How many of ya'll caught the "imminent threat of attack on American soil" warning?

PDA

geekWithA.45
February 5, 2003, 07:05 PM
Yep, something pretty close to those words where spoken today, on CNN, about an hour after Powell's presentation, with the speculation that an attack might be planned to coincide with the Iraqi press conference.

They even had a big red banner on the website for about 1/2 hr.

Call me alarmist, but I actually put the first phase of my SHTF planning into play, filling the tubs, loading weapons, and so forth.

Was it a realistic response? Where terrorists really gonna strike in rural NJ?

Not likely at all. And I knew it.

So, why'd I bother?

The reason was largely symbolic, but more than anything else, America is MY country, and this is MY home, (even if it is in NJ) and I WILL defend it, from any and all adversaries.

I guess, at the risk of being labelled a paranoid whacko, is that I'm saying that it' s time for Americans to remember to their dual yeoman/warrior roots.

Anybody else fill their tubs today? ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "How many of ya'll caught the "imminent threat of attack on American soil" warning?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Lone_Gunman
February 5, 2003, 07:11 PM
Well, I didnt do anything.

My government would never let anything bad happen to me.

NewShooter78
February 5, 2003, 07:13 PM
Fill the tub? I didn't even hear the warning. I guess if you feel the need to do it, then that's your perogative (sp?). As long as you don't bust out the tin foil hats, I think you're ok for the time being. :neener:

Still Learning
February 5, 2003, 07:14 PM
Being prepared is never a bad idea. At the very worst, you'll feel foolish for filling the tubs.

We have our emergency water supply secured. Food as well.

Yes, they are going to hit us again, in my opinion. My state's National Guard leadership believes this as well. America is at war. Our enemy is different than any in the past.

We will win. But it's going to cost us. I'm afraid the bulk of the American people do not understand exactly what we are in for.

larry_minn
February 5, 2003, 08:01 PM
Not a bad idea to do a few things every time they give the warning. I.E. Buy a few jugs of drinking water that are sealed. Pick up some food that keeps well and requires little prep. Then look at personal meds that you need. Try to stock up on some extra so you have a few months of whatever you need daily. Plan to buy stuff in bulk when it is cheaper and store some of it.

benEzra
February 5, 2003, 09:04 PM
I used to wonder if I was paranoid for keeping a couple dozen gallons of drinking water on hand in a closet. Then a hurricane hit and we lost our water for a week. Boy, was I glad I had some on hand.

It's cheap insurance.

bE

BlackArrow
February 5, 2003, 09:13 PM
They're here, they're already smearing germs on cruise ships (gotta wonder why on that one) and I think Bush is going after the source in Iraq while trying to track down the ones in the US. I point to the behavior difference in Mr. Blair after his briefing. Before he was mister liberal live and let live, all of the sudden he's trying to be Maggie on steroids (she's still got bigger balls). I get several news sources and it is amazing how much is going on in England these days. I'm still questioning the "hoof-n-mouth" outbreak there several years ago. Can you imagine the public in America if Bush were to go public and say "we have evidence that on X date so and so brought a suitcase nuclear bomb into NY city, or X powder into Atlanta"? Use the Boy scout motto and be prepared and pray I'm wrong!:(

10-Ring
February 5, 2003, 09:29 PM
Yeah, I heard it on the radio on my way home. Bought a few extra supplies for the pantry & said a couple extra prayers for those in harms way

Harold Mayo
February 5, 2003, 10:00 PM
I might have had some SMALL cause to be a little concerned while I was living in Indianapolis but now, living in rural Arkansas, I am QUITE at ease that I am nowhere near any target that might be of interest to terrorists.

Selfdfenz
February 5, 2003, 10:08 PM
But then I never pay attention to anything CNN has to say about anything.

If the BGs amongst us are going to cause a stink why would it be today? Powell's speech does not compute.

If they were going to do something wouldn't it be when or after we actually start wailing on the soon-to-be-even-more-desert-like Iraq?

S-

foghornl
February 6, 2003, 10:11 AM
Didn't see the warning. I already have emergency food/water/petrol in place. Putting loose ammo into strippers and en-blocs, though.

We will never know, but I still wonder of plane #4 on 9-11-01 was being aimed at the Perry, OH nuclear power plant? ? ?
That would have been huge...taking out power for NE Ohio and probably some of NW Pennsylvania, plus contaminating Lake Erie.

rick_reno
February 6, 2003, 10:36 AM
fill the tub? not me, I took a shower...

denfoote
February 6, 2003, 03:09 PM
Damn!! I miss all the good stuff!! All this must have happened while I was asleep!!!! Everything happens while I am asleep!! Why can't they schedule any of this at night, while I'M awake!!! :rolleyes:

George Hill
February 6, 2003, 03:23 PM
I was IN the tub reading a book. Missed the warning.

Being in Utah, I'm pretty safe.

