Mossberg 500 wood too light

PDA

MinnesotaFats
May 30, 2014, 10:43 PM
The only thing i dont like about my 500a is the light, blondish (birch?) wood stock/forearm. I generally like dark wood on blue. I was considering stripping it and staining it to a darker hue. Anyone try this? Dosent exactly have to be a 500. My main concern is staining the checkering and how that would turn out. Any tips, methods, experience, etc will be appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "Mossberg 500 wood too light" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ugaarguy
May 30, 2014, 11:34 PM
I've moved this to gunsmithing and repairs for you.

nulook45
May 31, 2014, 03:49 PM
Birch is a very brittle wood after stripping but if you want to strip it i recomend citristrip or as a last resort easy off oven cleaner . but you must get all of the old finish off . It will look splochy if you dont i like to mix red oak with light walnut stain to get a reddish brown finish let the stain soak in over night use a old toothbrush on checkering when dry put about 5 to 10 coats of tru-oil on it sanding lightly in between coats.

LAGS
May 31, 2014, 04:25 PM
The wood can be stripped with Strippers like Jasco, or the Citra Strip kind of stuff and use a tooth brush on the checkering.
Minwax makes a stain called " Gunstock" color
it is a nice redish brown and reminds me of the old '50's style gunstocks.
I used the Gunstock stain on a lot of my refinishing stock projects, and I am very pleased with the results.
You can either put on a top coat of Urethane spray in Gloss or Satin Finish to your liking, or do as I do, and finish the stain wood with Boiled Linseed Oil .

beag_nut
May 31, 2014, 10:02 PM
If it is truly birch then it isn't very brittle.
After stripping, consider dyeing the wood, instead of staining. The color will be much more uniform and it's easier to color to the degree one wants. Coming from a retired furniture maker.

MinnesotaFats
June 1, 2014, 03:26 PM
Very helpful. Thanks guys!

GunnyUSMC
June 3, 2014, 09:18 AM
These two topics should answer all your questions and show you what and how to stain your stock.
How to do an Aged Oil Finish
http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=137&t=73332

How to do a Three Step Stain Finish
http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=137&t=83923

If you enjoyed reading about "Mossberg 500 wood too light" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!