Recall: Remington 700 & Model 7

PDA

v8stang289
April 11, 2014, 08:42 PM
JUst saw this on Remingtons Facebook page, looks like they are recalling all the xmark pro triggers in the 700 and 7 rifles, due to the possibility of excess "bonding agent" that could cause an unintentional discharge.

http://xmprecall.remington.com/pdfs/xmprecall-notice.pdf

http://xmprecall.remington.com/

If you enjoyed reading about "Recall: Remington 700 & Model 7" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
M1key
April 11, 2014, 09:12 PM
Awww say it ain't so...:mad:

My 700 Tactical gets the recall.

M

Mohave-Tec
April 11, 2014, 10:10 PM
Does anybody know where this "excess bonding agent" is supposed to be in the trigger?

dvdcrr
April 11, 2014, 10:15 PM
Bonding agent in triggers is used to secure set-screws for the sear engagement, overtravel. The excess is probably interfering with reset or sear engagement.

umc180gr
April 11, 2014, 10:23 PM
That has got to be a LOT of rifles.

v8stang289
April 11, 2014, 10:39 PM
Mine too, M1key. I'm thinking about just buying a Timney and not worrying with the hassle of sending it back. Especially since I have a modified bolt handle and different stock.

Mohave-Tec
April 11, 2014, 10:44 PM
dvdcrr
Then this will be easy to find and remedy I'm guessing.

OneWound
April 11, 2014, 11:24 PM
Is the Ruger GSR considered an m77? If I remember correctly, they are very very similar. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

jmr40
April 11, 2014, 11:39 PM
Your Ruger is a Ruger. It is Remington's being recalled. The Ruger trigger is polar opposite of a Remington trigger.

OneWound
April 11, 2014, 11:46 PM
There's my derp moment for the day...sorry!

Bexar
April 12, 2014, 12:29 AM
http://xmprecall.remington.com/

Jorg Nysgerrig
April 12, 2014, 02:18 AM
Information that might make the link useful:

Remington Arms Company, LLC (“Remington”) is voluntarily recalling Remington Model 700™ and Model Seven™ rifles which were manufactured from May 1, 2006 through April 9, 2014 and which have an X-Mark Pro (“XMP”) trigger. All product manufactured after April 9, 2014 is not subject to recall.

barnbwt
April 12, 2014, 02:58 AM
8 years... :scrutiny:

TCB

MAKster
April 12, 2014, 09:41 AM
And the X mark pro trigger was designed to fix the problem with the 700 potentially discharging without the trigger being pulled. So now they have to recall the "fix" for the same problem.

W L Johnson
April 12, 2014, 10:48 AM
DOH!

Ky Larry
April 12, 2014, 10:55 AM
If they have lost the ability to make rimfire ammo, I doubt they can design and build a new trigger.:neener:

Yo Mama
April 12, 2014, 11:15 AM
Any advise on shipping with or without scope? I have it dialed in perfectly of course, and now this will be a hassle.

Edit: Man this sucks! I have this thing dead on. I worked hard with the rings not holding, moving to steel rings, sighting in during multiple trips to the range, and spending money on ammo. What are the chances that Remington will chip in for a box? None I'm sure.

Also, what a punk move, putting this out on a Friday knowing no one can contact them by phone. Like something the feds would do.

MikeJackmin
April 12, 2014, 12:13 PM
Details here:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/04/11/huge-recall-remington-700-model/

nathan
April 12, 2014, 01:59 PM
Mine is made in 1994 time frame. Its a very accurate rifle with handloads.

afsenior
April 12, 2014, 07:39 PM
I just checked mine and it IS subject to recall. Remington sent me a confirmation email and will send me shipping instructions, box and I assume prepaid labels.:cuss:

EchoM70
April 12, 2014, 08:03 PM
Good thing all my Remington's have a Timney replacement. Hah!

primalmu
April 12, 2014, 08:09 PM
I'll just be upgrading to a Timney once I have the cash.

zonzin
April 12, 2014, 08:35 PM
Replace the stock one with a Timney a couple of years ago. What a difference.

