rebarrel a Ruger SP101

PDA

LUCKYDAWG13
May 3, 2014, 06:26 PM
hello all can a Ruger SP101 be rebarreled i have a 3" that needs to be 4"
to CC in Illinois while i deer hunt i just don't like the idea of leaving it in my
truck while i hunt. you see your carry gun must be legal to hunt with that
means it has to have a 4" barrel in order to carry when i hunt :banghead:
thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "rebarrel a Ruger SP101" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ironman615
May 3, 2014, 06:35 PM
To answer your question, yes, a Ruger SP101 can certainly be rebarrelled. The other question is, does doing so really make sense? It won't be cheap, and the result won't be as convenient to carry. I'd be tempted to carry something else in the woods during hunting season. It is your call.

LUCKYDAWG13
May 3, 2014, 06:39 PM
i do have a S&W 686 with a 6' barrel but don't think i can conceal it once im out of the woods
or can i ?

DT Guy
May 3, 2014, 06:49 PM
Depends on how you dress, and what you consider 'concealed'; a big hunting coat will cover an awful lot of holster, and (unless the deer are snitches :) ) there really won't be anyone to notice the odd print or slip, right?

Larry

LUCKYDAWG13
May 3, 2014, 06:54 PM
the thing is after im out of the woods going out to eat and in and out of Hotel
and things like that

rcmodel
May 3, 2014, 09:02 PM
Then you need to leave the 3" a 3" inch.

All an extra 1" of barrel will gain you is a lot lighter wallet.
And a harder to conceal gun at the restaurant!

Don't waste your money!

You can buy a truck gun safe for way less then it will cost you to re-barrel it.
And then have a fixed sight gun that probably won't shoot where it looks.

rc

Eb1
May 3, 2014, 09:32 PM
Buy another SP101 if that is what you wish to carry in the woods. Then carry you 3" SP101 when you are not at the camp, hotel, or however you hunt.

LUCKYDAWG13
May 3, 2014, 10:01 PM
thanks all looks like i have in excuse to buy a new ruger then i do
like the 4" GP 100

gotboostvr
May 3, 2014, 10:04 PM
How concealable is a 6" 686?
http://i.imgur.com/SKLuaLZs.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/hX37TLXs.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/cdl0XTls.jpg

depends how creative you are I guess. a shoulder holster under your blaze oranges should work too.

Nighthawk0083
May 4, 2014, 01:37 AM
I am not judging but other than not wanting to leave your pistol in the truck what reason do you think you need it?

LUCKYDAWG13
May 4, 2014, 08:57 AM
I am not judging but other than not wanting to leave your pistol in the truck what reason do you think you need it?

i just don't like leaving a pistol in my truck is all.and i hunt with a muzzleloader

BSA1
May 4, 2014, 09:14 AM
In some states it is illegal to carry a modern centerfire firearm when primitive hunting.

LUCKYDAWG13
May 4, 2014, 09:18 AM
in Illinois you can use a B/P during firearm season
muzzleloader shotgun handgun all good in Firearm season

Bush Pilot
May 4, 2014, 09:50 AM
thanks all looks like i have in excuse to buy a new ruger then i do
like the 4" GP 100
Have fun packing a GP100 all day.

Eb1
May 4, 2014, 10:23 AM
Ah now, Bush Pilot. It couldn't be any worse than packing a 5.5" Super Black Hawk in .44 Magnum, but I wear it across the chest. Makes it easy to carry. It is also great to have when you walk the farm during hunting season, but don't wan't to lug a shotgun with you.

Something like this: http://www.7xleather.com/chest_holster

CraigC
May 4, 2014, 11:24 AM
Have fun packing a GP100 all day.
If I couldn't pack a 4" GP all day, I'd stay home.

Nighthawk0083
May 4, 2014, 12:22 PM
I see, sounds like you need a new barrel or a new gun. Back when I lived in IL I had a older colt revolver rebarreled. I took it to a revolver/pistol shop owned by Bill Oglesby over near Springfield IL. I think he charged me somewhere around 100 to put the barrel on as I already bought the barrel. So I dont think it would cost more than a couple hundred dollars if you decide to go that route.

Cooldill
May 4, 2014, 12:40 PM
I am having much the same predicament.

I have a GP100 6" but I want a GP100 4" because the 6" is soooooooo long and slow on the draw.

CraigC
May 4, 2014, 12:41 PM
It's all a matter of whether or not you can find a barrel. Ruger won't sell you one and won't install a 4" barrel on a gun that shipped as a 3". They used to and you can try asking but they've moved away from this in recent years. A custom barrel will cost you more than another gun.

I have a GP100 6" but I want a GP100 4" because the 6" is soooooooo long and slow on the draw.
That's easy, just have it cut to 4" and a Weigand interchangeable front sight installed.

