anyone hunting sight hounds in the S.E

PDA

kyboy28
June 13, 2014, 05:35 PM
Hi my name is Jonathan and I am thinking about getting into hunting sight hounds I am tthinking about it because I like the old ways of hunting they are the coolest ways but If anyone else from the S.E is running them and can give a new guy some tips any would be great thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "anyone hunting sight hounds in the S.E" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Art Eatman
June 13, 2014, 07:53 PM
About the only area I know of for using hounds is in the Appalachicola National Forest in Florida. They used to, anyway.

Hard to find large-enough tracts of land for free-ranging hounds, and not have them trespass to where they aren't wanted.

kyboy28
June 13, 2014, 08:08 PM
What I should have said since the dogs take the game they are not let loss until the game is seen is how many do people run and do you run them with dogs to run out the game to them

tahunua001
June 14, 2014, 01:34 PM
I would seriously scrutinize your fish and game regulations. some states seriously ban hunting with dogs or only allow them for certain game. for instance, in Idaho, dogs are only allowed for the fall black bear hunt and are banned during all other open hunt seasons(with about a week of overlap here and there) because they harass the other wildlife. your state may have similar regulations or none at all.

Art Eatman
June 14, 2014, 04:32 PM
The SE is at least nine states, with nine different sets of laws. As far as using dogs, it varies from not-at-all to okay-for-some-critters.

olafhardtB
June 14, 2014, 05:05 PM
I have never hunted sight hounds. Are they anything like coyotes, what's the limit? Seriously seems I have heard of them being used to grab hogs by the ear after the hounds cornered it.

Patocazador
June 14, 2014, 05:58 PM
The only instances I have heard of was Kansas hunters using greyhounds to sight and kill coyotes.

To use sight hounds, you have to have bare open country and most of the Southeast doesn't qualify.
You also have to have dogs trained to run down and catch/kill the game. Salukis, Borzoi, Afghans, etc. have been turned into showdogs. Greyhounds are about the only choice.

Yarddog
June 14, 2014, 06:33 PM
Years ago N/E Fl, We ran deer with dogs on WMA. Sure is alot of fun & the older folk just like to hear their dogs, Did'nt matter if they killed deer or not.

There is a few places left to run deer with dogs. I like to sit in a stand myself ; )
Y/D

Patocazador
June 14, 2014, 07:54 PM
Most of the responses indicate that the term "sighthound" is unknown to many. These dogs hunt by sighting the game rather than 'scenting' it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sight_hounds

mquail
June 15, 2014, 11:39 AM
You might pick up the book "GAZEHOUNDS & COURSING" From what I've seen I doubt you have enough open land in FL to get it done but I don't live in FL and might be surprised. And, of course, you'd have to check the local laws on what you can and can't do. The folks I know are using them on jacks and coyotes. Good luck
http://www.high-lonesomebooks.com/cgi-bin/hlb/2722.html

Art Eatman
June 15, 2014, 12:15 PM
An article in "Argosy" magazine, maybe sixty years ago, showed a couple in New Mexico who hunted coyotes with their pet cheetah. Does that count? :)

mquail
June 15, 2014, 12:22 PM
That was Dan Mannix. He wrote "A Sporting Chance" which covered some of the hunting with his cheetah. Dan was a prolific author and avid hunter. Back in the 60's a friend of mine visited him he told me the cheetah had the run of his house when he was there.

buck460XVR
June 15, 2014, 02:04 PM
The use of Sighthounds in the U.S. is very limited. Probably more Falconers in the country than those that use Gazehounds. One of the problems is having the area to run them, and the other is having appropriate game. Most states don't allow a hunter to intentionally use a dog to kill game, only to pursue them. Exceptions are generally nuisance animals, and predators. Sometimes small game like rabbits. Around here many houndsmen that hunt 'yotes have what they call their "kill" dogs. These dogs are generally left leased till the end of the chase and do not really "trail" the 'yote like the other hounds. They generally either go to the sound of the other dogs or chase the then tired 'yote by sight. The result is not petty, nor is it considered "ethical" by many.

If you enjoyed reading about "anyone hunting sight hounds in the S.E" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!