Looking to get a 22mag bolt rifle

PDA

zerobarrier
May 3, 2014, 10:18 PM
Hello all,

I am looking for a 22mag rifle. I have looked around a little at marlin xt22 and savage 93. I don't really know much about the 22mag and have never owned one. I do know I would like one with a heavy barrel, no fluting, which I will have threaded at some point to put a YHM stinger on it.

As for the stock, I would like something similar to the boyds tacticool stock - probably just replace the factory stock with the boyds one. I have never had a stock done in one of the duracoat camos and I kind of want to do that, artic camo or urban digital. I saw a rifle on here with the urban digital and it looks real nice.

I will mainly use this to punch paper in my back yard at 100yards, 200yards max, and probably to shoot groundhogs and such.

My question is any recommendations? What type of accuracy can I expect to get, I would be happy with 1 moa if that's possible.

The reason I am getting a 22mag is I recently was given about 1000rds of cci 22mag so I would like something to shoot them with. Plus 22mag, at least in my area, is available where as 22lr is not.

Thanks in advance for any info

If you enjoyed reading about "Looking to get a 22mag bolt rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bikemutt
May 3, 2014, 10:30 PM
I have a savage 93 stainless which I've had threaded. Boyds stock like you describe.

Its the most boring rifle I own, stupid accurate. Nikon rimfire bdc scope.

I can't imagine you going wrong with a 93.

03teufel
May 3, 2014, 10:57 PM
I grew up shooting a bolt action Marlin .22 WMR. I don't remember much about it except it worked, was accurate and I shot a lot of groundhogs with it. I remember a cheap Bushnell 3x9 scope on it, but I just can't remember the model of the rifle. Anyhow it's been my experience that Marlin rimfire rifles are legit.

viking499
May 3, 2014, 11:00 PM
I grew up shooting a bolt action Marlin .22 WMR. I don't remember much about it except it worked, was accurate and I shot a lot of groundhogs with it. I remember a cheap Bushnell 3x9 scope on it, but I just can't remember the model of the rifle. Anyhow it's been my experience that Marlin rimfire rifles are legit.

Sounds like my experience. The model was a Marlin 25M. Great gun. My son now has mine. Going on 30 years old and still goes bang every time. The only drawback I have ever had to this rifle is the magazine. I think Savage has the same issues. If I were buying a new 22 mag rimfire, I would get a CZ.

PapaG
May 3, 2014, 11:16 PM
I picked up a neglected 77-22mag a few years ago in the lgs where I worked. After trying the old H&R auto, a Marlin, a 94-22, and a Savage 93 HB, I have found my 22wmr soul mate. First one that will give me 1 1/4 MOA, and is weather resistant. Took a few hours to clean it up, some searching for rings, and trying a dozen or so loads but it is a performer with the relatively cheap CCI maxi solids. $375 I paid for the all weather gem. Bargains are out there.

ZGunner
May 4, 2014, 12:38 AM
I'm with Viking on the CZ. I have a CZ 462 American in 17 HMR, absolutely the best rimfire I've ever shot. I would not hesitate to get one in 22 WMR.

A Savage would be a close second. I've had a few Savage Mk IIs that we're awesome. If a 93 is anything like the Mk II you would not be disappointed. I believe they can be had for less as well.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/90745/Savage+93FVSR+22WMR+HB+TB+RAIL

I have the Mk II (22lr) version of the linked rifle. Threaded barrel and it'll make a nice package with a suppressor.

HOOfan_1
May 4, 2014, 01:18 AM
CZ already sells one in the Tacticool stock and threaded barrel

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-455-tacticool-22-lr-suppressor-ready/

Woops only comes in. 22lr...surprising considering the 455 is supposed to have interchangeable barrels

Radagast
May 4, 2014, 01:31 AM
I have the CZ452 in .22lr, .22 magnum & .17HMR. For shooting at targets out past 120 yards, I would look at the .17hmr if ammo is available. The round seems inherently accurate.
If I had to judge accuracy, .17HMR>.22lr>.22magnum.
That being said, I like the .22 magnum, if hunting within 85 yards it is my preferred small game caliber. Obviously I like the CZ platform too!

zerobarrier
May 4, 2014, 02:22 AM
I'm with Viking on the CZ. I have a CZ 462 American in 17 HMR, absolutely the best rimfire I've ever shot. I would not hesitate to get one in 22 WMR.