Peter M. Eick
April 12, 2014, 08:55 PM
Last one I bought was 2001. Last new Remington 700 that is. It is interesting to compare older, 70's, 60's etc vintage 700's to 2000's. Older seems nicer in general.

sig228
April 12, 2014, 09:28 PM
Wow, I just sold one. Sucks for the poor guy who bought mine.

CaptHank
April 12, 2014, 09:52 PM
Well, mine is on the list. I just changed out the stock to a Choate Ultimate Varmint. What a bummer......:fire:

scottishkat
April 12, 2014, 09:53 PM
I have 2 to return what a PITA. They both shoot going to have to take the optics off. I imagine they will send us boxes and shipping lables. I went through this with a TC Icon. I will never buy another one of them.

It will be interesting to see what will happen to their value. The xmark pro trigger is pretty nice. I often wonder how much of this is yankees creating work for themselves.

Honestly Massachusetts, New York, Connecticut and California make more guns than about all other states combined I would imagine. They have some of the worst gun reg's. I'm getting to the point where I don't want to buy one from any of them anymore just encourages them.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

Bexar
April 12, 2014, 09:53 PM
Timneys rock!

Bexar
April 12, 2014, 09:56 PM
It will be interesting to see if Cerberus doesn't replace the trigger with a Timney knock off.

zerobarrier
April 12, 2014, 10:37 PM
I just bought one, that sucks. I think I may just replace the trigger with a timney or jewelled. I assume that will fix the problem and I won't have to wait weeks for Rem to send it back. If replacing the trigger fixes the problem I think I would rather spend $100 on a timney installed then send it back.

ugaarguy
April 12, 2014, 11:42 PM
I've stickied this one for a while so hopefully more folks will see it, and edited the title for clarity. Here's the link directly to Remington: http://xmprecall.remington.com/

scottishkat
April 13, 2014, 08:45 PM
I put a Timney in a 700 made prior to the xmark it is very good I also added 1 to a ruger 77 tang safety it is real good to.

jgh4445
April 13, 2014, 08:59 PM
One of mine is and one isn't. The one that is had a Timney installed last year. The one that isn't soon will have anyway.

joed
April 14, 2014, 12:53 PM
Well, I threw mine away 3 years ago. It was a crisp trigger but there was so much epoxy on it that I didn't think anything could be done with it. When I couldn't adjust it under 5 lb I replaced it with a Timney.

CaptHank
April 14, 2014, 06:13 PM
I was emailed a UPS shipping label and instructions today. Now, waiting on the box for shipping. They said, 2-3 week turn around.

holdencm9
April 14, 2014, 09:42 PM
Mine is subject to the recall as well. However, I have been contemplating an upgrade to a Timney, for a long long time. If you were in the same boat would you even bother with the recall and all that hassle or just expedite the upgrade? On the one hand I guess you'd be able to keep the factory trigger rather than toss it as potentially dangerous. I wish I could just send in the trigger and not the whole rifle. :cuss:

GLShooter
April 14, 2014, 11:37 PM
Not all are being recalled. They have a seaech feature set up to identify the ones they want to work on. I checked two of the four I bought during that time. One was GTG and the other was a recall. I will probably put a few of the old style triggers on them and call it good.

Greg

climbnjump
April 15, 2014, 12:20 AM
There is a Remington service center about an hour from where I live. Since I know they do Remington warranty work, I gave them a call this morning to ask if they could perform this recall work and they said yes. So, later in the day I drove over there and was then informed that no, they couldn't do the work. All guns have to be shipped back to Remington. They weren't real happy about that themselves as they had about 40 rifles that they were removing from the racks to send back.

But the drive wasn't a total waste as I scored some powder and ran into a couple of old friends and shot the breeze with them for a while.

But, I doubt I'm going to send anything back to Remington for repair at this point. I had one XMP trigger fail in the past out of warranty and I replaced that with a Timney, so I'll do that on the other and be done with it.

2ndtimer
April 15, 2014, 01:06 AM
Glad I installed a Timney in my 700 SPS Varmint a few years back. I tried to have a gunsmith tune up the X-Mark, and he said it was the worst trigger he had ever tried to tune. Said the only way to a decent pull out of it was to replace it. Never regretted it.

