Possible Durham, NC move. Any gun relevant info?

PDA

larryh1108
June 10, 2014, 05:55 PM
As the title shows, my wife is considering a move to work at the VA in Durham. This would mean a move to the proximinity of the VA campus. Any suggestions of the more gun friendly areas and how is the gun climate in NC and the Durham area? Thanks for any help. The info will help me decide if it's a good move or a no-go move.

If you enjoyed reading about "Possible Durham, NC move. Any gun relevant info?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bottom shelf
June 10, 2014, 06:36 PM
Yes. It is the only county in NC that has handgun registration. I don't know if it's mandatory or not.

larryh1108
June 10, 2014, 06:39 PM
Living outside that county is an option. Any good places to look for an apt to start?

Scott-NC
June 10, 2014, 07:41 PM
Larry, This is all my opinion- YMMV. Durham is a great town. People that live in Durham seem to like it. People that live in Wake County (Raleigh and Cary/Apex) may disagree. There seems to be a minor rivalry between these areas. I once saw a tee shirt that said "I'd rather get shot in Durham than die of boredom in Cary". That's about right... I think most would say Durham is a great place if you want a little city evening outing (baseball game, theatre, etc.) But many head back to their suburb elsewhere. Most people that live in Chapel Hill, or Cary/Apex or North Raleigh tend to stay in their worlds, I think.

Now about what you asked- gun relevant info... As has been mentioned Durham requires handgun registration, I don't know the details. It is not the friendliest area for a gun enthusiast. You may look at areas off of 40/85 like Mebane, Hillsborough etc. if you want to be near the VA time wise. Regarding apartments- You also might check Off of Rt 70 between Rts 440 and 98. Seems to me there are a lot of apartments in that area.

A question you didn't ask that could help guide you is "Where would one move if they wanted to be surrounded by like-minded anti-gun prius owners". The answer would be Chapel Hill and Carrboro for sure, and to a lesser degree Durham.

In any case we welcome someone from the north that does not bring anti-gun attitudes. Hope that helps.

larryh1108
June 10, 2014, 08:07 PM
Lol, well written Scott.
I appreciate what you wrote and that is what I am looking for.

So, I will ask... where is the best place to find PRO-gun people who don't keep their undies tied up their back end and who appreciate a good day at the range or reloading bench? We just want to live within a reasonable driving distance to the hospital, not in the actual city or college campus area.

tightgroup tiger
June 10, 2014, 08:32 PM
Scott and bottom shelf are spot on. I moved to Kernersville, NC 6 yrs ago from Pennsylvania and I haven't seen any problems with guns down here no matter where I go. Durham is the only place I know of with more stringent gun laws. Kernersville is between Winston Salem and Greensboro. I miss home but I enjoy living here. You sure won't miss winter.

Everybody I know carries a hand gun where I live, not because we need to but because we want to.

The only thing I was disappointed with was that they wouldn't honor my PA concealed carry permit of 30 years when I became a North Carolina citizen.

You have to qualify with a hand gun at 7 yds by putting 40out of 50 inside the 7 ring which is a piece of cake for anyone that's familiar with shooting them.

When I qualified for my permit I took my target out with one big hole in the bullseye. The kid working there said he couldn't count more than one hole and had to go ask someone if that was allowed. Couldn't believe it. The owner looked at it and started laughing. It was all good.

I had to take the NC 8 hour training class also. It cost me $90.00 for the permit and $100.00 for the training coarse and 6month subscription to the indoor range I shoot at.

The permit is good for 5 years.

Good luck

larryh1108
June 10, 2014, 08:55 PM
Thanks, TT. That's good info. I wonder if the mandatory NRA certified course I had to take in CT will do in NC,,,, or the mandatory course I had to take for the Utah permit.

What about my guns that I already own and bring instate? Are they ok at home until I get my permit or do I have to leave them somewhere until I get permitted up?

