Affordable EDC Knife

PDA

Praxidike
April 19, 2014, 12:03 PM
Can anyone give me a few suggestions for affordable folding knives around $25?

I had but lost a:

http://www.campmor.com/wcsstore/Campmor/static/images/items/main/81839.jpg

Gerber Bear Grylls folding knife I brought from Amazon, but it was almost impossible to open with 1 hand; otherwise, it was nice. Now I'm looking for a replacement.

If you enjoyed reading about "Affordable EDC Knife" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sam Cade
April 19, 2014, 12:18 PM
In my opinion (as lifelong cutlery enthusiast and knife user) the absolute best value in a modern one hand opening pocket knife in the $25 dollar range is the OKC RAT-1.

http://www.amazon.com/Ontario-8846-Folding-Knife-Black/dp/B001E8EM2E/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1397924159&sr=8-3&keywords=rat-1

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=193311&stc=1&d=1389131305

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=193310&stc=1&d=1389131305

skoro
April 19, 2014, 12:30 PM
I like my Buck Ecolite 112 and carry it in its nylon sheath on my belt just about every day.

Carl Levitian
April 19, 2014, 12:43 PM
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3758/11827315155_3a7b4d855f_c.jpg

Opinel's are fantastic cutters for the price of a couple beers at your local pub. A lot more rugged than most people think, and insane light weight for their size. Wide choice of sizes to choose from in either carbon steel or stainless. The saw works great for camping or survival use. Goes through wood like a beaver on crack.

Yo Mama
April 19, 2014, 02:13 PM
Buck Vantage Select, you get an American made blade, lifetime warranty, and 420hc steel treated to it's full potential.

50 Shooter
April 19, 2014, 02:21 PM
I have a RAT I & II but prefer the Kershaw Blur, its spring assisted and faster then a switch blade knife. It rides perfect in your pocket, you can change the clip for tip up or down in your pocket.

You can get one off of eBay for about $40 or check out http://kershawguy.com for deals

GLOOB
April 19, 2014, 06:45 PM
I've had a few standout EDC's, but nothing remotely resembling your last. If you would like to try something lighter and smaller, I'll second the Opinel. For blade length to weight ratio, it might be impossible to beat. My #8 still finds its way into my pocket, regularly. The blade is only 0.066" thick, so it has a little flex, but not enough to adversely affect sharpening. I don't much care for my floppy thin #10 Slim, though.

Sam, do you normally hold the RAT-1 with your index finger in the choil? It looks like a good inch between the choil and where the blade starts. How does it handle when you choke your grip up to the blade? When I find a knife doesn't grip well, it usually becomes a gift for someone else. :)

I really dug my Gerber LST, but that one seems like it wanted to slide out of my pocket too easily. I moved on after my third. I have had a few Kershaws and CRKT knives, and they were all solid. It's hard to find anything wrong with any of the major names, really. It comes down to your personal preferences. I've never broken a knife, before, even the $3.00 lockbacks made in Pakistan. And I have never failed to get a really nice edge on a knife, either.

back40
April 19, 2014, 07:21 PM
i just got this today...

http://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-3410-Chill-Pocket-Knife/dp/B002IVHQ5Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397949465&sr=8-1&keywords=kershaw+chill

nice and slim, lightweight, and yet plenty of blade. this is for situations when i feel the spyderco para-millie is too bulky.

pretty nice knife for under $20.

GLOOB
April 19, 2014, 08:03 PM
^I've had that in my cart more than once. It's only a matter of time before I end up buying one or two. I haven't become overly fond of flippers, due to the choking up thing I seem to frequently do with my pocket knives. But that knife really hits a lot of notes to me!

back40
April 19, 2014, 08:07 PM
i did the same thing. i've had it on my wishlist for probably 3 months. for $19, i don't think you'll regret it.

i also have the 'needs work' that a friend gifted me. the handle scales are horrible though. i much prefer g10.

GLOOB
April 19, 2014, 08:13 PM
^Ha, I used to move lots of random and sometimes sketchy things to my wishlist all the time. I assumed it was there only for me. When I found out it's actually a registry where anyone with your email address can see it, that was a shock! At one time I must have had 20 different knives on there.

krupparms
April 19, 2014, 09:55 PM
I have become a big fan of CRKT knives. They have a number of knives that meet that criteria. I just picked up a Crawford /Kasper Tactical folder for $19.99. This is a great EDC knife. Their M-16 EDC series is a good place to start. Some of their EDC knives are called gentlemans knives, they are a little more cash but they are just as well made as the others. Spyderco is new to me but the one I was given has proved it is a good EDC. ColdSteel is at the top of my list also . They are not cheap but even the ones that fall within your price range will be one tough knife! I have been amazed at how tough these knives can be! I have seen other knives that are good blades & are good EDC knives also, like the classic Blackcat German blade. There are a few more out there. Also Master knives! Some of the S&W knives can also be good bargains. Good luck.

Hullraiser
April 19, 2014, 10:11 PM
I like and often carry a KaBar folder which has pocket clip & thumb hole. It's not for any kind of utility though, strictly a defensive folder, unless you want a shave

hso
April 19, 2014, 10:21 PM
http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/MEYMHFCDAOH/Meyerco-Greg-Lightfoot-Catch-Dog-Assisted-4-38-inch-Plain-Tanto-Blade-G10-Handles

Radagast
April 20, 2014, 02:52 AM
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=651224

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=662934

Praxidike
April 20, 2014, 03:42 AM
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=651224

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=662934
Thanks.I knew there were older threads, but I figured I'd ask again just encase new models came out... So many options and recommendations that it's hard to choose. I decided that I rather have a small concealable fixed blade, and have been searching & researching everyone's recommendations and reviews all day... Still not any closer to making a decision.

[edit] I'm thinking about getting either the ESEE Izula 1 or or Izula 2. I like that the latter has a longer handle, but I don't like the price. I think the Ka-Bar brand has comparible knives to the Izula 2 at a better price, but their warranty sucks compared to ESEE's...

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg99/doniboy/5195603407_a224320091_m.jpg

Zeke/PA
April 20, 2014, 07:52 AM
I have to once again sing the praises of the humble Opinel offerings.
My work knife is an Opinel #12 in a leather sheath, my daily carry is a #10 carried in a belt flashlight holder and I have a #6 for my Sunday "go to meetin' "pants.
I prefer the Carbon Steel versions for their ease of sharpening and edge holding ability.
I use a Spyderco Sharpmaker finished off with a cardboard and/or leather strop.
Shaving SHARP!