Another_Kelley
April 15, 2014, 03:47 AM
That has got to be a LOT of rifles.

I don't think the gravity of the situation has sat in quite yet for everyone...those dates they list span 8 years :uhoh: it's a chit-storm of epic proportions - I just checked my serials, and I have 3 rifles affected out of the 4 I own. Ohhhh, to be Timney right now...

herkyguy
April 15, 2014, 06:57 AM
I don't think I'll be sending mine in any time soon. Mine is dialed in to sub MOA. I don't hunt with it, just target shooting. I want more details first.

I sent in my XDs right away, but that was different since I carry it.

Either way I'm disappointed.

Tony50ae
April 15, 2014, 11:50 AM
Well my 700 lv sf is on the recall list :fire: I may wait awhile before I send it in. It rarely gets shot and its more of a paper puncher anyways. Not like it gets carried in the field. Figure if I wait to send it in, say six to nine months, hopefully it won't be a long wait to get it back.

Sheepdog1968
April 16, 2014, 03:03 AM
There's a reason I follow Cooper's four safety rules. When hunting I really hone in on the never point it at anything your not willing to destroy.

x1wildone
April 17, 2014, 10:39 AM
There's a reason I follow Cooper's four safety rules. When hunting I really hone in on the never point it at anything your not willing to destroy.
My wife and I both wish that the boy that shot her would have followed these rules. Also we would have been happy if Remington would have produced a trigger that was not defective.
If either part of the equation had not existed,our lives could have been very different.

ewlyon
April 18, 2014, 01:37 AM
According to the Remington site the problem with the trigger is not mechanical. Apparently too much epoxy or something. The site says there are going to clean the trigger mechanism to fix it. So if you like the trigger mechanism then nothings gonna change.

I just checked and they are sending boxes and paid labels for shipping so it wont cost anything.

DougW
April 18, 2014, 10:53 AM
As long as the rifles don't get damaged in shipping. I don't understand why I can't just return the trigger group for repair. Probably will change it out for a Timney and not jack with the return.

bldsmith
April 18, 2014, 11:34 PM
Have 2 that are affected. Hope they don't mess them up in shipping either.

SleazyRider
April 18, 2014, 11:46 PM
Just sent mine in, a .243 ADL, with a prepaid shipping label and box.

To sweeten the pot they gave me a code to get 40% off on their accessories and clothing website, which means I can buy one of their 42 dollar tee shirts for only 25 bucks---plus shipping. :mad: Heck, at least Ruger gave me a free hat when they recalled the LCP.

Cocked & Locked
April 20, 2014, 08:34 AM
MY model 7 .308 is recalled as well. My other ones are pre-2006. Strange thing is on one day I entered the 7's serial number on the recall site and it was not recalled. Entered three times during the day...not recalled.

Two days later I entered the number again and it was recalled. :scrutiny:

driftpin
April 20, 2014, 04:29 PM
WOW, I just checked and I have 3 that were recalled. I think I may just buy the timneys. I wonder if they would thread the barrels while they had them.

Totally blows. I hate having to re-sight in 3 freaking rifles. I was just going to sell one to my buddy too. :banghead::cuss:

driftpin
April 20, 2014, 04:30 PM
When did they recall the LCP?

SleazyRider
April 20, 2014, 08:54 PM
When did they recall the LCP?
I'm thinkin' it was about 2 or 3 years ago.

Rudedog
April 20, 2014, 10:40 PM
Having worked on Remington 700 triggers both the old model and the X Mark, I will say the old model was better. X Mark is not an improvement. Dirt, oil and grime affect both.

cowpoke
April 23, 2014, 09:44 PM
Got one in 243 an yea it sucks. Hope they dont mess it up. Its a real shooter.

