How old are you, and what's your favorite kind of handgun?

PDA

460Kodiak
May 25, 2014, 12:57 PM
Hello friends and neighbors,

I see many threads on THR that have a theme of "Which is better, semi's or revolvers?" and there are typically a lot of good points brought up that show the strengths and weaknesses of both types of guns. It also happens with metal vs polymer gun discussions.

This is not one of those threads.

I also see lots of threads that reflect a general sense that older shooters often prefer and enjoy revolvers more than younger folks do overall.

This is not one of those threads either.

I'm just curious where people's affections are based on type of gun and age. Let's try to put arguments about durability, practicality and tradition aside, and just assume that we all acknowledge that if a gun works properly regardless of manufacturer and type, that gun has utility.

I realize that many folks may enjoy all handguns equally. If you are one of those people, ask yourself if you could only have one or the other for some reason, which type of gun would it be.

This is just a curiosity poll, not an argument or advocating type thread.

Also, just try to think about what interests you more, not necessarily what type of gun you own more of. Factors like duty roll, personal finances, and ammunition availability can have major influences on the quantities of different types of guns you own, but may not reflect what your true interest is.

If you enjoyed reading about "How old are you, and what's your favorite kind of handgun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
forindooruseonly
May 25, 2014, 01:05 PM
I'm 36.

I honestly like both revolvers and automatics, my division is over the age of the guns. I prefer, almost exclusively, older firearms. Most of my collection dates to the 60s or earlier.

Squeaky Wheel
May 25, 2014, 01:07 PM
Upper 40's here. I like both revolvers and pistols. The things that I like the most are: a certain amount of weight (I do a lot of target shooting and it's easier to hold steady the heavier ones), a middle-of-the-road caliber/cartridge (somewhere between 22 LR and 44 magnum), and a preference for steel (or alloy) over plastic.

Although I enjoy shooting pistols, I have a slight preference for revolvers because I reload and hate having to chase down my brass.

Nighthawk0083
May 25, 2014, 01:10 PM
Im 30 and for the last 6 years revolvers have and always me my favorite specially smiths and colts.

mdThanatos
May 25, 2014, 01:13 PM
31 and I can't make up my mind......I like semi autos and revolvers. I have always shot revolvers better though.

rondog
May 25, 2014, 01:15 PM
58. While I do love higher-end DA revolvers, my current inventory is kinda sparse on those. SA revolvers are a cool novelty, but I can't really shoot those well, they don't point well for me and my fat hands.

So I'll have to vote for 1911's. I currently have five of those, and get along well with all of them. No experience with any plastic pistolas.

PistolPete45
May 25, 2014, 01:21 PM
Prefer a Revolver Do like semi auto & enjoy shooting them have several . Carry a Kimber Pro Carry most of the time .. The Colt Anaconda is a bit tricky to carry most of the year.

Bobson
May 25, 2014, 01:36 PM
I'm 29, and my real interest is in 1911s (I don't care about other metal semis) and revolvers. I voted "metal semiautos," but my interest between the two areas is very close. Maybe split 60/40 in favor of 1911s.

Ironically, I've never owned (nor do I currently own) either a 1911 or a revolver. I've owned three different polymer semiautos, and while I will continue to own them, I'm still more interested in 1911s and revolvers.

Old Fuff
May 25, 2014, 01:42 PM
In my case 75 is past history.

My preference is usually revolvers, partly because I want to save the brass for reloading, and partly because some autoloaders are sensitive to limp-wristing, which for me is an issue sometimes. I also belong to a generation that well preceded pistols with large-cap magazines, that in my view too often encourage “spray & pray” style shooting. If one is restricted to 5 or 6 shots before having to reload there is a tendency to shoot less and hit more, and given the Rules of Engagement regarding the use of Deadly Force most civilians are held to, this is a good idea. In a less dramatic situation, you can stretch out your shooting experience using less ammunition at a time when finding what you need can be both difficult and expensive.

Hometeached1
May 25, 2014, 01:55 PM
Voted for 16-25 Metal semi-autos. It's real close between them and Revolvers. If this had been a month ago I would have said revolvers, but the Performance Center 3rd gen S&W I picked up is so nice... OK I say BOTH. :D

Although since S&W is no longer servicing their 3rd gens or honoring their "lifetime warranty" on them, it makes me start to look more at Ruger's.

bannockburn
May 25, 2014, 03:08 PM
Based on the number of one specific type of gun that I own I would have to say metal semi-autos.

Dirtdgger
May 25, 2014, 03:18 PM
I have a equal amount of both but I like revolvers more. Rugers and older s&w. Just bought a ruger Alaskan 454 now that takes some getting use to.

cfullgraf
May 25, 2014, 03:22 PM
I voted revolvers because that is what I am interested in and buying at the moment.