Does anybody know if it's Raleigh or Durham or the counties that require the handgun permit? No need to jump thru those hoops again, I just won't move there. Their loss as my tax dollars spend as good as the anti's money.

v8stang289
June 10, 2014, 09:18 PM
It's Durham County that requires handgun registration, Raleigh/Wake county does not. I lived in Raleigh for several years and it's relatively gun friendly with several gunshops and ranges.

You don't have to have a permit to possess a handgun in NC, and as far as I know Durham is the only area that requires registration. I'm not sure how long you have to register your firearms once you move into Durham county.

NC does have archaic pistol purchase permit laws that require you to have a county sheriff issued "purchase permit" or a concealed handgun permit when buying a handgun. Your Utah and CT classes will not work for the NC concealed carry permit. You will have to sit through the ~8 hour course (which contains good info pertinent to NC laws and carrying) and then qualify and file the paperwork with the county sheriff's dept, then play the waiting game, 6-8 weeks around here.

Overall the people of NC are gun friendly, especially when you get away from the cities and into the rural towns.

larryh1108
June 10, 2014, 09:30 PM
Thanks, V8. Does anyone know how traffic is during rush hour from Raleigh to Durham? It seems like Burlington is a place to stay away from. Any other "no go" areas around the Raleigh-Durham area? How about Timberlake/Roxboro area? Or? We'll need to rent until we can find a place to buy so I'm flexible where I start out but want to be "safe".

v8stang289
June 10, 2014, 09:56 PM
In Raleigh on I40 the traffic can be congested at times, but is not horrible unless there is a wreck or ice/snow, etc. It may slow from time to time, but rarely reaches a standstill. I only headed towards Durham from Raleigh a few times during rush hour, but it was pretty much the same.

Scott-NC
June 10, 2014, 10:14 PM
V8 said: "Overall the people of NC are gun friendly, especially when you get away from the cities and into the rural towns."

So True! This is what I was saying about Mebane and Hillsborough. They are a little more rural. In the rural areas, you are the minority if you are anti. But you will also have to get past a little of the "anti up north" stuff. Overall they are great people. As long as you don't start sentences with "well up north we...." you'll be fine. They don't give a sh1t how you did it up north- you are part of the problem if you think that way. LOL. When we moved from up north we picked Apex because we felt like we could be transplants like everyone else and there was some comfort in that. We got the feeling in some of the established areas of Raleigh we could live there for 10 years and still be the new people on the block. On our street the neighbors are from all over the US (mostly North of here). As in- 10 neighbors on the street- two from NC. From 2010 to 2013 (and til now probably) there were about 3,000 new residents per month in Wake county. The growth is unbelievable. There is growth pretty much everywhere in NC. So what this brings is opportunity- AND- a bunch of people that come from states that have been ruined by the policies that have been voted into law.... Some of them are trying to escape the policies, some of them are clueless and continue to vote for the crap that ruined their states.
I love the people of NC. I always say I wasn't born here but I got here as fast as I could.

OH- about traffic- if you know real traffic (DC/San Fran, Atlanta, Boston, LA, Chicago) there is NO TRAFFIC here. People will tell you there is traffic. It's kind of cute when they say that. Traffic means a 20 mile trip takes you 40 minutes. They just don't realize that in some areas of the country you could damn near walk faster than driving.

Good luck with your decision.

larryh1108
June 11, 2014, 05:23 AM
Thanks, guys. It sounds like a good area to look. After leaving IL and now CT, I'm done with states trampling on our rights. The sound of minimal traffic also sounds nice.

hammerklavier
June 11, 2014, 12:59 PM
I lived in Durham 15 years and recently moved to Mebane. Durham is a great town. Only the city has the gun registration, most of the county is also the city except a few places in the northern part. That would work for the VA commute. The commute from Raleigh to Durham is awful, at least on I40.

hammerklavier
June 11, 2014, 01:00 PM
That said,I would recommend Granville or Orange county.