B!ngo
April 25, 2014, 01:05 AM
So I just (like earlier in the week) purchased a lightly used Rem 700 CDL and it wasn't but hours later that I heard about the recall. As I looked in to it I realized that Rem has gotten themselves in to a mess. It will be a ton of work to open up every recalled rifle, remove the trigger assembly, hand-test it to see if it is problematic and, if it is, hand clean the assembly to preclude it from misfiring.
With the tens of thousands (presumably) of rifles to be returned, it will take forever. So, not wanting to risk losing the gun for a long time and/or having it damaged cosmetically or mechanically (or both) I went out and purchased a Jewell trigger for the new gun.
I did register for the recall and plan to try to send them just the trigger and hope that they will review it. Since they have not offered an email address for inquiries, I don't know if they'll accept it but the CDL is likely a collectible with a beautiful wood stock and they are not getting it back during this mess.
B

TheSwede
April 25, 2014, 08:55 AM
There is nothing wrong with the old trigger. I've seen discharges when moving safety, slam fires on winchester m70, tikka t3, mauser 98, sako l61r. Its all about maintenance.

Remington was a riflemaker back in the days.

Now its just a business making cheap low quality products, a company owned by greedy owners who doesnt care about gun quality, craftsmanship, passion.

sansone
April 25, 2014, 09:20 AM
I would not send in the rifle..
remove the trigger group, inspect, clean, whatever it needs just do it..
thread locker is easy to see, easy to remove with acetone.

I say Remy has at least one lawyer demanding this tremendous recall, probably overkill

Mohave-Tec
April 25, 2014, 09:26 PM
I'm just looking for where the problem is supposed to be (youtube video maybe) then I'll fix it myself.

Doc68
April 28, 2014, 06:15 PM
Just replace the trigger on your own. It's going to be at least a 6 month wait. Make sure to take your scopes and other accessories off before you ship them back.

M1key
May 1, 2014, 07:57 PM
I'm waiting for the run to begin on aftermarket triggers.

M

lesptr
May 2, 2014, 10:49 AM
I just did a search on brownells and midway, and the Timney triggers are out of stock. What are other brands to look for? (Mine are uses for deer hunting and paper punching)

I submitted the serial numbers for my 700's on the 18th and received the shipping labels by email last night. I don't think I want to send them in if it takes nearly 2 weeks for shipping labels. How long will take to "repair" and return?

GLShooter
May 2, 2014, 10:59 AM
Shilen for bigger $$'s or the Rifle Basix for quaility at a good price.

Greg

Mohave-Tec
May 2, 2014, 09:40 PM
Jewell. $300

B!ngo
May 4, 2014, 03:42 PM
As I noted, that's why I bought one (Jewell). I can't believe that they can turn these 'repairs' efficiently, that they will do so without risking damage to the finish and/or operation of the rifle, and that they will necessarily stay in business long enough to finish the process.
Is it only me or does it seem, particularly with a financially aggressive investor, that Rem is on the precipice of folding? Coping with the R handgun failure to launch, and now the huge trigger recall would place a financial burden on a successful company no less one that just seems to be bumping along the bottom for years.
I wonder if there is a Ch11 or a fire sale coming... Sure hope not.
B

CaptHank
May 4, 2014, 03:53 PM
It was a Real Pain to remove everything to send mine back. I received an email, this week, saying they had it in the shop. Now, let's see how long it will take for the return.

I'm not looking forward to reinstalling the Choate stock, base, rings and scope. I just had things dialed in.

krimmie
May 4, 2014, 07:01 PM
My ADL is on the recall list...geez, wish they had a timney trigger on the Remington Country site.

Cocked & Locked
May 4, 2014, 10:02 PM
As posted earlier in this thread my model 7 is recalled. I received the UPS shipping label early last week via email...have not received the shipping box yet.

I've not been able to find an aftermarket trigger that will work in my model 7. Some ads state they will work, claiming the 700 trigger will fit the 7's. Dig deeper into Google and folks that have tried say they won't work.

On An Island
May 6, 2014, 03:59 PM
My 700 VLS is recalled. I think I'm just going to get a Timney and be done with it.

Cocked & Locked
May 6, 2014, 04:05 PM
Got another email from Remington today. This one stated that UPS would deliver my return box and other info Thursday.

