Looking for a back up gun

PDA

Barry the Bear
June 7, 2014, 04:50 PM
Ok so I just got a new job , which is gonna be in a highly professional setting. I will be wearing a full suit about 90 percent of the time, I currently carry a ruger vaquero in a high ride mernickle holster on my right side. I am looking to carry a back up to the vaquero but I need something light and thin that will fit a thigh or ankle holster.

Heres my criteria:

1. Revolver or semi auto
2.must be at least .32 caliber
3. Wont print easy using the holster methods mentioned
4. budget is capped at 700
5. Must be in a black/blue finish

If you enjoyed reading about "Looking for a back up gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
skoro
June 7, 2014, 05:00 PM
Sounds like a job for a KelTec P32 or P3AT.

Lj1941
June 7, 2014, 05:02 PM
709FS or 738FS Will IMO meet your criteria.A Ruger LCP is another option. M & P Shield also comes to mind. There are many more.

Hometeached1
June 7, 2014, 05:11 PM
In the order that I prefer, but YMMV.

S&W 442(.38+p)

S&W 36 (.38+p)

Colt Agent (.38)

Colt Detective Special (.38+p)

Ruger LCR (.38+p)

SIG P290RS (9mm+p)

SIG P232 (.380)

Glock 42 (.380)

Ruger LCP (.380)

The Colts are no longer being made and would be at the upper end of your price range, but are very nice revolvers.

Hope this helps.

CWL
June 7, 2014, 05:13 PM
Another vote for the KT P-32. Small, light and inexpensive at ~$220-250.

If your budget is $700, then you'll have plenty left over for practice ammo.

Barry the Bear
June 7, 2014, 06:07 PM
Ive had some bad run ins with keltec . Ill look into the taurus and ruger offerings.

browningguy
June 7, 2014, 06:14 PM
There's probably 4-500 models that fit your needs so I can't help there.

I did want to say I had never considered how anyone could get Ruger Vaquero and thigh holster in the same paragraph. Are you talking about a tactical drop leg thigh holster? I'm wondering how that will conceal?

Barry the Bear
June 7, 2014, 06:44 PM
There's probably 4-500 models that fit your needs so I can't help there.

I did want to say I had never considered how anyone could get Ruger Vaquero and thigh holster in the same paragraph. Are you talking about a tactical drop leg thigh holster? I'm wondering how that will conceal?
No i carry the vaquero on my hip, im looking for a back up to ride concealed on the thigh or ankle .

WC145
June 7, 2014, 06:52 PM
Seriously? You're a professional gun slinger carrying a single action revolver as your primary in this day and age? No offense, but unless you're working for a wild west amusement park it's probably time you stepped into the 21st century. In my experience as a LEO, the best back up is a small frame revolver, the best primary would be a substantial semiautomatic pistol in one of the big three calibers. Mernickle can still hook you up with some appropriate leather.

george burns
June 7, 2014, 08:41 PM
XDS, it's light and it's a 45.

murf
June 7, 2014, 09:02 PM
have you thought about a shoulder holster?

murf

GRIZ22
June 7, 2014, 09:13 PM
I'm with WC145 on this. You should be talking about replacing that S.A. if you are in a highly professional gun carrying job.

Barry the Bear
June 7, 2014, 09:21 PM
There seems to be some miscommunication, Im not a " gun fighter" This new job is for a health insurance company. Secondly Im confident in my abilities with a single action, enough talk about that part theres way too many threads on that subject. I have tried a shoulder holster however it doesnt work out that well for me.

WC145
June 8, 2014, 07:32 AM
There seems to be some miscommunication, Im not a " gun fighter" This new job is for a health insurance company. Secondly Im confident in my abilities with a single action, enough talk about that part theres way too many threads on that subject. I have tried a shoulder holster however it doesnt work out that well for me.
You're the one that inferred you'd be carrying as part of the job with the need for a BUG, so will you or won't you? If you are then, yes, you really should consider changing to a more appropriate side arm. Defending yourself and others with a gun is already difficult enough without hobbling yourself with the slowest shooting and reloading repeating handgun you can find as your primary weapon.

PabloJ
June 8, 2014, 09:18 AM
I would dump the "Wyatt Earp" for something modern like g26 and forget the BUG. Carrying just one handgun is big PITA therefore there is no need of complicating life any further.

