Monster Hunter: Nemesis

PDA

Hk Paul
June 18, 2014, 08:04 PM
I did a search and could not find a topic of Larry Correia's latest Monster Hunter book. How in the world is there not a thread on it?

To be Frank (no pun intended), the Monster Hunter series are the only fiction that I read. That's quite sad given the fact that there are a lot of classics out there, but that is also a testament to how good these books are.

Is anyone as pumped as I am for the new installment? I can't wait to dive into Agent Franks background.

You can read more about it here: http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Hunter-Nemesis-Larry-Correia/dp/1476736553

If you enjoyed reading about "Monster Hunter: Nemesis" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Robert
June 18, 2014, 09:09 PM
Larry is a member here and we have had more than one thread on his books over the years.

USAF_Vet
June 19, 2014, 02:28 AM
This is one series I've been wanting to get started on. I'm a little late to the game, though.

MistWolf
June 19, 2014, 02:58 AM
The one I've enjoyed the most so far was Alpha. Haven't had a chance at Nemesis yet- last time I checked, it wasn't available at Audible yet.

I've got to say, I got a real kick out of Management. It one of those "Why didn't I think of that?" things

Deus Machina
June 19, 2014, 03:48 AM
Haven't managed Nemesis yet, either. Can't find it locally.

All the books have been fun, and I like the writing after the first (which he pokes fun at later; in Legion Owen notes that his old debriefing accounts used to be pretty stiff) when it loosens up.

I pegged Management very early in the book. It's extremely fitting for the setting. I've been pretty good about calling the monsters and myths, but I grew up on fantasy and sci-fi, play D&D, and am myself a bit of a writer. It's usually "how would this fit into a modern world?," "How would this not-quite-fit into tradition?," or "What would Correia's sense of humor shoehorn this into?" I'm usually right and whether or not I am, it's never a disappointment.

I still get a giggle out of the local elves.

GoWolfpack
June 19, 2014, 08:13 AM
Nemesis doesn't come out in hardcover for a few more weeks. The ebook is out now.

Buy from Larry here (http://monsterhunternation.com/2014/06/18/monster-hunter-nemesis-ebook-is-out-early/)

Buy from Uncle Hugo's Science Fiction Bookstore by July 3 and get it signed and personalized. Link (http://www.unclehugo.com/prod/ah-correia-larry.php)

*Disclaimer: I am a fan, not a paid spokesperson for Larry Correia or Uncle Hugo's.

On An Island
June 19, 2014, 10:32 AM
I've been looking for a new fantasy series, so THANKS to all for the heads-up. Off to Amazon I go. . . .

Hk Paul
June 19, 2014, 12:01 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the autographed copies. I quite looking forward to this thing. So far the best Monster Hunter book was Alpha IMO. I'm going this one surpasses it.

geekWithA.45
June 19, 2014, 12:05 PM
Women have their trashy romance novels.

I have my trashy adventure novels, of which Larry is my favorite author. Also check out his Warbound series. :)

bikerdoc
June 19, 2014, 12:23 PM
Dead six was favorite.

Sam Cade
June 19, 2014, 12:27 PM
Just brewed a pot of coffee and am sitting down to tackle Nemesis. Y'all might not see much of me today. :cool:

Warbound as a series was better than MHI, I think.

Malamute
June 19, 2014, 02:35 PM
I just got started on them this year. Am reading the last Warbound now, then have to wait,.....will probably start on the Deep Six.

Theres some teaser chapter links on Larrys site, along with a short side story on Tanya, Princes of the Elves, which was funny.

Have enjoyed all of them so far.

Sam Cade
June 19, 2014, 03:07 PM
Started reading at 10:30. Just came up for air at the start of chapter 4. ;)

It doesn't look like I'm going to be fixing the hay baler today. :evil:

we are not amused
June 19, 2014, 11:19 PM
I did a search and could not find a topic of Larry Correia's latest Monster Hunter book. How in the world is there not a thread on it?

Probably because too many of us are busy reading it!:D

Also available at Barnes and Noble and of course Baen.com.

Check out his Grimnoir series too!:cool:

For a really entertaining Blog, read his MonsterHunterNation.com! Guaranteed to make Liberal heads explode, or your money back!:neener:

JR24
June 19, 2014, 11:57 PM
I'm about 2/3 through it. Excellent.

USAF_Vet
June 20, 2014, 02:53 AM
Dead six was favorite.
Since bikerdoc brought it up, here is the link to the birth of Dead Six, born right here on THR by our own Nightcrawler and Mr. Correia himself.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=207390

Worth it every now and then to reread it. Its been a couple years since I did so myself.

Ryanxia
June 20, 2014, 10:01 AM
Glad you made this post, I didn't realize Nemesis was coming out so soon. Time flies.
I've read all the Monster Hunter series and although they're cheesy I like them.
I tried his Hard Magic series which was pretty neat but I just didn't get into.

Fred in Wisc
June 20, 2014, 12:44 PM
Malamute, thanks for the tip on the Tanya short story. Rather entertaining.

Malamute
June 20, 2014, 04:52 PM
I thought it was pretty funny. I hope we get to see her surface a bit more in the future books. Same with Heather.

v8stang289
June 21, 2014, 04:25 PM
Pretty much everything Larry writes is awesome.

For those that liked "Dead Six", the sequel "Swords of Exodus" has been out for a little while now. It's really good too.

http://www.amazon.com/Swords-Exodus-Larry-Correia/dp/1476736111

GBExpat
June 21, 2014, 05:12 PM
I bought the digital version of MH:Nemesis last week and D/Led it to my Kindle Touch.

It is having to await my finishing a re-read of MH:Legion.