paintballdude902
June 11, 2014, 03:20 PM
avoid durham. move next door LOL

NC has pistol purchasing permits that you need to get from the sheriff to buy a pistol but no waiting period. CC is pretty standard, no carrying to schools, places that are posted or any where that serves booze. you can open carry without much hassle in most places.

i never got an NC carry permit since i was 20 when i enlisted and moved to FL but i still open carry whenever im home even with my florida carry permit being valid.

if you get pulled over and you have a pistol and no permit? toss it on the dash... pretty simple

im torn on moving back at some point, NC tends to lack on industry in some ways and doesn't offer the most opportunity for someone starting a civilian career. but.. NC is one of the best states i have lived or visited. good hunting, great fishing, great camping, ok taxes, you can watch the sun rise over the ocean and set over the mountains and tons of friendly people.

edit:

BTW EASTERN NC HAS THE BEST BARBECUE........... IN THE WORLD........ if you disagree please dont move to NC :)

larryh1108
June 11, 2014, 03:41 PM
I like what I hear so far.
Thanks for the suggestions.
I've been looking at Apex.... any thoughts and is it in the right county?

pkariher
June 11, 2014, 04:03 PM
It really depends on where you will be working. If you will be working in Durham, Apex is a long way to go. A possible hour commute each way.

I see Durham as still having some affordable housing when compared to some of our surrounding cities. You didn't mention kids or schools. Northern Durham has good schools and a low crime rate.

pkariher
June 11, 2014, 04:09 PM
I see now she is looking at the VA Hospital. As mentioned by others, Hillsborough, Mebane, and Orange County are good options. I am preferential to Northern Durham, since I live there. Having a short commute here is wonderful. She could end up with a 5 or 10 minute commute. Especially nice if she is a nurse or doctor and has to be at the hospital when it is snow or ice season.

dusty14u
June 11, 2014, 07:54 PM
NC has pistol purchasing permits that you need to get from the sheriff to buy a pistol but no waiting period. CC is pretty standard, no carrying to schools, places that are posted or any where that serves booze. you can open carry without much hassle in most places.

It is perfectly legal to carry a concealed weapon into any place that serves alcohol. Refrain from drinking. All of this was passed in HB650 and then HB937 defined certain areas that cities and counties tried to over reach their authorites on.

One thing to note is NC is a notify LEO state so always be prepared to show your concealed carry permit if you get pulled. If you have no permit place handgun on dash or in plain view on a seat.

Grass Roots North Carolina(grnc) is a valuable resource for current gun laws, legislation and other 2nd Amendment issues in NC.

tightgroup tiger
June 11, 2014, 09:49 PM
It is perfectly legal to carry a concealed weapon into any place that serves alcohol. Refrain from drinking

I thought that was repealed about 6 months after it was adopted. You better ask that question in the legal section.

What about my guns that I already own and bring instate?

I know what I did with mine but maybe you better ask that in the legal section also.

Fishbed77
June 11, 2014, 11:15 PM
Thanks guys for reminding me again how much better South Carolina is than North Carolina! :cool:

dusty14u
June 12, 2014, 08:49 AM
I thought that was repealed about 6 months after it was adopted. You better ask that question in the legal section.

I know what I did with mine but maybe you better ask that in the legal section also.
Here are the gun laws of NC from the AG as of 2014

http://www.ncdoj.com/getdoc/32344299-a2a7-4ae5-99fd-9018262f64ac/2007-NC-Firearms-gun-Laws.aspx