Praxidike
April 20, 2014, 08:03 AM
I have to once again sing the praises of the humble Opinel offerings.
My work knife is an Opinel #12 in a leather sheath, my daily carry is a #10 carried in a belt flashlight holder and I have a #6 for my Sunday "go to meetin' "pants.
I prefer the Carbon Steel versions for their ease of sharpening and edge holding ability.
I use a Spyderco Sharpmaker finished off with a cardboard and/or leather strop.
Shaving SHARP!
They look more like kitchen knives than self defense and/or utility knives. How would you rate the Opinel to the Izula? (I know there's a price gap, but still interested in knowing)

Radagast
April 20, 2014, 08:54 AM
The Opinel is a French peasant's pocket knife. They are very sharp out of the box, with an easy to sharpen high carbon steel blade. They are also very light weight. They have a simple but strong useful locking collar. They are also quite cheap.

Downsides are two handed opening, the birch handle will swell if wet, making them hard to open and close. The carbon steel will tarnish easily, but there are stainless versions available if that is an issue. I have a carbon steel no.8 that I use as a go to knife at home and in the office, also a high polish stainless & rosewood display knife just because.

I would not consider them a defensive knife due to the two handed deployment.

Carl Levitian
April 20, 2014, 09:56 AM
Is the OP looking for a general purpose knife or a fighting knife? Two different animals.

The Opinel is a great edc knife for general use. Contrary to some beliefs, the wood handle will not swell much if treated right when you get the knife. I've experimented with mine and after being totally submerged in a glass of water for 30 minutes, will still open and close well. The swelling issue is over blown. When new, lube the joint well with food grade mineral oil. In fact, just set the knife down in a shot glass of the stuff hinge down. Let it soak in for a while. Wipe off and carry. Maybe once a month lube the joint with the mineral oil by dropping a few drops in and just go with it. Once the wood around the pivot is well lubed with the mineral oil, the knife gets pretty water resistant.

The stainless bladed Opinel's are Sandvick 12C27, same as used by the Swedish Frosts mora knives. Very good stuff, better intact than the carbon steel that Opinel uses.

If your looking for a knife to use for defense, the Opinel can be made to flip open with one hand very easy. They do this in France where the Opinel is popular with Paris street thugs because is can be ditched without much loss and replaced easy. But I don't bother with it as I just don't see a knife for a defensive weapon. If attacked by someone with a knife, just keep the heck away from it by blocking with anything in reach. Going knife on knife in a fight is Hollyweird BS. The winner of a knife fight is the guy who goes tot he ER instead of the morgue, or goes to the morgue later than the looser.

For a general use cutting tool, an Opinel is tough to beat. For a defense weapon, carry something to bash with. Works better than a knife.

Praxidike
April 20, 2014, 10:19 AM
Is the OP looking for a general purpose knife or a fighting knife? Two different animals.

The Opinel is a great edc knife for general use. Contrary to some beliefs, the wood handle will not swell much if treated right when you get the knife. I've experimented with mine and after being totally submerged in a glass of water for 30 minutes, will still open and close well. The swelling issue is over blown. When new, lube the joint well with food grade mineral oil. In fact, just set the knife down in a shot glass of the stuff hinge down. Let it soak in for a while. Wipe off and carry. Maybe once a month lube the joint with the mineral oil by dropping a few drops in and just go with it. Once the wood around the pivot is well lubed with the mineral oil, the knife gets pretty water resistant.

The stainless bladed Opinel's are Sandvick 12C27, same as used by the Swedish Frosts mora knives. Very good stuff, better intact than the carbon steel that Opinel uses.

If your looking for a knife to use for defense, the Opinel can be made to flip open with one hand very easy. They do this in France where the Opinel is popular with Paris street thugs because is can be ditched without much loss and replaced easy. But I don't bother with it as I just don't see a knife for a defensive weapon. If attacked by someone with a knife, just keep the heck away from it by blocking with anything in reach. Going knife on knife in a fight is Hollyweird BS. The winner of a knife fight is the guy who goes tot he ER instead of the morgue, or goes to the morgue later than the looser.

For a general use cutting tool, an Opinel is tough to beat. For a defense weapon, carry something to bash with. Works better than a knife.
I'm looking for general purpose which includes fighting if need be. If my firearm should not function or in I'm in a place, such as work for example, where a knife is welcomed but a gun is not, then a knife on knife fight is better than a knife on no knife fight IMHO... I'd view the knife as a last ditch effort.

back40
April 20, 2014, 10:58 AM
if you don't mind carrying a small fixed blade, i think it's a great choice. i have a small (3" blade) custom that gets carried in a horizontal kydex rig. it'll do most anything i need a knife to do. i even used it to clean my buck las year. hand forged 1084, tapered tang with ghost jade g10, black liners, and copper pins/lanyard tube. don't mind the scratches, i don't have any safe queens :)

http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag104/campfirelight/IMG_7502_zpsb49947cd.jpg

http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag104/campfirelight/IMG_7499_zps05b91123.jpg

Yo Mama
April 20, 2014, 11:01 AM
but their warranty sucks compared to ESEE's...

How so? Ever time I have seen someone break a Kabar they have taken care of it. Esee has a great warranty, but that doesn't mean Kabar's suck.

Sam Cade
April 20, 2014, 11:02 AM
If attacked by someone with a knife, just keep the heck away from it by blocking with anything in reach. Going knife on knife in a fight is Hollyweird BS. The winner of a knife fight is the guy who goes tot he ER instead of the morgue, or goes to the morgue later than the looser.

:confused:
One of the strangest things that I have noticed since I began moderating this forum is how many people seem to consistently equivocate self defense using a knife with knife-dueling.

Bizarre.

For a defense weapon, carry something to bash with. Works better than a knife.
The efficacy of a weapon is often situational.

For instance, A stick is a pretty poor weapon in the Zimmerman position or clinch.

For a general use cutting tool, an Opinel is tough to beat.
Provided that general use does not entail quickly retrieving and opening the knife, especially while wearing gloves.

The paradigm of the the modern one hand opening work knife exists for a reason.
http://paulberetta.com/images/workers/evo_and_orig_2_screws_right.jpg

Sam Cade
April 20, 2014, 11:07 AM
How so?

Ka-Bar considers batoning to be warranty voiding abuse.

*shrug* I wouldn't cover it either since many folks seem to think that a 5" belt knife should bust knots like a hydraulic wood splitter. ;)

The couple times I've dealt with Ka-Bar they fell all over themselves trying to make me happy.

Zeke/PA
April 20, 2014, 11:27 AM
They look more like kitchen knives than self defense and/or utility knives. How would you rate the Opinel to the Izula? (I know there's a price gap, but still interested in knowing)
I don't have any experience with the Izula brand except to say that they ain't cheap!

Zeke/PA
April 20, 2014, 11:30 AM
The Opinel is a French peasant's pocket knife. They are very sharp out of the box, with an easy to sharpen high carbon steel blade. They are also very light weight. They have a simple but strong useful locking collar. They are also quite cheap.

