Scale recommendations

April 23, 2014, 05:45 PM
I'm in the market for a reliable scale.

It will be mainly for shipping some envelope packages from my office, and rather than running to the post office I can weight and print and ship without leaving.

However, if I'm going to make the purchase, I'd like to get one with a great warranty that will dial down to the smallest useful weights for things like reloading or other tiny needs.

I'd like to keep it under $40. If not, I'll just buy dedicated scales for both purposes. It can be a desktop model, and need not be portable.

Costco has a $35 model but it doesn't look like it will measure small enough.

$30 model here:

Maybe a better scale for under $30 here:

What recommendations/experiences do you have with scales? Names/model # and even a linky would be helpful.

If you enjoyed reading about "Scale recommendations" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
April 23, 2014, 06:32 PM
What ever you get for shipping will not have the accuracy needed for reloading. Range is for measuring heavier items.

Check out

April 23, 2014, 06:40 PM
Postal scales measure in ounces and portions thereof; scales for gun powder measure in grains (7000/pound)

tightgroup tiger
April 23, 2014, 08:38 PM
The only two electronic scales I can think of that will both weigh a letter and a pistol charge are the Hornady bench scales and the RCBS ChargeMaster 750.

The Hornady is the cheaper of the two at $99.00. I don't know of anything else.

Jorg Nysgerrig
April 24, 2014, 11:58 AM
As oneounceload mentioned, a basic understanding of units of measurement used for various tasks goes a long way when it comes to buying a scale. The scales you linked have increments of .1 oz or 1 g (which is gram, not grain) for the Costco scale and .1g for the other scales.

.1 ounce ~ 43.75 grains
1 gram ~ 15.43 grains
.1 gram ~ 1.54 (obviously)

Even the most granular of those scales is an order of magnitude off what would be expected for a reloading scale. The Costco scale would put your powder charge somewhere between that of a .25acp and a .44 magnum.

The other end of the scale (ha ha) is true as well. Most reloading scales top out at 750 to 1500 grains. That's barely over 3 oz on the top end and certainly inadequate for mailing needs.

April 24, 2014, 01:38 PM
You would be best served with 2 different scales for what you plan to do with them.
Its like comparing a ultra fine point pen with a Sharpie marker.

April 24, 2014, 01:42 PM
My $30 Frankford arsenal scale works just fine

April 24, 2014, 01:45 PM
You won't get one that works in that price range. Spend the money on a PACT or one from Brian Enos. If you want an auto dispenser buy a RCBS Chargemaster. You can buy the RCBS scale separate from the dispenser. But you will pay a lot more for the entire package if you decide to add the dispenser later.

You get what you pay for w/ electronic scales. If it runs on batteries only then it's garbage.

April 24, 2014, 10:16 PM
This one ( at Amazon works fine for me. I'd also get a 100G weight that it calls for to calibrate it.

April 26, 2014, 11:33 AM
Might I suggest two scales, one for each purpose. I use Endicia to print stamps (similar to and their startup package included a small scale that plugs into my computer via USB. I think most postal scales measure in 1/2oz increments.

I have an RCBS 750 scale on my reloading bench.

If you enjoyed reading about "Scale recommendations" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!