Cut and pasted from the PDF

Permittees are specifically allowed to carry a concealed handgun in the following areas:
Premises where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed unless the
premises is posted to prohibit the possession or carrying of firearms. Of
course, the permittee may not consume any alcohol while carrying in this
area. N.C. Gen. Stat. 14-269.3.
19 2. Premises where a fee is charged for admission unless the premises is
posted to prohibit the possession or carrying of firearms. N.C. Gen. Stat.
14-269.3.
3. Parades and funerals unless the area is posted to prohibit the possession or
carrying of firearms. N.C. Gen. Stat. 14-277.2.
4. Grounds or waters of a park within the State Parks System as defined in
G.S. 113-44.9.
As provided in G.S. 14-269.4(5), it is lawful for any person to carry a firearm openly,
or to carry a concealed handgun with a concealed carry permit, at any State-owned rest area, at
any State-owned rest stop along the highways, and at any State-owned hunting and fishing
reservation. N.C. Gen. Stat. 14-415.11(c).

packpike
June 12, 2014, 12:54 PM
I love the 'of course' in the can't drink section as if it's common knowledge that having a beer while CC'ing is unheard of. Anyway, I grew up in western NC, went to school in Raleigh and was in Mebane yesterday on business. I agree that I would move slightly out of Durham, but no so far that the commute is long. I was always told that Cary stood for 'containment area for relocated Yankees' so note the comments made earlier that no one really wants to hear how great things were done up north.

larryh1108
June 12, 2014, 02:20 PM
no one really wants to hear how great things were done up north.

This would never come out of my mouth. If things are done so well up north, why is it so screwed up? As for the BBQ, I've heard it is the best, period. Of course, my taste buds will be my judge but good BBQ is good BBQ.

I'm reading the link dusty provided (thanks). Nothing like reading the actual document but these things are sure wordy! 40+ pages to cover 2 pages of nuts and bolts.... geez.

packpike
June 12, 2014, 02:31 PM
There is a rivalry between eastern (mustard based sauce) vs western (tomato based sauce) NC BBQ, but they're both delicious, so you can't lose.

dusty14u
June 12, 2014, 02:34 PM
Larry- that is everything you need to need to know about legalities in NC. It is long and you will find some areas in NC feel they are above pre-emption and will try to enact illegal laws, so be vigilant. Some places have had to be threatened to be sued before removing outdated gun bans in parks and such.

GNRC is a good source and they have a free email service to alert citizens to what is going on in the state. If you move to the Raleigh area you will be about 1-1/2 hrs west of me.

MrBorland
June 12, 2014, 03:07 PM
Larry -

I can recommend the northern/western part of Durham county. Very easy commute to the VA, with some elbow room at home. Hillsborough's very nice, and while the commute traffic ought not be bad, I'd guess at a 30-40ish minute commute. Mebane is just past Hillsborough, so the commute would be a bit longer.

Despite the higher home prices, people with children gravitate to Chapel Hill for the excellent schools.

The commute in from Raleigh, Cary, Apex, Briarcreek is something I'm glad I don't have to deal with.

As far as shooting, there are several clubs (Durham Wildlife, Durham Pistol & Rifle, Sir walter Raleigh), but my recommendation is to check out Caswell Ranch. No club BS, directly north (approx 25 min) of Hillsborough, and the best annual rate going. The owner/operator lives there, and is/was a top shooter himself. When I go, I usually have the place to myself.

v8stang289
June 12, 2014, 07:56 PM
packpike said "There is a rivalry between eastern (mustard based sauce) vs western (tomato based sauce) NC BBQ, but they're both delicious, so you can't lose."

To clear things up I've heard this many times, but it's simply not true. Eastern NC BBQ sauce does not contain mustard! It is apple cider vinegar based, with spices and a few other things added. But definitely no mustard. I've heard this a few times, even once on the history channel from someone in Lexington NC. From what I understand, Some SC BBQ sauces are mustard based, but not Eastern NC. :D
/thread derailment.

lionken07
June 12, 2014, 08:52 PM
I don't have much to add but good luck on your way South. You are very lucky to move to a free state. I wish I can do the same but I'm stuck here in the meantime.

tightgroup tiger
June 12, 2014, 09:11 PM
To clear things up I've heard this many times, but it's simply not true. Eastern NC BBQ sauce does not contain mustard!

While were clearing things up, I like someone to clear up the next post.