A Savage would be a close second. I've had a few Savage Mk IIs that we're awesome. If a 93 is anything like the Mk II you would not be disappointed. I believe they can be had for less as well.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...WMR+HB+TB+RAIL

I have the Mk II (22lr) version of the linked rifle. Threaded barrel and it'll make a nice package with a suppressor. ZGunner I really like that savage, just wish the barrel was longer then 16". Other then that its perfect.

zerobarrier
May 4, 2014, 02:40 AM
Reading these posts and others about 17hmr vs 22mag, I may change my mind and get a 17hmr. I can easily sell the bullets I got and buy 17's. I kind of like this one and it has everything I want, so I won't have to buy a different stock and send it out to be threaded.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/71748/Savage+93R17TRRSR+17HMR+THREADEDBBL

What do you guys think? Will the 17 be just fine for groundhogs and paper out to 100yards and on occasion just paper out to 200yards?

ZGunner
May 4, 2014, 02:58 AM
17 HMR is a heck of a round. I don't think you would have any problems with that rifle. I've taken my 17 out to about 75 yards with ~1" 5 round groups. Impact on small creatures makes for very quick humane kills.

Though I'm not sure what a suppressor would do for a round going that fast. I don't have any experience with suppressed 17s. I can tell you standard velocity 22lr through a suppressor still has the loud crack of the bullet breaking the sound barrier.

chicharrones
May 4, 2014, 10:48 AM
The reason I am getting a 22mag is I recently was given about 1000rds of cci 22mag so I would like something to shoot them with. Plus 22mag, at least in my area, is available where as 22lr is not.

Thanks in advance for any info

What kind of CCI? Maxi-Mag or V-Max?

Their V-Max is almost as good an ammo as Hornady's V-Max out of my .22 Mag rifle.

GunNut
May 4, 2014, 04:12 PM
CZ 452

Here's mine in .17hmr that I recently had threaded so that I could use my SWR Spectre II.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/stmcelroy/Guns/09fe8303-11d4-4baf-9413-65bf7dd4aa8c_zps2b025abc.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/stmcelroy/media/Guns/09fe8303-11d4-4baf-9413-65bf7dd4aa8c_zps2b025abc.jpg.html)

dusty14u
May 4, 2014, 06:05 PM
This is my 93FVSS. It is a tackdriver out to 150yds. I have changed the scope to a Nikon ProStaff. This rifle has the accutrigger and the Boyds Varmint Stock. I had to enlarge the barrel inlet because of the bull barrel but it didn't take to long to do.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa119/dusty14u/shooter/GEDC0656_zpsb85afaa7.jpg (http://s201.photobucket.com/user/dusty14u/media/shooter/GEDC0656_zpsb85afaa7.jpg.html)

Furncliff
May 4, 2014, 06:27 PM
The new CZ455 model Varmint has a switch barrel system. You can buy them with multiple barrels or just add a barrel when you want to here is an article...http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f33/cz-455-varmint-review-92435/

d2wing
May 4, 2014, 10:06 PM
I like my CZ's, but the reviews have been very good for the new Ruger American Rifle in .22 Mag. I picked one up but do not have a report yet. I am way behind on shooting due to snow and rain. Quality seems a step up from Savage and maybe Marlin. Hopefully I can post accuracy results in a day or two.

Shanghai McCoy
May 4, 2014, 10:38 PM
I bought a Marlin in 22 mag and have been pleased with it's performance, fit and finish for a 200 buck rifle. (OK, 210 + tax...)
It seems to like the Hornady VMAX load best but shoots fine with the CCI and Winchester loads that I have.

greyling22
May 4, 2014, 10:49 PM
when I compared the cz and the savage I felt the cz was a clear winner, even at the higher price. It looked and felt like a real rifle, while the savage felt a little.....less. They still shoot great and I like the savage 110 a lot, but the 93 wasn't for me. Ruger's 77/22 was a fine rifle too, they just didn't make one in left hand.

22-rimfire
May 4, 2014, 10:56 PM
Since I want a CZ in 22 mag, that is the one I recommend. I have a Marlin right now and want a bit of an upgrade. When I find one with nice wood at a fair price, I'll buy it.

ole farmerbuck
May 4, 2014, 10:57 PM
I like my CZ's, but the reviews have been very good for the new Ruger American Rifle in .22 Mag. I picked one up but do not have a report yet. I am way behind on shooting due to snow and rain. Quality seems a step up from Savage and maybe Marlin. Hopefully I can post accuracy results in a day or two.
Snow? Rain?? It's so dry here that our rabbits carry water jugs!:)
I have both Savage and Ruger american. Both shoot excellent. I also have 2 Marlins 925? but have never had groups with them close to the Ruger or Savage. Heck come to think about it, I have 2 Savages. One fluted and the other heavy.

ole farmerbuck
May 4, 2014, 11:00 PM
By the way to the OP, In my opinion, you'll like the 22mag over the 17hmr. I have a Savage 17hmr and when taking the 17 and the 22mag to the p-dog town, the mag wins hands down.

