Becoming A Moderator?

PDA

Yo Mama
April 24, 2014, 04:10 PM
How is a new moderator selected? Does the site need more mods?

If you enjoyed reading about "Becoming A Moderator?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Owen
April 24, 2014, 04:14 PM
The staff has its own forum, and the topic of staffing comes up often.

When the mods agree they need a new moderator,, they start passing names around.

Usually the mods will dig into folk's posting histories, looking for signs that contraindicate becoming a moderator.

Then one of the mods will ask the individaul member if they are interested in being a mod. This continues until enough folks are found to fill the need.

If you are interested in becoming a mod, drop a line to one of the active moderators.

hso
April 24, 2014, 04:33 PM
Keep in mind there's a deep look by the staff at the posting history of candidate moderators. It is important to already be helping to keep things between the lines as well as showing a desire to help other members with the technical questions.

It doesn't hurt to have a patient nature since your patience will be tried over and over again as you encounter the same problems from the same people as well as many more who bump into them for the first time. Most folks you can help understand what's needed to keep THR's culture of civility and rationality running smoothly with a friendly PM while a few aren't interested in supporting the unique culture here even when it is explained THR is itself a form of pro 2A activism defying the Antis' propaganda that gun enthusiasts and gun owners are misanthropes that can't be trusted with firearms. Our purpose is to show the great majority of people out there that aren't dedicated Antis that you and I and other RKBA advocates are the type of people they would want to trust in normal and stressful situations. Putting the lie to the Antis' lies is our mission, but not everyone sees value in that.

1KPerDay
April 24, 2014, 04:48 PM
IMO Moderating is kinda like the Presidency... nobody who wants the job should be allowed to have it. ;)

BullfrogKen
April 24, 2014, 05:09 PM
It's often a thankless job where a decent fella will be called both a jack-booted thug and liberal pinko commie, and sometimes both in the same day.

The folks the Staff generally look at for consideration aren't the kind of guys who would come straight out and ask for the position. Like Mike said, the Staff considers level-headed members who are already doing tasks that further the mission of THR, and try to introduce calm into heated discussions rather than fanning the flames of the fire.

bikerdoc
April 24, 2014, 05:15 PM
It is important to already be helping to keep things between the lines as well as showing a desire to help other members with the technical questions.

That is a key element. The mods cant be everywhere and read everything. Members that understand our mission and culture use the report button, and jump into threads that need direction.
As stated they are there to help and answer questions.

9mmepiphany
April 24, 2014, 05:48 PM
IMO Moderating is kinda like the Presidency... nobody who wants the job should be allowed to have it. ;)
There is a certain amount of truth to that

Sam Cade
April 24, 2014, 07:04 PM
I just do it for the health insurance.

WestKentucky
April 24, 2014, 07:08 PM
I have wondered over the last few days how the mods spend so much time here. What professions do you all have that let's you put the hours in on here?

bikerdoc
April 24, 2014, 07:14 PM
Retired :)

Sam Cade
April 24, 2014, 07:18 PM
I'm an EMT and general ner'do well. ;)

I work strange hours so I could be free at any time. When I'm out in the shop on my own time I keep THR open on a tablet and check it periodically. I'm writing this while sitting on an upside down plastic bucket in front of a roaring propane burning forge.

Several of the others do most of their moderating via smartphone throughout the day.

hso
April 24, 2014, 07:55 PM
WK,

Most of the Mods are professionals who are well into their careers giving them some flexibility to check in, but the members are the biggest help and point out problems to us helping us avoid spending hours sifting through the site. We also have specific areas of responsibility that help bound how much we have to look after. We try to not load any Mod with more than one difficult "beat" to cover.

Frank Ettin
April 24, 2014, 07:56 PM
I'm retired as well.

Yo Mama
April 24, 2014, 08:42 PM
Thanks everyone. I know how hard you work to keep this site the way it is, I also know it's mostly thankless. Thanks for all you do, I know there were recent threads with a lot of criticism, I've been here long enough to appreciate what gets done and how it gets done by all the Moderators.

9mmepiphany
April 24, 2014, 09:05 PM
Retired, but still looking for trouble/adventure

Robert
April 24, 2014, 09:32 PM
I work four tens but have 3 kids and a wife so they take up a fair amount of time. Of late I have not been doing much other than sweeping up. The Sams and a few others have been looking after my areas for me.

Derek Zeanah
April 24, 2014, 09:44 PM
There's an intelligence test as well. If you're intelligent you say "no" when we approach you.

Everyone in bold failed that test. And I'm grateful. :o

horsemen61
April 24, 2014, 10:24 PM
Two things A thanks all mods you guys rock love it here at THR B Derek I've been told you own THR ? How did that happen I'm just curious that's all

DT Guy
April 25, 2014, 03:39 PM
All I know is, I'm nowhere near moderate enough. :)

It's a tough gig, and must definitely impact the enjoyment you can get from the site; my hat is off to those who donate their time for our benefit.

Larry

hso
April 25, 2014, 07:39 PM
Taking it on as a job, even as a volunteer, takes a lot of the fun out of it, but there's great satisfaction seeing you guys make the site as good as it is.

And that should be enough mutual laudatory behavior lest we're too nice to each other. ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Becoming A Moderator?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!