I was always told that Cary stood for 'containment area for relocated Yankees' so note the comments made earlier that no one really wants to hear how great things were done up north.

What exactly does that mean?

larryh1108
June 12, 2014, 09:56 PM
i believe anything related to NC is relevant, it's not a thread derail.

I've also seen that the "mustard based" BBQ uses mustard seed in the rub. So, it's not a yellow kind of mustard we think about but combined with the cider vinegar and you do have "mustard".

The comment about Cary was meant for an earlier post about how the northern transplants always mention how things are done up north. That will never come from my lips because it is so screwed up in New England. They want to be like their namesake, England. No thanks.

It looks like it's a 90% chance we're going there. She got the job offer. I need to see if my job can also relocate me. We're going to look in Hillsborough because many have said it's a great place to live around there.

blakeci
June 13, 2014, 12:36 PM
just make sure you swing by the town of Fuquay-Varina in Wake county for the best gun shop in the area, Fuquay Gun and Gold:D

larryh1108
June 13, 2014, 02:40 PM
Well, my job said they can move me.
It looks like I'm going to leave CT in my rear view mirror.
I will send our govenor a letter when I leave telling him why I left.
I'll also try to tell him how much tax money it will cost his state.
If he wants to act like a puppet to Obama he needs to know the cost.

I love the idea of a great gun shop. I will check it out.
I also need to find ranges and/or a gun club as well.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
It has helped more than you know.
I'm still looking for anything NC that may help this move.
Anything at all.

Hometeached1
June 13, 2014, 03:29 PM
Welcome to NC! Some of the laws are vague, especially the knife laws and "no gun signs" must displayed "consciously" to have force of law. I feel that should be clarified just a little more.

Some people make a big deal out of the BBQ, but you have to have the Calabash style seafood! :D

Red Wind
June 13, 2014, 07:30 PM
dupe-delete please

Red Wind
June 13, 2014, 07:34 PM
There is a rivalry between eastern (mustard based sauce) vs western (tomato based sauce) NC BBQ, but they're both delicious, so you can't lose

As a annual summer resident of Murphy (far west Cherokee County) I believe its hard to beat our western barbecue. Congratulations on both of you being about to head to the Tarheel State.

My older sister lived in Greensboro for 40 years, so I've been coming to NC since 1949. The friendliest people in the whole USA, IMO. :cool:

In the Raleigh -Durham area there are tremendous sports rivalries between UNC,NC State,Duke and Wake Forest. So just pick a team and join the fun.

http://content.sportslogos.net/logos/33/775/thumbs/en1rvhk9yvlmscf8e854.gif

There is one my teams many logos. ;)

Gun wise you are heading to the most unfriendly part of the state, but still cool compared to those northern environs you are leaving in the rear view mirror. :D

Hometeached1
June 13, 2014, 07:56 PM
On June 17, 2014, Representative Tim Moore is bringing to a hearing Senate Bill 226. If passed, this bill will make void the Durham County handgun registry. So there is hope.

Red Wind
June 13, 2014, 08:33 PM
On June 17, 2014, Representative Tim Moore is bringing to a hearing Senate Bill 226. If passed, this bill will make void the Durham County handgun registry. So there is hope.

That'll just break the heart of so many of those Duke professors and students. :rolleyes:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/b6/Duke_University_Crest.svg/150px-Duke_University_Crest.svg.png

Jaxondog
June 14, 2014, 06:24 PM
I lived in Durham my first 41 yr's and can honestly say I have had some good time's growing up there. Since I moved out and up the road a piece to Culbreth [ between Creedmoor and Bahama ] or Timberlake and Stem 22 years ago I find it was the best move I have ever made. There are parts of Durham that are worth living in but mostly it is a POS town for illegals, gang members and was ahead of the charts in Murder's just a couple years ago. The others on here that say " oh its a wonderful place" either have never been there long, just drove thru, [ which you don't see Durham as it is driving through ] or live on the Duke Campus. My recommendations would be try any of the surrounding cities, seriously.

larryh1108
June 14, 2014, 06:41 PM
Found a place in Hillsborough today. Already talked to a rental agent. Deposit paid. Hillsborough, NC here we come. You guys here made this happen. Thanks for all the help.

