New to the Can's

PDA

LayZ
May 3, 2014, 07:55 PM
I am new to "CANS" I am looking for some info and or suggestions on some.

I have a PS90, FN 5.7x28 pistol, Ar-15 5.56, .308, and AK-47, .22lr and .17hmr. looking to stay with two or a max of three cans..... any info would be helpful.....

P.S. how dose shooting smaller cal. out of a larger cal. car work?

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "New to the Can's" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hyrulejedi86
May 3, 2014, 09:27 PM
Welcome to the forum! Personally I own a SilencerCo Sparrow and an SilencerCo/SWR Octane 9. The Sparrow will take care of your P90, Five Seven, 22lr and 17hmr in one can. I'd also recommend looking at their Spectre II can for the same purposes. They are both excellent but I choose the Sparrow due to it's monocore and super easy to disassemble and clean design.

As for the Rifles, I am having the same dilemma on what to get but from what I've gathered so far, the SilencerCo Saker 762 is a pretty solid way to go. Their QD mount is awesome but they also give you the option to use a direct thread with the can if you choose. It is rated for magnum cartridges and is right in line with the performance of the other major cans on the market.

AAC makes excellent cans as well with good QD mounts but I am partial to SilencerCo at this time.

One can that might be worth considering is the SWR Specwar 762, it is able to be used on all the calibers you mentioned but it is longer and heavier than the saker and only has the 51 tooth QD mount option. It's advantage is that it is easily the quietest can on the market especially with 300 blackout and 308. Very impressive numbers are available on youtube if you search there but again your trading off for the bigger size/weight.

Finally, You should get a pistol can so you have the complete collection. Again I recommend the SWR octane 9 or 45 because it is also very easy to disassemble and clean if you decide to shoot lead through it. In my case I can shoot the octane 9 on my 22lr hosts and essentially have two 22 cans.

Shooting a smaller caliber is done all the time and usually results in a slightly louder report than a dedicated can of that caliber but not by enough to complain about it. For example the Saker 762 has shown metering with a 223 at around 134-135db where the Saker 556 meters are 131. Without shooting the two next to each other it's unlikely you will notice a differance. This is the conclusion I've come to thanks to the members here who helped me decide between the Specwar 762 and the Saker 762. I'm planning an SBR and the extra length/weight of the specwar would be very noticeable but the sound difference most likely would not be as noticeable.

Theohazard
May 3, 2014, 10:16 PM
Hyrulejedi86 gives some great advice: All you really need is a good .22 can and a good 7.62 can and you're good to go. The silencers he mentioned are the exact same ones I'd recommend.

Though I did want to point out that the Specwar uses Silencerco's proprietary Specwar Trifecta mount, not the AAC 51T mount; that's an AAC-specific mount, but Silencerco makes a Saker MAAD mount option to fit it.

Hyrulejedi86
May 3, 2014, 10:36 PM
Thanks Theo, I thought the Specwar was a 51T and the Saker could use either their maad, 51T or direct thread. I have their Trifecta with the teeth for the Specwar. I guess that's good to know it isn't a 51T mount.

LayZ
May 4, 2014, 01:01 AM
Thanks guys. That helps out.

Theohazard
May 4, 2014, 02:38 AM
I thought the Specwar was a 51T and the Saker could use either their maad, 51T or direct thread.
Yeah, the Specwar just uses its own mount. All the interchangeable Saker mount-bases are called "MAAD" mounts (it stands for Multiple Accessory Attachment Device). They have a Trifecta MAAD mount for use with their own Saker Trifecta flash hider (not compatible with the Specwar mount), a 51T MAAD mount (for use with AAC muzzle devices), a Y-Mount MAAD mount (for use with YHM muzzle devices), and a direct-thread MAAD mount.

Theohazard
May 4, 2014, 02:39 AM
Thanks guys. That helps out.
No problem, let us know which cans you decide to get.

Olympus
May 4, 2014, 09:25 AM
Tactical Solutions Axiom will work for 3 of your calibers, FN 5.7, 22lr, and 17hmr. I have one and LOVE it!

If you enjoyed reading about "New to the Can's" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!