GOOD Aftermarket Grips for Ruger SP101

PDA

Fred Defender
April 26, 2014, 08:57 AM
After being admonished for my being hyper-critical over the poor quality of Hogue Monogrip for my wife's SP101, I was hoping that someone could recommend a decent after-market grip. I'm not willing to spend hundreds, but I'd gladly pay $50-$75 for a decent set of grips that actually FIT properly.

We like the Hogue style (rubber or similar material) and, except for the lousy fit, they seem comfortable.

Please do not recommend Pachmayr because their customer service seems to be no better than Hogue's.

Thanks,

Frustrated in FL

If you enjoyed reading about "GOOD Aftermarket Grips for Ruger SP101" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hardluk1
April 26, 2014, 09:06 AM
Guess you have a problem YOU have to deal with not use. I have used hogues soft rubber mono grip or several hunting revolvers for decades and a hogues and pachy on snubbies. I personal hate wood on anything but a soft fun powder poof load.

Soooo you get to find what you like. No what we like as that does not matter.

ColtPythonElite
April 26, 2014, 09:19 AM
Badger Boot

HexHead
April 26, 2014, 09:22 AM
What does Pachmeyer's customer service have to with it. They're grips, you screw them on. How much "customer service" do you need? Sheesh.

CraigC
April 26, 2014, 10:32 AM
http://www.herrettstocks.com

kbbailey
April 26, 2014, 11:37 AM
I'm an oddball because i like the factory grip just fine. The plastic insert has gotta go.

Fred Defender
April 26, 2014, 11:48 AM
What does Pachmeyer's customer service have to with it. They're grips, you screw them on. How much "customer service" do you need? Sheesh.
I just want to see how the Pachmayr grips attach. Is it asking too much of the company to request installation instructions?

I have been in sales for most of my adult life. I don't tolerate poor customer service. And I don't tolerate lousy product.

markallen
April 26, 2014, 09:05 PM
You have a revolver with a grip stud. You have a one piece molded Pachmyer grip with one horizontal hole through it, and you have one screw....and you need instructions?

Madcap_Magician
April 26, 2014, 09:29 PM
Trausch makes a very good rubber SP101 grip.

Fiv3r
April 26, 2014, 09:38 PM
The Pach grips slip on the tang with a nylon spacer that goes in the hole that the factory metal stud goes through. They tighten down with a screw and nut that goes through the middle of the grip.

Mine are quite tight and comfortable. Not soft like a Houge but kind of tacky and grippy.
The only issue you might have is that you over tighten the screw it will start to stick out a bit.

For durability and General use, I really like the Pachs. For dressing up, the stock grips with a custom wood panel.

BKDinTexas
April 26, 2014, 09:40 PM
Wow. I have had nothing but excellent service from Hogue. The single time I had a problem they sent me a new grip, no questions asked. Didn't want the old one back either. Always ship the same day as well.

RustyShackelford
April 26, 2014, 11:11 PM
I got a rubber Hogue Tamer for my NYPD surplus GPNY revolver in 2006. I had 0 problems or complaints.
If Hogues aren't your thing, contact the Ruger wizards at www.Geminicustoms.com . The shop has a few custom SP101s. Eagle Grips might have a few SP101 grips too.
Crimson Trace, www.crimsontrace.com markets a SP101 red laser grip. :D

Rusty

460Kodiak
April 27, 2014, 01:06 AM
Badger Grips are great on an SP101

ugaarguy
April 27, 2014, 11:46 PM
I've moved this to Handguns: Revolvers rather than General since it's a revolver specific question.

ArchAngelCD
April 28, 2014, 01:04 AM
Like I said in another thread, I'm a big fan of Badger Custom Grips.
IMO they are very good grips for a fair price.
http://www.badgercustomgrips.com/custom-grips/ruger.html

benzy2
April 28, 2014, 01:07 AM
Sounds like function isn't what you care about but rather aesthetics. If that's the case, buy what looks best to you rather than what we all like. As you said, the hogues work fine. Google image search should present you with options you may or may not find acceptable.

ssmith1187
April 28, 2014, 10:54 AM
http://www.herrettstocks.com
Without stirring the pot...I'm not sure this is the fit the OP is looking for.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=750721

It's hard to tell in these pictures, but the gap between the trigger guard and the grip is what the OP doesn't like about the Houge grips.

Regards,
Steve

Bush Pilot
April 28, 2014, 11:09 AM
I just want to see how the Pachmayr grips attach. Is it asking too much of the company to request installation instructions?

I have been in sales for most of my adult life. I don't tolerate ****ty customer service. And I don't tolerate c*** product.
Do you avoid pencils because they lack instructions? If you can screw in a light bulb you can put on a set of grips.

Cump
April 28, 2014, 11:34 AM
Looking online, it doesn't seem like the Hogue grips usually have the gap on the sp. If they are otherwise comfortable, I'd try for a return/exchange ...

On the Pachmayr, if I recall correctly, they are slightly wider than the factory grips, which may also rule them out for your wife.

The Badgers look nice, but I haven't invested in them for my new sp without being able to try them first -- with my unaverage hands (shorter fingers on my strong hand from childhood fractures).

I actually shoot pretty good with the stock grips, and it conceals well enough -- so I have kept it as is.

19-3Ben
April 28, 2014, 04:07 PM

If you have the mechanical aptitude to safely load, fire, and service a firearm, you have the aptitude to take two grip panels and screw them together on either side of a grip-frame.

To another point, people who have them, go nuts over Trausch grips for the SP101. I'd look for some.

commygun
April 28, 2014, 08:35 PM
Pachmayr Compacs. Concealable and hand-filling.