WC145
June 8, 2014, 09:19 AM
I would dump the "Wyatt Earp" for something modern like g26 and forget the BUG. Carrying just one handgun is big PITA therefore there is no need of complicating life any further.
I always carry a BUG on duty, no big deal if you do it right.

PabloJ
June 8, 2014, 09:44 AM
If I were 'on duty' I would carry two bugs.

DrBozack
June 8, 2014, 12:24 PM
Ok so I just got a new job , which is gonna be in a highly professional setting. I will be wearing a full suit about 90 percent of the time, I currently carry a ruger vaquero in a high ride mernickle holster on my right side. I am looking to carry a back up to the vaquero but I need something light and thin that will fit a thigh or ankle holster.

Heres my criteria:

1. Revolver or semi auto
2.must be at least .32 caliber
3. Wont print easy using the holster methods mentioned
4. budget is capped at 700
5. Must be in a black/blue finish

Depending on how you wear your suits, a Smith & Wesson 442 might be perfect.

An M&P340 would be even better—it weighs less and shoots .357—if you can find one for under $700. I picked up mine used for $600 and it's my EDC at work.

The Ruger LCP is an option, but I would replace the factory grip with something slimmer grip for ankle carry.

Lots of subcompact semi-autos could work. My favorite among these are Sig p238 and p938. The .380 shoots ridiculously smoothly, it's only about 4 inches tall. The p938 is the same height with slightly more recoil. They're less blocky than the Kahr PM/CM9 and they both come with night sights.

Plus, you're comfortable with single action, so that's not an issue.

JERRY
June 8, 2014, 12:35 PM
too many to list; you have quite an open arena.

PistolPete45
June 8, 2014, 01:01 PM
I have been carrying a NAA 22 Magnum for about 32 years give or take . I see they make a Black Jack that would fulfill your not wanting a stainless steel light reflector . Opinions vary on caliber vs velocity. For a back up 5 shots of hollow point 22 Magnum is a good choice .

RustyShackelford
June 8, 2014, 03:32 PM
For back ups or 2nd guns, Id look at these models;
Glock 36 .45acp, S&W 638, 442, 642 J frame, Ruger LCR .38spl +P, SIG Sauer P290RS 9x19mm or P250 sub compact, SIG P239 SASII in .40 or 9x19mm, XDs, M&P Shield in .40 or 9x19mm, Kahr CM9 or CM40.
CT lasers(red or green) are a good add-on; www.Crimsontrace.com . They can help you if you are wounded or unable to aim normally(on the ground, behind cover, etc).
3 dot Trijicon night sights are worth the $$$ too. Low light or night time is when most armed citizen lethal force events occur. www.trijicon.com

To add a after market treatment like Robar NP3+, Bearcoat, Black-T, or Metalife is a good idea. Sweat, lint, crud, dirt may wear or damage a BUG if you carry it often.

Rusty

Fiv3r
June 8, 2014, 04:16 PM
I have yet to find a BUG I like more than the basic Ruger LCP. It's light, reliable, potent (enough), and didn't break the bank.

I put a hybrid grip on mine and installed a strong recoil spring. Shoots like a dream (well as much as you would want to shoot this little monster), and it's riding in my shirt pocket as I type. I carry it in my back pocket, my coat pocket, or any place handy.

Better than a sharp stick.

AABEN
June 8, 2014, 05:30 PM
Bersa 380 Thunder

bannockburn
June 8, 2014, 08:54 PM
BUG #1- S&W Model 442
BUG #2-KelTec P3AT

VA27
June 9, 2014, 12:19 AM
If you insist on the Vaquero, put something serious on your ankle. Over the years I've carried various Colt, Smith and Charter revolvers. I've also carried an H&K P7M8 and a Glock 19, so with a quality ankle holster, a little bigger gun is not out of the question. My suggestion is a Glock 19 or 23. At the very least a 26 or 27. Good luck on the new job!

Barry the Bear
June 9, 2014, 12:21 AM
I have narrowed it down to 5 choices. Taurus Pt709, ruger lcp, ruger lcr,s&w 340, or a sig 2500.

FM12
June 9, 2014, 06:20 AM
If you're married to the Vaquero, I doubt anything on here (comments) will be of much value to you.

moxie
June 9, 2014, 06:59 AM
I'm curious about the concealed thigh holster. How does that work?

StrawHat
June 9, 2014, 08:31 AM
I wonder how long it will be until those of us who carry any kind of revolver will be ridiclued for our choice? I am proficient with SA revolvers but prefer to carry an N frame S&W as my revolver of choice.