Shanghai McCoy
May 4, 2014, 11:22 PM
I agree with ole farmerbuck. I went with the 22 because it has the heavier bullets and we have BIG coyotes here in Kansas.
Maybe I'll bait them in with bottled water..? :rolleyes:
;)

JR47
May 5, 2014, 07:40 AM
The older Marlins in .22 WMR, pre-Model 25MN, were the Model 782 and 783. Bolt action, the 782 was magazine equipped, the 783 tube fed. I own a 782, and, with ammo it likes, I get 1 MOA at 100 yds.

Your wallet will determine if a CZ, or even an Anschutz 1516D, will be the answer to "which rifle". Most people find .22 WMR rifles, even the less expensive ones, are more accurate than they are.

d2wing
May 5, 2014, 06:41 PM
I shot my Ruger All American today. I am not to thrilled with it. It would not feed and the sights were way off. The group was not very good either but since most of it was off paper it is hard to tell. Improperly assembled magazines is a known problem and other brands come with sights not regulated too. I will mount a scope at a later date and see how it groups.

ole farmerbuck
May 5, 2014, 11:04 PM
I shot my Ruger All American today. I am not to thrilled with it. It would not feed and the sights were way off. The group was not very good either but since most of it was off paper it is hard to tell. Improperly assembled magazines is a known problem and other brands come with sights not regulated too. I will mount a scope at a later date and see how it groups.
I had to tighten the spring also but Ruger is sending me a new one no charge. I didnt try it without a scope but with a scope, well pleased.

zerobarrier
May 5, 2014, 11:39 PM
OK so I just found out the YHM stinger I bought is not rated for 17HMR, so I guess I am back to 22wmr. I do like this one: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/90745/Savage+93FVSR+22WMR+HB+TB+RAIL because all I really have to do is add a scope, I don't have to send the barrel to get threaded. Now I wanted 21-24" barrel, will the 16" barrel hinder me to 100yards and below? Not sure how barrel length affects the 22wmr.

chicharrones
May 6, 2014, 09:08 AM
Search for Ballistics by the Inch and look up their numbers on .22WMR.

Also, I looked I at one of those polymer stocked Savages you show in the link and the thing I didn't like was the comb of the stock drops low for iron sight usage. It may need a cheek riser for scope usage. I know I would have needed a cheek riser for me.

zerobarrier
May 6, 2014, 11:29 PM
OK the 22mag won, at least for me. I bought a Marlin xt-22 22" stainless bull barrel today, I think it is model XT-22MVSR. It has an adjustable trigger so I will pull the trigger pull gauge out and adjust it to where I want it probably 2.5lbs if it will. It came with 2 mags too, 4rd and 7rd. I also just ordered some accessories for it, yay. A Boyd's SS Evolution stock with high gloss in Sky and a Mueller APV 4.5-14 silver. I think they will look real nice. Here is a pic of it now and I will post pics when it is all done in a few weeks. Luckily there is a local gunsmith that threads barrels and he said he could do it, but that won't be for a few months(won't have the suppressor until around October)

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=198073&stc=1&d=1399433541

ZGunner
May 6, 2014, 11:47 PM
That's a good lookin rifle. Good choice on stock and scope too. It makes me happy so see someone else get a Mueller. They're a good scope for a good price. I have one if the bigger Eradicators on my bull barrel .223 Rem 700. I couldn't ask for much more scope for $200.

zerobarrier
May 7, 2014, 02:53 AM
Yeah the reviews on it seem really good, especially with the rimfire crowd.

chicharrones
May 7, 2014, 09:11 AM
OK the 22mag won, at least for me. I bought a Marlin xt-22 22" stainless bull barrel today, I think it is model XT-22MVSR.

