Proper center of balance for Rem 700

PDA

spitballer
June 5, 2014, 01:00 PM
My Rem 700 returned a couple of days ago with a much heavier barrel, and I'd like to add ballast to the stock to balance it a little better. Are there any guidelines as to where the center of balance should be? This is for a standard ADL mossy oak synthetic stock with the rough circular patch molded in just forward of the recoil lug area. Presumably this circular molded-in patch simulates a grip of some sort, but does this mean the center of balance should be here also?

For ballast, I'm thinking of bagging and sealing a quantity of bird shot and wedging it up against the recoil pad at the rear with some bubble wrap or rags or something. Anyone else ever balance a rifle like this?

If you enjoyed reading about "Proper center of balance for Rem 700" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ClarkEMyers
June 5, 2014, 10:08 PM
Sure mostly with a two piece stock including a stack of washers around the through bolt. There are lead pieces molded to fit stock cavities including military pattern rifles with cleaning kit spaces and such in the butt stock. Mostly I think to add weight more than to change the balance. I've never found a perfect by definition balance point.

rcmodel
June 5, 2014, 10:45 PM
Most folks expect a further foreward balance point when installing a heavy barrel.

It helps dampen your wobbles when standing, and holds the gun down on the bags better when bench-resting it.

Adding weight to the rear of the stock will only add more weight to an already heavier gun.
And cancel out some of the advantages of adding the heavier barrel in the first place.

IMO: Adding lead to the butt stock would just make the rifle heavier.
And do nothing to add to it's portability, usefulness, or off-hand accuracy.
In fact, it will make it worse!

It balences where it balances when you carry it in one hand.

It balances where it's supposed to when you are shooting it!

rc

spitballer
June 6, 2014, 12:53 PM
Thanks to clarkemeyers and rcmodel for replies.

I know it'll be heavy but this is an ugly old range rifle that's unlikely to be taken hunting anyway. I don't like killing animals, although I might go on a hog hunt for food sometime. I just want to balance it a little better for handling, and maybe steady it and reduce recoil.

Never could find any bird shot, but at a bait shop I found 10 lbs of small used sinkers destined for melt-down. What a bargain!

Thanks again, gentlemen!

4v50 Gary
June 6, 2014, 04:29 PM
Heavier gun means you carry less stuff. I'd forgo adding weight to it unless it's a range only rifle. In that case, consider a lead weight that may be slipped into a hole drilled into the butt. With the butt pad screwed back on, no one will ever know.

spitballer
June 7, 2014, 10:50 AM
Great project.

Filled up stock with tiny used split shot, egg, and bullet sinkers from the local bait shop and it balances about an inch aft of the beavertail fore end. Loctite on scope mounts should be ready later today, trigger was breeze and everything came together beautifully. Yes, it's heavy, but it's a range-only rifle. I'm still not ruling out a hog hunt but I'd spring for a larger caliber rifle first.

A sincere thanks for constructive responses, best wishes to all - TH

twofifty
June 9, 2014, 12:32 AM
Spitballer, another option when position shooting with a front-heavy rifle is to experiment with stance changes.

For instance, when shooting offhand, if your support hand is normally extended quite a ways forward, try bringing it to the rear some.

If you bring the support hand very close and just ahead of the trigger guard (i.e. under a flush to the stock magazine on a traditional rifle), this efficiently supports the rifle's weight and allows you to brace your support elbow into your rib cage, for bone on bone support. This works with my 700's 26" VS barrel.

spitballer
June 9, 2014, 10:22 AM
The center of balance is about an inch aft of the fore end; if it's barrel heavy, it's only slightly so. Actually seems to hold well, although it's heavier.

If you enjoyed reading about "Proper center of balance for Rem 700" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!