Is there a loophole in the gun laws for internet buyers?

PDA

SteelyDan
December 27, 2002, 10:50 PM
A buddy told me today he ran across a web site where some sellers (apparently private parties) were selling firearms directly to buyers in other states, without going through an FFL. We were both pretty sure the seller was violating one or more federal laws, but we didn't know if the buyer was also violating any laws. Does anyone know the answer? And no, I'm not thinking about doing it (in fact my buddy sent the seller an email directing him to the ATF website), but I am curious.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is there a loophole in the gun laws for internet buyers?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Gordon
December 27, 2002, 11:10 PM
I tried everything to get a XP100R in .35 rem I won for $400 into Ca. to no avail. of course it had to go thru dealers. I tried to go thru out of state dealers,but no dice if I wasnt resident. Like the Man said" the only free lunch is Jesus".:(

Preacherman
December 27, 2002, 11:30 PM
Moved to Gun Laws & Regulations.

Hkmp5sd
December 28, 2002, 12:57 AM
ยง 178.29 Out-of-State acquisition of firearms by nonlicensees.

No person, other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer,
licensed dealer, or licensed collector, shall transport into or receive in the State where the person resides (or if a corporation or other business entity, where it maintains a place of business) any firearm purchased or otherwise obtained by such person outside that State :

SteelyDan
December 28, 2002, 04:54 AM
Thanks for the info. I suspected there was a law like that, but just hadn't heard of it before.

M1911
December 28, 2002, 02:15 PM
Federal Gun Control Act of 1968 -- they're committing a federal felony: http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/

instantkarma
December 29, 2002, 11:25 PM
isn't that 10 years and a 100,000 fine?

G-Raptor
January 9, 2003, 07:04 PM
I wish we could eliminate the word "Loophole" from rational conversation. :mad:

jimmy
January 11, 2003, 07:24 AM
Every gun I've bought off the Internet came from an FFL and actually generated more Federal paperwork than one of my local purchases, in that a copy of the local dealer's FFL had to go to the seller and a copy of the seller's FFL had to go to the local dealer. Plus of course I had to do the usual paperwork when I picked a gun up.

BTW, I can't say these purchases have been hugely successful for me as far as the condition of the guns is concerned. The seller's descriptions and photos are truthful as far as they go, but they don't tell the whole story. Other purchasers may have better luck. :rolleyes:

If you enjoyed reading about "Is there a loophole in the gun laws for internet buyers?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!