This instance of modding seems heavy handed.

PDA

conw
April 7, 2014, 01:31 PM
Regarding: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=424701

The mod response in that thread seems heavy handed. Not every board has the same guideline for handling older threads. I mod at a board where the older posts tend to be valuable as a rule and for that reason the policy is the opposite: we encourage reading and usually responding to the older threads on a specific topic.

I'm unsure of when/whether THR officially adopted the policy of encouraging new threads instead of responding to older ones but I guess my main point is ugaarguy's response was heavy handed and it doesn't seem reasonable to expect users to automatically know the policy on this topic. It is far from universal in forumland. He should probably also have linked to the relevant policy page if there is one.

Secondary to that I would point out that perhaps a little leeway in that policy (if it is a policy) could actually benefit the board by keeping topics concise and renewing interest in really good old threads. Not always, just in certain cases.

Most people would probably agree that forums are more about information than specific users. I don't see why a truly excellent thread is no longer relevant just because some posters have stopped visiting the forum.

If you enjoyed reading about "This instance of modding seems heavy handed." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bikerdoc
April 7, 2014, 02:49 PM
I agree with the closing, the reason, and the suggestion to start a new thread, with possibly a link to the old one.

I would also reiterate that such questions are better addressed by PM to the mod involved.

Sam1911
April 7, 2014, 04:45 PM
The appropriate thing to do in these situations is to take the matter up with the Staff member who made that action, by Private Message. If you like, you can copy that message to several other Staffer's who's perspective you appreciate. That way you don't come off as "calling out" someone for their actions, especially considering there may be other factors (additional posts) not visible to you which informed that action.

We actually do have leeway in this, and there is a warning that appears at the bottom of any long-dormant thread to the effect of, "This is an old one...do you have a really good reason for bringing it up again?"

The re-opening post in this case was frivolous, oddly contentious, and added nothing at all to the discussion (long dead) nor the information contained in the thread.

But if you want to discuss it further, ugaarguy is very easy to reach via PM.

If you enjoyed reading about "This instance of modding seems heavy handed." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!