TFL Search Capabilities gone - What Happend?

PDA

g_gunter
April 7, 2004, 07:24 PM
What happened to the TFL's search capabilities? I can't find any place to initiate a search through the threads. I realize it is no longer an active site but it used to allow searches and was wondering if its former adminstrators could look into it?

Thanks.

Greg

If you enjoyed reading about "TFL Search Capabilities gone - What Happend?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mal H
April 7, 2004, 08:25 PM
Rich upgraded (is that the correct term in this case?) TFL to vBulletin V3. The search function is still there. Under the logo box is another box with a menu line at the bottom of it. Search is one of the items. You can do a mini-search there or click on 'Advanced Search' for more traditional options. The advanced search layout is a little different, but not hard to figure out in a few seconds.

[Meanwhile, a few minutes later]
I just read a private note from Rich. He is reindexing all threads and posts. A full search will not be possible for a while as it is a very slow process.

g_gunter
April 7, 2004, 08:55 PM
Thanks.

Greg

g_gunter
April 8, 2004, 12:34 AM
Mal,

Sorry to keep bothering you with this but I am still unable to find the search function. I've been on this site many times and have, up until now, had no problem locating and using the search function. The most I can find is when I go to a particular forum (like Revolver forum) and go to "Forum Tools" and see the selections for "Mark, Subscribe, and View Parent Forum." As far as the Firing Line logo and the menu tree below it, I see nothing that refers to a search function.

I apologize for appearing so dense but, for the life of me, I cannot see it. Is it possible that you may be able to see it due to the fact that you have admin privilages? I don't know. Just wondering.

Thanks for your help and patience.

Greg

tyme
April 8, 2004, 12:45 AM
Can you find the usercp link? You ought to be able to find "search", as it's on the same horizontal segment of the page.

edit... Look for the first horizontal blue-gray bar on the page.

g_gunter
April 8, 2004, 12:58 AM
Hi Tyme,

No. I am unable to locate "usercp" (I know to what you are referring). I even tried to locate "usercp" from the "Find" window (ctrl F). However, I am able to see the "search" function as described when I go to "Members List" but it only lets me search the Members List.

Greg

tyme
April 8, 2004, 01:03 AM
It's on the same horizontal bar as the members list. If it's not there, what browser are you using? There's a space in "user cp"; I wasn't trying to be accurate in its spelling.
see the edit in my last post above.

g_gunter
April 8, 2004, 01:17 AM
Hi Tyme,

Here is the content of the horizontal bar as I am able to view it:

FAQ Members List Calendar

There is nothing else available. I was able to confirm that I could locate each of the three items on the horizontal bar using the ctrl F "Find" feature but it does not see "user cp". I thought "user cp" might just be hidden as a font in the same color as the horizontal bar background but that did not turn up anything either.

I am using Windows XP with Internet Explorer version 6.0.2800.1106

Its weird.

Thanks for your patience.

Greg

tyme
April 8, 2004, 01:41 AM
Blech. IE problem.

To search, go directly to:
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/search.php

Mal H
April 8, 2004, 08:28 AM
tyme, why do you think it is an IE problem? I use precisely the same opsys and IE version and I see the full menu bar.

I just logged out from TFL and I now see only the items g_gunter listed. So you must be logged in to search. If you were not a member, at this time you are SOL. The URL to the search function won't work either unless you login. I will send a note to Rich about that. Hang on a while.

Rich Lucibella
April 8, 2004, 10:13 AM
Hey guys-
Sorry for the confusion...the Search function is now visible to all.

I expected the VB3 upgrade to be pretty basic....in fact, there are a lot of significant changes and some bugs. One of the bugs is that we cannot turn the search function off globally and provide you the usual "Maintenance in Progress" message....that feature simply doesn't work.

Meantime, I had to rebuild the Search tables, which required 3 simultaneous rebuilds each running for 48 hours. (They're about 2 hours from completion now.) At any rate, in order to conserve resources for that task, I turned off the Search function for the largest group (Not Logged In)...thought I could get away with it for a day or two. I should have known better...with upwards of 35 of you on the forums at any time, I should have known that most would be doing research. Sorry about that, but it really couldn't be helped. Next time, I'll put a notice up on the Forum Summary Page.
Regards-
Rich

tyme
April 8, 2004, 03:49 PM
Ah. I didn't consider that, Mal, though I should have figured it out. I blame it on the hour. :)

I blamed it on IE because, well, it was "broken" when I checked in IE without logging in. At least I got the php thing right. It was a php issue; it's just that nothing was broken. :o

Mal H
April 8, 2004, 05:50 PM
Thanks Rich. We 'preciate it. :D

g_gunter
April 10, 2004, 10:48 AM
Thanks for your persistence, Mal (and others). I am now at one with TFL. :-)

Greg

VictorLouis
April 12, 2004, 12:03 AM
I thought that TFL might be resurrected into an active status.:D

Why else the(costly?) upgrade in software?

tyme
April 12, 2004, 03:55 AM
It's not costly. It wasn't anticipated to be very difficult, either, but at least it didn't end up like Bladeforums (which admittedly had some hardware problems not directly related to the upgrade).

In short, if he's planning on reactivating TFL, he hasn't told anyone that I know of.

Sodbuster
April 17, 2004, 12:16 PM
Thanks Rich. We 'preciate it.
Amen to that. Thanks, Rich. I was wondering what was happening also, but any post by me would have been.... nagging? :D Much appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "TFL Search Capabilities gone - What Happend?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!