Mosin crate coffee table - question.

PDA

SuedePflow
April 22, 2014, 11:50 AM
So I recently picked up a Mosin Nagant crate that I want to use as a coffee table. I'm not going to get as crazy with it as some posted online (no glass inlays, repainting, rope lights, etc...). I like how mine looks old and weathered and I want to maintain that appearance. I plan to have a nice piece of glass cut to just lay across the top and I'll add some small feet and that's it.

But I'd like to "seal" it somehow. Like some sort of clearcoat to help preserve it's current state. I don't want anything shiny though. Anybody have a recommendation of a product that I can use to accomplish this?

If you enjoyed reading about "Mosin crate coffee table - question." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sam1911
April 22, 2014, 11:54 AM
Matte polyurethane.

Try one of these: http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/interior-clear-protective-finishes/

For your purposes the wipe-on would be super-easy. Just make sure you get Satin, not gloss or semi-gloss.

horsemen61
April 22, 2014, 12:06 PM
pics please

SuedePflow
April 22, 2014, 12:44 PM
Matte polyurethane.

Try one of these: http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/...tive-finishes/

For your purposes the wipe-on would be super-easy. Just make sure you get Satin, not gloss or semi-gloss.
Thanks! Now does polyurethane dry a bit on the tacky/sticky side?

SuedePflow
April 22, 2014, 12:45 PM
horsemen61 - I'll definitely share pics when the time comes.

Sam1911
April 22, 2014, 12:45 PM
No. When it is dry it is smooth to the touch and tack-free. It's probably the most common top-coat finish for floors and other "natural" or "bright" finished woodwork.

SuedePflow
April 22, 2014, 12:53 PM
Excellent. I'll give it a try. Thanks again for the suggestion.

SuedePflow
April 22, 2014, 01:21 PM
One last question- There seems to be a large price difference between 'fast drying' and 'water based'. Any particular reason I'd want one over the other (aside from cost)?

http://www.amazon.com/Minwax-63010-Drying-Polyurethane-Finish/dp/B000VZLF58/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398182047&sr=8-1&keywords=satin+polyurethane

http://www.amazon.com/Minwax-63025-Water-Based-Polyurethane/dp/B000RNNF2K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1398182047&sr=8-2&keywords=satin+polyurethane

ColtPythonElite
April 22, 2014, 01:42 PM
Water based doesn't require thinner to clean your brush.....Just buy whatever is cheaper and throw away the brush.

Sam1911
April 22, 2014, 01:48 PM
Water-based is much more convenient, and would probably work perfectly well for this purpose. I'd go with that.

ColtPythonElite
April 22, 2014, 01:53 PM
If I wanted a thicker, more durable finish, I would use spar varnish like Minwax Helmsman.

SuedePflow
April 22, 2014, 03:13 PM
I called Minwax and they recommended Polycrylic for painted surfaces. He didn't say that polyurethane wouldn't work, but they they "don't actively test it over painted surfaces".

So I'm going to buy a quart of each and test both on the bottom side of the crate to see which yields the best results.

ColtPythonElite
April 22, 2014, 04:10 PM
Polyurethane or spar will work fine over paint. I have made several sets of cornhole boards and used both finishes with good results....No offense, but you are over thinking this project. It's an old packing crate. I doubt if you will screw it up regardless of what you choose.

SuedePflow
April 22, 2014, 04:50 PM
Yeah, my lack of experience with this stuff has me overthinking it a bit. I just don't want to ruin the crate. I always prefer to do things right the first time too, so I'm just trying to be overly sure. :-)

ColtPythonElite
April 22, 2014, 06:09 PM
I am sure any of the products mentioned will turn out great.....For feet, check out cabinet knobs.

If you enjoyed reading about "Mosin crate coffee table - question." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!