The choice BTB has made is just that, HIS choice. He is not demanding that you carry a SA revolver. I find fault with the self loading platform, but I do not disparage those who prefer it.

BLU
June 9, 2014, 09:10 AM
Bought the ankle holster from NAA, on sale, for their Guardian, but.... I use it for the LCP. I don't like ankle holsters, but, this pair is an exception. Comfortable and concealable. I too use this as a BUG while dressed in suit and tie. To each their own but I recommend the NAA ankle holster. You'll forget you have it on with the LCP in there.

BLU
June 9, 2014, 09:18 AM
Straw Hat....

Exactly right. I carried a 1911 on duty for 7 years and I instructed for 20 years. After years of teaching Tap-Rack-Bang... still didn't fire? (then) Rip-Work-Tap-Rack-Bang, I am very proficient at it.

Still.... my normal carry piece is a revolver because: Pull The Trigger Again beats all that crap above!

But, to each their own and I harbor no I'll-will towards someone who doesn't mind going through all of that to get a shot off. It's just not for me.

Madcap_Magician
June 9, 2014, 10:21 AM
My brain is still stuck on the fact that the OP is working for a health insurance company that requires him to wear a suit but does not mind if he carries a large single-action revolver in a belt holster.

Barry the Bear
June 9, 2014, 11:19 AM
They do mine, however I do not. Id rather lose my job than my life. the revolver stays concealed and is.not visible.

WC145
June 9, 2014, 12:06 PM
Are you carrying as part of your job or not?

Schwing
June 9, 2014, 01:20 PM
It seems that a lot of folks either have never held a Vaquero or don't seem to realize that a bullet hole from a SA revolver is the same as a hole from a semi auto of similar caliber.

While I personally would not consider one as my main carry gun, I would, by no means, feel outgunned with one. I have a good feel for some of the reasons why you carry it and would not let any opinions sway you on that. There is a whole "Spray and pray" mentality nowadays that has no regard for the third law of gun safety, the idea being that if you have enough bullets and can pull the trigger fast enough that you will be golden:)

For your criteria, I would check out a Ruger LCR in .38. It is small and light enough to fit in an ankle or even a pocket holster yet has a very comfortable grip and a smooth trigger. For someone who has no aversion to revolvers, I think it is one of the finest smaller options out there.

Cooldill
June 9, 2014, 01:29 PM
If you really think that a single action revolver is a suitable defensive weapon in the year 2014, you are beyond help. Put the cowboy gun down and get something that will actually save your life when you need it, not get you killed.

There are a number of excellent tactical platforms that the operator can choose from these days. Someone else recommended an XDS 45, that sounds just about perfect for you IMHO.

Schwing
June 9, 2014, 01:45 PM
If you really think that a single action revolver is a suitable defensive weapon in the year 2014, you are beyond help. Put the cowboy gun down and get something that will actually save your life when you need it, not get you killed.

I see why most people feel this way but I disagree. People have lost a lot of respect for old timey weapons but they still kill very effectively and with the same level of accuracy and lower level of malfunction.

The article below doesn't specify that a SA revolver was used but it is very clear that this "Cowboy" saved an officer's life one very calculated shot at a time. I also found it amusing that, as it turns out, the office was armed with an AR-15 and was completely ineffective from his pinned down position. The "Cowboy" took out the bad guy from a distance of 100-165 yards with a "Magnum caliber revolver".

http://gunsnfreedom.com/armed-texas-man-saves-police-officer-by-shooting-gunman-at-over-100-yards-with-pistol/

Cooldill
June 9, 2014, 02:05 PM
I see why most people feel this way but I disagree. People have lost a lot of respect for old timey weapons but they still kill very effectively and with the same level of accuracy and lower level of malfunction.

The article below doesn't specify that a SA revolver was used but it is very clear that this "Cowboy" saved an officer's life one very calculated shot at a time. I also found it amusing that, as it turns out, the office was armed with an AR-15 and was completely ineffective from his pinned down position. The "Cowboy" took out the bad guy from a distance of 100-165 yards with a "Magnum caliber revolver".

http://gunsnfreedom.com/armed-texas-man-saves-police-officer-by-shooting-gunman-at-over-100-yards-with-pistol/
Well what does this prove? If the cowboy was armed with a Glock 20 10mm, would the outcome have been any different? I seriously doubt it.

