Selecting proper scope ring height.

PDA

GuyWithGun
June 1, 2014, 08:33 PM
I recently got a Rem 7600 and mounted a 2-7 Leopold on it with a one piece gamer reaper low mounts. Gun shoots REALLY low. Maxed out elevation and still about 6 feet low at 100 yards. Logic would dictate that need different mounts, just not real sure where to go to from here.

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Selecting proper scope ring height." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
June 1, 2014, 08:45 PM
Changing mounts or rings will have no effect at all on your ability to zero the scope.

If it shoots low with the mount & rings you have.
It will still shoot low with different rings.
They do not change anything except how high above the barrel the scope is mounted.

All you need to do is take the mount off, and shim up the Rear End of it with steel or brass automotive shim stock, or a shim cut out of a beer can.

That will raise the barrel axis in relation to the scope and get you back more centered in the adjustment range.

rc

BBBBill
June 1, 2014, 08:48 PM
The mount height should have very little, if anything, to do with your issue. Your mount is defective,/improperly mounted/damaged, scope damaged/defective, or there's something wrong with the rifle itself. Have you shot it with iron sights? Is the scope new or used? I've never heard of or used anything by DNZ, so no sense of their quality. If the scope mount were installed backwards it might have the effect you're seeing.

Scope base shims are sold by Brownells and Midway in several thicknesses.

GuyWithGun
June 1, 2014, 10:07 PM
Irons shot fine, scope is new. The scope base/rings on a 7600 are asymmetrically drilled (further between holes on rear than in front- figure most of you know that but I didn't), so impossible to mount it backwards unless it was drilled wrong from factory.

By complete accident, I ordered two mounts when I placed the order (got click happy). Will try the other set and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Selecting proper scope ring height." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!