But there was no choice for "If it goes bang, that is my favorite".:)

Wil Terry
May 25, 2014, 04:44 PM
I am in my seventh decade and YOU did not know enough to write and ask the CORRECT question....!!!
There are single action revolvers and there are those, ALL THE REST, that wish they were SINGLE ACTION SIXGUNS !
We will give a nodding glance to the Double Action sixguns even though they are a MILLION miles ahead of all the shellshuckin' sumbiscuits that are nothing more than noisy fugly slingshots. YES...I own more than a hundred, ALL noisy trash....from the SIG 210's on down.....
And so it goes...

Theohazard
May 25, 2014, 05:20 PM
I'm 35 (well, I will be in a few days) and I hate being lumped in with folks as young as 26! ;)

Old Fuff
May 25, 2014, 05:20 PM
Oh Dear….

But none of my double-action revolvers ever told me they wanted to be anything else. :eek:

Never once did I suspect that they wanted to revert to an older, mostly obsolete style six-shooter.

All this time I thought they were perfectly happy. I sure hope they didn’t post any rants on Facebook. :D

460Kodiak
May 25, 2014, 05:21 PM
I am in my seventh decade and YOU did not know enough to write and ask the CORRECT question....!!!
There are single action revolvers and there are those, ALL THE REST, that wish they were SINGLE ACTION SIXGUNS !
We will give a nodding glance to the Double Action sixguns even though they are a MILLION miles ahead of all the shellshuckin' sumbiscuits that are nothing more than noisy fugly slingshots. YES...I own more than a hundred, ALL noisy trash....from the SIG 210's on down.....
And so it goes...

What are you ranting about? Are you saying single action revolvers should have gotten their own category? I don't even know what you are saying, or rather yelling about.

There are only so many options allowed in the pole. If you like single actions then just say you prefer revolvers. Don't see what the big deal is.

Hometeached1
May 25, 2014, 06:16 PM
Oh Dear….

But none of my double-action revolvers ever told me they wanted to be anything else. :eek:

Never once did I suspect that they wanted to revert to an older, mostly obsolete style six-shooter.

All this time I thought they were perfectly happy. I sure hope they didn’t post any rants on Facebook. :D

This forum needs a like button. :D

That is so funny, but I thought only plastic guns used facebook. :neener:

BullRunBear
May 25, 2014, 06:27 PM
61 years old and prefer revolvers, with a tilt towards single actions because I enjoy C&B so much. I don't like chasing brass and do like the versatility of reloads for revolvers. And these days I'm not inclined to blow off ammo too quickly. ;)

Jeff

762 X 54r
May 25, 2014, 07:02 PM
Just turned 18 yesterday and I love my Ruger Blackhawk convertible in .45. I love the versatility of it, being able to shoot some .45 ACP with a round ball all the way up to some fairly hot Ruger only loads without having to worry about cycling the action. Plus I can shoot single action revolvers much better than those new plastic things;). Not having to chase brass is great to.

Delford
May 25, 2014, 10:59 PM
I've been blessed to know guys who have a lot of handguns and who are willing to share. Having a farm where we can shoot helps. I've shot every common style revolver and autoloader in steel, scandium and plastic. I've shot .22lr, .38, .357, .44 mag & spcl, .41, .45 acp, .40 and 9 mm luger. I only began shooting at age 60 and mainly shoot .45 and .22lr (when I can find it). My category is 66+ and I chose plastic autoloaders. My .45 is a Ruger P345 which has a steel slide but a polymer lower. I am having a great time target shooting and my own version of action shooting using my pistol and my 870 in the woods. My friend coaches me and shoots with me. I expect to stay with the .45 acp from now on when I purchase as ammo prices are dropping and I'm building my supply. Fortunately I can shoot .40 and 9mm with my friend's G22 and G17 if I ask and ammo for those is plentiful and reasonable.

tacxted
May 25, 2014, 11:13 PM
its a hard poll to answer. I'm 26 and own a glock. that said I would like a S&W686 for the cool factor. Revolvers are full of character, but also carry a full price tag. that price tag reminds me i can get more for my money, hence the glock.

243winxb
May 25, 2014, 11:14 PM
Seems us old guys know what works . 15.79% OOPS forgot I am 69.

krimmie
May 25, 2014, 11:28 PM
So far, revolvers are more popular, or as popular, in every age group except 46-55. Out of 61 votes so far, 49% of the total say revolvers interest them the most. Interesting indeed.

Twiki357
May 26, 2014, 02:45 AM
At 72, I voted revolvers since that’s about all I shoot any more. Nothing against semi-autos, it’s just getting to much of a pain to chase brass.

almostfree
May 26, 2014, 03:20 AM
31. I like my semi-autos, but I love my revolvers.

May 26, 2014, 03:51 AM
I voted for metal semi-auto but I could just have easily voted for revolvers. The only thing I'm sure of is that I want a hammer hence my only owning 1911s, SIGs with aluminum frames and revolvers. I tried to like polymer frames and striker fired (bought an XD-S) but no luck. Traded the XD-S for a NIB Kimber 82G.

horsemen61
May 26, 2014, 04:06 AM
I am in the first bracket revolvers are my choice

03fatboy
May 26, 2014, 11:07 AM
I voted for revolver's that has and always will be my addiction I mean addiction I mean.......

highpower
May 26, 2014, 11:32 AM
I'm 62 and I collect pinned and recessed Smith and Wessons with the occasional Colt thrown in. That should tell you what my vote was.