A single action revolver is one step above a cap and ball revolver, which is an utterly useless defensive weapon these days as well. I just don't understand why some people are stuck in the 1800s with the Lone Ranger and whoever else, the fact of the matter is single action revolvers are 100% obsolete for defensive service today, when you have everyone and their brother walking the streets with all manner of high-capacity semi-automatic pistol, which are highly effective, carrying a single action revolver is a step in the WRONG direction and it might well get someone killed.

Schwing
June 9, 2014, 02:19 PM
It's all good. I know why you feel that way I just don't agree that they cannot be effective for self defense. People carry them and even use them in SD situations all of the time.

Having said that, I DON'T carry a SA revolver for the very reasons that you probably don't. I just have a healthy respect for older weapons having seen how well they can be used by someone who is proficient with them. Even cap and ball revolvers will kill with a well placed round as effectively as a round fired from a Glock 20 10mm and, in all of my years, I have seen a revolver malfunction all of one time.

In some respects, I don't disagree with you either. There are reasons why our military and law enforcement gave up revolvers for higher capacity and lighter options. In either case, I wish no offense to your opinions. Our experience and collection define what those opinions are and I am sure yours are different than mine:)

Cooldill
June 9, 2014, 02:27 PM
It's all good. I know why you feel that way I just don't agree that they cannot be effective for self defense. People carry them and even use them in SD situations all of the time.

Having said that, I DON'T carry a SA revolver for the very reasons that you probably don't. I just have a healthy respect for older weapons having seen how well they can be used by someone who is proficient with them. Even cap and ball revolvers will kill with a well placed round as effectively as a round fired from a Glock 20 10mm and, in all of my years, I have seen a revolver malfunction all of one time.

In some respects, I don't disagree with you either. There are reasons why our military and law enforcement gave up revolvers for higher capacity and lighter options. In either case, I wish no offense to your opinions. Our experience and collection define what those opinions are and I am sure yours are different than mine:)
I think modern double-action revolvers are viable for defense though, quite a bit easier to shoot faster with them and reloads can be very rapid. But single action guns? Nuh uh, not these days. JMHO, YMMV.

-CDill

ljnowell
June 9, 2014, 04:28 PM
This has gotten ridiculous. To all those arguing about the OPs choice of a vaquero, he didn't ask your opinion nor is this thread about that. It's about the backup he is going to carry. Climb down off your horses and answer the question asked.

It amazes me that people feel that a six shot revolver isn't adequate in this day and age. The reason this man is carrying a backup is because of slow reloading. Leave him alone about his primary.

Haywood
June 9, 2014, 04:36 PM
I could only suggest what I carry as back up. S&W442 and LCR357.

moxie
June 9, 2014, 04:36 PM
Still curious about that concealed thigh holster.

Any clues how that works??

David E
June 9, 2014, 04:45 PM
Still curious about that concealed thigh holster.

Any clues how that works??
Business suit with a kilt?

moxie
June 9, 2014, 04:50 PM
I can't believe I didn't think of that! :)

murf
June 9, 2014, 05:13 PM
btb,

like the attitude re: the employer. don't let anyone compromise you personal defense setup.

have you thought about a cross-draw rig for your bug?

murf

Barry the Bear
June 9, 2014, 06:32 PM
No I havent thought of a cross draw holster, I was thinking ankle or thigh carry would be the easiest for a back up gun, although crossdraw would be easier to access.

WC145
June 9, 2014, 06:48 PM
This has gotten ridiculous. To all those arguing about the OPs choice of a vaquero, he didn't ask your opinion nor is this thread about that. It's about the backup he is going to carry. Climb down off your horses and answer the question asked.

It amazes me that people feel that a six shot revolver isn't adequate in this day and age. The reason this man is carrying a backup is because of slow reloading. Leave him alone about his primary.
Not a thing wrong with a six shot DA revolver and speed loaders but a single action revolver is a hindrance and could be a liability for professional carry. That is, of course, supposing he is carrying in a professional capacity, that's how he made it sound. The fact that it has to be cocked to be put into action and then the hammer has to be manually dropped on a live round to decock it and take it out of action are two reasons the SA revolver is inappropriate for professional carry. Add to that the fact that compared to a DA revolver they are ridiculously slow to fire and reload and you have a recipe for disaster if the OP is expected to be able to protect himself and others. These are just a few of the reasons that armed professionals don't carry cowboy guns, a fact that some of us that carry guns for a living were trying to point out to the OP.