Cocked & Locked
May 8, 2014, 11:04 PM
UPS delivered empty boxes from Remington for sending in my recalled rifle. I've got one recalled rifle but received two boxes.

Here's what one looks like. I can't get excited about returning a nice wood stocked hard to find .308 Model 7 CDL in a flimsy damaged box. Bent, hole, broken styrofoam. Not a confidence builder. :banghead:

The second box had no damage. Wonder what would happen while in transit to Remington. :what:

39" rifle in a one-size-fits-all 49" box....hmmm :scrutiny:

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2169/3082611/6675271/409384705.jpg

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2169/3082611/6675271/409384706.jpg

Mohave-Tec
May 8, 2014, 11:13 PM
There is no way I'm sending my rifle to them. Sooner or later the world is going to know what the fix is and I'll fix it myself. Remington has asked the world to send them half the rifles they've built in the last 8 years all at once. I'll bet my bottom dollar they couldn't warehouse them if half the folks complied.

Pointshoot
May 12, 2014, 06:46 PM
Dodged the bullet on both of my rifles, thankfully.

One still needs to get a Timney, but this Remington screw up means they are sold out (at least where I looked). I kick myself for not having a crystal ball and doing the replacement earlier. But, it would be a lot worse if they were on the recall list so I'll count my blessings. The factory trigger on my one 700 really isn't that bad as it is.

Jcinnb
May 16, 2014, 11:34 PM
I can't speak for anyone, financially, but I would never even consider sending one back. Buy a better trigger and install it. I have installed three, all work much better than original, and I am a freakin jackleg. Remington has a mess on its hands. Opt out. Good luck.

SleazyRider
May 17, 2014, 10:44 AM
I can't speak for anyone, financially, but I would never even consider sending one back. Buy a better trigger and install it. I have installed three, all work much better than original, and I am a freakin jackleg. Remington has a mess on its hands. Opt out. Good luck.
You may be onto something (though I hope you're wrong!). They've had mine for a few weeks now, and when I checked on its status using my work order number and serial number, all it says is "Firearm/part has been received and logged in." But after burning up a lot of cash on home heating oil this winter past, the Timney simply wasn't an option.

So long as I have it in time for deer season in 6 months, I'll be happy!

USSR
May 22, 2014, 06:54 PM
Keep it up, and they're gonna have a bad reputation.;)

Don

Cocked & Locked
May 23, 2014, 08:15 AM
I gave up on finding a replacement trigger that would work on a newer Model 7 CDL . I sent it in for the recall a couple of days ago...Wednesday the 21'st. I used the undamaged box mentioned in an earlier post.

I removed the wood stock, scope & rings as a unit, bottom metal, and front sight hood. I left the scope bases on the rifle. I wrapped the barreled action in bubble wrap and packed it up.

I called UPS and scheduled a pick up at home. I wasn't here when the UPS guy arrived but my wife was.

She said while walking to his truck he dropped the box on the concrete driveway. :banghead:

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2169/3082611/8553770/404664405.jpg

bob4
May 24, 2014, 09:09 PM
Well, I think most of you and a buddy of mine have talked me into Timney or Jewell if I can find one.

Daemion
May 25, 2014, 11:28 AM
I must admit, i have had no issues so far with my factory trigger on my remington 700 sps, though to be honest, it could be a bit more sensitive as it is currently set at 7 lbs (that's how it was when i got it from the dealer) and i would like to have it nearer to 3 lbs

Cocked & Locked
June 3, 2014, 01:50 PM
My Model 7 was received and logged into Remington's repair center on 6-1-14. Now I'll play the waiting game. :scrutiny:

CaptHank
June 3, 2014, 10:04 PM
Mine was logged in on May 2, still waiting for an email with the return tracking number.

texgunner
June 5, 2014, 03:39 PM
Have 3 that are affected. I'm going the Timney route, never really liked the XMP trigger.

bob4
June 5, 2014, 05:57 PM
Have 3 that are affected. I'm going the Timney route, never really liked the XMP trigger. Placed my order last night. Although the box for shipping made it intact.