That's a mighty good lookin' all weather rifle! :cool:

thomis
May 7, 2014, 11:13 AM
You'll be happy with your Marlin. Like a few others have said, I got my Marlin 25MN when I was a kid and lots of PA groundhogs' bones are dust. I recently got it out and put it on my solid bench with sandbags to see what it would do at 100 yards and beyond. (I'm taking it on a dogtown hunt to use as a backup.) At 100 yards using CCI Maxi Mag 40 grain TMJ a 5 shot group was an inch low with a 35 yard zero. At 170 yards it was shooting about 13" low but still tight groups. Like others have said, it will do better in the wind than the 17 HMR.

skoro
May 7, 2014, 02:22 PM
I do know I would like one with a heavy barrel, no fluting,

Mine's like that; a CZ 452 Varmint with a Weaver RV-9 scope. Just about ideal.

loose noose
May 7, 2014, 04:34 PM
I have the Savage 93 FV, in a stainless bull barrel, installed in a Boyd Laminated grey colored stock with a Bushnell Elite nickel colored 3X9X 32 scope, it'll shoot moa at 100 yards all day using the Federal 40 grain solids, however it is very picky about the ammo it will shoot well.

Also tried the .17 however out here where the wind blows quite frequently, it just wouldn't hold for shots much over 50 yards. Do prefer the .22 Win Mag.

killian33
May 9, 2014, 05:46 AM
93FVSS - You can't beat the Accutrigger. Mine easily shoots sub 1 MOA (slightly) with the right ammo.

Pointshoot
May 10, 2014, 01:04 AM
OP congrats on the new Marlin rifle.

My 22mags are a CZ and Savage 93 (both models pictured in this thread by other guys). Let us know how your Marlin shoots for you.

And congrats on getting 1,000 rounds of ammo. That's quite a gift from someone.

I think I need to pull the 22 mags out and do more shooting with them. I'm not finding much of anything as far as 22LR ammo goes. Haven't had any problem with getting 22mag though.

zerobarrier
May 17, 2014, 05:12 PM
Ok so I got a chance to take it out back and sight it in. I fired 15rds, 5 to sight in, 5rds hornady v-max 30gr(target on left), and 5rds Winchester super-x 40gr HP(target on right). It looks like the v-maxs win. Targets were at 75yrds. Bipod only, no rear bag.
All in all I am very happy with this rifle.
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=198456&stc=1&d=1400361075

Here is a pic with the scope on it. I really like the Mueller APV, I think the glass is pretty clear especially for a $150 scope. Now all I am waiting for is my Boyds SS evolution stock.
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=198455&stc=1&d=1400361075

Radagast
May 18, 2014, 12:18 AM
Interesting, my results are the direct opposite through the CZ. Very tight groups with the Super X, scattered grouping with the V Max.

d2wing
May 18, 2014, 07:56 PM
Glad you got a gun and that you are happy with it. I called Ruger and they sent UPS to pick up my ARA. Hopefully it will be good, function and shoot well. It will be weeks before I get it back and can shoot it.

zerobarrier
May 18, 2014, 08:41 PM
Glad you got a gun and that you are happy with it. I called Ruger and they sent UPS to pick up my ARA. Hopefully it will be good, function and shoot well. It will be weeks before I get it back and can shoot it.
That sucks, I hate sending guns back to the manufacturer. They take forever. Remington has had my wifes R51 for about 6 weeks now. Hope it all works out for you.

dvdcrr
May 18, 2014, 11:45 PM
A nice one you dont hear much about...
http://www.sako.fi/sakoquad.php

d2wing
May 19, 2014, 03:30 PM
Those quads are nice. Hard to find though. I have only seen one once.

zerobarrier
May 19, 2014, 04:03 PM
The quads seem nice but they are very expensive. over $1000, and the target model with the fancy stock is around $2500. Not sure what the advantage is when my marlin i bought for $320 which has an adjustable trigger shoots 0.5" at 75 yards with hornady 30gr v-max's. I set my trigger at 3lbs and it has no over travel and is pretty crisp.

zerobarrier
May 22, 2014, 03:32 PM
Ok I got the boyds SS evolution stock in Sky today and put it on. I really like it. It was a drop in fit, just need two different screws and a trigger guard. I also had a dragon engraved on it and did the 90 degree high gloss finish for the fun of it.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=198679&stc=1&d=1400786997

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=198680&stc=1&d=1400787057

The dragon, my daughter pick it out, she has been on a "How to train your dragon" kick - its a movie for those of you that don't know.
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=198681&stc=1&d=1400787057

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=198682&stc=1&d=1400787057

If you enjoyed reading about "Looking to get a 22mag bolt rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!