Confused...

PDA

Omega
April 26, 2014, 11:52 PM
I suspect that answer will be simple but I am puzzled, so sorry for the stupid question. I am using Dillon 650. I haven't reloaded 9mm for few years and did not have problem in the past but right now I do. The bullets are falling into casing. I tried bullets from several manufacturers - the same result. the bullets are .355 as they supposed to be. I reduced "bell" on the shell to minimal - the same.
I tried different shells with different head stamps - the same. I thought may be the problem on station one ( casing resizing and primer removing) and tried cases from case feeder - the same.:mad:
if your have an idea what can cause it - please share it with me.
Thank you!
:confused:

If you enjoyed reading about "Confused..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
fallout mike
April 26, 2014, 11:58 PM
Are you sure your brass is 9x19 and not 9x18?

fallout mike
April 27, 2014, 12:00 AM
Also are you sure your dies are 9mm and not 9x18. If so the resizing would be way too much as 9x18 mak is .365.

Omega
April 27, 2014, 12:09 AM
Yes, I am sure of it. It is not 9mm Makarov.

243winxb
April 27, 2014, 12:18 AM
Check the powder funnel expander diameter. Is it the correct one?

ArchAngelCD
April 27, 2014, 12:24 AM
It sounds like your sizing die isn't adjusted correctly so you are no sizing your cases completely. The case has to be sized to original specs for the neck tension to be adequate which is what really holds the bullet. If the bullets are falling into the case the case has not be resized well enough. Check your sizing die adjustments again.

Blue68f100
April 27, 2014, 09:27 AM
Size one round and see if the bullet will set on top. If not remove the sizing die and see if the insert is still in place. If it has fallen out it will do no sizing. If the bullet sits on top the sizing die is doing it's job move on to the powder funnel.

Omega
April 27, 2014, 10:23 AM
Thank you for your attention to my problem. I will check station one more time.
I did not do any adjustments since last time I reloaded 9mm. Just changed whole assembly as I do for all calibers I am reloading: 32, 38sp, 9, 40 ,45...
Again - thank you!

dickttx
April 27, 2014, 02:50 PM
Only two causes:
1-The case is not being sized down enough. On a 9mm, if a Lee die the case would have to go all the way into the die, as the carbide insert is maybe 3/8 long and tapered.
2-The wrong expander plug. The bell would not make any difference as it is only on the very mouth of the case. The expander brings the sized case diameter back up to where it should be after it is resized.
Did you by chance change bullets? With three different sets of dies I cannot load .355 FMJ bullets into my 38 Super cases, they slip in with only finger pressure, even when trying them without running them through the expander die.

Otto
April 27, 2014, 03:04 PM
Simply measure the case's inside diameter before you start and after each stage.

Omega
May 3, 2014, 04:45 PM
Guys, thank you for your input. I ordered, received and installed depriming and sizing die from Dillon and everything is peachy now:p
Seems like my old die quit working
Again - thank you!

If you enjoyed reading about "Confused..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!