WestKentucky
May 26, 2014, 11:38 AM
So far every age group but the 46 year olds like the revolvers. Funny how the whole world seems to be moving towards autos

BobWright
May 26, 2014, 11:41 AM
Why did you put the cut-off at age 75?

I'm beyond that age, and I believe most of ya'll know my preference?

Bob Wright

sherman123
May 26, 2014, 11:51 AM
I'm 27 and favor Glocks.

vamo
May 26, 2014, 11:53 AM
28 voted revolver because thats what I carry, but like semi autos just fine.

You might consider making the first 3 options under 25 and the last 3 over 66.

MR835
May 26, 2014, 12:26 PM
I STILL CARRY S&W COMPACT 9MM & 45acp. I don't think there is a better made carry gun than the S&W 3 gen series.

That is my 2 cents worth.

SAFE SHOOTING ALWAYS.

MR835 IS GONE

Skribs
May 26, 2014, 12:49 PM
Later this week I'd have a different answer ;)

benzy2
May 26, 2014, 01:01 PM
I am 29 and enjoy them all and own all of the different types. If I were to only have one, it would be a polymer semi-auto. I own more of the others ironically. Unless a new option comes around, I will always have a polymer semi-auto. The rest may come and go. I find their usefulness too high compared to the other options to go without.

Hometeached1
May 26, 2014, 02:19 PM
MR835, I really think the 3rd Gen Smiths are under rated, but hey it keeps the price down for us who like them. :D

doubleh
May 26, 2014, 02:47 PM
My grand kids tell me I'm three days older than dirt and my two great grandgurls call me "old guy" so I voted in the 75+ catagory. I love single actions and 1911s ain't too slouchy either. Nothing wrong with a good double action revolver though. Plastic fantastic anything is scraping the bottom of the barrel. :D

Furncliff
May 26, 2014, 03:04 PM
I'm 70, semi-auto's fit me best and I hit best with the 1911's and Cz steel pistols. My favorite rimfire pistols are High Standard's and a S&W 41.

I do have two revolvers, but shoot them only now and then.

wally
May 26, 2014, 03:24 PM
Over 60, I shoot mostly semi-autos, polymer and metal, I voted metal because I shoot my 1911s (.45ACP & 9mm) the most, but the Polymer M&P pistols get the second most usage.

The_Armed_Therapist
May 26, 2014, 03:40 PM
28... Polymer Semi-Auto all the way. Not even close for me.

MCgunner
May 26, 2014, 04:02 PM
I voted revolvers, prefer them for shooting, but I do own both polymer and steel autos for carry and shooting as well. My love for revolvers is not absolute. ;D One of my prejudices against autos is having to pick up the brass. At 62, I don't like bending over that much. That doesn't apply to rimfire, though. :D

Wil Terry
May 26, 2014, 04:08 PM
What are you ranting about? Are you saying single action revolvers should have gotten their own category? I don't even know what you are saying, or rather yelling about.

There are only so many options allowed in the pole. If you like single actions then just say you prefer revolvers. Don't see what the big deal is.
THAT , THAT, is the whole problem; you did not/ do not see...nor apparently know the difference, Sir.

Dr.Rob
May 26, 2014, 04:15 PM
46, own no polymer pistols and more autos than revolvers.

Drail
May 26, 2014, 04:20 PM
Revolvers of at least .41 caliber.

Comrade Mike
May 26, 2014, 04:25 PM
21 and my Browning Hi Power

Old Fuff
May 26, 2014, 04:27 PM
THAT , THAT, is the whole problem; you did not/ do not see...nor apparently know the difference, Sir.

The Old Fuff by this time in his life does know the difference between different revolver platforms, and/or makers. However a poll can only offer so many options. The best solution I know in this case is to pick an age group and handgun category (in this instance, revolvers), and them make a post within the thread to explain the fine details. ;)

You can also start your own thread concerning specific advantages/disadvantages of various kinds of (whatever) and target the discussion toward a particular subject.

JRH6856
May 26, 2014, 05:06 PM
I'm 66 and I'm with cfullgraf: If it go BANG, I go shoot. :D

Vodoun da Vinci
May 26, 2014, 05:10 PM
I'm 58 and 2 years ago I would have said revolvers and that I had no use for polymer semi autos and that I'd likely never shoot one let alone own one.

In the last year I have purchased 5 guns, one was a revolver with a polymer frame (Ruger LCR) and one was a metal auto (a Colt 1903 in .32 made in 1930) and my 3 favorites?

All polymer autoloaders - A Beretta Px4 SC, A Glock 26, and a Glock 42.

VooDoo

LAH
May 26, 2014, 05:18 PM
63 & love sixguns, always have but I shoot a few autos.

sappyg
May 26, 2014, 08:56 PM
48 and own more polymer semis than anything else but when I'm honest with myself revolvers are my preference. This is subject to change at a moments notice.