Downsides are two handed opening, the birch handle will swell if wet, making them hard to open and close. The carbon steel will tarnish easily, but there are stainless versions available if that is an issue. I have a carbon steel no.8 that I use as a go to knife at home and in the office, also a high polish stainless & rosewood display knife just because.

I would not consider them a defensive knife due to the two handed deployment.
I treat a new Carbon Steel Opinel blabe with yellow Mustard as sort of a controlled "tarnish", "patina" being the proper word I got the idea somewhere on line and it does work well.
I'll be glad to share the info!

Hullraiser
April 20, 2014, 12:06 PM
I have a couple different size fixed blade Ka-bars TDI , but ended up carrying the folder the most.
I guess they may have some utility use, but I carry in my weak side opposite my pistol. I wouldn't be worried about someone trying to grab my gun.

http://www.kabar.com/knives/law-enforcement

Geneseo1911
April 20, 2014, 01:04 PM
I'm no knife expert, but I've become a Kershaw fan. The speedsafe system is by far the best one-handed opening scheme I've tried. I'm not even sure what model I have, but all the ones at this link: http://www.midwayusa.com/find?sortby=1&itemsperpage=24&dimensionids=4294845986&newcategorydimensionid=19850&searchscope=all have the same stainless blade, which has been extremely durable in my experience. The link above to Midway should bring up all the speedsafe Kershaws they carry, which are currently on sale with free shipping. Only reason I know is because my new 'Thermite' just arrived Friday. Prices run from under $20 to around $50.

Praxidike
April 20, 2014, 02:26 PM
How so? Ever time I have seen someone break a Kabar they have taken care of it. Esee has a great warranty, but that doesn't mean Kabar's suck.
I didn't mean that KA-BAR's warranty sucks as a whole, but I was saying that compared to ESEE, KA-BAR's warranty was inferior.

LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY

KA-BAR Knives, Inc. (the "Company") warrants, to the original purchaser of the knife only, that this knife will be free from defects in material and craftsmanship under normal use and maintenance for the lifetime of the original purchaser. This Limited Warranty does not apply to any failure of, defect in, or damage to the knife caused by normal wear and tear or by improper use, including batoning with or throwing the knife, using the blades as a can opener, chisel, pry bar, screwdriver, digging tool, or for any heavy work for which the knife was not designed.

ESEE ® Warranty

NO QUESTIONS ASKED WARRANTY:

If you break it, we will replace it. Warranty is lifetime and transferable. In other words, we warranty the knife no matter how many times it's been traded, sold or given away - no sales receipt or proof of purchase required.

A lot of folks have asked us how we can stay in business offering such great customer service and warranty protection. The answer is simple; we believe that American consumers, as a whole, are honest people. The occasional customers who are dishonest are few and far between, so even if we lose every once in a while due to dishonesty, our reputation of great customer service, regardless of the situation, brings us more good customers.

I will never be asked for a receipt or proof of purchased to prove I'm the original owner because the warranty follows the knife with ESEE. ESEE will fix broken or misused knives no questions asked, but that would not pertain to me anyway. Both company do not cover rust or normal wear and tear.

Other than the transferable warranty being a resale plus, I guess as far as I'm concerned, it's kind of the same warranty.

hso
April 20, 2014, 02:56 PM
their warranty sucks compared to ESEE's

That's not correct. KaBar's warranty is excellent and their customer service is excellent. They don't tolerate stupidity and abuse of the product, but they make a lot of allowances for extreme need.

You have to explain what you need in an EDC before anyone can do more than give a scatter response.

You've set a price limit of $25 so that gives people an upper bound on cost.
You started saying you wanted a folder, but you appear to have expanded to a small fixed blade. Is that correct?
Do you want a locking folder?
Do you want a one hand opening folder?
Does the steel have to be resistant to rust or will you care for a carbon steel blade?
What primary task will you do each and every day with the knife? What's the most extreme task you've done that you expect the $25 knife to do? Do you expect it to be usable after such an extreme?
The ESSEs are well above the $25 you stated for your target knife so why is it under consideration?

Praxidike
April 20, 2014, 03:20 PM
That's not correct. KaBar's warranty is excellent and their customer service is excellent. They don't tolerate stupidity and abuse of the product, but they make a lot of allowances for extreme need.

You have to explain what you need in an EDC before anyone can do more than give a scatter response.

You've set a price limit of $25 so that gives people an upper bound on cost.
You started saying you wanted a folder, but you appear to have expanded to a small fixed blade. Is that correct?
Do you want a locking folder?
Do you want a one hand opening folder?
Does the steel have to be resistant to rust or will you care for a carbon steel blade?
What primary task will you do each and every day with the knife? What's the most extreme task you've done that you expect the $25 knife to do? Do you expect it to be usable after such an extreme?
The ESSEs are well above the $25 you stated for your target knife so why is it under consideration?
I don't doubt that there warranty is reasonable and their customer service is excellent. But to me as in my opinion, I didn't like the fact that the warranty didn't follow the knife and I liked the fact that ESEE will fix their knives no questions asked. In that respect, it was my opinion that the one warranty (not customer service) was better than the other.

Yes, I was looking for a folder, but while researching everyone's suggestion on this site and others (knife forums, Amazon reviews, Youtube reviews and comments, etc), I saw many comments and videos pertaining to fixed blades and cons of folders that I didn't know I didn't know.

I knew very little about knives before this thread, so I appreciate the comments and suggestion everyone gave because they lead me down the path of realizing what was best for me & I narrowed my choices down between the $40 Izula or the Ka-Bar BK14. I figured the extra $15 was worth it.

You can close the thread now if you wish.

hso
April 20, 2014, 03:31 PM
The Izula and the BK14 are pretty much equivalent knives with the exception of the ergos for the blade tip (minor). Good choices regardless.

Deltaboy
April 20, 2014, 05:11 PM
SAK.

9mmforMe
April 20, 2014, 08:40 PM
I really like my Buck 721 Slim Line.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Buck-721-Slim-Line-Knife-Lime-Green-Clam/28403772

It is a very well made knife, comes in grey, orange and lime scales, is quite sharp, holds its edge well and has some of the same sleek lines akin to some of the Spydercos. Buck has great customer service to back up their warranty and it can be had for 30 bucks.

Yo Mama
April 20, 2014, 10:18 PM
I don't doubt that there warranty is reasonable and their customer service is excellent. But to me as in my opinion, I didn't like the fact that the warranty didn't follow the knife and I liked the fact that ESEE will fix their knives no questions asked. In that respect, it was my opinion that the one warranty (not customer service) was better than the other.

Yes, I was looking for a folder, but while researching everyone's suggestion on this site and others (knife forums, Amazon reviews, Youtube reviews and comments, etc), I saw many comments and videos pertaining to fixed blades and cons of folders that I didn't know I didn't know.