Crap. In two weeks I'll be in Virginia. I had best be on the look out when I get there.

bogie
February 6, 2003, 03:28 PM
Actually, I think that we're far more likely to see "smaller" operations than use of "weapons of mass destruction." I can see these guys fielding some relatively small teams to take over areas with large quantities of people, such as what happened with that theater in Russia a while back. Imagine what a half dozen trained and dedicated "martyrs" could accomplish in a grade school, a shopping mall, etc... Imagine a propane or gasoline tanker being detonated in a "downtown" area. Imagine an OK City size bomb, only it's not next to an 8-10 story building, but one that's over 50 stories high...

Think low-tech.

Chaz
February 6, 2003, 07:02 PM
Maybe the mass posting of this billboard all over the middle east would change the tone....

Chipperman
February 6, 2003, 10:39 PM
At the risk of escalating the Paranoid to the brink of Hysterical...

I think there is a good chance that WHEN the terrorists attack again on our soil, it will be in the "Heartland". They want EVERY American to be in fear, not just those in the Big City. I think that there will be widespread small attacks, many of them in small "Anytown, USA".

This is all the more reason for every American to be prepared. I do not believe that our society will crumble, but I also do not blindly think I am perfectly safe just because I don't live closer to Boston.

Rebel Gunman HK
February 6, 2003, 11:15 PM
There are no warnings

SodaPop
February 6, 2003, 11:17 PM
Bin Laden's thugs have been sitting on the side lines waiting for the "GO" sign (the invasion of Iraq) to do their deed. We've been stalling so many times in the last year that I knew we weren't going to invade Iraq. Sadam is setting up for a major suicide strategy and I bet he'll just Anthrax his own people if we move on them. We'll either keep the pressure on Iraq (like we have been) or we'll nuke them. They ain't going down in a kindly fashion. Even if 90% of the Iraqi army surrenders.

Al Qaeda is realizing we aren't going to invade Iraq so they're going to start hitting us.

North Korea is sweating it out because we have so much stuff floating around between the Pacific ocean and the Persian Gulf. They don't like the idea we have so much stuff in the region. I seriously wonder if North Korea already sold nukes to some of the middle east countries. I think there is something much deeper going on with North Korea. I think they know we are on to them.

swingset
February 7, 2003, 12:35 AM
I'd rather prepare for things that are likely to happen than imagined threats or ones that in reality are very remote in chance...

Heath emergencies, household emergencies, loss of job, injury, etc. I've never been hit with a scud, but I have been through lots of things around the house I should have prepared for.

I bet if all of us 1 year from now wrote down what happened to us personally in the last year, there will be alot of personal FUBAR's are not one single terrorist issue that we needed to have a "bug out bag" or tub filled with water for.

Of course I could be wrong, but I seldom am. :D

4thHorseman
February 7, 2003, 12:41 AM
The terrorists have already hit the People's Republic of New Jersey. They have successfully taken over all Senate and House of Representatives seats. Were have you guys been? Haven't you noticed?

F=ma
February 7, 2003, 07:57 AM
Chipperman said:
I think there is a good chance that WHEN the terrorists attack again on our soil, it will be in the "Heartland".
Did anyone catch Gary Hart on Fox's morning show a few weeks back? After discussing the security panel on which he recently served, he concluded that the next attack would be in the "heart" of the country, probably Cleveland, Denver, and Dallas. When he actually named cities the way he did, out of the blue, I was shocked....I haven't seen him on any programs since.

M1911
February 7, 2003, 08:06 AM
Yup, I heard it. No, I haven't done anything differently. I always have bottled water and extra food in the basement. I may crank up the generator this weekend though, and get more gas for it.

Delmar
February 7, 2003, 08:27 AM
Well, so far, the terrorists have left a lot of clues as to what their intentions were-unfortunately, our government was not looking in their direction. Hope that has changed, although from looking at our border security, I guess they expect the BG's to try and sneak through with a big "T" tattooed on their foreheads.

God forbid they would try it, but I think they might be in for a big surprise if they try to hold a theatre full of people hostage down here like they did in Russia-sure, stand up there on the stage and announce your filth! It would take about two seconds to turn a bambi flick into a shooting range.

Just keep in mind these dirt bags won't try to hit us where we are lookin-only where we are not. As it is, I keep the truck above 3/4 of a tank-food and water are on board, cell phone charged, field gear is packed and ready to go.

ladder15
February 7, 2003, 10:25 AM
This just posted on CNN at 10:22 PM EST...

SodaPop
February 7, 2003, 11:02 AM
People!!

We've been hit with about a dozen terrorist attacks since Sept 11th.

I'm still amazed that people think we haven't been hit by anything.

Carbon_15
February 7, 2003, 03:43 PM
They're here, they're already smearing germs on cruise ships

That Norwalk Virus is NO JOKE. Me and my whole family has been excruciatingly ill with it for the last week. I just heard on the news that 63% of the local school children were out sick with the virus. Not really sure that its a terrorist attack, but whatever caused the outbreak..its working, but good.

BerettaNut92
February 7, 2003, 03:48 PM
What's this business with filling tubs?