460Kodiak
May 26, 2014, 09:28 PM
In years past I probably would have reacted more intensely than I'm about to, but somewhere along the line I've learned that some folks just enjoy hearing themselves talk and like picking fights. Those folks seldom have anything worth listening to, and since I don't want this fun and harmless thread to get closed because of a bickering match I'll stay calm.

THAT , THAT, is the whole problem; you did not/ do not see...nor apparently know the difference, Sir. Incorrect. I am well aware of the differences between SA, DA, and SA/DA revolvers as well as the platforms involved. The reason I split thing out the way I did is simply because I've noticed a trend that people who are interested in revolvers are typically interested in all revolver types, like myself. To be fair, there are now polymer framed revolvers as well, so I could have split it there also, but it seemed inconsequential to me since the numbers of polymer models are few.

The split between polymer and metal guns is based on comments I see about "Tupperware" guns and "plastic fantastic" guns. There seems to be a split between semi auto shooters who will use, and some who seem to think they are garbage. I wanted to cover a wide range of ages and the poll only allows 20 choices max. So I needed to limit the choices to very large categories. Semi autos also could be split further into steel and alloy guns, and hammer vs striker guns. I just couldn't do it though with the limited options.

I am in my seventh decade and YOU did not know enough to write and ask the CORRECT question....!!!.

This is totally wrong. I asked the question to which I wanted to know the answer, AND THATS WHY I STARTED THE THREAD, and did so in the general handgun section. That means I asked the correct question. To even make the statement you made is arrogant and presumption of the highest order.

If you don't like the way the question was asked, or have a question of your own that you want answered, or think anything besides single action revolvers are junk, that's fine. It doesn't matter to me. But do us all a favor, go over to the revolver section, START YOUR OWN THREAD, and ask the question you want answered. Don't ridicule others for not doing it for you. That's just lazy.

I can't believe that a harmless question could inspire such obnoxious behavior. Let's get back to it.

JudgeHolden10
May 26, 2014, 10:11 PM
I'm 28. It is a hard choice between 1911s and revolvers for me.

I've shot polymer handguns, too. They're definitely less expensive and quite reliable, but they just don't have the triggers that my 1911 or Smiths do.

bikerdoc
May 26, 2014, 10:17 PM
65, 1911 platforms.

jimbo555
May 26, 2014, 10:28 PM
64 and I went back to revolvers. Still own some semi's but they stay in the safe now.

JohnKSa
May 26, 2014, 10:50 PM
What's funny, if you look at what I own, you would never guess what my favorites are.

I like rifles more than handguns but I shoot handguns more (and therefore own more handguns) because of the practicalities involved with getting to the outdoor rifle ranges.

I like revolvers more than semi-autos, but I shoot semi-autos more and carry semi-autos exclusively. So I own more semi-autos than revolvers.

Narrowing things down to only semi-autos, I have three favorites. One steel frame, one aluminum frame and one polymer frame. Interestingly enough, all of them have different operating systems--one is a tilting barrel lockup, one has a swinging locking block and one has a rotating barrel.

marv
May 26, 2014, 11:07 PM
81. Revos.

Skribs
May 27, 2014, 01:08 PM
Interesting, so far 46-52% prefer revolvers, 25-47% prefer metal autos, and 6-22% prefer polymer autos in each age category. That means across the board, it's pretty much revolver > metal > polymer in terms of preference.

hardluk1
May 27, 2014, 01:38 PM
No right answer. I hunt with a revolver , enjoy all metal semi-autos at the range and carry a poly pistol.

mattm0691
May 27, 2014, 02:08 PM
23. While I do see that modern semi autos have a greater utility as far as SD situations etc go, I do prefer revolvers (especially single actions!), mainly because I feel they are more fun to shoot, and of course no brass can escape :)

Ed Ames
May 27, 2014, 02:11 PM
Is "interest the most" the same as "prefer"?

I am most interested in metal semi-autos because they are neat little engines and can be finely crafted bits of jewelry. They appeal to me the same way a nice watch appeals to me. So that's what I answered.

If I was a hunter I would prefer a revolver for power and simplicity. For concealed carry I prefer cheap plastic guns (I think Kel-tec might well make the best overall carry guns) because I don't care if they get scratched up or confiscated...though I have a cheap CC 1911 because it can serve double duty as a range toy and I can't afford to have everything I would like. If open carry was a factor for me I would probably prefer a plastic service size semi-auto for daily use and a good custom single action revolver for anachronistic formal dress.

The_Next_Generation
May 27, 2014, 03:01 PM
I interpreted this poll question as asking what kind of gun I like the best and have the most interest in, not necessarily what I think is the most utilitarian.

Currently, my only centerfire handgun is an FNX-45. As a college student finances are limtied I don't get to conceal-carry much. However if I am carrying, I'm hiking or climbing and that means OWB (just went yesterday, almost had to shoot a mountain goat :what:). For my purposes, the FNX is great. However, I don't really like the lines and "feel" of it. Functional? Extremely so. Do I fondle it because its purdy? No.