Mohave-Tec
June 6, 2014, 01:20 AM
I got 3 letters from Remington today. One for each 700 I've owned though 2 I no longer have. I do have a second XMP trigger though.

corsair_001
June 6, 2014, 03:34 PM
Springfield's XDS recall started out like this one and yes they were overwhelmed. My pistol took 3.5 months to come back home and the trigger is terrible now. AND unfortunately I too have 2 rifles affected by this recall.

CaptHank
June 7, 2014, 06:39 PM
Just got a notice that my rifle was shipped today, will arrive on the 13th. It went away with a 2.5 lb. trigger, curious to see what it will be on its return.

Mohave-Tec
June 7, 2014, 06:42 PM
This is the first turnaround I've heard about. Good for you.

bob4
June 7, 2014, 11:16 PM
Just got a notice that my rifle was shipped today, will arrive on the 13th. It went away with a 2.5 lb. trigger, curious to see what it will be on its return.
When did you ship it out ?

CaptHank
June 8, 2014, 12:24 AM
They received it on May 2nd.

omega5
June 10, 2014, 10:30 AM
Ordered a Timney Trigger for my Remington VTR yesterday.
When I called Remington, was told it would not be back before
deer season and might be back by deer season 2015. Nope, not
for me. I gave up on Remington ammo a few years back and I
won't be buying any Remington products anytime soon after
this. Remington should have taken care of this in 2006. Instead,
they fought it for 8 years and didn't even try to resolve it, selling
millions of rifles that were potentially death traps.
No, I think I've had it with Remington. I love my VTR and I'll
fix it and keep it but I won't be sending it back for them to
"fix" 6 years after it was manufactured. :fire:
Dano

CaptHank
June 13, 2014, 11:48 AM
My 700 was returned today, with the "Trigger Update-XMP". It went out with a 2.5 lb. trigger, came back with a "Return to Factory Specifications". 5 lb. trigger :cuss:.

Now the fun begins, changing out the stock, adding the base and rings, along with the scope. That will be tomorrow's project.

I am glad that it's back.......!!!

Mohave-Tec
June 13, 2014, 09:30 PM
.....and putting it back to a 2.5 pound trigger.

Magnuumpwr
June 15, 2014, 11:10 PM
I have three in the recall slot. Going to go the timney route.

bob4
June 16, 2014, 08:51 AM
Dropped mine at the gun shop Friday with a Timney. They called Saturday and it was ready. To easy.

omega5
June 16, 2014, 04:26 PM
Timney Trigger came today. 20 minutes and it was in mY
VTR. Remounted my scope and out to the range. Forgot
my spotting scope so I only zeroed at 50 yards. To
be honest, wish I'd done this years ago and this won't be
my last Timney, you can bet on that.:)
Below is the target I shot once I'd zeroed.
Dano
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/omega5m14/700VTR001_zpsc451bc37.jpg (http://s5.photobucket.com/user/omega5m14/media/700VTR001_zpsc451bc37.jpg.html)
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/omega5m14/DSCN1067_zps2eeeaffb.jpg (http://s5.photobucket.com/user/omega5m14/media/DSCN1067_zps2eeeaffb.jpg.html)

Cocked & Locked
June 16, 2014, 11:28 PM
nice!

SleazyRider
June 17, 2014, 02:05 PM
Just received notice that my Remington 700 .243 has shipped and should be back in my hands in just a few days.

All total, it took 7 weeks.

SleazyRider
June 17, 2014, 06:47 PM
The Big Brown Truck of Happiness came a bit early this week, dropping off an item that required a signature. I assumed it was my wife's subscription to Kendall/jackson Winery, as they require a signature for alcohol, and she is a connoisseur of fine wines. And I was right, it was wine but also my rifle from Remington. Just think, alcohol and firearms in one fell swoop! :eek:

But I digress. My 700 was in perfect condition, and accompanied by a bonus: 2 free snap caps, .243 calibre; and a handy "10 Commandments of Shooting Safety" card. Does it get any better? :rolleyes:

Seriously, though, the repair document read "A023--REPLACED FIRE CONTROL WITH UPDATED XMP FIRE CONTROL," so my ADL now has an externally adjustable trigger. It's pull is a crisp 3 1/2 pounds.