I knew very little about knives before this thread, so I appreciate the comments and suggestion everyone gave because they lead me down the path of realizing what was best for me & I narrowed my choices down between the $40 Izula or the Ka-Bar BK14. I figured the extra $15 was worth it.

You can close the thread now if you wish.

Good pick! At first I thought you were looking for a folding knife. The Izula though that you're looking at doesn't come with scales. You can always make them, or paracord it.

I understand your point of the warranty.

In regards to learning about blades, this forum was responsible for many of my purchases. We'll see your next thread in about 2 months from now asking about a new edc :)

conw
April 22, 2014, 07:10 PM
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=193310&stc=1&d=1389131305

You should redo this pic with $25...

RustyShackelford
April 25, 2014, 12:49 PM
As a armed professional, I got in the habit of buying/carrying small tanto type blades with serraded edges that included seat-belt cutters & glass breakers.
Over the years, I've used the blade for 85-90% of the chores more than a critical incident(accident) but I like the added safety features. ;)
About 3 years ago, a small plane crashed in a suburban area near me. A few by-standers & "switched on" chappies ran to the site to aid the victims. They cut the restraints & extracted the injured quickly with small pocket type knives/tools.
In the $20-30.00 USD range, Id see brands like S&W(Border Guard II) CRKT SOG Gerber Buck Stryder.
I'd save up & get a Ernest Emerson CQC series or a top brand like Benchmade, Cold Steel, Blackhawk/MoD, etc.

Some like the "auto" type styles but check the laws or statues near you before you buy any new edged weapons or knives. Some models or blade lengths may be illegal.

gotboostvr
April 26, 2014, 08:59 AM
I actually just got my Kershaw Cyro in the mail yesterday and carried it all day. 2.75" flat ground 8cr13mov blade and frame. Frame locking assisted flip TiNi treated blade and body.
SUPER tight lock-up thanks to the frame lock, easy opening, very good looking knife. probably gonna either move or loose the clip and use a lanyard. I'm amazed by this knife at the upper 20 dollar price range.

Being said, I looked at all the small fixed blade knives really hard about a year ago and picked up a 6 dollar KaBar Piggy Back. I Parawrapped the handle and put a little lanyard on the grip and it sits perfect with just the last 1/4-1/2" of grip sticking out and my lanyard tail makes it easy to grab but perfectly hidden (since it's so light and flat!)
The drop point hollow ground blade design is exactly what I wanted. The blade is nice and thick with all kinds of jimping. The steel is perfectly serviceable but not fantastic. I don't mind sharpening it a little more often for how perfectly ideal it is for me in every other way. It does hold a pretty good edge for longer than any Gerber I ever owned, I will say that. This knife is an absolute steal at the 6 bucks I paid!

Praxidike
April 27, 2014, 09:33 AM
I actually just got my Kershaw Cyro in the mail yesterday and carried it all day. 2.75" flat ground 8cr13mov blade and frame. Frame locking assisted flip TiNi treated blade and body.
SUPER tight lock-up thanks to the frame lock, easy opening, very good looking knife. probably gonna either move or loose the clip and use a lanyard. I'm amazed by this knife at the upper 20 dollar price range.

Being said, I looked at all the small fixed blade knives really hard about a year ago and picked up a 6 dollar KaBar Piggy Back. I Parawrapped the handle and put a little lanyard on the grip and it sits perfect with just the last 1/4-1/2" of grip sticking out and my lanyard tail makes it easy to grab but perfectly hidden (since it's so light and flat!)
The drop point hollow ground blade design is exactly what I wanted. The blade is nice and thick with all kinds of jimping. The steel is perfectly serviceable but not fantastic. I don't mind sharpening it a little more often for how perfectly ideal it is for me in every other way. It does hold a pretty good edge for longer than any Gerber I ever owned, I will say that. This knife is an absolute steal at the 6 bucks I paid!

I ended up ordering a folder anyway from Kershawguy a couple of days ago... Got the Sandvik 14C28N stainless Kershaw Blur for $38 shipped. Only $13 more than I planned on spending w/o having to pay for shipping and having to buy paracord. After watching/reading about eventual rust problems and wearing off of the protective finish of the 1095 fixed blades on Youtube and other blade forums, I decided to go with a stainless Sandvik blade... I had rust problems with a couple of my firearms over the winter, and rather bypass all the extra maintenance and worry. Plus it helped that several people in this thread and in other threads at bladeforums were recommending Kershaws as well...

ESEE claims to be coming out with a stainless, hopefully Sandvik, version of their knives. I'll prob. will pick one up when they, if they, ever do.

tomrkba
April 27, 2014, 10:01 AM
The knife is for fighting and utility, not just utility. Your grip will be different and stress will change the pressure your hand exerts on the knife. This can lead to pressure on the liner lock. Do you want to risk that lock releasing and the blade closing across your fingers as you stab with everything you have? This is one reason why I stopped carrying Spyderco knives.

Choose a small fixed blade over a cheap folder. It seems to me that the Axis lock is still the most secure lock, though CRKT has their two step lock that seems secure.

Praxidike
April 27, 2014, 02:15 PM
The knife is for fighting and utility, not just utility. Your grip will be different and stress will change the pressure your hand exerts on the knife. This can lead to pressure on the liner lock. Do you want to risk that lock releasing and the blade closing across your fingers as you stab with everything you have? This is one reason why I stopped carrying Spyderco knives.

Choose a small fixed blade over a cheap folder. It seems to me that the Axis lock is still the most secure lock, though CRKT has their two step lock that seems secure.
That's one of the reasons why I change my mind to wanting a fixed blade. They'll hold up better in survival and self defense situations as well as doing daily task. With that said, I have not heard of too many stories about Spydercos or Kershaws or the like easily closing up under pressure. The chances me being in an altercation to begin with, my firearm failing or not being able to be used, AND my folder closing up on me is pretty slim to none.

Either way, I know its a slight possibility, and I plan on buying both. The folder is better anyway for when I'm at work and like places. My job will probably see a fixed blade as being a weapon only, so it'll help to have a folder as well.

Deltaboy
April 27, 2014, 07:46 PM
Kershaw , Smith and Wesson Border patrol or those SOG will do.

Fred Fuller
April 27, 2014, 09:01 PM
I don't like liner locks if anything other than general utility is in the offing. I'd rather have a lockback if I'm limited to an inexpensive folder.