RugRev
May 4, 2014, 02:36 PM
"I have a GP100 6" but I want a GP100 4" because the 6" is soooooooo long and slow on the draw."

Cut the barrel and you can machine the rib to accept the stock Ruger interchangeable front sight as another option. Hmm, now there is a combo I wish Ruger would make, a 4" 1/2 lug adjustable sighted GP100!!

Regarding Ruger rebarreling the 3" to 4" the existing 4" barrels have a taller front sight to accommodate the adjustable rear so would need some rework to accommodate a fixed rear sight.

Bush Pilot
May 4, 2014, 05:05 PM
If I couldn't pack a 4" GP all day, I'd stay home.
Packing one for a few days when hunting wouldn't be bad, I meant carrying one for everyday SD. I'm used to carrying a T/C or XP when hunting Alaska or lower 48, when I do, there's no rifle along.

drastic_quench
May 4, 2014, 10:01 PM
Don't carry any other weapon during muzzleloader season. Check the regs (http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting/documents/deerhuntinginfoandcheckinsystem.pdf) under the heading It is Unlawful:

a) to possess a rifle in the field during gun deer season EXCEPT muzzleloading rifles used by deer hunters only. No person may have in his possession any firearm not authorized by administrative rule for a specific hunting season when taking deer.

Lucky Derby
May 5, 2014, 04:01 AM
By the time you invest in a barrel and gunsmithing, you could have simply bought another revolver with a 4" barrel.

LUCKYDAWG13
May 5, 2014, 06:14 AM

Don't carry any other weapon during muzzleloader season. Check the regs under the heading It is Unlawful:

i hunt first or second season Firearm shotgun pistol or M/L

drastic_quench
May 5, 2014, 04:25 PM
Then don't forget that you'll still have to have your revolver unloaded in the field before and after shooting hours.

Drail
May 5, 2014, 05:29 PM
In most of the Midwest States I've lived in it is (or was) illegal to carry a handgun while hunting with a long gun. If you can legally you're lucky.

LUCKYDAWG13
May 5, 2014, 06:08 PM
Old Today, 03:25 PM #25
drastic_quench

Then don't forget that you'll still have to have your revolver unloaded in the field before and after shooting hours.

yes you still have to unload till shooting hours
i sent Ruger a Email and they will not do it so i will just
container carry in my pack :cuss:

drastic_quench
May 5, 2014, 10:34 PM
Drail,

Illinois firearm season is open to shotguns, muzzleloaders, and handguns, so as long as it's the generic firearm season and not muzzleloader only season, you can have a handgun (provided it meets the detailed requirements).

Centerfire revolvers or centerfire single-shot handguns of .30 caliber or larger with a minimum barrel length of 4 inches.

For handguns, a bottleneck centerfire cartridge of .30 caliber or larger with a case length not exceeding 1.4 inches, or
a straight-walled centerfire cartridge of .30 caliber or larger, both of which must be available as a factory load with the published ballistic tables of the manufacturer showing a capability of at least 500 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle. There is no case length limit for straight-walled cartridges.

Non-expanding, military-style full metal jacket bullets cannot be used to harvest white-tailed deer; only soft point or expanding bullets (including copper/copper-alloy rounds designed for hunting) are legal ammunition.

7mmb
May 5, 2014, 11:52 PM
If you want a 4" 357 you don't need to step up to a GP100. Ruger makes the SP101 with a 4" barrel in 357.

leadcounsel
May 6, 2014, 12:01 AM
The easiest and least expensive way would be a straight trade with someone who has a 4" barrel that wants a 3" barrel. Unless of course IL requires a lot of hassle to do that.

LUCKYDAWG13
May 6, 2014, 07:31 AM
i see that Charter Arms makes a 4" 5 shot looks nice butt.i have not heard a lot of good things about them thing im just going to start looking for a GP-100 and keep my SP-101 for EDC
thank you all for your input on this

Cooldill
May 6, 2014, 02:25 PM
I would seek out the GP100 before going after a Charter Arms product.

JMHO.

IBEWBULL
May 6, 2014, 09:36 PM
There are some 4 inch S&W K frames around which would be a lot easier packing than a GP100.
Also if it were me I would look into an SP 101 in .22 with a 4 inch tube.
It would work for practice too.

I see a lot of options here.

Let us know how it works out.

LUCKYDAWG13
May 7, 2014, 07:10 AM
thanks too all

rbernie
May 7, 2014, 07:46 AM
Ruger makes the SP101 with a 4" barrel in 357.This.

If it's legal and you really wanna do it, just sell the shorter gun and get the 4.2" SP101 variant. The final out of pocket expense will be far less than any other alternative.

If you enjoyed reading about "rebarrel a Ruger SP101" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!