It took about seven weeks. I'm happy.

gibble888
June 21, 2014, 08:24 PM
Yet another bad trigger from remington?.....I would like to think with all we as a species have learned over thousands and millions of years to learn from our mistakes......but not remington!!

jlr1962
June 29, 2014, 09:40 PM
What is a reasonable price for a Timney trigger from a gun shop? I would rather not buy one over the internet.

omega5
June 29, 2014, 10:03 PM
Not sure what one would cost at a gun shop. Nearest to me is nearly 70
miles away. Get buy there maybe once every five years. Got mine from
Timney online for $134. Didn't take 15 to 20 minutes to install. Like it
so well I plan on getting one for my Mini 14 and AR.
Dano

bob4
June 30, 2014, 07:29 PM
I paid the same over the internet from Timney. ($134.) I love having things delivered to my door. Taking some getting used to the trigger itself, but I'm liking it. Had it set to 3.5 lbs. out of the stock. Haven't put my gauge on it yet as I have loaned it out.

cowpoke
July 9, 2014, 07:14 PM
Got mine back today, 7 weeks and 4 days . Havent shot it yet but the trigger pull seems the same. :)

scottishkat
July 13, 2014, 05:10 PM
I got my 2 rifles back total of about 6 weeks returned in good shape. I had adjusted the CDL they sent back a letter returned to factory spec's. Of course heavier than I had it set. I was looking at the trigger and it does not adjust like the xmark pro with the adjustment screw in the trigger guard. It looks to me like they changed the trigger at the factory.

Probably better off with the Timney. They're easy to replace I replaced one in an earlier 700 not subject to recall that had like 3 stages of creep. If the XMARK trigger was crap I probably would have replaced it.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

On An Island
July 21, 2014, 11:52 AM
Same for me: $134.99 from Timney direct. It's on my VLS but haven't had the opportunity to try it yet other than a few dry fires (yes, with snap caps) - it felt nice at 3.5 lbs.

krimmie
August 4, 2014, 11:51 AM
Today marks 8 weeks since Remington received my gun...hopefully getting it back soon.

Cocked & Locked
August 4, 2014, 12:18 PM
My Model Seven was received by Remington on June 1st.

As of August 1st the status on their site shows ..."Repairman is in the process of servicing the firearm/part."

Cocked & Locked
August 7, 2014, 11:21 PM
Got it back today. Put the stock and scope back on. Zero it back in tomorrow hopefully. Trigger pull feels great...don't know what pound pull as I've never owned a trigger pull gauge. :scrutiny:

Magnuumpwr
August 9, 2014, 07:11 PM
After reading about the recall on here and confirming thru Remington that all 3 of my rifles were defective, I opted for timney. Received all three and have installed 2 of the 3 but test fired none yet.

GLShooter
August 10, 2014, 12:22 AM
I'd be ordering up a trigger on that rig before I started considering sending it in. Rule of thumb on factory returns is send nothing on the firearm that you have added to it as you probably won't see it when it returns even if the addition has nothing to do with the problems being addressed.

Greg

bob4
August 10, 2014, 07:26 AM
This stinks.

I was thinking about a Timney, but it seems a little overkill for a 16" subsonic setup. A pie plate at 300yds is all I expect.
If you can be without the rifle for a minimum of 8 weeks send it in. I did a Timney and am very happy with it. Was without my rifle 2 days. Next time I'll do it myself.
Rule of thumb on factory returns is send nothing on the firearm that you have added to it as you probably won't see it when it returns even if the addition has nothing to do with the problems being addressed. +1

cbob1911
August 10, 2014, 10:08 AM
i wish they would allow just the trigger to be shipped instead of the entire rifle.

Cocked & Locked
August 10, 2014, 07:46 PM
I removed the scope and Weaver detachable rings as a unit.

Removed the stock and bottom metal (trigger guard & box magazine) and sent only the barreled action with scope bases, bolt and trigger assembly.
I left the rings (Weaver detachable)

Got it back in eight weeks. Put it back together and put the ringed scope back on the rifle. Fired two shot at 100 yards from sandbags. Side-by-side .5" and 1.5" above point of aim. Cleaned it and put it back in the safe.