I would absolutely love to have a single-action (A Ruger 38/357/9mm convertible would be SWEET) just for the heck of it. I have a single-action 22 I enjoy shooting it more than any other handgun I have owned (Glock 22, Glock 19, Ruger 1911 and a Ruger MKII SS). I've shot with some of the cowboy-action shooters who lent me their SA wheelguns and I don't think I've had more fun on the handgun range.

I voted revolvers. They're romantic and in a DA/SA configuration still very applicable. My woodsgun will probably always be a polyemer semi, but you can't beat the look and feel of a nice sixgun :evil:

460Kodiak
May 27, 2014, 04:02 PM
I interpreted this poll question as asking what kind of gun I like the best and have the most interest in, not necessarily what I think is the most utilitarian.

Correct. For instance, I am most interested in and like all revolvers the most (own 9), but I do own a 1911 and two polymer guns as well. For carry, I find polymer guns to have the most utility as they are small light weight and easy to conceal. I view polymer guns as tools that are easily replaced if damaged or confiscated.

But my true interest is in revolvers, old and new, of all types. Four of the 9 revolvers I own are collectors items, and antiques. I don't shoot those as one doesn't function properly and the other three are in such nice shape, that I just want to preserve them. But if I had to ditch one of them, or a semiauto, the semiauto would go.

Ed Ames
May 27, 2014, 04:51 PM
I'll revise my previous answer then to "none of the answers reflect my preference".

I don't actually care about action type or material. I care about the enginering, the construction, the feel.

The last time I went shooting I brought a muzzle loading flintlock pistol and had a lot of fun blowing smoke. That pistol sits on a cradle on my desk because I like looking at it. Will I ever carry it? Nope, but it has nice wood, nice metal, classic lines, and enough interesting mechanical flair (exposed springs, clamps, nicely made parts) to appeal to my aesthetic sensibility. Plus a sort of pseudohistorical credence - I doubt it is much like anything you would have actually encountered in 1830, but it captures the je ne sais quoi of the era well enough for my untrained eyes.

I want to get a S&W No.3. I have a 1-1/2. These are revolvers but it isn't their revolverocity that pulls me in. At the same time, I have picked up semi-autos that I simply had to own once I touched them. Again, beauty to my eyes has nothing to do with the type of action or practicality. My "carry" 1911 is stainless steel with dark cocobolo scales that I hand refinished because when I saw them I liked the wood but knew I could do better. I did. It isn't the classic 1911 of 100 years ago, but it has a balance of form and function that resonates for me (at a price I could afford). I don't like it better or worse because it is a semi-auto, I like it because it feels like a minimal approximation of quality to me.

Arkansas Paul
May 27, 2014, 05:16 PM
I'm 33 and prefer to shoot revolvers. Single actions to be specific, but I like the doubles too.

I do carry a polymer auto for CC though. Like you I prefer the wheelies but realize that the smaller polymer semis are the cat's meow for carrying all day.

mavracer
May 27, 2014, 05:25 PM
I'm 48 and feel about all guns like Townsend Whelen felt about rifles.
Only accurate guns are interesting. I do prefer the asthetics of metal and exotic wood.

rockdoc806
May 27, 2014, 05:34 PM
I'm 77. Prefer revolvers. Carry Ruger LCR .38. Have several semi-autos, shotguns, and rifles.

mdauben
May 27, 2014, 05:38 PM
AT 56, This is a tough question to answer. If I'm looking at it stictly from a SD point of view, my "favorite" would be a high capacity polymer semiauto. If I want to shoot bullseye targets, I like the metal frame semiauto. If I was to look at it from a strictly fun point of view, the revolver would win, hands down.

I guess if I have to go with my heart and pick one... its revolvers!

gamestalker
May 27, 2014, 07:07 PM
I fall into the 56-65 yr. range, no need to elaborate more.

My handgun affections have always been with revolvers. But more specifically, I like the big bore magnum offerings, though I enjoy shooting all others, magnums just satisfy my desire for power.

It's in this respect, that I have difficulty understanding those who own one or several magnum class, or even a standard cartridge offerings that never, or on very rare occasions only, will they shoot full throttle ammunition. I mean cost, recoil, and firearm quality aside, of which recoil and cost can be managed very effectively, I can't see the personal justification in owning something as awesome, and as big and nasty as a well built magnum class revolver. I can't count the number of times I've chatted with someone shooting such a fine specimen, and when I ask them if they ever shoot the real stuff, they very often return with a quick, Your kidding right? or," No way you'll get me behind a full magnum load!", or even regular 38 special scare the heck out of me.