If you aren't going to do a lot of abusive stuff with it, take a look at the Kabar Dozier Folding Hunter With Thumb Notch - http://www.amazon.com/KA-BAR-Dozier-Folding-Hunter-Knife/dp/B0013AUDFS/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1398646021&sr=8-6&keywords=kabar+dozier

http://www.kabar.com/images/products/knives/4065_1.png

-- image at http://www.kabar.com/knives/detail/45

My wife is the proverbial absent minded professor, and used to sow the world with Spyderco Enduras - but none of them ever sprouted or bore fruit, unfortunately. When the Kabar/Dozier knife first appeared I bought one to look at and test and it did well, so I bought half a dozen of them. And I told her she could lose a $20 knife just as well as she could a more expensive one. She whined a little at first :D but soon grew to like the Kabars - especially since I could keep her 'reserves' clean and sharp and all she had to do was pick up another one when the one she was carrying got dull and gummed up with tape stickum.

We're still working with that original half dozen - I think it's down to four now though.

JERRY
April 27, 2014, 09:21 PM
if you can go with fixed blade id recommend the TDI Ka-Bar 2 1/4" serrated.

kbbailey
April 27, 2014, 11:00 PM
I'm no knife expert, but I've become a Kershaw fan. The speedsafe system is by far the best one-handed opening scheme I've tried.

This goes for me too.
I bought a Kershaw 'Needs Work' for...well....work. After about two years of rough farm use, I'm convinced it's the best work knife I ever had.
I liked it so well that I bought the slimmer 'Chive' for casual carry.
Both are super-sharp and lightning fast. I highly recommend either.
Made in USA. About $35.00

Sam Cade
April 28, 2014, 11:37 AM
I bought a Kershaw 'Needs Work' for...well....work. After about two years of rough farm use, I'm convinced it's the best work knife I ever had.

The Needs Work is one of my favorite production utility folders, especially the long discontinued ones with the flat G10 scales.

Praxidike
April 28, 2014, 10:02 PM
The Needs Work is one of my favorite production utility folders, especially the long discontinued ones with the flat G10 scales.

I love their naming schemes lol.

My Kershaw Blur came in today. I ordered it from KershawGuy Friday afternoon, he shipped it from Washington State Saturday, and it arrived here in Virginia Monday (today). That's pretty darn fast especially being that it was a cross country weekend delivery...

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg99/doniboy/3626174176_a460ce3f1a.jpg

if you can go with fixed blade id recommend the TDI Ka-Bar 2 1/4" serrated.

I was looking at those, but they don't seem to be very versatile.

I don't like liner locks if anything other than general utility is in the offing. I'd rather have a lockback if I'm limited to an inexpensive folder.

If you aren't going to do a lot of abusive stuff with it, take a look at the Kabar Dozier Folding Hunter With Thumb Notch - http://www.amazon.com/KA-BAR-Dozier-Folding-Hunter-Knife/dp/B0013AUDFS/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1398646021&sr=8-6&keywords=kabar+dozier

-- image at http://www.kabar.com/knives/detail/45

My wife is the proverbial absent minded professor, and used to sow the world with Spyderco Enduras - but none of them ever sprouted or bore fruit, unfortunately. When the Kabar/Dozier knife first appeared I bought one to look at and test and it did well, so I bought half a dozen of them. And I told her she could lose a $20 knife just as well as she could a more expensive one. She whined a little at first :D but soon grew to like the Kabars - especially since I could keep her 'reserves' clean and sharp and all she had to do was pick up another one when the one she was carrying got dull and gummed up with tape stickum.

We're still working with that original half dozen - I think it's down to four now though.

I actually like the look (colors) of those... Might grab a pink one for my girlfriend.

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg99/doniboy/4065BO_h_lg.png
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg99/doniboy/4065ZGDetail.png

Why are you down to four now? What happened to the other two? Don't tell me the wife lost them too lol.

Fred Fuller
April 30, 2014, 10:46 AM
Yes, two of the Kabars went the way of all folding knives in our household. They've lasted several years though, so I can't complain.

Somewhere she found the Spyderco Native that I had tried for a while and replaced in my EDC with something else, and has added that to her clutch. She usually carries two folders at a time, one on each side (the clips are reversible), and when she complains about the state of her knives I clean and sharpen whatever's left :D. That way she can dump whatever gets sticky or dull and just pick up a sharp clean folder. When they all get sticky or dull, I hear about it.

Praxidike
May 1, 2014, 04:04 PM
Okay well I started off wanting a cheap but quality replacement for a lost knife, but some how ended up going over budget by over 400%. I just got done lecturing my girlfriend about spending money, and now I go and buy two new some what expensive knives that I can't tell her how much they cost lol. Plus she only knows about one of them so far...

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg99/doniboy/IMG_0416.jpg

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg99/doniboy/IMG_0419.jpg

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg99/doniboy/IMG_0427.jpg

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg99/doniboy/IMG_0428.jpg

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg99/doniboy/IMG_0425.jpg

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg99/doniboy/IMG_0435.jpg

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg99/doniboy/IMG_0424.jpg

The last pic is of all the toys that I quietly purchased within the last month.

hso
May 1, 2014, 08:38 PM
So you got the Ka-Bar BK14 Becker Knife and Tool Eskabar for just under $40 and the Kershaw Blur for just under $40 instead of just one knife.

See what happens here? We're not just enablers. :evil:

22-rimfire
May 1, 2014, 08:45 PM
The BK-14 is a good knife IF you add handles to it. Otherwise, it is pretty much a letter opener for me. I'm not partial to paracord wraps and I don't think they're great as far as a permanent handle replacement. Take a look at the micarta handles available from the Knifeconnection. You can also buy the less expensive Kabar plastic which work.

The Kabar Dozier folding hunters are good inexpensive knives.

Gordon
May 1, 2014, 10:43 PM
I just bouight this "left over" from Sam1911.:D It is wonderful! he made a pocket sheath for it with the added mounting point for a Tech Lok for horizontal belt carry. Just the right size. A super blade design! ;)
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=8803692#post8803692

50 Shooter
May 2, 2014, 12:22 AM
Prax,
Good to hear everything went well with Kershawguy, I haven't bought from him yet but others have posted good things and that's why I posted the link.

I own 3 Kershaw Blurs, plus another Kershaw knife. I swap two of the Blurs and my wife carries the 3rd one, she decided she liked mine so I gave it to her and bought another.

mole
May 2, 2014, 05:03 PM
Where did you order the becker from if you don't mind my asking.

John

Praxidike
May 3, 2014, 12:02 AM
So you got the Ka-Bar BK14 Becker Knife and Tool Eskabar for just under $40 and the Kershaw Blur for just under $40 instead of just one knife.

See what happens here? We're not just enablers. :evil:
Tell me about it lol...

Praxidike
May 3, 2014, 12:05 AM
Prax,
Good to hear everything went well with Kershawguy, I haven't bought from him yet but others have posted good things and that's why I posted the link.

I own 3 Kershaw Blurs, plus another Kershaw knife. I swap two of the Blurs and my wife carries the 3rd one, she decided she liked mine so I gave it to her and bought another.
Yea you and 2 dozen others at bladeforums recommended Kershaw Guy + he had the best prices out of every other site I looked at. No complaints...

