Powder Load Creep on Dillon 550

PDA

chiltech500
May 8, 2014, 07:38 AM
I have found currently that my Dillon 550 powder load creeps up .2 grains from my initial careful setting. I have been checking measurements because I am using a chrono to check different powders, loads and primer size. I have observed this happening as soon as 5-6 cases after my intial load measurements. My setup of the initial load involves at least 5-6 re-measurements before I am satisfied it's consistent. (oh this is 45acp btw)

I had not really ever checked before so I don't know if this was always the case or a recent development (I have loaded well over 6K rounds in the last 9 mos).

I am wondering if this could be affected by my stroke,which has been quite herky-jerky. I am using a new batch of cases that someone wet washed (different thread) which has caused some sticking from the belling portion of the powder funnel station (I have that partially solved with lube).

If you enjoyed reading about "Powder Load Creep on Dillon 550" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Bud0505
May 8, 2014, 08:08 AM
Is it creeping up .2 grains and then stabilizing? If so I would say that 5-6 re-measurements is not enough. Personally I throw 10-15 loads when adjusting my 550 powder measure. A herky-jerky stroke will definitely affect the quality of your reloads. Might want to try using a little bit of lube on those wet washed pieces of brass.

mackg
May 8, 2014, 08:13 AM
Yes, vibrations, shakes and shocks will settle the powder. You can usually already see a difference between checking the measure alone and regular press operation.

cfullgraf
May 8, 2014, 10:41 AM
I run 20-25 charges through my powder measures, including the Dillon powder measures on my SDbs, before I even consider weighing the first charge. This is to insure the powder column has settled.

On the progressives, I simulate the powder drop as seen during operating to make sure the extra vibrations and knocking do not upset the amount of the powder drop.

chiltech500
May 8, 2014, 04:32 PM
cfullgraf, I don't quite understand. Are you saying that when you want a new weight load, you will run 20-25 measurements before you are ready to actually start a production run and weigh the 1st charge?

Blue68f100
May 8, 2014, 05:24 PM
What he is trying to say is that you need to run a min of 20 drops before you check to see what your dropping. I normally will tap on the dispenser to settle it down first then do 20+ drops then check. Then I will start adj the dispense. After any adj I do another 5 before checking. Once every thing settles down it should be good if your using a powder that meters accurately, aka ball type powders.

Oldgoat03
May 8, 2014, 06:54 PM
Certainly inconsistent strokes will affect powder drops. With consistent strokes on my 550 and SBD I get consistent powder drops fairly quickly. I begin weighing after about 5 drops and find things typically consistent by the 10th drop. I have weighed many more in the past and found no more than .1 gr variance when off at all. I use W231/HP38, WST, Titegoup and BE which all meter well and of course visually inspect each case prior to placing bullet. I also spot check weight when in production. I have not experimented much yet with other powders.

Just my experience.

OG03

cfullgraf
May 8, 2014, 10:31 PM
What he is trying to say is that you need to run a min of 20 drops before you check to see what your dropping. I normally will tap on the dispenser to settle it down first then do 20+ drops then check. Then I will start adj the dispense. After any adj I do another 5 before checking. Once every thing settles down it should be good if your using a powder that meters accurately, aka ball type powders.

A better description of setting up the powder measure than mine.

I hope things are clearer now.

angus6
May 8, 2014, 10:52 PM
one of these straped the the powder measure tube will help it
http://www.amazon.com/Trojan-Multi-Os-Waterproof-Vibrating-Bullet/dp/B00HO1JFBI/ref=sr_sp-btf_title_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1399603806&sr=8-9&keywords=vibrating+bullet

Wreck-n-Crew
May 9, 2014, 08:44 PM
one of these straped the the powder measure tube will help it
http://www.amazon.com/Trojan-Multi-O...brating+bullet small electric motor like the ones out of an old tape deck, power supply, heat shaft of motor and melt into button hole (offset) tape/attach to measure...wallah! Or you could send the better half into Walgreens...:D

km101
May 9, 2014, 11:38 PM
Do you have a powder baffle in your measure? If not, I would get one as I have found that a baffle in any of my measures improves accuracy and consistency.

I normally run 10-15 charges and then start checking weights. After I am sure that the measure has stabilized on the correct weight I will load 10 rounds and re-check the weight. I check every 10 rounds for the first 50 and then I load the batch. I re-check if there is a stoppage or if I spot a discrepancy.

Walkalong
May 10, 2014, 09:18 AM
I have found currently that my Dillon 550 powder load creeps up .2 grains from my initial careful setting................... I have observed this happening as soon as 5-6 cases after my intial load measurements. My setup of the initial load involves at least 5-6 re-measurements before I am satisfied it's consistentSome powders take more than 5 or 6 drops before settling down. I like to do at least 10 drops first. Some settle almost immediately, but some take 10 plus drops.

chiltech500
May 10, 2014, 11:02 AM
Thanks guys. I am following your advice. I am attributing the advancing creep to the rough strokes with the wet washed cases before I started using lube.

PMac_
May 11, 2014, 12:50 AM
I bought a 550 about a week and a half ago and when I went to load my first small batch of .223 using CFE 223 my loads were all over the place, as much as .5 grains high. Needless to say I was very concerned and while I didn't think it was a problem with the machine or the powder being used I knew that it could do WAY better. I spent a few days reading through all the Dillon 550B forum posts on Dillon's site. Most common solutions were, when pushing forward on the handle to seat a primer, make sure the blue wing nut compresses at least half way. Run about 20 charges to stabilize the powder colum before weighing charges. Also push down on the shell plate between stations 2 and 3, where the ball bearing is, and make sure there is no movement. Store your powder measure with a dryer sheet in it. Keep the hopper at least half full. Also suggested was to cut an inch wide strip of dryer sheet and stick in the powder measure until it reaches the metal bowl then secure to the outside of the hopper with some tape.
The only one I didn't try was the dryer sheet strip in the hopper with the tape. I poured in my powder and ran the handle about 20 times to settle the powder then weighed a charge, it was on the money! Weighed nine more charges and only two were off, one light by .1 grain and one light by .2 grains. It was a great day to be a hand loader.
Good luck!

chiltech500
May 20, 2014, 01:57 PM
Gotta say thanks for the info PMac and others. I find all is well now, after running 20 or so charges before settling on the final weight - every time I re-check the weight during production it stays pretty right on target.

stubbicatt
May 20, 2014, 03:31 PM
I found that the micrometer addition to the charge bar seems to make it easier to find and keep a given setting. Like the others I recommend throwing a few charges before determining that you have found the right setting.

Another thing I found is that by following the advice of Hoser on polishing the powder funnel part of the powder measure I get far more consistency in my loads. He posted it here on the Firing Line several years ago. It only takes a few minutes and the difference in the consistency of your loads must be seen to be believed. It is my unsubstantiated belief that the light flakes of small charges of pistol powder hang up and sort of stick to the as manufactured surface of that part of your powder measure.

MifflinKid
May 20, 2014, 03:41 PM
I always shake my Dillon powder measure for ten to fifteen seconds after pouring in the powder. This allows the powder to settle more evenly though out the measure. I then drop
five to ten cases before measuring one.

If you enjoyed reading about "Powder Load Creep on Dillon 550" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!