I have a friend of mine that just simply loves buying guns, he has a dream collection of them, but that's about it, he loves buying them. A few years back he bought a S&W 500, NIB. He called me up to ask me to take it for a test drive for him. I jumped at the opportunity, who wouldn't, right? So I loaded up 100 rounds of full throttle 43.0 grs. of H110, 350 gr. XTP's, and met him the next day at my designated shooting spot. After having shot several cylinders I started feeling guilty about having all the fun. So I loaded up another cylinder full and offered him the revolver, to which he informed me he can't muster the nerve to shoot something like that. I honestly thought he was joking at first, but he wasn't. So after some discussion about his fears, in which I attempted to reassure him it's a perfectly safe gun, he still insisted he wouldn't shoot it. So at this point I only had one lingering obvious question, why did you buy it? His answer was, it looked really cool. As I later learned, he also has a bunch of other magnums he has never shot.

GS

JR24
May 27, 2014, 07:24 PM
I'm 30 and I like, have and carry all of the above. My real passion is 1911's though.

Sheepdog1968
May 27, 2014, 08:08 PM
Metal firearms with wood interest me the most. Having said that, I have no issues with polymer striker fired pistols. For a conceal weapon, I'd probably go with the striker fired polymer pistol becuase of weight more than anything else.

460Kodiak
May 27, 2014, 08:19 PM
gamestalker, I agree. If you are going to get a magnum, than it should be fed magnums on a relatively regular basis. Not much point in owning one if you dont. I really love my 460 magnum, and enjoy watching milk jugs explode at 50 yards like they were hit by a rifle.

Big bore magnums are a hoot, and useful!

MinnesotaFats
May 27, 2014, 09:50 PM
I agree completely with post 67. Accurate guns interest me most and since i shoot revolvers most accurately, that was my choice. If i had a 1911 or a polymer that i could shoot more accurately than i could my Smiffs or my Blackhawk, then Id pick one of those options.

MinnesotaFats
May 27, 2014, 10:06 PM
Gamestalker and Kodiak, i own three .357 mags that i shoot .38 specials out of way more frequently than .357 mag loads and definitely not because im scared. But isnt that the nice thing about them though? Having more than one option? Really the only time i shoot full house loads is at paper before deer season. Oh and at deer during deer season ;)

NMPOPS
May 27, 2014, 11:07 PM
i see that I am in the majority. Revolvers rule!

460Kodiak
May 28, 2014, 12:18 AM
Gamestalker and Kodiak, i own three .357 mags that i shoot .38 specials out of way more frequently than .357 mag loads and definitely not because im scared. But isnt that the nice thing about them though? Having more than one option? Really the only time i shoot full house loads is at paper before deer season. Oh and at deer during deer season

Oh absolutely man. The versatility of revolvers is one of the things I love about them. I shoot 38's out of my .357 revolvers and .45 colt and 454's out of my 460 magnum quite a bit. But there are always some magnums shot at every range outing for me. It's like a sports car to me. If your going to own one, you just gotta put the pedal down on a regular basis. Just my philosophy.

Sounds like you're happy though, so have at it man!

MinnesotaFats
May 28, 2014, 01:00 AM
I must have just got the wrong impression. I see what your saying. The magnum rounds do leave me smilin' longer. Gotta love the versatility. Its looking like alot of other high roaders are revolver fans as well.

KansasSasquatch
May 28, 2014, 02:14 PM
26-35 Revolvers. If I'm at the range I enjoy shooting a good revolver over any other style of handgun. But for practicality reasons I tend to shoot my polymer framed -autos just as much if not more than revolvers. And I've never carried a revolver in a urban (or suburban) setting for protection. But I like all styles, just not all models or brands.

mavracer
May 28, 2014, 03:44 PM
But there are always some magnums shot at every range outing for me. It's like a sports car to me. If your going to own one, you just gotta put the pedal down on a regular basis. Just my philosophy.
Yes but I have more than one hot rod so the Mustang doesn't get the slicks bolted to it and 6000 rpm side stepping the clutch that's left to the old Maverick.
Same with the handguns I have multiple 357s and 44 mags so while the 19 and 29 get driven hard I keep the full effort stuff for the GP100 and the Redhawk. lol

Legionnaire
May 28, 2014, 04:07 PM
I hate it when I'm right on the edge of an age bracket. I recently turned 56, so I guess that puts me among the youngest of the old guys. :)

And while I have have handguns in all three classes--plus single shots--I most enjoy shooting revolvers.

Hurryin' Hoosier
May 28, 2014, 10:11 PM
i see that I am in the majority. Revolvers rule!
You're making our age bracket look bad! ;)

Pyro
May 28, 2014, 10:43 PM
25 here, revolver-dude.

huntsman
May 28, 2014, 10:55 PM
46-55 metal semi-auto, as it should be.

skypilot1941
May 28, 2014, 11:14 PM
62 here. Have always been a wheel gun man. In the 70s first handgun was a Ruger Single Six convertible soon followed by a Smith Model 15, then Ruger Blackhawk .357 and Ruger SBH .44 MAG. Also owned Smith 29-1 .44 mag and a Colt Python .357. Do have a Ruger MK 1 and a Taurus 9mm. Recently purchased a Smith Model 629-2e and will be getting a Model 69 when I can find one around here.

Hardtarget
May 29, 2014, 12:59 AM
I'm 64...as of April. I have two Colt revolvers. I have two S&W revolvers. Don't let this make you think I only like revolvers. I'll shoot whats on the table...if there is ammo for it! :D

There are two semi auto guns in the safe as well.