BullfrogKen
April 28, 2014, 08:48 PM
How much customer service do you want for a $20.00 grip?

Toss a quality screwdriver kit into your car. Take your empty and cased revolver along with you to any decently-stocked gun shop. Go into the shop and see what's in stock. If they have grips for your revolver in stock, get the attention of someone working there.

Tell that employee that you're particular about the fit of the grips you're looking at (there is nothing shoddy about either Hogue or Pachmayr grips, so stop pretending it's so) and that you want to try a set on the gun that's in your car before you buy it. Then ask him how to go about doing that.

I can't see you being happy any other way.

SAWBONES
April 28, 2014, 11:35 PM
The stock Ruger rubber grips with custom stag & wood inserts work for me. Shooting 158gr .357 Magnum loads with wooden grips is more uncomfortable than with rubber grips.

I tried several of the others (Hogue, Uncle Mike's, Trausch, Pachmayr) a few years ago, and found that I like the feel of the stock grips best of the lot.

PistolPete45
April 29, 2014, 12:40 AM
I got Pachmayr am real happy Have a Hogue grip on a 44 magnum I like ok but wish I had bought Pachmayr. OK so I am a bit prejudiced here I have 5 Pachmayr grips and love them .

jeffersonsguns
April 29, 2014, 11:21 PM
I took off the hogues and went with this new guy on ebay John Morse grips, they are a bit pricey but are the best ive found.

TennJed
April 29, 2014, 11:46 PM
I'm an oddball because i like the factory grip just fine. The plastic insert has gotta go.
I agree and there are plenty of good custom inserts. I like stag

Viper225
April 30, 2014, 01:14 AM
http://i60.tinypic.com/2801ik6.jpg
Letts Style Grips by Altamont. They have fancy Rubber as well as Fancy Fish Scale wood inserts.
The Front Sight is a "Little Wonder" Fiber Optic by Gemini Customs.

http://i60.tinypic.com/25yx7aa.jpg
Another picture of the Altamont Grips.
Holster is a Rocky Hill Leather.
Speed Loader is an F Model Jet Loader.
Speed Loader Belt Carrier is a Big Creek Kydex.

Bob The Revolver Guy

TUBBY1
May 1, 2014, 02:02 PM
Love that grip Viper. If I did't spend too much money on my ct grip I would do that one . Kind of got that Wiley Clapp look on the Gp 100. Sharp.

kbbailey
May 2, 2014, 09:38 PM
Thank's Tennjed and Viper, I was beginning to feel lioke the Lone Ranger.
Mine has Altamont fake ivory with a custom masonic emblem laser engraved on 'em.
My phone refuses to put pic on THR nowadays...but trust me, they look pretty cool.

ClemY
May 4, 2014, 09:58 AM
I favor Trausch grips for my SP101s.

http://www.trausch.com/form/accueilA.htm

RealGun
May 8, 2014, 09:15 AM
The wooden compact style grips on eBay marked "Thailand" are thinner than Hogue's overly round and bulky design in about the same shape (finger grooves, round butt, closed area behind trigger guard.

Once I got the ammo toned down for the smaller gun (custom loads in 357 cases), I went back to the original grips with custom insert. I do have to watch my grip and not get up too firmly against the trigger guard. It's still a knuckle bruiser.

RealGun
May 8, 2014, 09:33 AM
I favor Trausch grips for my SP101s.

If you find a way to buy any, please post.

ssmith1187
May 8, 2014, 10:29 AM
Here you go RealGun...admittedly not the most sophisticated website:

http://www.trausch.com/form/informateng.htm

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shipment fee: ( 8 US$ up to 3 grips - please add 1 US$ per grip up to 10 grips - +10 please contact us )

TRAUSCH GRIPS INTL.CORP
c/o SLI, Inc -765 N Route 83, Suite 124
BENSENVILLE,IL,60106

Fax : (770) 234-3992

OR PAYMENT ASSISTANCE TO

Tel: (312) 239-0967

Your order will be sent as soon as your settlement is clear

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I put a set on my wife's SP101 and she loves them, so does my daughter for that matter :-)

Regards,
Steve

kbbailey
May 11, 2014, 08:51 AM
I admit that I mostly shoot my tame cast reloads in mine too.

RealGun
May 11, 2014, 04:44 PM
The Hogue Monogrip (http://www.amazon.com/Hogue-Rubber-Ruger-SP101-Monogrip/dp/B001AZJ08C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399837266&sr=8-1&keywords=hogue+monogrip+sp101) is very good. Just deal with Amazon rather than Hogue directly, and life will be good.

jeffersonsguns
May 19, 2014, 02:17 AM
How big are your hands? I hate the way Hogue feels I have large hands, have you
ever seen John Morse grips for SP101? I attatched a pic. Yoyu can get them on ebay. if you have medium hands it will probly fit well too. take care.

RealGun
May 19, 2014, 08:24 AM
How big are your hands?

Glove size is usually small. Affecting reach to the trigger is an important factor. It all falls into place for me with many Hogues, especially rubber.

To me, the critical improvement with an SP101 grip is filling the area behind the trigger guard. There is a lot more space there than with a stock GP100 grip.

I suppose a shooter with big hands wouldn't mind a broom handle feel to a grip.

dickydalton
May 19, 2014, 09:16 PM
I just received some Altamont with the fish scale wood. They are beautiful and the checkering on the rubber may help. I'll find out tomorrow. They are almost identical in size to the factory grips. I also have a Pachmayr grip that is a joy to shoot with, but a bit wide under the shirt.

If you enjoyed reading about "GOOD Aftermarket Grips for Ruger SP101" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!