And where did you see that the OP stated he needed a BUG due to how slow it is to reload the Vaquero? In his original post he stated he had a new job and needed a back up gun, period. His later posts infer that he feels that the Vaquero is an appropriate duty gun, which it is not and, again, some of us were pointing that out. However, if the bad guys all decide to go back to carrying muzzle loading single shot pistols I suppose I could see my dept switching to Vaqueros, Blackhawks, and Colt SAAs for everyone. except SWAT, they'd get Winchester 94s to go with them.

In the grand scheme of things, if this guy gets himself killed on the job because of his choice of weapon, oh well, he brought it on himself. On the other hand, if people he is supposed to be defending or protecting are harmed because of his choice of weapon that's a different story, he is no longer an asset but a liability. I certainly wouldn't want to work next him.

And I did answer his question - the best BUG for an armed professional is a quality small frame DA revolver in an appropriate caliber.

murf
June 9, 2014, 07:23 PM
much easier if you are going to be driving a lot.

murf

hseII
June 9, 2014, 08:07 PM
OP,
This:

Like this:

In your front or back pocket

ljnowell
June 9, 2014, 08:40 PM
Not a thing wrong with a six shot DA revolver and speed loaders but a single action revolver is a hindrance and could be a liability for professional carry. That is, of course, supposing he is carrying in a professional capacity, that's how he made it sound. The fact that it has to be cocked to be put into action and then the hammer has to be manually dropped on a live round to decock it and take it out of action are two reasons the SA revolver is inappropriate for professional carry. Add to that the fact that compared to a DA revolver they are ridiculously slow to fire and reload and you have a recipe for disaster if the OP is expected to be able to protect himself and others. These are just a few of the reasons that armed professionals don't carry cowboy guns, a fact that some of us that carry guns for a living were trying to point out to the OP.

And where did you see that the OP stated he needed a BUG due to how slow it is to reload the Vaquero? In his original post he stated he had a new job and needed a back up gun, period. His later posts infer that he feels that the Vaquero is an appropriate duty gun, which it is not and, again, some of us were pointing that out. However, if the bad guys all decide to go back to carrying muzzle loading single shot pistols I suppose I could see my dept switching to Vaqueros, Blackhawks, and Colt SAAs for everyone. except SWAT, they'd get Winchester 94s to go with them.

In the grand scheme of things, if this guy gets himself killed on the job because of his choice of weapon, oh well, he brought it on himself. On the other hand, if people he is supposed to be defending or protecting are harmed because of his choice of weapon that's a different story, he is no longer an asset but a liability. I certainly wouldn't want to work next him.

And I did answer his question - the best BUG for an armed professional is a quality small frame DA revolver in an appropriate caliber.

The op has answered that he does not carry the gun in an official capacity. If you read the thread he says this plainly. It's quite obvious why he would want the backup gun he doesn't have yo spell it out.

Maybe now we can all get the point and talk about BUGs as the post was originally about.

Something we agree on is bold. Whether a professional or not a small DA revolver is a perfect BUG or primary for a CCWer.

I also agree that I would not carry a SA as a primary gun as a professional(like cop, security). However I do have a soft spot for a sheriffs model with birds head grips. I wouldn't mind it as a ccw for knocking around my little town. I would still carry my j frame though.

M&PVolk
June 9, 2014, 09:21 PM
If you are carrying a revolver as a primary, carry one as a backup. J-frames are probably the most respected BUG out there.

Cooldill
June 9, 2014, 09:40 PM
^ This.

Can't go wrong with a J-frame! Here is mine:

http://s2.postimg.org/c216q62bt/GD_Barami.jpg

Leanwolf
June 9, 2014, 11:30 PM
MOXIE - "Still curious about that concealed thigh holster."

So am I. ;)

L.W.

Madcap_Magician
June 10, 2014, 09:53 AM

You missed it, boss. He's not a cop or an armed guard, he's going to be wearing a suit working as a professional in the health insurance industry. He just wants to be armed and doesn't care what his employer thinks about it.

I can sympathize, and I won't judge people who carry against employer or school policy, but a belt holster with a Ruger Vaquero? OP, are you asking to get fired or something?

You would have to always have your suit coat on and buttoned, and it would have to be tailored specifically to conceal your gun. You would never be able to reach up for anything with your strong-side hand. Even then it would be very difficult to keep concealed.

If that's what you want, more power to you I guess.

