Polishing out scratched Nickle plate

PDA

JohnM
June 19, 2014, 10:58 AM
I have a nickle plated S&W 29 with some bad scratches on the frame. I figure possibly from where a rivet or something in a holster rubbed for some time.
I buffed them downs about as much as I think I dare with a felt pad and white rouge, now I'm trying to figure out what compound to try to blend in the polished area with the surrounding frame. Any ideas?

If you enjoyed reading about "Polishing out scratched Nickle plate" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Drail
June 19, 2014, 11:50 AM
Plated finishes are very thin - keep polishing it and you are likely to go right through it. You can either live with what you have or have it stripped and redone.

JohnM
June 19, 2014, 11:57 AM
I know it's thin, probably only a few thou. That's why I used white rouge and only polished enough to knock down the worst of the blemish. Now I'm just trying to think of an even less aggressive polish to to blend things in so the freshly polished spot isn't so apparent.
If it was a blued gun I'd probably send it in for a factory refinish.

RussB
June 19, 2014, 07:03 PM
The plating is MUCH thinner than "a few thou" It's about .0002"

two ten-thousandths of an inch

rcmodel
June 19, 2014, 09:08 PM
Your best bet would be Flitz or Semechrome metal polish on a soft cloth to try to blend it in.

But if you used white rouge on a felt Dremel wheel?
The damage has already been done.

rc

Jim K
June 19, 2014, 11:14 PM
Any of the above will remove that plating. Period. Live with the scratches or trade the gun.

If you really want to spend money, have the plating removed electronically, then have the gun blued or replated. It will look like heck, but the scratches will be gone.

Jim

Reloadron
June 20, 2014, 04:09 AM
Nickel I don't believe sticks to steel so over the steel a copper strike is done. When we had problems with Nickel plate on parts we used electroless nickel to do repairs. Unfortunately that was not my area but I would try as RC suggest and if that fails try looking into electroless nickel plating as a repair. Like I mentioned, this was not my forte before I retired but I know the process was used on some very, very expensive parts as a repair / rework action.

Last option is a complete and expensive refinish I would think.

A quick Google of the process brought this up (http://www.caswellplating.com/electroplating-anodizing/nickel-plating-kits/electroless-nickel-plating-kits.html) so it may be worth a Google and more reading.

Ron

JohnM
June 20, 2014, 09:13 AM
I've polished the area with some Flitz and it's all blended in and hardly noticable.

If you enjoyed reading about "Polishing out scratched Nickle plate" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!