Now, let's talk about what is what and where to do it near Hillsborough. We've committed there today so now it's time to get down to business.

Gun ranges?
Indoor and outdoor?
Local and chain gun stores?
Affordable gun clubs?
Any IDPA, bowling pin or steel shoots?
If you were just coming to this area from a gun unfriendly area, what would you do?

Red Wind
June 14, 2014, 07:42 PM
If you were just coming to this area from a gun unfriendly area, what would you do?

First off,I would feel blessed! :) Then become a fervent UNC booster. :D
Then buy a gun to celebrate. :cool:

larryh1108
June 14, 2014, 07:48 PM
First off,I would feel blessed!

I DO! I DO!

Then become a fervent UNC booster.

Well, I lived in Chicago during the entire Michael Jordan era. That count?

Then buy a gun to celebrate.

I think I have that covered! :cool:

Hometeached1
June 14, 2014, 07:52 PM
Does it hold more than 10rds? :D

larryh1108
June 14, 2014, 07:57 PM
Lol, They sure do! However, the mags are registered in the state of CT. It will be a waste of good paper now!

MrBorland
June 14, 2014, 09:34 PM
Cool. I love Hillsborough. My wife and I just came from having dinner there tonight.

Now, let's talk about what is what and where to do it near Hillsborough. We've committed there today so now it's time to get down to business.

Gun ranges?
Indoor and outdoor?
Local and chain gun stores?
Affordable gun clubs?
Any IDPA, bowling pin or steel shoots?

I covered many of the ranges in my earlier post. If you live in Hillsborough, Durham Pistol & Rifle is likely closest, but Caswell Ranch would be my recommendation. Straight up 86 about 20ish minutes. The annual fee at Caswell isn't prorated, though, so if you joined now, it'd cost the same as had you joined last Jan 1. Still, I'd prefer it over any of the clubs.

One place I didn't mention is the Durham Wildlife Club, in southern Durham County. It's largely a shotgun club, but they allow handguns and rimfire rifle. For members, I believe they still hold IDPA matches during the week.

There's an indoor range in Raleigh (Personal Defense & Handgun Safety Center) if you're looking for an indoor range. They also hold monthly indoor IDPA matches.

Guns shops? There are numerous mom & pops, but the biggest & closest to Hillsborough is Mace Sports, just off I-40 in Mebane. There are Gander Mountains in Greensboro and Morrisville.

The Range in Oxford is a private range that holds IDPA matches. Matter of fact, it's one of the top IDPA venues in the country, hosting the annual Carolina Cup, and Nationals 2 years ago. If you're interested in IDPA, there's no better place. They also hold a monthly Steel Challenge match.

Caswell Ranch used to hold IDPA matches. The owner is a DM-level shooter, and very helpful for those wanting to improve. Matter of fact, the range is still setup so you can set up & run your own IDPA scenarios.

Sir Walter Raleigh Gun Club has monthly USPSA matches. If you're interested in bullseye pistol or highpower rifle competition, SWRGC and DPRC hold monthly matches. If you're really into HighPower rifle, Camp Butner is just up the road, and they hold full XTC matches.

Red Wind
June 14, 2014, 11:17 PM
Well, I lived in Chicago during the entire Michael Jordan era. That count?

That is an excellent start towards becoming a UNC Tar Heel partisan! :D I became one in 1957 when Carolina, led by All America, Lennie Rosenbluth, (also born in Brooklyn like Michael :cool:) defeated Kansas and the great Wilt Chamberlain, 54-53 in Triple OT, for their very first title.

The most exciting college game of my life til this day. It was a heart pounder.