I even enjoy single shot pistols.

Mark

Sauer Grapes
May 29, 2014, 10:40 PM
Every time I try to like polymer guns, it just never takes hold.
I'm just more a steel guy.

{closing in on 59}

cat_IT_guy
May 30, 2014, 12:32 AM
27, revolvers.... right now. My Single Six convertible is my newest handgun and I am having a ball with it.

460Kodiak
May 31, 2014, 10:49 AM
Revolvers seem to be winning in all age categories. Interesting.

alfon99
June 1, 2014, 12:01 AM
14 years old here, I like both revolvers and semi's... not sure which to choose. But if it's between semi-auto's I would choose metal.

I see I'm the only one who voted younger than 16.

460Kodiak
June 2, 2014, 09:43 AM
Across all age ranges so far:

Revolvers 50%
Metal Semiautos 32%
Polymer Semiautos 18%

Robert
June 2, 2014, 11:21 AM
34. 1911.

Ky Larry
June 2, 2014, 01:20 PM
I'm 60 and I like about everything. If they work and fill a need, I like them, but I love my Snakes and older S&W wheel guns.

P.S. You need another option in your poll for Old Fuff. I heard he started shooting when the match lockwas being developed.;)

460Kodiak
June 2, 2014, 01:27 PM
From now on, any poll I create will have a button that just says "Fuff click here." :)

Corpral_Agarn
June 2, 2014, 03:07 PM
25 years old here.
I carry a metal semi auto but find I am more interested in revolvers. Especially old revolvers.

Sarge 13
June 3, 2014, 07:49 PM
Your catagories leave a Lot to be desired!!!
I'm 78 and I carry a Browning Hi-Power - and always will!!!
There is Nothing currently on the market that is better - and NO I do not think double action is better!!!
I started carrying an HP in Viet Nam and have carried one ever since. In fact I brought that one home as a registered war trophy.
Sarge
P.S. IF I need to carry something smaller, it is a Hungarian PA 63 - a copy of the Walther PP in 9mm Makerov.

arspeukinen
June 3, 2014, 08:02 PM
41. Metal-framed pistols and revolvers. I intend to get a blackpowder revolver eventually.
Favorite: Beretta 92 Stock. Second: CZ and SIG competition models.

Plastic is boring... Except I'd like to have the new narrow slide .45 glock and the FN .45 tactical.

arizona_cards_11
June 3, 2014, 10:57 PM
That was a tough one; I'm not a huge revolver guy.

I learned on a 1911 and my first was a 1911; I had a Les Baer for a little while, but I've since worked my way into Glocks after trying out a few HK's and FN's.

Having aesthetically pleasing guns bothers me. I find that I baby them too much if I can't view them as a tool.

Blackstone
June 4, 2014, 05:46 AM
22, and I like my CZ 75's and Sphinxes

RuggedAK
June 4, 2014, 09:45 PM
Im 26 and my favorite kind of handgun is ametal framed one. Specifically a Beretta 92 FS.

ljnowell
June 5, 2014, 02:03 AM
33 and I love my 1911s but wheelguns are, and always will be, my passion. It just something a about them. That and I am missing three discs in my lower back and it hurts to bend , so picking up brass isn't a favorite hobby.

Robbins290
June 5, 2014, 11:34 AM
Im 30, and i dont do plastic. I own some tactical tuppaware, but prefere steel or aluminum framed

Reloadron
June 5, 2014, 12:02 PM
I'm 64 and among the guns I favor are the older Colt and S&W Revolvers as well as the older Colt 1911 guns. I just have a hard time warming up to many of the newer Tupperware guns made from composites. I have shot several I like but don't own any.

Ron

benzy2
June 6, 2014, 01:40 PM
A 2011 counts as a polymer gun, right?

aka108
June 6, 2014, 07:14 PM
78 I enjoy revolvers, metal and mattel semi autos. The good thing about revolvers is not having to chase you brass. At my age getting down to chase brass is no problem. It the getting up part that becomes a PIA as you stack on the years.

CraigC
June 6, 2014, 08:03 PM
39, revolvers, single actions by a fair margin.

Beat Trash
June 7, 2014, 09:50 PM
Just about to hit 50. I grew up shooting and then carrying revolvers. Times have changed, and so have I.

The only thing that can tear me away from my current Glock 19 would possibly be the new HK VP9.

stubbicatt
June 8, 2014, 01:18 AM
I don't own firearms, only "platforms." :rolleyes:

JohnKSa
June 8, 2014, 02:30 AM
Currently:

Totals for each handgun type.
Revolvers: 169
Metal Semi-Auto: 125
Poly Semi-Auto: 63

Totals for each age group.
16-25: 26
26-35: 62
36-45: 43
46-55: 60
56-65: 115
66-75: 51

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=199399&stc=1&d=1402205366

Rodentman
June 8, 2014, 07:10 AM
I'm 64 and prefer revolvers. I am surprised to see that I am not alone in that regard! I find revolvers are more flexible with different loads, brass length, etc. Not as picky. I'm never had to work up a load for a specific revolver yet have had to do that for semi-autos.

