IRS notifying insurance companies?

PDA

HisSoldier
June 20, 2014, 07:30 PM
I can't really believe this...
99% of my companies business has nothing to do with guns, but a year ago or so suddenly our insurance carrier, Hartford, dropped us even though there had been no claims. We were told it was because of the tiny bit of gun business we do.
So, we found another carrier, doubled the price and excluded gun part coverage, today we got another notice of closure.

The clerk at the post office said Mr. Obama had a program wherein the IRS, when they discover anyone making guns or gun parts, would notify that companies insurance carrier.

I'm passing this on at the risk of being called gullible. It's clear though that someone told them.

Crazy?

If you enjoyed reading about "IRS notifying insurance companies?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dogtown tom
June 20, 2014, 11:52 PM
HisSoldier ...The clerk at the post office said Mr. Obama had a program wherein the IRS, when they discover anyone making guns or gun parts, would notify that companies insurance carrier.

And Obamacare has a secret clause that invalidates the Second Amendment.
:rolleyes:

Art Eatman
June 21, 2014, 12:16 AM
Odds are that if you check in with some of the firearms manufacturers or with ammo manufacturers, you'd get more accurate information than an "I heard" comment from a postal employee.

And so, closed.

Frank Ettin
June 21, 2014, 12:36 AM
...The clerk at the post office said...You're basing this on something that a clerk in a post office said? How would a clerk in a post office know?

Anyway, see 26 USC 6103 (http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/6103):a) General rule
Returns and return information shall be confidential, and except as authorized by this title—
(1) no officer or employee of the United States,
(2) no officer or employee of any State, any local law enforcement agency receiving information under subsection (i)(7)(A), any local child support enforcement agency, or any local agency administering a program listed in subsection (l)(7)(D) who has or had access to returns or return information under this section or section 6104 (c), and
(3) no other person (or officer or employee thereof) who has or had access to returns or return information under subsection (e)(1)(D)(iii),subsection (k)(10), paragraph (6), (10), (12), (16), (19), (20), or (21) of subsection (l), paragraph (2) or (4)(B) of subsection (m), orsubsection (n),
shall disclose any return or return information obtained by him in any manner in connection with his service as such an officer or an employee or otherwise or under the provisions of this section. For purposes of this subsection, the term “officer or employee” includes a former officer or employee....

It's a very long an involved statute, but the bottom line is that nothing therein would allow disclosure of tax information to insurance companies for the use described.

If you enjoyed reading about "IRS notifying insurance companies?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!