USAF_Vet
June 10, 2014, 10:33 AM
I won't disparage the OPs choice for a primary, other than to say I chose differently.

BtB, the Taurus 709slim is my primary carry. I'm a big guy, and comfortably carry it IWB. I personally feel the gun is slightly too big for ankle carry. Never seen a concealed thigh holster, so can't comment on that. I've considered some .32 ACP offerings for back up to the 9mm, mainly Keltec, Beretta, and NAA autoloaders.

Is the .327 magnum still around? A j frame DA revolver in .327 would be a good BUG, but if you're going with a j frame, might as well make it a .38 special.

kbbailey
June 10, 2014, 12:21 PM
The guy likes "old-school".....so what??
So do I.
My only suggestion is that the new bug be the same caliber as the primary.
Why not a Bond Cowboy Defender??
that would seem to fit your M. O.

Barry the Bear
June 10, 2014, 01:39 PM
The guy likes "old-school".....so what??
So do I.
My only suggestion is that the new bug be the same caliber as the primary.
Why not a Bond Cowboy Defender??
that would seem to fit your M. O.
I was thinking about the taurus 455 but people seem to keep them havent seen one locally.

psyopspec
June 19, 2014, 09:36 AM
BtB, out of the choices on your short list, I own and would recommend the LCP. While 9mm is my preferred minimum for SD, the LCP is a gun to carry when I can't carry a gun. It's every easily concealed no matter how one chooses to carry it, and I've had no issues over ~500 rounds with it. I have seen people say that they can't do extended range sessions, but I've also never had sore hands or thought the recoil to be unmanageable.

The only downsides are the sights, and the lack of a slide stop. To me, these are ameliorated through practice at the range, and a realistic view of the SD distances the gun is intended for. Lack of a slide stop is extremely low on my list of things I care about for a BUG, but something to be aware of.

Good luck, and congratulations on the new job!

Teachu2
June 20, 2014, 02:42 PM
I'd think a derringer or a pepperbox would be more appropriate.....:D

B!ngo
June 21, 2014, 01:39 AM
You missed it, boss. He's not a cop or an armed guard, he's going to be wearing a suit working as a professional in the health insurance industry. He just wants to be armed and doesn't care what his employer thinks about it.

I can sympathize, and I won't judge people who carry against employer or school policy, but a belt holster with a Ruger Vaquero? OP, are you asking to get fired or something?

You would have to always have your suit coat on and buttoned, and it would have to be tailored specifically to conceal your gun. You would never be able to reach up for anything with your strong-side hand. Even then it would be very difficult to keep concealed.

If that's what you want, more power to you I guess.
Yes. This seems like the funniest version of something akin to 'telephone' I've seen. I suspect that the OP was referring to the backup gun as a gun that is often used as a backup gun. But in his case, it will be his only gun since he is in a professional setting, not carrying on duty and wants to be extremely discreet.
If a few of us are correct, the OP might have been more clear by using language a bit different from 'backup gun' which implies it's not his primary weapon being carried in the scenario he is describing.
Whether the SA revolver, which is not part of the OP's discussion, is a wise choice of primary carry, which he may or may not be doing, is something else.
No?
B

heycods
June 21, 2014, 03:22 AM
S&W 36, it has been the standard for years for a reason

RustyShackelford
June 21, 2014, 03:26 PM
I heard & read a few years ago....
That the J frame Chief's .38spl revolver was Smith & Wesson's #1 selling item in the USA. :D

There may be a good reason for that. ;)

bikerdoc
June 21, 2014, 04:46 PM
On the job, off duty, and in retirement, I have carried a variety of bugs, mostly J frame snubs.
Last few years I find a Bersa 380cc is ideal for suits or shorts.

Mod note:
Knock off the talk about his primary carry choice. He said in post one it was not open for discussion.

dprice3844444
June 21, 2014, 05:02 PM
ruger lcp 9mm or lcr. keep it cheap and simple,remember,if you have to lose it because you had to use it.either one of the above wouldn't hurt too much. if i was going to carry a revolver,my all time favorite is a s&w 65, 3 inch heavy barrel.

BSA1
June 22, 2014, 12:02 PM

Hummm...I find it interesting that someone who roundly criticizes both the single action revolver and the person that chooses to carry it recommends one of the hardest guns to learn to shoot accurately.

