New Slide on Champion Frame

PDA

Texasred
June 18, 2014, 12:25 AM
I was curious if I could mount a fullsize or commander size slide on my Stainless Loaded Champion. I would prefer to put a 5" Carbon slide because I like the look and would prefer a bushing barrel. I am aware that it would most likely cost as much as a new gun. But I am planning on starting a ground up custom build for said gun.

How far out of the question is 9mm or 38 super? I would be able to accumulate the parts as opposed to just buying a new 1000.00 dollar gun. Plus I am currently overseas and can't buy guns at the moment. But I can stockpile parts via the internet in the meantime.

If you enjoyed reading about "New Slide on Champion Frame" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BBBBill
June 18, 2014, 01:45 PM
The Champion is Springfield's near equivalent to the Colt Commander. Without having the frame in hand to compare with a Commander, there's no way to tell if it is exactly the same. I suspect that it is close enough to work with a Commander slide, but I would check that with someone who has access to both to verify. The 5" Gov't length would not work without some welding to lengthen the dust cover and other minor mods like a custom recoil spring guide. The frame feed ramp might also be a concern as the 45 is different from the 9/38S. Sometimes they work, sometimes not.
Why not start with a clean slate? Caspian or other brand frame (there are several new offerings that are nice) with the parts you want. .As for the $1000 gun, that's not going to get you much when you add up the cost of the good parts these days.

If you enjoyed reading about "New Slide on Champion Frame" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!