But seriously, you go your own way and just enjoy Carolina life and your new freedom with guns and life in general. My second home,NC, is a wonderful place. From Cape Hatteras to Cherokee, you got it all. :)

paintballdude902
June 15, 2014, 03:03 PM
Glad to hear NC can now carry in places that serve alcohol. i havent been back in a year for anything longer than an over nighter off the highway

There is a rivalry between eastern (mustard based sauce) vs western (tomato based sauce) NC BBQ, but they're both delicious, so you can't lose.

theres something wrong with you :). its all about the vinegar based sauces..... btw western is the worst. source:15 years experience

hammerklavier
June 15, 2014, 10:11 PM
To clear up an earlier post, Cary is town bordering on Raleigh. It was long said that it stood for containment area for relocated Yankees because so many of them choose to live there in their 500k homes on quarter acre lots with restrictive home owners associations. But for 10 years now, I've been saying the containment failed - they're everywhere now.

Red Wind
June 15, 2014, 11:57 PM
Has the Carolina Shooters Club website been mentioned? There are a fine bunch of people on the forum and it is a very well run site. Here is the address:

http://www.carolinashootersclub.com/

Green Lantern
June 16, 2014, 12:53 AM
I'm a westerner in NC, so can't help you a lot specifically...

One thing going for you pro-gun wise is that I think Durham is pretty close to the Appleseed home range in Ramseur, NC. :D

NC has made great, great strides in 2A rights since breaking the Democrats' far-too-long hold on the legislature....but vote carefully, just because someone has an "R" next to their name does not always mean they're pro-gun.

That aside, compared to a state like CT? It'll seem like heaven!

The aforementioned GRNC is a great org to join.

Good luck on the move, and welcome in advance. Always glad to add more pro-2A types to the mix here in NC!

Scott-NC
June 18, 2014, 11:34 PM
Looks like the previously mentioned bill passed- no more Durham gun registration.

http://www.wral.com/house-roundup-pension-guns-religion-bills-pass/13745536/

larryh1108
June 19, 2014, 05:35 AM
Now that's great news. Is it not a good idea to OC in any specific city or county? I like OC over CC so from what I read no permit is required, right?

content
June 19, 2014, 05:47 AM
Move to the town nearest the VA that has the most gun shops. N.C. is open carry, the further you get from Chapelhill, the easier it gets.

Check the Property Taxes too, the differences a mile can save you will be a surprise if you ever buy property.

laeng123
June 20, 2014, 10:47 AM
As a retired LEO, Durham, check out Northern Durham. Good schools and housing. Also Roxboro. Depending on your resources for housing, Treyburn in northern Durham county. Nice houses, ie. expensive. Also Blackhorse Run, also Northern Durham. Good luck.

larryh1108
June 20, 2014, 02:48 PM
Thanks, everyone has been very helpful. If the responses here are any indication of how great the people in NC are then it will be a great move.

We are moving to Hillsboro to rent for a year and to take our time to find a place to buy and to also make sure she likes her position at the VA. I don't see why she wouldn't but it's always best to err on the side of caution. She's a technician and runs some of the medical equiptment used in diagnosis.

I am amazed at the number of suggestions and offers to go shooting I've received. Hopefully, a number of great friendships will come of all of this. I'm almost speechless and that's hard to do! Thanks to everyone.

Hometeached1
June 20, 2014, 06:05 PM
As far as OC you should be good, but check local laws. I know in Cary the handgun as to be bigger than 6.5" (I think), but overall you should be just fine. :)

Green Lantern
June 21, 2014, 10:32 PM
As far as OC you should be good, but check local laws. I know in Cary the handgun as to be bigger than 6.5" (I think), but overall you should be just fine.

Seriously??? Geez louise. Don't we have a preemption law, where localities can't make their own willy-nilly laws like that when they're not in line with State law?

If you enjoyed reading about "Possible Durham, NC move. Any gun relevant info?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!