WC145
June 22, 2014, 09:23 PM
Hummm...I find it interesting that someone who roundly criticizes both the single action revolver and the person that chooses to carry it recommends one of the hardest guns to learn to shoot accurately.
It's just another gun, no more or less difficult to learn than any other. With appropriate training and practice and you can do whatever you need to with a J-frame snubby. I've never had any trouble qualifying with mine. In the BUG role the small frame snub shines because it is unaffected by all of the things that can be an issue with autos - no magazine problems, no failures to feed or eject, limp wristing or being out of battery is not a problem, etc. If you are in such dire straights that you need to resort to your BUG you need a gun that will function in the worst of scenarios, up close and personal, like contact shots, and still be capable of accurate fire at distance. Small autos do not meet those needs.

Also, I have no issue with single action revolvers except for professional armed carry, and, yes, it has been made clear to me that the OP is not carrying in a professional capacity. Anyway, the single action revolver is simply too slow to fire and too slow to reload to be considered a practical choice for such use, simple as that. If that wasn't so LE agencies would be issuing Colt SAAs and buscadero rigs.

royal barnes
June 22, 2014, 09:51 PM
As has already been stated I think a good snubbie would be an excellent choice as a BUG or suit carry gun or whatever it's purpose is. As far as a single action being viable for defense just watch some videos of top cowboy action shooters. Many who consider themselves "pistoleros" would come out second best if confronted with one of these men.......or women.:)

Byrd666
June 22, 2014, 10:11 PM
KelTec P3AT or P32 - Trust either 100%

Diehard1
June 23, 2014, 12:18 PM
P938 or p2000sk

tuna
June 23, 2014, 06:35 PM
If you're carrying the Vaquero, I'd go with the idea of a revolver as BUG - but I'd nix the idea of a 642 or LCR.
If you're comfortable with SA revolvers, your muscle memory may keep your thumb looking for a hammer and slow you down when there isn't one.
I'd go for a S&W model 37, Ruger LCRx or an old Colt snubbie.

Now, I'll get flamed for suggesting a hammer'ed revolver for CCW, knowing full well that those evil hammers snag everything - and you'll never win in court if you use SA fire - and revolvers are so outdated you may as well use a Howdah pistol...

But now they'll stop complaining about using a SAA clone.

tomrkba
June 23, 2014, 06:37 PM
Kahr PM9 in 9mm or a Ruger LCP in 380 if you need something smaller.

The LCP is so small it can be carried just about anywhere.

SEDurbin
June 23, 2014, 11:55 PM
Back to the thigh carry; how would you even get to it to draw? Ankle carry is awkward enough.

Combat Engineer
June 26, 2014, 02:57 PM
On occasion I carry a 45 cal short barreled Vaquero, which will hold its own vs any auto loader...for 6 rounds that is, which is why a New York reload is mandatory.

Also always carry an ankle gun, for many years it was a Walther PPK, arguably the finest CC pistol ever. However, recently upgraded to a 1911 Kimber Ultra RCP II, but you will be lucky to find a (used) one for $700. The PPK is within your budget.

Best to you.

krupparms
June 27, 2014, 12:00 AM
I would pick a S&W J frame, in .38SPL. or a P-32 /P3AT!

JTHunter
June 27, 2014, 12:42 AM
Barry - there used to be a "holster" that you could carry as if it were a wallet and put in your back pocket. It was designed to hold a .32 ACP fairly securely with a small notch in the "hinge" for the barrel and holes for your trigger finger.

Nice, surreptitious way to get the drop on that mugger. :D

ljnowell
June 27, 2014, 06:42 AM
If you're carrying the Vaquero, I'd go with the idea of a revolver as BUG - but I'd nix the idea of a 642 or LCR.

If you're comfortable with SA revolvers, your muscle memory may keep your thumb looking for a hammer and slow you down when there isn't one.

I'd go for a S&W model 37, Ruger LCRx or an old Colt snubbie.

Now, I'll get flamed for suggesting a hammer'ed revolver for CCW, knowing full well that those evil hammers snag everything - and you'll never win in court if you use SA fire - and revolvers are so outdated you may as well use a Howdah pistol...

But now they'll stop complaining about using a SAA clone.

I kind of agree with you. I used to have an LCR and I really liked it, it had a great trigger. I have a S&W 637 now and I like it just as well. I have practiced drawing from holster concealed and drawing from pocket with it and the hammer snag issue is just as you implied, certainly no big deal.

If you enjoyed reading about "Looking for a back up gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!