Praxidike
May 3, 2014, 12:18 AM
Where did you order the becker from if you don't mind my asking.

John
Amazon for $36 + I'm an Amazon Prime member, so I get free 2 day shipping and discounted overnight shipping ($4). Amazon is like the only online retailer that will charge tax though so it all came to like $42 with overnight shipping cost. (http://amzn.com/B004CIQY6K)

Walmart also has it at the same price, free store pickup, and no added tax, but you'll have two wait longer to get the knife... Usually a week or so. (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Becker-B14-Becker-Eskabar/21927176)

Amazon sells the updated version of the BK14 Eskabar that has the laser etched logos, Izula like textured finishing, and updated sheath that doesn't rattle or dull the knife. I have no clue what version Walmart sells, but Amazon and Walmart had the best prices with free shipping options.

gym
May 4, 2014, 12:08 AM
I use cheap self opening tanto style knives from Blade paly, they are 10-15 dollars on sale, and last 6 months, I do sharpen all my knives and they will cut through an artery or muscle like paper. when dull or loose beyond my standard, I just throw them in a drawer. All are capable of doing damage. I usually have 2 on me.

RustyShackelford
May 8, 2014, 05:49 PM
I like the Cold Steel Recon Tanto folder & the silver/grey Code 4 tanto(with serraded edge).
The Cold Steel folder styles do not have seat belt cutters or glass breakers but they look well made & robust.

The Code 4 line isn't cheap but it's less than a custom Ernest Emerson or Henry knife. ;)

krupparms
May 9, 2014, 12:30 PM
I have several CRKT knives as they are great knives at fantastic prices! Last week I got a Carwford / Kasper on sale. $19.50 out the door .I picked up a Hammond / Cruiser this week .The CRKT liner locks with the "LAWKS " system is almost like having a non folder. The H./C. I picked up runs $69.95 MSRP. I was able to get it for $19.95 on sale. Most CRKT knives come with a choice of blade styles. Serrated, fully serrated or partly serrated. Some have window breakers &seatbelt cutters. I have picked up several CRKT knives on sale & have never had one break. If you want a folder for fighting, Spydercos Matriarch 2 or a Harpy will work fine. But I would only use it for that! You want to keep it sharp & as a surprise for your adversary. JMO. Good luck! :)

Sam Cade
May 9, 2014, 01:21 PM
Last week I got a Carwford / Kasper on sale. $19.50 out the door .I picked up a Hammond / Cruiser this week.The H./C. I picked up runs $69.95 MSRP. I was able to get it for $19.95 on sale.

Those knives are probably worth the $20 if they don't have any gross defects. The Q/A on CRKT folders seems to be really hit or miss these days.
Both of those are quite huge and may be outside of the allowable size envelope for EDC for some folks.

Of the two, I like the Desert Cruiser better since it is tip up and has a flipper.
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=198171&stc=1&d=1399655708

I chopped off the finger groove on the Crawford/Kasper. Feels much better now.

The CRKT liner locks with the "LAWKS " system is almost like having a non folder.
Don't believe the advertisement hype. That thin little LAWKS plate mashes right over.
Also note how the small sharp tip is pressing against soft zytel.
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=198172&stc=1&d=1399655762

Great idea poorly executed.

Praxidike
May 9, 2014, 01:25 PM
I have several CRKT knives as they are great knives at fantastic prices! Last week I got a Carwford / Kasper on sale. $19.50 out the door .I picked up a Hammond / Cruiser this week .The CRKT liner locks with the "LAWKS " system is almost like having a non folder. The H./C. I picked up runs $69.95 MSRP. I was able to get it for $19.95 on sale. Most CRKT knives come with a choice of blade styles. Serrated, fully serrated or partly serrated. Some have window breakers &seatbelt cutters. I have picked up several CRKT knives on sale & have never had one break. If you want a folder for fighting, Spydercos Matriarch 2 or a Harpy will work fine. But I would only use it for that! You want to keep it sharp & as a surprise for your adversary. JMO. Good luck! :)
Yea I think I have a new addiction now.. Knives our a lot cheaper than guns, so it's a step in the right direction I guess. I'm going to get a Spyderco next... A Spyderco tenacious or persistence. I have not looked at the Matriarch 2 yet, I but will.

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg99/doniboy/IMG_0442.jpg

krupparms
May 17, 2014, 03:25 PM
After I received my 2 Spyderco knives, I started looking at some of the hawkbill knives for sale. The Spyderco knives are great knives. But a little to much for most as far as price. But then I remembered that Spyderco also imported the BYRD knives. Most if not all of the BYRD knives are made in China. But they are fantastic bargains. The steel is still good &for the price seem to be made for EDC. I am planning to buy a couple of the hawkbills . I already own 2 other BYRD knives but put them up right after I got them! They have been in my safe about 5 years now. I have taken them out a few times, but had decided to pass them to my grandsons . They will each get about 15+ knives put back for them .I hope they enjoy them as much as I do! Some of the knives will be from my dad's collection, that were given to me to start my collection. Anyway give BYRD knives a look, I believe you might like them as EDC knives. I do agree that the 'lawks' system is just a backup to the liner lock. It has never failed on any of my CRKT knives. That said, it could & should be made stronger. As I have been useing them for about 12 years now & the only problem I have had was a broken tip ( my fault! ). I have to say they are one of the top EDC knives around. JMO. There have been some very good options put forth to chose from & try! Good luck with whatever you get! By the way Spyderco Matriarch 2, the civilian, & a few others are S.D.knives & not for work knives! For work, the Harpy (Hannibal Lectors choice. ), the Tasman salt are work knives! Check out YouTube reviews on Spyderco & BYRD knives.

RussellC
May 26, 2014, 11:38 AM
I know this is not what you are asking for, but is truth. While there are bargains out there, follow Sam's advice, he knows how to judge them...BUT, for me, a knife is a tool and tools, more than just about anything adhere to the rule "Buy the best and only cry once."

Russellc

Joe Demko
May 27, 2014, 02:34 PM
Ebay has many knives that would meet your needs that would cost more than $25 if new. High quality used knives from major manufacturers can be had for very little if they have too much wear to be of interest to a collector. A knife that isn't MIB is still a useful knife, though.

Blade First
June 5, 2014, 09:19 PM
Catching the very tail-end of the thread, but let me add my 'recommend' to the BK-14. Aftermarket scales are readily available; last purchase I made was for two pair...one in black, the other orange. Installation is as simple as you would imagine. Add a little paracord in the right places and you are good to go.

