M28-76 Finnish Target Rifle

PDA

wormwood202
May 6, 2014, 10:46 AM
Hey....Any Finnish Folk out there? I am looking for any input on the M28-76 Finnish Target rifle. I recently purchased one in excellent shape and it is engraved with 7.62x54r caliber. I have a couple of Mossins and enjoy shooting them, same caliber of course. My question is this. The Finnish rifle will not chamber the 54r round, it is a millimeter to long. This rifle is chambered for the 53r round. I bought a box from LUPUA and they fit fine. Then I bought a box of new 54r ammo and had the same problem. I am having real difficulty in getting any background on this piece. Do I have a sniper rifle? is this normal for the M28-76. Thanks...

If you enjoyed reading about "M28-76 Finnish Target Rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
deadin
May 6, 2014, 11:01 AM
Will it chamber an empty 7.62x54R case?
The 54 vs. 53 is based on case length, not over-all length. Could be that the Finns shorten the "free-bore" in order to require the bullet to engage the rifling sooner. Less bullet "jump" before it starts down the barrel is generally considered a plus for accuracy, but it will cause more effort to chamber if the OAL is on the high side.
(i.e. tighter tolerances required when setting OAL.)

hso
May 6, 2014, 09:25 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.62x53mmR

Apparently Lapua makes their ammunition to fit either chambering.

LAGS
May 6, 2014, 11:54 PM
J&G sales in Prescott Az. had a pair of 28/76 rifles a few years back.
They were asking $800.00 Ea and last I saw them on there site they had dropped to just above $600.00.
Check and see if they might still have them.
They are great rifles, but just not that popular.

If you enjoyed reading about "M28-76 Finnish Target Rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!