I started re-reading the Monster Hunter series a couple of weeks ago and will soon be in perfect shape for wading into the newest addition. :)

BobTheTomato
June 22, 2014, 08:23 PM
OH MY GOD ITS OUT EARLY! Just downloaded!

Sam Cade
June 22, 2014, 09:19 PM
How in the world is there not a thread on it?

*Blank Stare*

Classified.

:evil:

pittspilot
June 23, 2014, 12:08 AM
Larry writes the best pulpy trashy fiction. Nemesis is great. If you like the MHI series, download and enjoy.

Al Thompson
June 23, 2014, 08:28 AM
Classified.

:what:

:D

metalart
June 23, 2014, 03:27 PM
Was a great read... as usual!

Gtscotty
June 24, 2014, 02:12 AM
Either THR crashed the Amazon review page, or Monster Hunter Nemesis is striking a chord with a variety of readers, 5 stars.

BobTheTomato
June 25, 2014, 06:31 PM
Just finished last night after 3 evenings of reading.

Pros: great book

Cons: I finished reading it already and Larry won't have another out for probably 18 months :(

freyasman
June 25, 2014, 11:26 PM
Already got it.... already finished it. Larry's still cranking out the fun...

Intune
June 28, 2014, 11:21 AM
Road trip coming up. Tracking down some audio versions of Larry's works is a necessity!

Sam Cade
June 28, 2014, 01:25 PM
Tracking down some audio versions of Larry's works is a necessity!

Oliver Wyman, the dude that does MHI for Audible is AMAZING. One of the best in the Business.

The Grim Noir series is read by Bronson Pinchot. Yes, Balki Bartokomous from Perfect Strangers. He does Ok.

Fiv3r
June 28, 2014, 06:22 PM
Oliver Wyman, the dude that does MHI for Audible is AMAZING. One of the best in the Business.

The Grim Noir series is read by Bronson Pinchot. Yes, Balki Bartokomous from Perfect Strangers. He does Ok.
I would pay double if he did all of Jake Sullivan's lines in his Balki voice:D

I had no idea Larry's new book was coming out already. I finished up the latest Grimnoir book at Christmas. I'll be checking this one out ASAP.

bigfatdave
June 29, 2014, 03:44 PM
My pre-order shipped - dead tree version incoming here.

I like reading on Kindle, but I tend to keep series in one format, and I started the MHI series on paper.

If Larry reads this - thanks! New MHI goes to the TOP of the reading pile, and I've been purposefully NOT starting anything else.
Larry is one of the very few authors that can get me to pre-order a hardcover.

GoWolfpack
July 10, 2014, 06:54 AM
Monster Hunter: Nemesis arrived on my doorstep on Monday July 7th. I finished reading the book yesterday, Wednesday July 9th.

Before the next book comes out I think I might go back and read all five.

GBExpat
July 10, 2014, 08:13 AM
I am halfway thru Nemesis and thoroughly enjoying it. I read for ~30min every night. Rationing.

Long ago (in Larry's original MHI novel, I believe) I realized that his reference to a "flexible mind" being required for a Monster Hunter also referred to those who wrote about the subject. :)

On An Island
July 10, 2014, 11:19 AM
I just finished Vendetta last night and started on Alpha. Nemesis, I'm on my way - pedaling as fast as I can!

Jeez, don't call Larry's stuff trashy until you've read some of the novels I've come across. This is good, clean, fun, well-done story-telling.

texgunner
July 11, 2014, 10:22 AM
I picked up a hardcover copy at Barnes& Noble yesterday. I may start it this weekend. :)

shep854
July 11, 2014, 10:50 PM
Nemesis was great, along with the maddening hints...
So far, the original Monster Hunter International is my favorite.

GBExpat
July 23, 2014, 01:52 PM
RATS! I just finished Nemesis while waiting for COSTCO to open this morning (I get there early just in case they open early ... sometimes by as much as 20 minutes).

As with the others in the series, I really enjoyed it ... but ... now the wait for the next episode resumes ... <sigh>

:)

Field Tester
July 23, 2014, 03:22 PM
What ever happened to Nightcrawler? I see that he hasn't posted in quite a while.

lesptr
July 23, 2014, 03:58 PM
He hangs out regularly on another site.

Field Tester
July 23, 2014, 04:32 PM
He hangs out regularly on another site.
What site?

lesptr
July 23, 2014, 04:34 PM
WeTheArmed.com

1KPerDay
July 23, 2014, 04:55 PM
BTW the narrator on Audible versions is very good. Lots of fun. Good job, Larry! I know someone famous! :D

theotherwaldo
July 23, 2014, 07:10 PM
Thanks for reminding me - I just ordered a copy.

Guess I'll just re-read the series while I'm waiting... .

Hk Paul
July 23, 2014, 10:54 PM
I thought Nemesis was a great read, but still, the height of the series was Alpha.

GBExpat
July 24, 2014, 07:52 AM
I, too, think that Alpha has an edge over them all ... so far.

kayak-man
July 24, 2014, 09:57 AM
I'm on my second time through Nemesis. Larry is one of my favorite authors, and one of the only ones who's work I'll re-read. Loved his other books, swords of exodus is probably my favorite.

Side note: is it bad that Out of the entire cast of characters, Franks and Lorenzo are the two that resonate with me the most?

On An Island
July 24, 2014, 10:33 AM
How fast does Larry put these out? I've finished Nemesis and need MORE. . . .

Al Thompson
July 24, 2014, 07:33 PM
How fast does Larry put these out?

Not fast enough. ;)

:D

If you enjoyed reading about "Monster Hunter: Nemesis" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!