Hullraiser
June 6, 2014, 05:48 PM
I have many knifes. Some for utility, uncle henry, liner locks etc. some strictly defense like a folding KaBar ( sharp enough to shave with) I'd have to say the one I seem to carry and use the most is a very small bear gillis multi tool. Didn't think I would, but it seems I'm always using the straight or aerated blades or the pliers, screwdrivers, tweezers or something. It's usually in my pocket no mater what other knife I might be carrying. It's tough too, haven't broken it yet, when it's had plenty of opportunity

Praxidike
June 6, 2014, 08:29 PM
Catching the very tail-end of the thread, but let me add my 'recommend' to the BK-14. Aftermarket scales are readily available; last purchase I made was for two pair...one in black, the other orange. Installation is as simple as you would imagine. Add a little paracord in the right places and you are good to go.

Yea I brought the BK14 with a TDI belt clip and the oj/bk zytel scales. One month or so later and after originally only wanting to spend $25, I know own the bk14, Kershaw Blur, Spyderco Paramilitary 2, and 2 CRKT Minimalist in tanto and bowie... Forcing myself to stop now, but I might pick up the izula 2 before that happens.

Praxidike
June 6, 2014, 08:50 PM
I have many knifes. Some for utility, uncle henry, liner locks etc. some strictly defense like a folding KaBar. I'd have to say the one I seem to carry and use the most is a very small bear gillis multi tool. Didn't think I would, but it seems I'm always using the straight or aerated blades or the pliers, screwdrivers, tweezers or something. It's usually in my pocket no mater what other knife I might be carrying. It's tough too, haven't broken it yet, when it's had plenty of opportunity
I'll have to look up that bear gillie thanks

JShirley
June 6, 2014, 09:46 PM

Choose a small fixed blade over a cheap folder.

It‘d be wise to remember that this is YOUR opinion, and you‘re making assumptions, including that a defensive user *will* stab with a knife.

Sam Cade
June 6, 2014, 10:48 PM
a defensive user *will* stab with a knife.
That inspired a thought.

A sudden lateral load (like from a wonky off line slash) is about the worse case scenario for most locking folding knives I would think, since the blade would be acting as a lever to prise the liners apart.

Tony_the_tiger
June 6, 2014, 11:21 PM
Case Peanut or Baby Butterbean...

Esee Izula...

Benchmade 940...

JShirley
June 6, 2014, 11:21 PM
Personally, stabbing with a knife I'm using defensively would be close to the last thing I'd do. Slashing would be the primary, and even a friction folder would work for that.

Tony_the_tiger
June 6, 2014, 11:22 PM
Did the OP specifically mention defense? Oh I see it now...

Well here is my Izula anyway!

http://i978.photobucket.com/albums/ae269/kiwirat33/HOONGLAS.jpg

Sorry, whenever I mention Izula, Junglas gets all protective...

Here it is.

http://msnden.smugmug.com/Events/misc/i-cT845MP/0/M/442zula_zps3b1d07fe-M.jpg

If I ever feel the need for tactical safety equipment, I get my tactical safety equipment knife... but that would blow the $25 budget. I call this my "not a 710".

http://i978.photobucket.com/albums/ae269/kiwirat33/805Tsek02_zps0f147590.jpg

The 940/943 series from benchmade are really good EDC's but also a pretty penny. You can get good deals on a Spyderco Delica which would perform in the same range as the 940 but has a smaller blade with a little more belly. Actually the Delica has about as much cutting surface as the Izula but with a more aggressive point and a lockback design vs. fixed. You won't legally be able to carry a fixed blade across the U.S. but a "common" pocket knife in the 2" might just fit the bill. The BM series are 3".

http://i978.photobucket.com/albums/ae269/kiwirat33/943.jpg

Realistically though, I think you can't go wrong with a peanut, which fits the budget. but you won't be doing much stabbing with it... although it does have a good bit of blade for what it is and cuts like a much bigger knife. They have a sense of class that the new generation of folders lack IMHO. I can't open them one handed like the axis locks from benchmade or the spydie holes.

http://i978.photobucket.com/albums/ae269/kiwirat33/peanut02red_zpsbb52444c.jpg

Esee also has some new "avispa/zancuda" folders on the cheap which look like a good design from the blue mountain folk.

AOK
June 6, 2014, 11:52 PM
Personally, stabbing with a knife I'm using defensively would be close to the last thing I'd do. Slashing would be the primary, and even a friction folder would work for that.

I'm sorry, I may be completely misunderstanding your post but are you suggesting slashing is more effective than stabbing?

Sam Cade
June 7, 2014, 12:08 AM
I'm sorry, I may be completely misunderstanding your post but are you suggesting slashing is more effective than stabbing?

In defensive use of a knife, especially a small one, absolutely.

To wit:
A single tendon severing, metacarpal breaking slash to the back of an assailants hand is much more effective at rendering them instantly combat-ineffective than a single (though ultimately fatal) stab wound which relies on hypovolemic (and possibly psychological) shock to be effective.

Hullraiser
June 7, 2014, 11:03 AM
Here's the BG / gerber multi tool

Hullraiser
June 7, 2014, 11:04 AM
And the KaBar for defense

JShirley
June 7, 2014, 12:01 PM
Remember, defense. Whether the attacker dies is besides the point: I want to be safe. Stabbing an attacker requires reaching them. Reaching them requires additional risk, when the ultimate goal is safe disengagement. Cutting limbs is much safer for you, the defender.

I mean, what I'm saying *is* obvious, right?

Joe Demko
June 7, 2014, 06:46 PM
Yes, it is, and I agree.

rcmodel
June 7, 2014, 09:36 PM
I agree completely too.

The full serated Spyderco Rescue below is a better SD knife then the bigger CRKT Tanto M16-14 above it.
Why?

The Spyderco was designed to cut through seatbelts, clothing, and anything else without fail in a life or death situation.
That means it will cut through coat sleeves, jean legs, and the motor & life support systems under them easily.

The downward sweep of the blade angle on the Spyderco makes a push or pull stroke a deeply cutting stroke.

It's hard to continue being a threat with an arm or leg just hanging by half the flesh still left on it while you are loosing blood pressure at a very rapid rate!

The CRKT Tanto was designed to impress someone, or punch holes in beer cans?

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/rcmodel/Knives/SpydeCRKT_zpsdfb61d16.jpg

rc

Ron James
June 7, 2014, 10:39 PM
I was told a long time ago by a very old and experience individual " the best thing to take to a knife fight is someone else ", it was not until I witnessed my first bloodletting did I under stand what he meant. Just an observation, me, during such a confrontation, I plan on being somewhere as fast as I can get there:).

rcmodel
June 7, 2014, 11:27 PM
That too.

There are never any clear winners in a knife fight.

Just maybe a surviver, if one of them is real lucky.

I would only consider a knife as a 'last resort' sort of SD weapon under the best of circumstances.

And there are never any 'best circumstances' in a knife fight with more then one knife in your control involved!

rc

Sam Cade
June 8, 2014, 12:01 AM
There are never any clear winners in a knife fight.

