Saf-T-Block

PDA

synapse
April 4, 2004, 05:42 PM
I am attracted to Glock pistols (the model 19, in particular), but am not fully comfortable with the lack of safety.

However, I am aware of a product called the Saf-T-Block http://www.clipdraw.com/saftblok.html
that may help with this concern.

Does anyone have experience with this product? As advertised, does it REALLY add ZERO draw/fire time to the weapon? (I do not see how this is possible).

By the way, before anyone asks :) I am attracted to glock pistols due to the rust resitance and light weight but have never owned one (but seriously considering it)

Thanks,
Synapse

If you enjoyed reading about "Saf-T-Block" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Erich
April 4, 2004, 06:00 PM
Yes, I've owned a Saf-T-Block for my Glock 33. It was the only way to carry the gun safely in a fanny pack w/o a holster.

It worked perfectly, and did not add a second to the time it took to fire. I think very highly of the product. About 6 years ago at Glock Talk (the old Glock Talk) there was a lot of chatter about the product. I don't know if it's still archived.

cidirkona
April 4, 2004, 09:05 PM
I think I'll get one when I pick up my Glock 27 on Friday just because it'll be easier to lock it up on the fly, or with a cable to the bottom of my seat in my car...

-Colin

jc2
April 4, 2004, 10:25 PM
You might check out the Cominolli Safety as well.

http://www.cominolli.com/glocksafety.htm

cidirkona
April 5, 2004, 03:27 AM
That one requires modification and doesn't double as a gunlock...

I bet it's not $20 either...

-Colin

jc2
April 5, 2004, 06:40 AM
He was concerned about the lack of a safety on Glocks--not gunlocks. I just offered him another alternative to explore--and while not $20, it is reasonably priced (and the modification not void Glock's warranty). If he wants to look at he can--f not no big deal. I'm not trying to sell either one.

cidirkona
April 5, 2004, 12:25 PM
...And I'm just expressing that when I pick up my Glock on Friday, I will be ordering a Saf-T-Blok.

-Colin

longeyes
April 5, 2004, 12:34 PM
I like 'em. They are safer than any manual safety if inserted properly. That pistol is just not going to go off. They can be popped out as the gun is being drawn with little or no loss of speed.

And they just might save your behind if someone is able to grab your gun.

eyz
April 5, 2004, 01:34 PM
I have two of them and used them all the time before I sold\traded my Glocks. They are worth every penny. They provide insurance against any possible bone-headed discharges. I carried thunderwear, jacket pocket (no holster), non gun fanny pack (no holster), other pocket (no holster). Like was said previously if somebody should grab your weapon by surprise force they won't know how to fire it before they can be disarmed.

gamegod86
April 5, 2004, 02:42 PM
I have a saf-t-block/clipdraw combo on a g26. I don't generally carry it, mainly because I just prefer a holster.

Be sure to practice with it a lot. That thing is very easy to forget.

It really is a bad feeling when you have to fire and can't.

It really can add zero time to your draw, but to do that, you have to practice and make the act of popping it out a fluid motion that is instinctive more than thought.

I think that you should either use it all the time or not at all to prevent confusion in a SHTF situation.

cidirkona
April 5, 2004, 02:45 PM
Good point...

Hey EYZ, you wouldn't still happen to have them now that you don't have your glocks anymore, do ya? ;) :D

I've also been thinking of getting one of those ClipDraw things just for added support while holstered, or unholstered IWB carry... but honestly, I'm worried about it scratching. Has anyone tried of of these? Did it cause extra wear in the Tenifer (or whatever their version is called)?

-Colin

cidirkona
April 5, 2004, 03:21 PM
...and why doens't Glockmeister carry these??

-Colin

Island Beretta
April 5, 2004, 04:05 PM
..really finger off trigger until on target and you are cool..

..as for if someone grabs your gun..hello!!! :what:

Island Beretta
April 5, 2004, 04:27 PM
..really finger off trigger until on target and you are cool..

..as for if someone grabs your gun..hello!!! :what:

synapse
April 5, 2004, 09:30 PM
Sorry with all the questions, but my purchase of that Glock 19 is about 90% certain but does rely on the 3 questions below...Thanks.1

1) How much force is required to remove the SAF-T-BLOCK?

2) Will it come free 'automatically' if left in a backpack and shaken around?

3) How safe is it for Mexican Carry?

Thanks,
Synapse

jc2
April 5, 2004, 10:06 PM
1. It is adjustable (very limited though)--you set how much force is required to move it.

2. Yes it can (unless you use the optional padlock). Consider that it is set to pop free with pressure from the base pad of your trigger finger (probably less than a pound pressure), if anything presses against the side that exerts as much more pressure than the base pad of your trigger finger than in will pop out. I would not trust it carried loose in a backpack.

3. I wouldn't for the same reasons enumerated above. I could also see it as being quite easy to lose on the draw (as you removed the weapon from your waistband) or as you shift round.

If you really want to carry a Glock loose in a backpack, you best leave the chamber empty. If you want to carry a Glock IWB, you best invest in a good holster that covers the trigger guard. The SAF-T-BLOCK is not the answer for either situation. It does, however, make a good gun lock. After reading your concerns and questions, I am not sure that a Glock is what you really want/need.

middy
April 5, 2004, 10:47 PM
I use a Clipdraw and Safe-T-Block all the time. It has never popped out accidentally. Can't really beat the Clipdraw for concealment. You'll find that even the thinnest holster adds thickness, plus they're just a pain in the @ss to mess with...

Lennyjoe
April 5, 2004, 10:54 PM
I carried my G19 for 3 years and never felt unsafe with the current Glock trigger safties.