Carbon_15
February 7, 2003, 03:58 PM
What's this business with filling tubs?
If you live in an area with well's and septic tanks, as oposed to city water and sewer lines, when the power goes out, so does the water. From the time I was a child, it has been common practice to fill the tubs when a big storm is on the way...so You can flush to toilet when the power is out by manualy refilling the tank. We also filled the sinks for drinking water.

cslinger
February 7, 2003, 04:06 PM
A tub full of water provides quite a bit of emergency fresh water should you need it and provides a nice basin in the house for it. All that and it is easy to do and you can get rid of the water easily.

Not a bad idea actually.

We will get hit, probably won't be anything as grand as 9/11 for quite some time but we are being and will continue to be hit in smaller ways. Disrupting a society isn't just about huge death tolls and in many cases may not involve death at all. Just think about how cranky we would all be if we couldn't shower for a couple of weeks or if we had to go without power for extended periods of time. It would suck, unless you are from California and used to it.:D

I always keep a small supply of food, water, ammo, fire makers, flashlights, beer, etc. not just because of terrorist attack but for anything from an ice storm to a bomb. You cannot prepare to be blown up. If it is going to happen it is going to happen and there is not much you can do about it. You can have things such as knives, flashlights, first aid etc, close by at all times just in case you are near by or in the middle of it but live. You will find that you will use these things way more than you would ever expect and will probably not realize how you ever lived without them. I think I would be more worried if I lived in a symbolically critical area like DC, New York, Chicago etc. Let's face it Rattlesnake Gulch, New Mexico just doesn't make good national headlines for the rest of your Terrorist buddies to read. Now Dallas, maybe, New York, now your getting at the great Satan, Pisskatoon, Iowa I don't think so.

Chris

SodaPop
February 7, 2003, 04:35 PM
We have about 8inches of snow on the ground in my area. No need to fill tubs. We'll just eat snow. Uh, not the yellow snow.

Loach
February 7, 2003, 05:27 PM
Any coincidence that responsibility for recommending a threat level to the administration was passed from the FBI to the Dept. of Homeland Security TODAY, the same day the threat level was raised? I wonder if they're just flexing their muscles?

Selfdfenz
February 7, 2003, 05:59 PM
Heard Ridge and Ashcroft on the radio live.
They mentioned the date March xteeth as the tentative end date for this alert unless (I guess) we actually get hit or by magic kill all the BGs everywhere in the World before that date.

I see this a run up to what's about to happen long-about the 28th of the month in Iraq. (Dark of the Moon)
The gov would be neglectful if they went forward in Iraq and did nothing to put people on alert here at home because the attack in Iraq would be a good time for sleeper cells here to start raising uknowhat in response. I see the alert as a 2-3 week advance notice of the Iraq attack and to get us all watching for open action that might point to an internal terrorist attack.

The text if the alert is already on the net if you care too explore.

It mentions individuals traveling overseas and "soft" targets in the US among other things.

S-

Drjones
February 7, 2003, 07:08 PM
Fill the tubs?

What for?:confused:

Nevermind....

I read the posts a few above....:rolleyes: :D

Turkey Creek
February 8, 2003, 10:28 PM
Jeeze, sounds like the ragheads have already won- Filling your tub with water sounds like a very short term benefit and most of that, only making you feel like you are doing something- when paranoia sets in we've got bigger things to worry about than another attack- now filling the tub with beer might not be a bad idea though :D

Blue Jays
February 9, 2003, 03:29 AM
Good Morning All-

All the FReepers (http://www.FreeRepublic.com) here know that this situation is vey series and it's time to take a shower! ;)

We've made no changes to our day-to-day schedule. My family has plenty of food, water, ammunition, medicine, and other supplies available.

Regards,

~ Blue Jays ~

labgrade
February 9, 2003, 03:32 AM
Sillyness.

Wash out your dumped 2-liter Coke bottles & fill 'em up with water - stash 'em & have a few on-hand. Only prudent, & always have a coupla weeks worth of food on-hand.

If you're relying on The Newzies to be prepared = you aren't.

Loading ammo is dumb. Have some at hand - no doubt, but don't go stupid.

But, I always have something on-hand simply because we live in somewhat of a violent society - nope, certaintly not the worse, but enough for me to be prepared. You?

We have a worst-case domestic terrorists everyday - we call it inner-city crime.

Granted, a terr-attack could cause a greater cause for alarm, but we really already do live within that .....

If you live in an inner-city & haven't already prepardfor a worst=case, you're not living in the real world.

Kahr carrier
February 9, 2003, 04:40 AM
Nope ,But it never hurts to be ready for anything in life.:)

sixgun_symphony
February 10, 2003, 01:08 AM
I already got a full pantry and have bottled water 'cause I don't like drinking the tap water.

Guns & Ammo? No problem for anyone on this forum.

The only thing I might do different is to get a first-aid kit for the jeep in case I come across people that need help.

AmericanFreeBird
February 10, 2003, 11:28 AM
Well, I did notice one thing different on CNN this weekend. The pictures they show of Nat'l guard troops strolling through the airports etc. I always take note of their equipment, guns, ammo belts etc. They had something new that I've not seen before:

GAS MASKS!

:what:

If you enjoyed reading about "How many of ya'll caught the "imminent threat of attack on American soil" warning?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!