Just maybe a surviver, if one of them is real lucky.

Y'know, I just don't understand why folks seem to conflate self defense with a knife with knife armed mutual combat.

rcmodel
June 8, 2014, 12:18 AM
You know, I don't understand it either.

Just seems to turn out that way in my limited experience.

Unless you are confronted by a BG with a knife or a gun and have no other recourse though?

You best leave your knife in your pocket.

rc

Water-Man
June 8, 2014, 12:25 AM
The folks that don't understand it have never been in a knife fight or witnessed one.

Sam Cade
June 8, 2014, 12:38 AM
The folks that don't understand it have never been in a knife fight or witnessed one.

I don't have any idea what you are trying to say here.
I might just be too fatigued.

Water-Man
June 8, 2014, 12:41 AM
You might be.

I'm referring to the practicality of getting in a knife fight.

Sam Cade
June 8, 2014, 01:05 AM
I'm referring to the practicality of getting in a knife fight.

Well, I wear an EMT costume sometimes, and I've seen a bit of knife-related mayhem.

I've also been purposefully, personally, cut, hacked, clubbed, and had my right eye stabbed out.

So, in my unfortunately experienced opinion, mutual combat with knives is something to be avoided if at all possible, of course ;)

But that doesn't have much to do with defensive use of the blade if a firearm is not a valid option for whatever reason.

Water-Man
June 8, 2014, 01:35 AM
Not many scenarios, if any, that a defensive knife would be allowed and not a gun, or a stick or cane.

Forget a knife fight.

JShirley
June 8, 2014, 06:31 AM
Better rendered as, "Forget what you think you know about knife fights in movies."

I think you're missing the point, perhaps deliberately. Also, it turns out there are MANY situations where I can have a knife, but not a "gun, stick or cane", whether the law would allow their use or not. Today in uniform at my unit is one such time.

As several people have clearly stated, nothing about using a knife defensively requires that it be in answer to a knife in an attacker's hands- in fact, if you KNOW an assailant has a knife, using a knife against them should be your third to last resort, only better than bare hands (sometimes) or doing nothing while being slashed or stabbed.

The only "ideal" use of a knife defensively is when facing a deadly threat at very close range, such as being choked. News flash: you the defender are unlikely to be cut as you defensively cut the attacker choking you.

Praxidike
June 8, 2014, 10:06 AM
Not many scenarios, if any, that a defensive knife would be allowed and not a gun, or a stick or cane.

Forget a knife fight.
Many private businesses, places of employment, venues, etc. will explicitly state that firearms can not be carried. I can get away with carrying a 3-4 inch non-tactical "looking" fixed blade or folder to work where as any firearm would get me arrested, fired, or both. Knifes do not normally carry the same stigma as firearms do, so I tend to carry a knife and pepper spray when I can not carry a gun.

Tony_the_tiger
June 8, 2014, 11:24 AM
Sorry to hear about your experiences Sam.

To the original intent of the thread - I still think Izula, although about $20 over budget, is one of the best knives to have around in an emergency sack or glove box. But as noted, carrying a fixed won't fly everywhere.

Sam's Rat knife and the ESEE avispa/zancuda group are probably your best bet without getting into the 50 - 100, 100 - 200 range of spydies and quality benchmade folders.

I'm still preferential towards a peanut or case swayback jack... but I wouldn't think slipjoints are ideal for emergency defensive scenarios.

Hullraiser
June 8, 2014, 12:30 PM
Many private businesses, places of employment, venues, etc. will explicitly state that firearms can not be carried. I can get away with carrying a 3-4 inch non-tactical "looking" fixed blade or folder to work where as any firearm would get me arrested, fired, or both. Knifes do not normally carry the same stigma as firearms do, so I tend to carry a knife and pepper spray when I can not carry a gun.

In Ohio knifes are demonized more than guns legally. CCW is for a gun only. A knife cannot be over I believe 4" and Connor be concealed other than smaller pen knife for utility.
I carry a folding KaBar with the clip showing on my weak side( left). It's there primarily incase someone would try to take my gun from me on the right, there Arm would be slashed till they let go. It is sharp enough to shave comfortably with and is 1/3 serrated to base

Sam Cade
June 8, 2014, 12:40 PM
Ohio
A knife cannot be over I believe 4" and Con not be concealed other than smaller pen knife for utility.

Legal blade length is determined by local law not Ohio state law. State law says that any knife could be construed as a deadly weapon (legally speaking).

(A) "Deadly weapon" means any instrument, device, or thing capable of inflicting death, and designed or specially adapted for use as a weapon, or possessed, carried, or used as a weapon.
Note the "Or".

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.11

Hullraiser
June 8, 2014, 01:47 PM
That makes it even more confusing when the laws change by county and jurisdiction.

AJumbo
June 15, 2014, 11:56 AM
I've seen three gruesome knife fights, two similarly gruesome one-sided knife attacks, and have avoided a few *possible* assaults by having a weapon in my hand when the balloon went up. I never, ever want to have to defend myself with a knife......or a shotgun. I don't want trouble. I don't to be near it, or have it thrust upon those I care about. That mindset neither deters evil, nor prepares on to deal with it, so I go armed and alert if I go anywhere at all.

So..... getting back to the original focus of this thread, I just relieved Amazon of one of their Ontario RAT-1 folders, and will report back on it in a few days. I even spent the few extra bucks on the Coyote Brown version, mostly just 'cause I already have a stinkload of black knives. The RAT will be in my pocket while my beloved Spydercos and Benchmades are in the hospital for corrective surgery (mostly bent clips.)

Gottahaveone
June 16, 2014, 03:48 PM
I've been carrying a SOG Twitch II clipped to the top of my left cargo pocket for about a year now. Assisted opening, lockback, and decent enough steel for what I use it for. Nothing tactical, no scared sheeple when I pull it out, and it just works for me. They can be had online for ~$35....

http://www.sogknives.com/twitch-ii.html

Deltaboy
June 16, 2014, 04:29 PM
I got a box full of knives to choose from to carry daily.

AJumbo
June 17, 2014, 12:09 AM
Well, the RAT-1 burrowed its way under the door today......... Dang impressive for $35. Stout, opens smoothly, locks up well, 4-position clip, AUS-8 steel. All I've used it for so far is opening letters and a package of hamburger, but it was shaving sharp right out of the box. If you're OK with black, it can be had on Amazon for around $25. I'll have to get used to using a linerlock again, but that ain't no step for a stepper.

Hullraiser
June 20, 2014, 08:27 AM
Well, I'll have to get used to using a linerlock again, but that ain't no step for a stepper.

Linerlocks are about the only type I like, other than fixed blade. Many are one hand open/close operation

If you enjoyed reading about "Affordable EDC Knife" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!