (last time I was there, a bar called Madison Gardens was doing some good steaks - it's just off the main street downtown), and is a good hour and a half to two hours from KCR.

Take I-75 to I-64 to Louisville, then I-65 south to Sheperdsville exit (highway 44 in Bullitt County), then it's about 12-15 miles east.

garrettwc
February 22, 2003, 06:47 PM
Take I-75 to I-64 to Louisville, then I-65 south to Sheperdsville exit (highway 44 in Bullitt County), then it's about 12-15 miles east.

Bogie, those directions will definitely get you there, but to connect I-64 and I-65 that way you would need to go all the way downtown and then all the way back down to Sheperdsville.

Better would be take I-64 to the Gene Snyder Freeway (just inside the Louisville/Jeff Co. line.) You can follow that to I-65 and you will be just a couple of miles north of Sheperdsville. Or, you can follow the Gene Snyder all the way to Dixie Hy and turn left at the bottom of the ramp. Then you are only a couple of miles from the Hwy 44 turnoff by the where the big pink liquor store is.

Logistar
February 23, 2003, 10:05 PM
Take I-75 to I-64 to Louisville, then I-65 south to Sheperdsville exit (highway 44 in Bullitt County), then it's about 12-15 miles east. I think we did this last time, Bogie but I believe that Knob Creek is around 12 miles WEST of I65. When you get off I65 (going southbound) you need to make a RIGHT which will put you onto HWY44 going west. You will go through Shepherdsville (I believe there is only one traffic light - it IS a very small town) and keep going until you see Knob Creek on the left.
If you see the Pink Liquor Store or "dead end" onto a 4-lane highway going north/south (Dixie Highway) you have just passed it up.

I also agree with garrettwc that it might be faster and easier to use the Gene Snyder (I-265) bypass (south or west - whatever it is there at the I64 intersection) and avoid going through downtown Louisville.

- FWIW

Logistar

(Actually I live 15 miles east of Shepherdsville on HWY 44!)

mpthole
February 24, 2003, 09:11 AM
Question for bogie:

If I were to arrive Friday night, do you think there will still be room in the campground?

bogie
February 24, 2003, 10:02 AM
Remind me not to follow my own directions (DOH!).

There'll be room in the campground.

redneck2
February 24, 2003, 05:38 PM
thx for the post

I'm planning on coming down. One of our guys has an 8 man tent.

Looking for suggestions and "do's and don'ts"

appreciate the help. I wanna get a T-shirt. Oughta really PO the "PC" crowd

bogie
February 24, 2003, 06:07 PM
Do's and Don't...

Bring enough food and beverage for you and all your friends.

Bring friends.

Bring everything between warm clothing and shorts or bring money and wear itchy surplus.

Bring a poncho or suitable long-term wear rain gear. If you don't have it, it'll rain. If you do have it, we'll have sun. DO NOT BE THE S.O.B. WHO CAUSES IT TO RAIN FOR EVERYONE ELSE.

Bring comfy waterproof/resistant boots (combat boots are fine). Even if it doesn't rain, there'll be mud. Because there are tracked vehicles.

Bring a vehicle sturdy enough to carry all the surplus ammo you buy back home.

DO NOT BRING FIREWORKS. Nowadays, if you blow stuff up, they will throw your *** outta the campground faster than Hitler went through Paris... They are serious and mean it. Ever since Kenny had his outhouse blown up they've had a really nasty opinion of fireworks.

DO NOT BRING ATTITUDES.

If you carry openly, be prepared to get tied. It is a COLD range, except on the firing line. Those are the same rules I live by on my normal range, and I can deal with it. If you are carrying concealed, nobody should know about it. Do not approach Runt with either a metal detector or a large magnet.

Do not smoke dope in the campground or in the treeline. Some of the security folks are off-duty cops, and they WILL take exception, and we'll have to watch the local po-po show up with their flashing lights and stuff (that happened next door to us a coupla trips ago).

I'll be set up at the range-end of the campground (you'll understand it when you see it) with a big grey canopy tent and a green Chevy 3/4 ton van.

garrettwc
February 24, 2003, 08:23 PM
Bring a vehicle sturdy enough to carry all the surplus ammo you buy back home.

Ignore this one at your own risk. Just ask Oleg :D

Intune
February 24, 2003, 08:50 PM
Did Bogie mention mud? That stuff should have a different name. Children under 4' should carry a flag so we'll know where to excavate. :what: You could not ask for a more polite, well mannered bunch and I'm not just talkin' about the TFL/THR crew (who are the best!) A LOT of people go to this. My wife was amazed and she can be a pretty pointed critic. My kids met a bunch of other kids and had a blast. You gotta try it, you'll come back! Oh, one other item to bring. Those little wet handi-wipes make life a lot easier. Did he mention mud?

RH Factor
February 25, 2003, 10:41 AM
MUDD:what: ....you should see it when the Ohio River gets too high. That whole area that is where most camp is under water.

It's suppose to get up to 50 degrees this sunday so I'm headding out there to punch some holes in milk jugs:evil: Those dangerous milk jugs...they may take over the world....but I'll get them this weekend:D

Hutch
February 25, 2003, 02:38 PM
Not arguin', you'll undertand, but the one time I went (04/01), it was dry as a chip. They had to call cease-fires many times to send out firefighters to put out tracer-induced fires. They eventually banned tracers for the balance of the shoot. Dusty as it was, I can only imagine what kind of gumbo the ground would turn into in a good soaking rain.

Intune
February 25, 2003, 03:23 PM
I think that I would prefer the muck to a cease-fire. Don't stop, don't stop!

bogie
February 25, 2003, 03:39 PM
Heh, heh... Whole dang side of the hill (on the range-side) was on fire...

If you enjoyed reading about "Knob Creek in about 2 months..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!