Estate shotshells?

PDA

Drjones
April 6, 2004, 01:05 AM
Hi.

I'd kinda like to have some more ammo around the house and tonight I saw that big 5 has 25 packs of Estate shotgun shells on sale for less than $5.

1) Are those good quality shells to have around just in case (not as primary defensive ammo of course...more like just to make me feel comfortable after seeing Dawn of the Dead. ;) ) and for general target shooting? They're not corrosive or anything, are they?

2) Is $4.69 or so a good price for 25 of them?

Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Estate shotshells?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dave McCracken
April 6, 2004, 06:14 AM
Estate's good ammo. It's a sister company to Kent. The price is OK, not a whip out the plastic, buy all they have price but OK.

Non corrosive, but cleaning's still crucial.

kudu
April 6, 2004, 07:00 AM
The estate ammo we buy at our club is about $4.15 a box, but is not very reloadable, just cheap. Tends do be a dirty burning powder, but shoots well.

Our local Gander Mt. has AA, and Rem. STS's on sale for $4.49 right now IIRC. And I believe Dick's Sporting goods have them also for that price. Very high quality and if you don't reload them you can sell them for 2 to 4 cents a piece to reloaders.

Devonai
April 6, 2004, 08:20 AM
I bought 500 rounds of 00 Buck for Y2K. It took me awhile to blast it all after the world didn't end, and I never had any problems. Seems like good ammo to me.

April 6, 2004, 08:49 AM
I took a defensive shotgun class at Frontsight and a defensive shotgun class at Gunsite. Both rangemasters for both classes specifically mentioned Estate buckshot as being the best or one of the top couple buckshot loads made.
At Frontsight, the instructor even mentioned buying Estate buckshot to sort of rig the final skills test. He mentioned that if we had broght a buckshot load that didn't pattern very good, we might want to consider going to the pro shop and buying a box of five rounds of Estate buck for the portion of the finals skills test where you have a hostage target and have to hold off to avoid hitting the hostage. He menioned using Estate buck because he said that it seems to give very good paterns in all the guns he has ever tried it in and almost never has fliers.
At Gunsite, Louis Awerbuck said almost the same thing.
We all tried it (to prove his point, at Frontsight the Rangemaster gave everyone a couple rounds of Estate to try when we were patterning our guns.) and I think everyone agreed that it shot a tigher and more uniform pattern than whatever we brought with us. In my case, Winchester.

For me, that is good enough, If both these guys said Estate was the best or one of the best brands of, buckshot out there. These guys see hundreds if not thousands of students come through their classes each one of which fires hundreds of rounds of buckshot. They get to see hundreds if not thousands of guns patterned a year. They KNOW what the good stuff is and both mentioned Estate by name.

If I knew a good source for it, I would buy a couple cases of Estate buckshot and be using it for primary defense ammo.
Is buck what Big 5 is selling ?

Joshua Hutchison
April 6, 2004, 12:54 PM
Is the sellior & belliot buck shot good? you know the clear stuff?

Duke of Lawnchair
April 6, 2004, 01:38 PM
Is the sellior & belliot buck shot good? you know the clear stuff?

I received meager results with the S&B 00buck.

Patterns were VERY loose and were not consistent from cartridge to cartridge.

In other words, they were "all over the place" when shot through mine and my girlfriend's shotguns.

Jim

Fred Fuller
April 6, 2004, 07:32 PM
Josh,

My results with S&B 00 buck were pretty much the same as the Duke's. If you really need a scattergun, just load S&B and you'll have one. Sometimes you really DO need a scattergun, and having S&B in the ammo supply is worthwhile for that. Stuff smells like a mattress burning when you shoot it, too.

Dr. J,

Is that buckshot or birdshot? The 'old' Estate 00 buck was tops, IMHO. Old as when it was manufactured in Texas. But the company has changed hands twice since then, and I have been told the 'new' Estate is not up to the old standard. I have not bought any to test yet myself so this is pure hearsay. Before I backed up the truck and loaded it down, I would buy a box and pattern it first just to be on the safe side. And dissect a round while you are at it, if you do not find a really long plastic shotcup with nine 00 hard lead pellets and a big bunch of granulated plastic buffer material- well, the people who wound up owning the company changed it.

As to price, Cheaper Than Dirt lists it for $3.89 a box of _ten_...

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/product.asp?dept%5Fid=204004&sku=50389&imgid=&mscssid=HB030N3VKGVV9G8V4KA2WUB744KA78A4

...and they had it cheaper than that when it was on sale. If they put it on sale again... .

For more info on the above (somewhat dated now, tho) see:
http://www.no-treason.com/laissezfirearm/etat00rr.htm
http://www.no-treason.com/laissezfirearm/buckshot.htm
http://www.no-treason.com/laissezfirearm/870full.htm
-and if you happen to like Mark's stuff, see the page at
http://www.no-treason.com/laissezfirearm/ . There's nothing new because Mark isn't with us any more, a friend keeps the page up as a memorial.

lpl

Joshua Hutchison
April 6, 2004, 07:36 PM
Thanks for the answers:D .......Might have to get some of that stuff to play with, even if it doesnt pattern great.;)

Aneat
April 6, 2004, 08:20 PM
Speaking of Buckshot; I just got 250 rounds of Speer Lawman 00 buck from Ammoman for $100.00 and free shipping. It actually patterns just a bit tighter than the Texas made Estate stuff that I was running low on.

Not a screaming deal but if you are in the need for some it would be worth a try.

Adam

Duke of Lawnchair
April 7, 2004, 03:34 AM
Stuff smells like a mattress burning when you shoot it, too.

So that's what a burning mattress smells like.

GUNSMOKE45441
April 7, 2004, 08:47 AM
I just bought 2 flats of Estates for $35.00 ea. at Sportsmans Warehouse
thats w/tax.
Good shooting shells.

Gunsmoke 45441

Tom Held
April 7, 2004, 09:34 AM
I recently bought two flats of Estate 410 shells. Wish I could take them back. This is dirtiest ammo I have ever fired, the hulls split and sometimes break completely at the base. I have to check the barrels after every shot to make certain there are no hull pieces left. By the time you finish two rounds of skeet your hands are black and the shotgun is a mess. The 410 loads are not equivalent to the Federal Gold, Winchester AA, or Remingtons. There is a big difference in quality between Estate and Kent cartridges. Price is great but you get what you pay for.

sm
April 7, 2004, 10:26 AM
Never tried Estate.

I stayed with the Win the most. A friend had and did the Fed components, we reloaded for each other - helped out to save on components. Fiocchi is a great load, good components and reloaded well for me using Win components.
I also used the Peters and Rem, reloaded those.

Active was "interesting" weird to reload tho'...hard to get stuff here to do so.

I tried S&B a few times ,limited experience...still not used to seeing the innards. Heck I had enough problems finding red hulls in the grass at times...:p

Been using some old .410 Fiocchi in a single bbl...tell you what that 3" with # 7.5 and H&R single shot ...really patterns well. The short ( 2 3/4") Fiocchi in skeet loads never failed me out of a Citori skeet gun. Fiocchi uses some good components IME.

Estate sounds like the old "dot powders"...messy.

Federal had ( dunno if still do) #8.5 shot in a .410 2 /34 " ..."sporting clay load" we called it ...now I had great results with that. I went to # 8.5 shot in reloading the .410 - never regretted it. Clays, dove and quail fell...that's all I could ask for.

If you enjoyed reading about "Estate shotshells?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!