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2169/3082611/17383006/400977564.jpg

Tasmanian_Welder
August 18, 2014, 11:12 PM
I should have seen this recall coming.

2 years ago I bought a brand new in the box rem 700 chambered in 30-06. I took it to the range and zeroed my scope. After I did that Iloaded 1 round into the gun and cycled the bolt. It discharged without me touching the trigger. It was just my luck the range officer was watching me while it happened. I had it pointed downrange so luckly no one got hurt.

I sent the rifle back to rem and they told me they couldn't duplicate the error but replaced the trigger assymbly as a gesture of good faith.

I've always taken gun safety seriously but now I have a new respect for it.

It works fine now and it shoots great but my next gun probly won't be from them.

AverajeJo
September 5, 2014, 04:33 PM
If you can be without the rifle for a minimum of 8 weeks send it in. I did a Timney and am very happy with it. Was without my rifle 2 days. Next time I'll do it myself.
+1

Sent mine with AAC muzzle brake. Got it back as it was never touched. Paper indicated that it was inspected and the bolt release plate had a mark to indicate that. Perfect gun and my kids love shooting it suppressed. :0)

dblwide
September 6, 2014, 10:35 PM
My son's 700 was received by Remington on 7/14. Hope it comes back in the next week or two.

Legionnaire
September 7, 2014, 09:56 PM
Rats. New Model 7 .260 is under the recall. Should have checked before mounting the scope and putting it in an H.S. Precision stock. Just placed my order for a Timney.

krimmie
September 7, 2014, 10:01 PM
My gun is scheduled to be delivered to me tomorrow...12 weeks total time.

gto.kroh
September 22, 2014, 06:28 PM
Well 3 months later and I still have yet to see my rifle.......wish I would have never sent it in

Doug S
October 4, 2014, 07:03 PM
Just for the record, I sent my 700 back to Remington in mid June. I was told it would take a minimum of 12 weeks. I received my rifle back (without any communication from Remington) on Sept 26. Gun returned in good condition.

davidhan
October 22, 2014, 10:45 PM
Just replace the trigger on your own. It's going to be at least a 6 month wait.
Make sure to take your scopes and other accessories off before you ship them back.

rhinoh
November 3, 2014, 01:07 PM
Hmmm...took a week since I submitted the info to even get an email stating they will send me a box, which they say can take up to another week.
2 Weeks just to get the box to send it to them....not looking good....

gto.kroh
November 4, 2014, 11:35 PM
Got mine back. . Took every bit of 3 months after they received it

leftymachinist
November 10, 2014, 11:16 AM
That's what happens when the byword is quantity over quality. While the upstairs see only high profits 1st. I'm old school and being a machinist by trade and damn proud of it. I'd rather make one great product at a time rather than hundreds of sloppy items. JMHO.

Keeperfaith
November 21, 2014, 07:46 PM
I bought a Rem 700 in .308 from a pawn shop at a good price. I checked the recall status on my seriel number, it was eligible DOHHH.

Contacted Remington, they sent a box via UPS and shipping label. Sent it off (UPS picks it up when you schedule a pickup)...about 30 days later I get my rifle back.

I did take the scope off as per their instructions. Just my experience in case anyone has a used Rem 700 that is recalled...They never asked for proof of purchase or if I bought it brand new, they just fixed it and gave me a coupon for 40% off any item in their on line store...still haven't used that sucker

Steve

BIGGBAY90
November 22, 2014, 11:29 PM
Remington Support
Service Ticket: 000000 - Notification We have received your E-Mail request about "TRIGGER RECALL"

Ticket: 000000 has been created and you should receive an initial response shortly.

Thank you and best regards,
Remington Customer Services
THAT WAS ON 10/12 ................AND STILL HAVE NOT HEARD A WORD FROM THEM....BUT I DO HAVE THE 700 ADL MODEL

If you enjoyed reading about "Recall: Remington 700 & Model 7" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!