Blue Dot powder and the .223

PDA

Clark
April 5, 2004, 02:39 PM
There is a web site that talks about this:
http://www.jamescalhoon.com/

I have tried it, and 10 gr Blue Dot with 60 gr moly coated bullet gives 2050 fps.
This is a very wimpy load, and could be loaded much hotter before pressure signs looked like factory ammo.
This costs me 9.5 cents a shot, and is quiet as a 17 HMR and keeps the barrel just as cool.

These Blue Dot loads mean I don't need to buy a 22 Hornet.

If you enjoyed reading about "Blue Dot powder and the .223" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
swifter
April 5, 2004, 04:58 PM
Those Blue Dot loads are extremely positional, elevate the muzzle and bump the stock before each shot to keep 'em consistant. There's been a couple of serious KBs with 'em recently, from guys just totally certain they could apply this to other rounds... They are pretty safe in the .222/.223 family of cases as long as you pay attention to keeping the powder next to the primer. These are not low pressure loads, be careful.:scrutiny:

Tom

popbang
April 5, 2004, 09:38 PM
For reduced loads in my .222 I use 2400. In the past that was a powder used for wide range of loads, but with the variety now for lighter loads in pistols there are better choices. In a rifle it proves to be a good powder to down load with.

Okiecruffler
April 6, 2004, 09:55 PM
I've been using bluedot with 45 gr bullets in my Contender. Constant subMOA 5shot groups and recoil on par with a 22hornet.

Phattitude
August 26, 2004, 11:39 PM
I have been shooting BD in my 243 win and my 338 WM for a while now and it works very well for me.

I use 22.5 grains in the 243 under 70 grain bullets

36 grains in my 338WM under 200 grain NBT

If you enjoyed reading about "Blue Dot powder and the .223" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!