Reck .25 ACP

PDA

cue606
April 22, 2014, 07:32 PM
My father recently picked up a new toy. A Reck P8 6.35mm marked western Germany with ivory grips in nearly perfect condition. Here's the rub, the woman who he got it from said it was issued to her husband who recently passed during his service in the CIA. Although it seems plausible it's kind of setting off my BS alarms. Anyone know anything about this or have information on it? It's definitely real ivory and appears all original, matching serial #s, etc and it's not the standard LA or cub models that were distributed in the US so it's an oddball worst case.

If you enjoyed reading about "Reck .25 ACP" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ron James
April 22, 2014, 09:23 PM
A Reck by any other name still smells like a Reck. It is still a LA Fury, made of alloys and sold under a wide assortment of names including Reck P8 , and I might add, sold very cheaply. Real Ivory on a Reck? It might be so, but that would be pearls before swine. If the CIA issued a Reck to any of their agents, the US is in worst shape than I thought. Sorry about that,

cue606
April 22, 2014, 09:40 PM
Oh yea it's definitely a POS. I could tell that as soon as I took it apart. The grips might not be original but they look like it. It wouldn't be bad for a nice concealed carry if it was made better. Based on some of the horrible firearm decisions the US gov has made it wouldn't shock if they purchased these. Problem is finding a way to document it if it's true.

Jim K
April 22, 2014, 10:10 PM
Unfortunately, those family stories often become distorted, to say the least. I once had the widow of an Army captain show me the carbine her late husband carried on Omaha Beach on D-Day. I can't say she was wrong, but it almost certainly was the only Model 1873 trapdoor carbine on that beach.

Jim

Ron James
April 22, 2014, 10:16 PM
I really don't think you have to worry about documentation, The CIA never issued Reck's, even in what was then West Germany. There were plenty of small dependable .25's that were available other than Recks. Also it was imported to the US , other wise it would not have ' West Germany ' roll marked on it.

cue606
April 23, 2014, 06:05 PM
Yea, I kind of figured. Still an interesting piece. I have yet to see one like it so at the very least it's somewhat rare in great shape.

Jim K
April 24, 2014, 05:46 PM
I know most folks don't believe it, but actual spies were information gatherers and almost never carried guns. In most countries (including the U.S.) anyone spotted or caught with a gun would automatically be under suspicion and, if he did not have the proper papers, would almost certainly be arrested. In wartime, he would not survive.

Of course the James Bond stories of derring-do and shootouts are pure fiction, written by a supposed secret agent who reportedly spent the war at a desk.

Jim

cue606
April 24, 2014, 05:54 PM
That was actually my hope, that it by some stretch was issued to some desk jockey who kept it. It's in great shape. Really a shame it's such a POS. But my father got it cheap and it's fun conversation piece so what the hell, right.

Ron James
April 24, 2014, 10:33 PM
Now, you have me curious, can you post pictures?

stressed
April 24, 2014, 11:40 PM
No, it is not some magical assassin gun. It is however, still a Reck.

cue606
April 27, 2014, 05:11 AM
I'll email my father and see if he can send me some pics because it's different. I had seen one before at a gun show but not nickel finish with pearl grips. What always got me with the Recks was the chamber face. They look almost hand filed instead of finished. Makes me want to spend a few hours on one in a machine shop and accurize it just to see how big a difference it would make. The ONLY up side is they're center fire blow back op, otherwise they'd be complete garbage.

deadin
May 2, 2014, 07:30 PM
The ONLY up side is they're center fire blow back op

Huh?? What's the up side in that? Nearly all the POS guns bigger then .22 are blow-back. I can't right off think of any that aren't...:confused:

cue606
May 10, 2014, 06:26 PM
The up side is that blowback operation is by far the most reliable statistically as is center fire vs. rim fire.

If you enjoyed reading about "Reck .25 ACP" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!