Quality holster with a trigger guard and control of your trigger finger is all you need.

But, if it makes you feel more comfortable then by all means get one. Just make sure you can punch it out fast enough so that extra second wont get you killed.

gamegod86
April 6, 2004, 01:08 AM
Another thing you might consider...

The clipdraw doesn't allow the pistol to go far enough down in your pants, IMO.

If you shove the gun way down, the clipdraw tries to push out away from the slide.

I think that it needs to be made so the gun rides lower in the waistband.

Just my opinion, FWIW.

drone23
April 6, 2004, 05:26 PM
Saf-T-Block's are great if you are carrying without a holster that covers the trigger. If you have a holster that covers the trigger, they are pointless. Glocks will not go off unless you pull the trigger period.

Just for the record. Glocks have safeties, just no manual safeties. I believe Glocks are what a combat handgun should be. Below is an explanation of how the Glock safeties work.

http://glockmeister.com/safeties.shtml

-D

jc2
April 6, 2004, 06:12 PM
Here is another link (pdf file) about how Glock safeties work:

http://www.cominolli.com/postnews2.pdf

Shawn Dodson
April 6, 2004, 06:18 PM
I have absolutely no experience with the Saf-T-Block. I carry a Glock 19.

Not that I'm interested in getting one, but I'm just curious...

How easy is it to remove if one is forced to draw with the weak hand?

drone23
April 6, 2004, 07:04 PM
shawn,

Gretat point. It would be a pain to remove with the weak hand. Especially under stress, possibly injured.

-D

cidirkona
April 6, 2004, 07:29 PM
Hm, I didn't even think of that. I suppose you could wrap your finger inside it and pull it out, but you might as well pull the trigger to try that menooover (can't spell it, not going to try).

-Colin

cidirkona
April 6, 2004, 07:34 PM
I like how in that PDF they call a "brain fart" a "brain fade." None the less, 99.9% of unintentional discharges are negligent.

-Colin

longeyes
April 6, 2004, 07:41 PM
If you are righthanded and you are drawing from a right hip holster with your left hand you could still punch the Saf-T-Block out with any of your fingers as soon as you are past the trigger guard. It doesn't take that much force to dislodge.

Kobun
April 6, 2004, 09:01 PM
If you are talking bout carrying without a holster (wich I don't like) I guess there is a use.
When I got my first Glock, I was also a bit conserned about not having a safety.
I cocked the gun when empty, and handeled, carried and threw the gun around for a few weeks.
Not once did it go off, and I came to trust the safe action system.
You might try something like that yourself if you are conserned.

jc2
April 6, 2004, 09:11 PM
. .

jc2
April 6, 2004, 09:14 PM
Shawn -
How easy is it to remove if one is forced to draw with the weak hand?
I would say darn near impossible. I don't think it could be done without dropping the weapon (or laying it down). Good point!!!

cidirkona -
None the less, 99.9% of unintentional discharges are negligent.
Most Glocks (actually all handguns) are indeed carried by very fallible human beings! Some tend to more prone to handling errors than others!

RRTX
April 6, 2004, 09:18 PM
Just letting you guys know that when I was in Cheaper Than Dirt this evening they had a crapload of the Saf-T-Blocks, I believe they were $11.97 .

JohnKSa
April 6, 2004, 10:37 PM
You do need to make sure you get the right model for your pistol.

If you get a mismatch, the Saf-T-Blok can push against the trigger safety and eventually the constant pressure will cause the polymer spring in the trigger safety to relax rendering it useless.

Erich
April 7, 2004, 09:58 AM
"Polymer spring"?

Erich
April 7, 2004, 02:45 PM
All right, I just ordered a new Saf-T-Blok for my new Glock (got it yesterday) direct from the manufacturer [(800) 472-4405]. That's where I got my last one, and they were just as nice this time. Total price (incl. delivery) was $16.95.

cidirkona
April 7, 2004, 03:49 PM
And how do you, as a new user of the block, find it add/subtracts from the safety of the glock, and how much does it add/subtract from the time to draw the weapon?

Thanks
-Colin

Erich
April 7, 2004, 05:49 PM
Um, Colin, I wasn't clear.

I am not a new user of the block - see my post up-page (I believe I was the first to respond to this thread).

And I wasn't clear either about the new one I've got coming. I got the new Glock yesterday; I ordered the new Saf-T-Blok from the manufacturer as the start of business today.

As I said earlier, a Saf-T-Blok adds nothing to my time getting the gun on target and into action. I consider that it adds safety when I put the gun into a fanny pack w/o a holster.

Anyway, I think you'll like yours when it comes.

cidirkona
April 7, 2004, 06:21 PM
I'm sorry, I must have misread.

...won't be able to take her to the range until Saturday even though I can get her on Friday... damn engineering labs...

-Colin

Erich
April 8, 2004, 10:15 AM
Chin up, Colin, the rain ought to be over by then! :) (I'm hoping to sneak out tomorrow, but who knows what it'll be like. We're getting a soaking right now.)

In the meantime, you can sneak over to Mi Nidito and have a president's plate for me! :D

cidirkona
April 8, 2004, 12:25 PM
Actually, I was going to go to the indoor range, the rain stopped in Tucson not too long ago - and I haven't been to Mi Nidito in quite a while, I think I'll have to go sometime soon...

Damn, it's already 9 o'glock...
c'mon and glock around the glock tonight...
rock out with your glock out?

I'm a bit stoked to go pick up the new tool...

-Colin

If you enjoyed reading about "Saf-T-Block" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!