Still, I have a nice collection of both and enjoy both. If I had to choose, it would be the wheelguns.

460Kodiak
June 8, 2014, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the summary so far JohnKSA. Appreciated.

460Kodiak
June 11, 2014, 12:32 PM
Just bumping this up so anyone who wants to vote sees it.

hariph creek
June 11, 2014, 01:44 PM
I'm 40.
I ENJOY revolvers more. For just shooting and knocking about in the woods. Plus I reload and I HATE chasing brass.
That said, for carry in "polite society." I have to go with bottom feeders.

mnhntr
June 11, 2014, 06:39 PM
I picked the answer that best fit I guess. I am 43 and carry a 1911 as an EDC. I do however love to shoot revolvers both SA and DA. I have competed in USPSA revolver division as well as production and single stack. I love all types of firearms but if you make me choose one and only one it would be a 357mag DA revolver like a 686, 586 or GP100.

Dudemeister
June 12, 2014, 11:14 AM
Just voted on this myself. I've been interested in guns most of my adult life, and I have a wide variety of revolver, semis (both plastic & metal), but I always gravitate toward revolvers.

At the ripe old age of 58 I collect guns for their esthetic design more than their shooting prowess. To me there's nothing prettier than a beautifully finished Peacemaker. Add some engraving, and I'm in love. The Colt history book is a permanent fixture on my coffee table (my idea of porn). :)

The Lone Haranguer
June 12, 2014, 09:04 PM
55, prefer semi-autos, but am not particular about what they're made of. I have both metal- and polymer-framed guns.

SAGEEN
June 12, 2014, 09:15 PM
im from old scool METAL framed all the way you can have your plastic if you like its not for me

rswartsell
June 12, 2014, 09:29 PM
I think I am the guy you are trying to get at. I am in the 56-65 age group and grew up with revolvers.

I have kept current and own polymer semi-autos. First love still the classic revolvers and the circumstance where they won't do the job still seems very remote to me.

460Kodiak
June 13, 2014, 12:54 PM
These results are interesting. Revolvers are still at the top in all age groups, followed by metal semiautos, followed by polymer pistols.

I find the posts that note the obvious utility of polymer firearms (like myself), and note that they carry them frequently and make use of them, but still prefer revolvers or metal semiautos to be interesting. I thought for certain as age decreased, the number of people picking polymer semiautos as their favorites would increase. But that is not really the case. It is a really small sample size though.

It would be interesting to do this again in another 20 years, and then do a study on the younger generation. It makes me wonder if the preference for metal guns across all age ranges is a product of

1. the older generation teaching the younger generation to shoot, and thus would diminish as a result of the older (metal loving) generation passing away....

2. if it is a matter of most polymer guns costing less than metal guns in many cases, so the older generation can afford, and thus have more expossure to metal guns, and younger shooters get plastic to start with....

3. Or rather, despite the space age stuff that is available, is there an inherent feeling that metal guns are more durable and just have more soul to them. I'm inclined to believe this option as that is how I started out, by buying a small .357. It just had more appeal to me in general, and I'm not sure why. It had substance, and weight, and didn't seem like a toy, as so many plastic guns feel. It was the type of thing that if I died, I'd be happy to pass it on to someone as it is a personal item and worth passing on. Plastic guns are useful, but to me, they are like a pair of boots. They are for getting around, but eventually, you know they will wear out and get replaced. (I don't actually have time to shoot often enough to wear any gun out.) If you lost it or it was taken from you, you'd be angry, but it is probably very easily replaceable.

Just some thoughts.

460Kodiak
June 22, 2014, 12:42 AM
Final bump

Art Eatman
June 23, 2014, 01:05 PM
Age 80. Colt 1911s and the Woodsman. And, SAA.

Kleanbore
June 23, 2014, 01:19 PM
70. No single favorite. At the top of my list, SAA, 1911, Woodsman, Detective Special. Also, 1851 revolving belt pistol of Navy caliber, and Schofield.

I carry a Croatian striker-fired semi auto ("A gun is a tool, Marion)".

Diehard1
June 23, 2014, 01:21 PM
Heckler & Koch

kitsapshooter
June 23, 2014, 10:59 PM
Age - None of your business
Favored gun - come sit a spell and find out.

460Kodiak
June 24, 2014, 12:50 AM
Age - None of your business
Favored gun - come sit a spell and find out.:rolleyes: I don't really care enough to drive to Washington.

Take care now

mulefour
June 24, 2014, 12:17 PM
I picked Rev. but my favorites are TC contender and encore for hunting and target shooting.
Contender is 10" 30-30 and encore 12" 308

ScratchnDent
June 24, 2014, 01:30 PM
45 and revolvers are my true love. Maybe it was all the cowboy movies I watched as a kid.

If you enjoyed reading about "How old are you, and what's your favorite kind of handgun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!